Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GhostBusters 2016 **SPOILERS FROM POST 1751 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ooh hot off the press!
    Bill Murray may play the movie's equivalent of Walter Peck!

Release date July 22nd 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Is it April 1st? This complete and utter **** lineup can't be real.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Dair76 wrote: »
    The internet's hatred for Melissa McCarthy is a little bewildering to me; she has genuine comedic talent. And Wiig is peerless. Anyway, I'll give this a chance on what we know so far.

She does do a good fart/poop joke alright. Oh, she's also great at fat jokes and using the fact that she is fat to make fart and inappropriate sex jokes. Bill Murray has nothing on her. Nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

"Are you, Alice, menstruating right now? Because I am!"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I just don't want to see another Ghostbusters film to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Sounds just awful. Had always hoped I'd see another Ghostbusters movie on the big screen with modern day special effects, even if the original lads were getting on in years. Suppose that came to an end when Ramis passed, but was still hopefully the other three would make it and pass the torch to a younger team.

But this re-boot sounds like absolute rubbish!! Legacy ruined!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,083 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

A lot of the humour in Ghostbusters was understated and sarcastic. I can't wait to hear every joke have some descripter from McCarthy, who I think has only been rubbish due to terrible film choice more than a lack of talent but I can't see her being written any different here.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Liam O wrote: »
    A lot of the humour in Ghostbusters was understated and sarcastic. I can't wait to hear every joke have some descripter from McCarthy, who I think has only been rubbish due to terrible film choice more than a lack of talent but I can't see her being written any different here.

True, basically its going to be a load of poop/fart and fat jokes :(

Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy,Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon

Can we lock this thread out of the sheer disrespect for the original Movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

If you want to see a Ghostbusters 3, you can play the surprisingly excellent game for the PS3/360. It should be about 5 euro these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I'm going to hold fire until I see at least a trailer. As a fan and regular viewer of SNL I am delighted Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones are getting a shot. Took me a while to warm to Jones, but Kate McKinnon is bloody hilarious in everything she does. She'll be a breakout star after this in the way McCarthy was after Bridesmaids. Would love to have seen Amy Poehler involved somewhere but what harm.

Ghostbusters was a comedy/sci-fi starring two SNL alum, a comedy writer and a virtual nobody but it carved out a legacy. This reboot has to be judged by a different standard. It might not be as clever or original, but hopefully it'll be different enough to stand on its own. I say that as a massive fan of the original and someone who never thought another needed to be made.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I don't see the big deal, making them female is a good way to put a different spin on it.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I don't see the big deal, making them female is a good way to put a different spin on it.

It's also an incredibly lazy attempt at making it look "original". Add to that the leaked ideas of having Peter Dinklage raise an army of ghosts comprised of famous people throughout history and the whole thing looks like a watered down, lazy attempt at cashing in on a movie title.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I don't think anyone ITT has cared about it being made a female cast, it's the casting choices that are sh!t and the big deal, there are plenty of better comedic actresses to choose from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The fact its an all woman line up has me out already. Hard enough to find one funny woman but four is asking to much.

Jesus its that bad i would even rather James Franco, Seth rogan , danny McBride and craig robinson.

ricero wrote: »
    The fact its an all woman line up has me out already. Hard enough to find one funny woman but four is asking to much.

Jesus its that bad i would even rather James Franco, Seth rogan , danny McBride and craig robinson.

Hey man! Don't hate on Kenny fukin' Powers!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Dair76 wrote: »
    The internet's hatred for Melissa McCarthy is a little bewildering to me; she has genuine comedic talent. And Wiig is peerless. Anyway, I'll give this a chance on what we know so far.

Are you female by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Hey man! Don't hate on Kenny fukin' Powers!

I love Kenny powers and Craig Robinson just thought I throw their names in there as they usually are seen with rogan and Franco

I love Kenny powers and Craig Robinson just thought I throw their names in there as they usually are seen with rogan and Franco

Haha yeah, seems so. I think they'd both be better off trying to stick closer to Will Ferrell, if you haven't already you should watch the outtakes from eastbound with the three of them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

I don't think anyone ITT has cared about it being made a female cast, it's the casting choices that are sh!t and the big deal, there are plenty of better comedic actresses to choose from

Shame your post is sandwiched between two that do care about the movie having all female leads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Please do share with us why the lack of a penis means you're not funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

I don't know about the other two but Wiig and McCarthy are bleak.

Ridley wrote: »
    Shame your post is sandwiched between two that do care about the movie having all female leads.

Well I agree with DoYouEvenLift. The point I made in my post before him was that switching the gender of the Ghostbusters was one of a few things about the production that has it reeking of going for the laziest way possible to be "original". I wouldn't care much if it was 4 women if the casting choices were better and if there was something to be said about the movie that didn't look like it was a decision made by a marketing/PR guy.

It's really early days yet on this so a lot can change but the early signs have this looking like it's a lowest common denominator comedy featuring ghosts.

EDIT: Regarding the casting, I do admit I know nothing of Jones or McKinnon other than that they are on SNL - which when put alongside Wiig and McCarty biases my expectation of what they will be like. Where's the Egon or Winston of the group. Jones does not equal Winston just cause she's black.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

So would animated talking dogs. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.
    faceman wrote:
    Please do share with us why the lack of a penis means you're not funny?
    Obviously, the funny bone is located in the penis. Also, decades of comedy history proving the ratio of funny men to funny women being unmeasurable?

Obviously, the funny bone is located in the penis. Also, decades of comedy history proving the ratio of funny men to funny women being unmeasurable?

Lets hear your ratios and stats on it so. Otherwise its just a sexist comment.
    Bacchus wrote: »
    Well I agree with DoYouEvenLift. The point I made in my post before him was that switching the gender of the Ghostbusters was one of a few things about the production that has it reeking of going for the laziest way possible to be "original". I wouldn't care much if it was 4 women if the casting choices were better and if there was something to be said about the movie that didn't look like it was a decision made by a marketing/PR guy.

Not as lazy as rebooting a coveting classic. Lazy would be bringing the original cast back to play it safe.

Remember our beloved Bill Murray became more keen on the movie when he heard it was being rebooted with an all female cast.
    Bacchus wrote:
    EDIT: Regarding the casting, I do admit I know nothing of Jones or McKinnon other than that they are on SNL - which when put alongside Wiig and McCarty biases my expectation of what they will be like. Where's the Egon or Winston of the group. Jones does not equal Winston just cause she's black.

This is my frustration with all discussion on the casting. Most people dont know anything about Jones or McKinnon yet are writing off the movie because of its all female cast.

I still fail to see why gender has anything to do with this. Comedians can be unfunny, scripts can be poor and directors can be uninspiring. Gender has no influence on any of that though.

Just to clarify, I'm not one of the seemingly many ("most people") you're saying are making it about the gender. I am, though, one of the people whose negativity is purely towards McCarthy and her not being funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Are you female by any chance?

No, I'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,640 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I don't mind an all female cast it is just the actresses cast so far I have issue with and I like McCarthy have done since Gilmore Girls but now she plays the same role in every film

Feig could have thinked outside the box (or outside SNL) and gone for a better variety of actresses, if wanted some from Bridesmaids, Rose Byrne or Ellie Kemper would have been better, I would have liked to see someone like Lizzy Caplan, Emma Stone, Mindy Kaling, Aubrey Plaza, Allison Tolman or Anna Faris cast

• Registered Users Posts: 19,083 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The ratio of funny men to funny women is probably similar, there are a whole lot more men in comedy, like literally 20-30 times probably so an unfunny woman will seem like a lot more of a representation than the multitude of unfunny men.

I liked McCarthy before the Bridesmaid thing. She was funny in an understated way and I guess I can't blame her for cashing in. Wiig is ok as a side character I think. I presume the 2 SNL women are ok but I'm not a fan of many SNL people these days and think it's only a few of even the men who have been any use in the last few years, pretty low quality once you lose your Haders, Meyers and Sambergs.

Anyway I'm getting off topic. If handled right it could be ok, the problem is there's no way that they are going to handle it right. People will hate it no matter how good it is because it's all women and that's just a fact but that said I'm yet to see a similar project that's gotten a laugh from me so why would I have any different hopes for this? McCarthy has been written horribly for years now and Wiig hasn't carried a project of this magnitude ever. No matter how good the other 2 are the film will hinge on these 2 and I don't think they're up to it.

I see even in a group of women they keep the token black character too. :rolleyes: I doubt that will be referenced at all though. Are they going to make their receptionist be a man now in a typically new Hollywood role reversal and instead of having a strong female character like Weaver the main character's love interest will be an idiot. I wonder which of them will be the token lesbian too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I wanted Bill Burr teaming up with Bill Murray. Just the thought of the easily frustrated and sardonic Bill Burr cursing and cussing trying to figure out how to work a Proton pack is making me smile. What about Jim Gaffigan? He'd be great too.

Well the dream is over anyway!

Advertisement