Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GhostBusters 2016 **SPOILERS FROM POST 1751 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Delighted to see Kate McKinnon getting a chance to star in a big movie like this. She is absolutely hilarious and I'm sure she'll be great, I fear though she may be the only positive. I like Kristen Wiig but she pretty much plays the same role every time. Don't know Jones too well so can't say anything. McCarthy will do her usually thing that some people seem to find funny. I actually enjoyed her in Bridesmaids but she does my head in now. It's basically 'I'm fat, you laugh now!'

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

This looks cringeworthy especially now that McCarthy is involved, apparently fat + obnoxious character = comedy gold

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

faceman wrote: »
    Not as lazy as rebooting a coveting classic. Lazy would be bringing the original cast back to play it safe.

Having the original cast would have lended a bit of credibility but then you just have to point to the Terminator sequels to sh*t on that theory.

Switching the gender seems to the focal point of everything about this production so far. It just comes off as a really lazy way of making this reboot fresh and original by saying "hey! It's Ghostbusters but this time they're women". It's not a major issue by itself but then the leaked idea for the story came out and it was clear the direction they were taking this. The casting of McCarty and Wiig further hammered that nail in.
    Remember our beloved Bill Murray became more keen on the movie when he heard it was being rebooted with an all female cast.

Is "keen" the right word? I thought there are only rumours now that he might be playing a minor role, no comment from the man himself.
    This is my frustration with all discussion on the casting. Most people dont know anything about Jones or McKinnon yet are writing off the movie because of its all female cast.

Again, just to reiterate, it's a combo of the selection of McCarthy, Wiig and the leaked emails about the plot that have me turned right off this. Jones and McKinnon are merely "guilty" by association.
    I still fail to see why gender has anything to do with this. Comedians can be unfunny, scripts can be poor and directors can be uninspiring. Gender has no influence on any of that though.

It's not just gender though, as I hope I've made clear by now. Gender may not be a huge indicator of the direction they are taking this movie in but McCarthy and Wiig are (and the leaked emails).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Lets hear your ratios and stats on it so. Otherwise its just a sexist comment.
    I said the ratios were unmeasurable! And I never even mentioned stats! I didn't make the comment you find sexist, but for example:

"All women are unfunny", is a sexist comment.

"I find most women unfunny, and find men to be much more funny, in my opinion", is not a sexist comment.

Comedy is very subjective. My stance is, I believe women can be funny, but most aren't. The "funniest" women are nowhere near as funny as the "funniest" men. That's not a sexist comment, that's a subjective opinion on comedic taste. If Melissa McCarthy tickles your funny bone, cool, I'm more a Louis C.K. guy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,974 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The gender of the cast is pretty immaterial to me, and like a lot of others I have never even heard of McKinnon and Jones: it's hard to get too steamed over people I'd never heard of until this announcement. Female comedians you say? Fair enough, they might be the funniest thing since sliced bread with a clown nose, but their gender means diddly-squat: 90% of 'funny' men are just annoying to me, particularly the more popular ones, and some my favourite comedians growing up were women (Jennifer Saunders, Dawn French, Sandy Toksvig, Victoria Wood. Heck I maintain a soft spot for Miranda Harte).

I think SNL is utter garbage and can never understand how it continues to dominate the comedy landscape in American TV, but that's for another thread. It still produces graduates who go on to do better things, but equally the output can be fairly embarrassing (take a bow McGruber) Melissa McCarthy is comedic low-hanging fruit and it's difficult to imagine her character will stray too far from her previous characters - to me she's the modern-day / female Adam Sandler. But Sandler has shown himself capable of better things, so perhaps the same can be said of McCarthy.

The choice of director / writer is what bothers me: Paul Feig is a talentless hack who has almost zero creativity or brio in his bones. His scripts are bland and his direction equally so: in that respect I fear Ghostbusters 3 will be nothing more than a sequence of his tropes, punctuated by some overzealous CGI set-pieces to compensate for a flat script. We shall see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Liam O wrote: »
    I see even in a group of women they keep the token black character too. :rolleyes: I doubt that will be referenced at all though. Are they going to make their receptionist be a man now in a typically new Hollywood role reversal and instead of having a strong female character like Weaver the main character's love interest will be an idiot. I wonder which of them will be the token lesbian too.

Kate McKinnon is a lesbian irl. Would be surprised if they made her character a lesbian just for the sake of it though.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    The gender of the cast is pretty immaterial to me, and like a lot of others I have never even heard of McKinnon and Jones: it's hard to get too steamed over people I'd never heard of until this announcement. Female comedians you say? Fair enough, they might be the funniest thing since sliced bread with a clown nose, but their gender means diddly-squat: 90% of 'funny' men are just annoying to me, particularly the more popular ones, and some my favourite comedians growing up were women (Jennifer Saunders, Dawn French, Sandy Toksvig, Victoria Wood. Heck I maintain a soft spot for Miranda Harte).

I think SNL is utter garbage and can never understand how it continues to dominate the comedy landscape in American TV, but that's for another thread. It still produces graduates who go on to do better things, but equally the output can be fairly embarrassing (take a bow McGruber) Melissa McCarthy is comedic low-hanging fruit and it's difficult to imagine her character will stray too far from her previous characters - to me she's the modern-day / female Adam Sandler. But Sandler has shown himself capable of better things, so perhaps the same can be said of McCarthy.

The choice of director / writer is what bothers me: Paul Feig is a talentless hack who has almost zero creativity or brio in his bones. His scripts are bland and his direction equally so: in that respect I fear Ghostbusters 3 will be nothing more than a sequence of his tropes, punctuated by some overzealous CGI set-pieces to compensate for a flat script. We shall see.

I was with you until you dissed McGruber :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Bacchus wrote: »
    Again, just to reiterate, it's a combo of the selection of McCarthy, Wiig and the leaked emails about the plot that have me turned right off this. Jones and McKinnon are merely "guilty" by association.

What do you mean by guilty of association? Lets say the original cast came back and Paul Feig is directing. He has an awful track record as a writer/director. Would Bill Murray be guilty by association?
    I said the ratios were unmeasurable! And I never even mentioned stats! I didn't make the comment you find sexist, but for example:

"All women are unfunny", is a sexist comment.

"I find most women unfunny, and find men to be much more funny, in my opinion", is not a sexist comment.

Comedy is very subjective. My stance is, I believe women can be funny, but most aren't. The "funniest" women are nowhere near as funny as the "funniest" men. That's not a sexist comment, that's a subjective opinion on comedic taste. If Melissa McCarthy tickles your funny bone, cool, I'm more a Louis C.K. guy.

Its sexist. You're segregating quality in comedy based on gender!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

What do you mean by guilty of association? Lets say the original cast came back and Paul Feig is directing. He has an awful track record as a writer/director. Would Bill Murray be guilty by association?

I only mean that in the absence of first hand knowledge of the two, they are a blank slate to me. Given the things I do know about the production though the blanks are filled in a bit by association. They may well be fine actors but everything else has the movie aiming for a certain tone and they are part of that.

Bill Murray does not fit that though, he's a known quantity. He would bring real quality to the production and is a staple of the Ghostbuster franchise. It's a pretty big hypothetical question though... the original cast didn't come back. Would Feig have gotten the directors chair if they had? It's quite possible that the reason the original cast turned down the opportunity of a sequel is due to not being behind what was being proposed for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Ah FFS, was looking forward to this so much when I heard thered be a 3rd, I mean Ill still go see it now and probably enjoy it Id say cos its Ghostbusters :D but why couldnt they just have the original cast in it?! Itd be sooo much better imho, even if it turned out a flop, itd still be pretty decently watchable!

Obv not all the Ghostbusters could be in it , :(, but 3 out of 4 would not be bad at all, as well as Sig Weaver, and the other small yet unforgetable characters :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Its sexist. You're segregating quality in comedy based on gender!
    No. No it is not sexist, and I'm "segregating quality in comedy based on gender", because the discussion is talking about funny or unfunny males and females in comedy! I don't do that when I watch a new comedy film/TV show/comedian or comedienne, I just judge it based on if I find it funny or not, as a whole.

Please, please, PLEASE explain to me, how not finding most women funny is sexist? I said, "I believe women can be funny", but the ones I've seen in my lifetime, going by MY subjective comedic taste, have not made ME laugh much. How, exactly, is that sexist?

It's like not being attracted to black people, does that make one a racist?

Anyways, to further comment on this film, I was thinking about it, why does this have to be "Ghostbusters 3"? How will it really be a sequel, besides trying to make money off the Ghostbusters name? If you want to make a female ghosthunter comedy, fine, but call it "GhostGals" or "Paranormal Pussy Power" or whatever, not Ghostbusters.

This movie has already flopped in my opinion and anyone that is interested in seeing this new one is not a true Ghostbusters fan. The Ghostbusters are and will always be Venkman, Stantz, Spengler and Zeddemore.

Director Feig is just using the Ghostbusters name to create another version of Bridemaids (with proton packs).
    They should simply leave this franchise be rather than trying to cash in on the success of the old movies.

I can say for certain that they will not be getting my cash upon release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This movie has already flopped in my opinion and anyone that is interested in seeing this new one is not a true Ghostbusters fan. The Ghostbusters are and will always be Venkman, Stantz, Spengler and Zeddemore.

Director Feig is just using the Ghostbusters name to create another version of Bridemaids (with proton packs).
    They should simply leave this franchise be rather than trying to cash in on the success of the old movies.

I can say for certain that they will not be getting my cash upon release.

*cough cough* Ghostbusters 2 was manure... *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

is not a true Ghostbusters fan.

That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen.

so going to see a funny movie makes you a pretend "Ghosbusters fan"
    or some kind of phony ?

Get a grip

#ghostbustersfanboy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

They could have atleast tried to soften the blow by including the original cast and have them pass the torch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No True Scotsman Ghostbusters Fan:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

They could have atleast tried to soften the blow by including the original cast and have them pass the torch.

That sounds like a cringey idea to me.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Melissa McCarthy is comedic low-hanging fruit and it's difficult to imagine her character will stray too far from her previous characters - to me she's the modern-day / female Adam Sandler. But Sandler has shown himself capable of better things, so perhaps the same can be said of McCarthy.

She showed in St. Vincent that she has more range than her Bridesmaid type character.

Personally I never thought Ghostbusters 3 was a good idea no matter who's in it but I look forward to the internet losing its sh*t again when this comes out.

This tweet on it is hilarious though:
    https://twitter.com/joeycomeau/status/560658851213901824

That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen.

so going to see a funny movie makes you a pretend "Ghosbusters fan"
    or some kind of phony ?

Get a grip

#ghostbustersfanboy

You are either a fan of Ghostbusters or you're not; how exactly does one be a "pretend fan"??

I am sorry to disappoint you but If you think this movie is gonna be good or in anyway funny you are only fooling yourself but whatever.

*cough cough* Ghostbusters 2 was manure... *cough*

Agree, Ghostbusters 2 was not as good but I think this new movie is gonna be a hell of lot worse.

Deadline are reporting that Sony are planning a male version of Ghostbutes with the Russo brothers possibly directing and with a script from Drew Pearce. Channing Tatum is down as a producer and I imagine that he will play a role onscreen too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Deadline are reporting that Sony are planning a male version of Ghostbutes with the Russo brothers possibly directing and with a script from Drew Pearce. Channing Tatum is down as a producer and I imagine that he will play a role onscreen too.

Russo Bros, Drew Pierce, Channing Tatum..... Or Paul Feig and Kristen Wiig... Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Couldn't they just not have let 'Aliens', 'The Terminator' and 'Ghostbusters' die (semi) dignified deaths?

Dair76 wrote: »
    The internet's hatred for Melissa McCarthy is a little bewildering to me; she has genuine comedic talent.

That lump of blubber is about a funny as Crocodile Dundee's bowie up the swiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Couldn't they just not have let 'Aliens', 'The Terminator' and 'Ghostbusters' die (semi) dignified deaths?
    The first being a sequel already, the second having a great sequel and the third wasn't even left alone by it's original creators.

Yeh, the franchises are what I'm talking about.

Each of them having been churned until the inevitably bad entry turned up.

:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I dont entirely disagree. Harold Raimis has passed on(RIP). The scenario I think works best is Venkman cashing in on the Ghostbusters name and recruiting three or four hot proteges in the hope of bagging one or more of them. Joey from Friends room mate want ad springs to mind:

Newspaper Classifieds Jobs Offered
    Wanted: Apprentice Ghostbuster, no experience needed. For operational reasons candidates must be size 6 or below(sorry guys). An interest in the paranormal an advantage. Don't apply if you're afraid of the dark or are ugly.

Venkman recruiting young hot girls to ghostbust could work IMO. Its completely within his character. Its what we first saw him doing in Ghostbusters 1. As it happens he manages to hire 3 or 4 total babes who actually are interested in Paranormal defence and see completely through his motivations. A cameo with Dan Akroyd where at least one of the proteges make a pass at him would maybe add a comedic element to it.

Thats the only scenario I see working.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,644 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Chris Hemsworth joins Source

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

So the male ghost busters are replaced with females, and the female receptionist is replaced with a male...

I was what they did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

First photos from set have been revealed:
    McCarthy has what seems to be a trap under her arm!

19-ghostbusters-mccarthy-mckinnon.nocrop.w529.h682.2x.jpg

http://www.vulture.com/2015/06/ghostbusters-photos-kristen-wiig-melissa-mccarthy.html

and a reported storyline:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/06/female-ghostbusters-plot

I'm the only person I know looking forward to this. I ❤ Kate McKinnon.

Edit: Apologies if pic is massive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

No Rick Moranis? This movie is dead to me!

Advertisement