Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Damn, that's my lobster, caviar, foi gras and truffle stew out :pac:

I was looking into maybe doing a cooking course but wasn't anything really going locally plus they're expensive. This is ideal.

Great idea, WP Khannie.

Actually there was caviar for cheap in aldi recently.... I half agree with Des about keeping things cheap, but at the same time picking up food that's a little out of the ordinary for this could be a challenge in itself, shopping around for the bargains, etc. It would take a bit of the fun out of things if everything was mince and tinned tuna.

Great idea as alway Khannie, I'll be up for this. Only thing is I don't have a reliable oven atm so might not be able to participate every week but we'll see what happens.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Actually there was caviar for cheap in aldi recently.... I half agree with Des about keeping things cheap, but at the same time picking up food that's a little out of the ordinary for this could be a challenge in itself, shopping around for the bargains, etc. It would take a bit of the fun out of things if everything was mince and tinned tuna.

I think there's enough stuff that you can cook without expensive gear in it to keep things interesting. My recipe will come in under a fiver for sure (I have 2 in mind....one of them may come in under a euro :eek: - though it would require more effort).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

we could use one animal at a time, but the deal is each recipe has to use a different cut eg rack of lamb, shoulder of lamb, lamb shanks, lamb kidneys ect.

and then we move onto to second animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm a total lurker in here, have picked up a few ideas and recipes actually! I love to cook so I'd definitely be interested in this :) Cool idea, Khannie!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I think it would be good just to learn a couple of things like sauces rather than simply throwing in a jar of stuff that's already made. I don't know many sauces apart from tomato ones and marinades which are simple enough to throw together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I'll try my hand at anything but Fish would be something I'd like to cook more often.
    Will we be doing just a Main or a starter, main and dessert?
    I think 2 courses would be the ideal?
    And yes lets keep the expense to a minimum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Cool idea, count me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Maybe some type of rotation system would be good. Or, if we want to be a little adventurous, have a 3-course meal setup every week. 3 posters one course each.

As in, we could rotate a simple desert and starter, plus a main. While doing 3 courses at times might be too much, if we work in teams of 3 each week it could probably be done in such a way where a lot of ingredients are shared through courses and the timing needed for each dish can be considered.

Maybe a little over ambitious, but it'd be handy as more people might take part each week (as you could choose to cook the starter, main and/or dessert in any combination of you choosing).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

And photos... or else it didn't happen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

I'm a lurker too for the most part but love cooking only getting into it the last year. I'm deffinately on for it, i love the idea.
    Its kind of like a forum friendly version of come dine with me :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

Just came across this thread. I would be up for it too. I always have great intentions to try something different every week but rarely happens! This might motivate me to do it....:)

kerash wrote: »
    Will we be doing just a Main or a starter, main and dessert?

I'd say let's start off with just one - at least for the first few weeks. If things get going and people are interested we can bump it to two.

Jeez....I'm feelin' the pressure to come up with a good recipe for the first week. :D I'm thinking it might be a dessert. Not sure though. The pressure!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Great idea. Can I play? Don't limit the recipes - why exclude veggies, particularly as a vegetarian meal is easily cheaper than a meat dish? Anyone can choose not to cook the dishes if it doesn't suit their palate/pocket.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I wouldn't mind learning some veggie recipes, either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Minder wrote: »
    why exclude veggies, particularly as a vegetarian meal is easily cheaper than a meat dish?
    I wouldn't mind learning some veggie recipes, either.

Calm down lads, my "no veggie" comment was a joke, my OH, irishbird, is a veggie and she was reading this thread when I posted that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

:D:D:D:D

Best not mention coriander, then!.

coriander

Bant.

Definitely interested too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I'm in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭smallgarden

im in too if thats ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

Count me in as long as there are desserts involved!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭molliesassy

Would love to join too please!
    I try to cook everything from scratch and avoid anything ready-made wherever possible and would definitely love to try new recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I am defo in and will try include gluten and dairy free recipes or convert "normal" recipes where possible to gf and df!!!

Cool. We're starting tomorrow. I'm still not sure about which recipe to go with. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'd love to give it a lash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Khannie wrote: »
    Cool. We're starting tomorrow. I'm still not sure about which recipe to go with. :eek:

I hope I have all the ingredients in my house, because I can't get to the shop. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

if we're starting on monday how about a review of it on fri or sat (with pics )as it will give everyone a chance to cook the chosen recipe during the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

can i play to il bring, some knowllage and tips on how to make porrage so stuck ti a pan 5 days of soakage to remove tho thats only due to poor short term memorey :D....

deadly idea.... :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Hi, I'd like to join in please. Love trying new recipes and trying to change the lifestyle for once by eating more homecooked and freshly prepared stuff! Looking forward to it!

Advertisement