Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking club

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i am happy to use new ingredients but i really dont want to spend my saturday trekking around 25 different asian stores trying to find it.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I don't see too much of an issue in trying an adventurous recipe or two. Sometimes when you read a recipe book you nearly want to fling it out the window, but that's far from the case here. The recipes don't have to stay simple - once the unusual/rare ingredient(s) serves the recipe and instructions are clear we'll be grand. That or we can use a close substitute if one is suggested.

Most of the recipes so far have a fairly short cooking or baking time which probably helps given how busy some people are, simmering for a while doesn't seem to put people off, either. I don't drive, I'm unemployed and my local supermarket has a very limited range of things. However, I discovered an Asian shop in Dublin by accident (was looking for a different one) and will be going back.

[/ramble]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Could I be added to the list? I'm sure by Feb of next year I could knock together a recipe for you all :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Week 7 is up now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Week 8 is up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

pampootie wrote: »
    Could I be added to the list? I'm sure by Feb of next year I could knock together a recipe for you all :)

Done. I've also tagged people that have already posted a recipe onto the bottom of the list. Let me know if anyone would like to be removed.

i was wondering if say someone put up a receipe that someone else wanted to do. could we have 2 of the same receipes and have a bake off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

irishbird wrote: »
    i was wondering if say someone put up a receipe that someone else wanted to do. could we have 2 of the same receipes and have a bake off ?
    Shush you. I have my recipe already planned after a successful trial in the office via a bake-off. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I had planned to do meatballs in a tomato based sauce :(

I'm up in a few weeks, so have to get planning on something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Des wrote: »

Sure there are an infinite number of possible recipes. Do some research!

I'm all nervous about my contribution! :D

• Advertisement

Sure there are an infinite number of possible recipes. Do some research!

I know, I know!

Des - i was asking about your balls :)

could you still put up the meatball receipe and then have a poll where people vote on the nicest receipe yours or malari's

i might not have made that clear :o

I have something else in mind, probably make it Thursday as a trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

If it makes you feel better brown bread and the rice bake were also on my shortlist before they were posted :D Think how people in 6 months time will feel trying to find something a variant of which hasn't already been posted :p

Malari wrote: »
    If it makes you feel better brown bread and the rice bake were also on my shortlist before they were posted :D T

Ah, I know that, it's just funny because myself and IB were just saying last week how funny it would be if someone posted what I had planned before me. :)

Ah, I know that, it's just funny because myself and IB were just saying last week how funny it would be if someone posted what I had planned before me. :)

I waited with bated breath to see what Faith would post the week before me, before I was in the clear! Phew!

I hope this doesn't lead to people trying to book recipes before they go to press. The mystery and intrigue sustains me every Sunday night :cool::pac:

I hope this doesn't lead to people trying to book recipes before they go to press.
    Can't be having that, although I'll be up early next monday and if my new idea is posted, I'll be deleting the thread and banning the user. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have to say I'm really enjoying this project. I'm not much of a poster, but the C&R forum has always been helpful and easy going and continues to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Im up in march and have recipe picked, but also have a back-up one just in case. What happens if someone posts both my recipes :confused:

foodaholic wrote: »
    Im up in march and have recipe picked, but also have a back-up one just in case. What happens if someone posts both my recipes :confused:

Pick something else!:D

• Advertisement

The recipes don't have to be anything amazing or unusual. They can even be your version of an every day food like Shepherd's Pie. Personally I'm always open to improving my recipes, so I'd be delighted with basic ones. Anything you cook yourself will be a suitable recipe.

Faith wrote: »
    The recipes don't have to be anything amazing or unusual. They can even be your version of an every day food like Shepherd's Pie. Personally I'm always open to improving my recipes, so I'd be delighted with basic ones. Anything you cook yourself will be a suitable recipe.

I would think even side dishes would be a good idea, like if you have a really tasty way of doing veg, or your perfect roast potatoes or something. It wouldn't necessarily have to be a full meal?

I would think even side dishes would be a good idea, like if you have a really tasty way of doing veg, or your perfect roast potatoes or something. It wouldn't necessarily have to be a full meal?

Exactly. It can be a starter, a main, a dessert, a side dish, a treat, an occasion food, a snack food - anything you like. Make your own Mars bars? Post that recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think more than anything else it should be a dish that you make quite regularly, or at least one you're very familiar with. That way it'd be easier to give advice on how to cook the dish.

I tried my dish on a trial last night, and it looks smashing.

Don't know what it should be served with though. About to have more for my lunch now.

It's something where I'll be introducing a skill that I think would serve anyone looking to better themselves in the cooking stakes, nothing too complicated, and if people want to try the dish, but not bother with the skill, then they can substitute for shop bought replacement fairly easily.

No cooking club recipe up yet? :( I mean, what am I supposed to eat for dinner tonight? :p

PM sent. Sorry, am up to my eyeballs in RL stuff so completely forgot to send the PM yesterday.

Week 9 should hopefully be up today folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Sorry for the delay folks but I was in a trance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ryange

Can I join the cooking club please.

Advertisement