Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GhostBusters 2016 **SPOILERS FROM POST 1751 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Good News, Everyone! Bill's now saying "well, it's a possibility".

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jesus, the film rumour that simply won't die, how ironic. It feels like every couple of months there's a new twist to the saga: Bill Murray's onboard. Oh, no he's not. Dan Aykroyd says there's a script. No, apparently there isn't. Murray might cameo in drag (I recall that was a rumour some time back). Jonah Hill might lead a new generation of 'busters. etc. etc.

It just goes on and on; it all just feels a little ... desperate at this stage. I'd actually welcome a standard reboot rather than drag on this charade involving the original cast. You'd think by now it'd be obvious that Murray's heart is not in it & any appearance in a hypothetical third film would simply be to the detriment of the script (not to mention the budget)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

At this stage I'm barely interested.
    The rumours are killing this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Nikky_Bellic

I remember being a kid and hearing that the old woman from driving ms daisy was meant to be in Ghostbusters 3. This was around 1993.

19 years later its still not made. This has to be a record.

Ghostbusters 3: Chinese Democracy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Ghostbusters 3: Chinese Democracy

:eek: I know its taking a while to come to fruition but lets not accuse it of being a bloated sh1te just yet!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

According to Digital Spy today, Ghostbusters 3 is to shoot in Summer 2013 with a 2014 release date to coincide with the first film's 30th anniversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

lockie1983 wrote: »
    According to Digital Spy today, Ghostbusters 3 is to shoot in Summer 2013 with a 2014 release date to coincide with the first film's 30th anniversary.

I'll believe it when it actually starts shooting, even then it'll be sketchy :pac:

krudler wrote: »
    I'll believe it when it actually starts shooting, even then it'll be sketchy :pac:

Bit of a Chinese Democracy.
    Axl Rose has been signed up to do the soundtrack for a while now. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Bit of a Chinese Democracy.
    Axl Rose has been signed up to do the soundtrack for a while now. ;)

♫ Who ya gonna call? Buck-et Head! ♫

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I ain't 'fraid of no goats ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

lockie1983 wrote: »

Oh God. I hope it's canned. This won't end well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Not to mention it'll be somewhat of a joke if they actually go with the title "Ghostbusters 3" after a gap of 25 years (probably a record?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

kitakyushu wrote: »
    a gap of 25 years (probably a record?)

Nope: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_longest_gaps_between_film_sequels

Although a lot of those are animated kids films. Bambi in the lead with 63.5 years between parts 1 and 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Would much prefer Ghostbusters 3 as a title then something like "The Ghostbusters" which seems to be becoming a bit of a trend with re-visited franchises these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Would much prefer Ghostbusters 3 as a title then something like "The Ghostbusters" which seems to be becoming a bit of a trend with re-visited franchises these days.

Or the Continuity Ghostbusters!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Wasn't the computer game (which I didn't get to play) pretty much an official sequel anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Wasn't the computer game (which I didn't get to play) pretty much an official sequel anyway?

It was, and it was very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Director Ivan Reitman has dropped out of directing the film in the wake of Harold Ramis' death.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a558638/ghostbusters-3-to-start-shooting-in-2015-director-ivan-reitman-leaves.html

Without Ramis and Murray starring, seems like kind of a pointless exercise to me now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Director Ivan Reitman has dropped out of directing the film in the wake of Harold Ramis' death.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a558638/ghostbusters-3-to-start-shooting-in-2015-director-ivan-reitman-leaves.html

Without Ramis and Murray starring, seems like kind of a pointless exercise to me now anyway.

Yes. Could end up like those Magnificent 7 sequels with George Kennedy and Lee Van Cleef!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I had taken to ignoring any updates on this, assuming anything new would simply be Ackroyd's latest fevered delusion, but I didn't realise there really was a script ready to be shot. Amazing; has there been any leaked info about it, beyond the original cast having minor parts?

Ramis' passing would have been the cue to bring a classy end to this endlessly stalled, moribund project, but seems some are intent on continuing regardless. Smacks of the Pink Panther franchise, where even the death of Peter Seller couldn't halt their production.

I can't see how any final film would be anything other than a complete disappointment at best; likely too a CGI clusterf*ck, with almost no soul or wit. When even Murray doesn't want in, a man happy to have done 2 Garfield movies, that should be a red flag that perhaps the script's not worth shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

pixelburp wrote: »
    When even Murray doesn't want in, a man happy to have done 2 Garfield movies, that should be a red flag that perhaps the script's not worth shooting.

I wouldn't say happy exactly...

http://interviewly.com/i/bill-murray-jan-2014-reddit
    Someone asked "will there be a Garfield 3?"

I don't think so. I had a hilarious experience with Garfield. I only read a few pages of it, and I kind of wanted to do a cartoon movie, because I had looked at the screenplay and it said "Joel Cohen" on it.

And I wasn't thinking clearly, but it was spelled Cohen, not Coen.

I love the Coen brothers movies. I think that Joel Coen is a wonderful comedic mind.

So I didn't really bother to finish the script, I thought "he's great, I'll do it." So then it was months before i got around to actually doing it, and I remember i had to go to a screening room in somewhere, and watch the movie and start working. And because they had had trouble contacting me, they asked my friend Bobby to help corral the whole situation together. So Bobby was there, and you know when you're looping a movie you're rerecording to a picture?

So this was an odd movie because the live footage had been shot, but the cat was still this gray blob onscreen. So I start working with this script and I'm supposed to start re-recording and thinking "I can do a funnier line than that" so I would start changing the dialogue that was written for the cat. Which kind of works, it sort of generally works, but then you realize the cat's over here in a corner sitting on a counter, and I'm trying to think how I can make it make sense. So the other characters are already speaking these lines, and so I'm going "did he really say THAT?" and you're kind of in this endgame of "how do I chess piece myself out of this one?"

So I worked like that with this gray blob and these lines that were already written, trying to unpaint myself out of a corner. I think I worked 6 or 7 hours for one reel? No, 8 hours. And that was for 10 minutes. And we managed to change and affect a great deal.

The next day I came into work and the producer gave me a set of golf clubs, and I thought "that was kind of extreme, especially since I can't go play." And the second reel was even HARDER because the complications of the first ten minutes were triangulated. It was really hard to write my way out of that one. And there were all these people on the other side of the recording studio, and at the end of the reel I was SOAKED In perspiration. I had drunk as much coffee as any columbian ever drank, and I said "you better just show me the rest of the movie." And they showed me the rest of the movie, and there was just this long, 2 minute silence.

And I probably cursed a little, and I said "I can fix this, but I can't fix this today. Or this week. Who wrote this stuff?"

And it appeared that one of the people behind the screen was the misspelled Joel Cohen. And I said "how could you have THAT scene take place before this scene? This can't possibly happen? Who edited this thing?"

And another person behind the glass was the editor of the film. He quit the film that week to go work on another job, so that began a long process of working on the film. I worked the rest of the week on it, and I said "Bobby it is still nowhere near done. But I can't fix it all, we have to try to do this again."

It was sort of like Fantastic Mr Fox without the joy or the fun. We did it twice in California, and once in Italy when I was working on the life Aquatic, we were working on an INSANE place in Italy, with a woman who was a voice from above interrupting everything, I cursed again, and she left to take another job, and that was just the first once.

And we managed to fix it, sort of. It was a big financial success. And I said "just promise me, you'll never do that again." That you'll never shoot the footage without telling me.

And they proceeded to do it again. And the next time, they had been shooting for 5 weeks. And I cursed again. I said "I just asked for one little thing, letting me know." and that one was EVEN HARDER. The second one was beyond rescue, there were too many crazy people involved with it. And I thought I fixed the movie, but the insane director who had formerly done some Spongebob, he would leave me and say "I gotta go, I have a meeting" and he was going to the studio where someone was telling him what it should be, countermanding what I was doing.

They made a movie after that second miscarriage, that went directly to video. So they sort of shot themselves in the foot, the kidneys, the liver and the pancreas on the second one. If you had a finer mind working on them? The girl, Jennifer Love-Hewitt, she was sweet. In the second movie they dressed her like a homeless person. You knew it wasn't gonna go well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

pixelburp wrote: »
    I had taken to ignoring any updates on this, assuming anything new would simply be Ackroyd's latest fevered delusion, but I didn't realise there really was a script ready to be shot. Amazing; has there been any leaked info about it, beyond the original cast having minor parts?

Ramis' passing would have been the cue to bring a classy end to this endlessly stalled, moribund project, but seems some are intent on continuing regardless. Smacks of the Pink Panther franchise, where even the death of Peter Seller couldn't halt their production.

I can't see how any final film would be anything other than a complete disappointment at best; likely too a CGI clusterf*ck, with almost no soul or wit. When even Murray doesn't want in, a man happy to have done 2 Garfield movies, that should be a red flag that perhaps the script's not worth shooting.

I laughed at these comments on IGN:

When there's a rehashed movie,
    and it don't look good,
    who ya gonna call?
    ****ing Hollywood.

original.jpg?w=600&h

Just let it die already.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Skittlemon

Only if Michael Bay could direct and they made exploding ghosts believable would I watch a Ghostbusters re-hash, and even then it would only be to see Shia LaBoef play Slimer. Cos he's a method actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Started new thread cos the other ones were years old, says a lot about the process it's been through really.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/08/02/paul-feig-eyed-to-direct-female-centric-ghostbusters-reboot

So Paul Feig (Bridesmaids) will probably be directing a Ghostbuster film........with a female cast. In a way it's sad the way the film has developed into this. It's gone from Bill Murray possibly signing back on to maybe Melissa McCarthy being a Ghostbuster.

Shudder.

Don't know about anyone else, but this does very little for me. It seems just an excuse to make a Ghostbuster film without doing it properly and without trying to retain some sort of continuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Corholio wrote: »
    t's gone from Bill Murray possibly signing back on to maybe Melissa McCarthy being a Ghostbuster.

Hmmm, not familiar with her. Let me have a Google.

Te7mDqz.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Paul Feig is someone I don't really get. I know he's the "creator" of Freaks and Geeks but it seems like Apatow had a much bigger hand in it and a lot of it boils down to the great cast, which was Apatow's doing I believe? Subsequently Mike White has shown a lot more evidence toward being the key differential between Apatow's standard stuff and F&G.

Has he written anything since or shown any evidence in his directorial efforts that he was actually that important to it all? I know he has some books.

Fed up of all the never ending ghostbusters talk, hard to care at all now when Ramis is dead though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I remember being a kid and this would have been 1994 or 1995 and I read a story in the paper how Ghostbusters 3 was going ahead. It was to co-star Jessica Tandy (Driving Miss Dasiy) but she had died and it accordingly held the film up.

Here we are twenty years later and Ghostbusters 3 still hasn't happened and I don't think it should at this point since Harold Ramis died. It wouldn't be the same with only 3 Ghostbusters.

So I guess Ghostbusters the video game (2009) is the closest we shall get the number 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭OU812

I'm ok with a sequel of sorts, handing things down to a younger crew, even the Bieber/Gomez generation, I think it could go ahead with just Ackroyd & Hudson, maybe a little supporting role from Potts/Weaver/Moranis (if they can get him to appear), but just plain rebooting it, that's wrong. it has to be a direct continuation or nothing.

And keep Melissa McCarthy the hell away from it.

Advertisement