Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

My purpose here has been to put it to you that far worse waste which has been allowed to happen without any let or hindrance on the M3 project, which is truly the whitest of white elephants.

Take that to the roads forum. It is irrelevant in this thread. I do remember when the M3 nearly severed the Navan Rail alignment and a boards user stepped in to save it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

sorry but you are wide of the mark. The mk4s are 125mph rated, the lines are nowhere near ready for operation at that speed (they are still updating to the 1970s standards of 100 mph) and the locos are 100 mph rated freight-derived units which aren't really suitable for the job they are doing now

The Mark 4 are designed to operate at 125mph but with power cars and not the current set up. The 201 can't do a 125mph, so if the lines were ready new loco's are needed or operate with power cars instead of loco's which should be what happened from day 1 regaurdless of the speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

dubhthach wrote: »
    Terminal 2 wasn't funded by the exchequer.

So how is it being paid for?

Loans through the DAA - that's us anyway

Some Anglo / pension fund / Quinn type investment - that's us anyway!

Increased parking and passenger charges - that's us too!!

Limerick tunnel is privately financed I believe, but guess what, we seem to be paying for it anyway.

So how is it being paid for?

Loans through the DAA - that's us anyway

Taxpayer havn't payed anything to the DAA and DAA havn't payed anything to taxpayer. DAA is an independent company that is profitable and longterm the taxpayer will benefit. If you wan't to rant about airport living off the taxpayer then look at NOC, KIR, CFN and WAT to start with + SNN bailout.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

dowlingm wrote: »
    Once again you assume, WRONGLY ...
    No need to shout

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Take that to the roads forum. It is irrelevant in this thread. I do remember when the M3 nearly severed the Navan Rail alignment and a boards user stepped in to save it. :)

I was under the impression that the M3 has severed the Navan rail alignment north of M3 Parkway. :confused:

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    If you wan't to rant about airport living off the taxpayer then look at NOC, KIR, CFN and WAT to start with.

What a joke of a statement, Knock is self sufficient and funds itself through a development fee that is paid for by passengers not taxpayers, hence all the complaints by those that pay it.
    Shannon recently had there debts bailed out for 100 million and you oddly didn't mention them, Now you are intentionally acting stupid or are just another Shannon fanboy.

Was pointing out about capitial devolpments at NOC, actually forgot about the SNN bailout so add that to the list but it dosn't have anything to do with the DAA as if it remained under DAA it would not be bailed out so blame some of the arss****** elected in Clare, Limerick area.

Anyway think we should go back to talking about the WRC

IMO
    Yes, Simply no need for it. There isn't the population available to allow for an adequate train service. No point having a WRC with only a couple of services a day.
    Build some decent roads first, they are open to everybody 24/7:D

Taxpayer havn't payed anything to the DAA and DAA havn't payed anything to taxpayer. DAA is an independent company that is profitable and longterm the taxpayer will benefit. If you wan't to rant about airport living off the taxpayer then look at NOC, KIR, CFN and WAT to start with + SNN bailout.

Glad you are so positive about the DAA. They are a government controlled monopoly on an island so anybody getting in or out must fly, bar a few on the boat, hence they can charge the tax payer high prices and get away with it, while killing tourism with the same charges.

The DAA are the same clowns that invested in a €24m plan to build a car park in parnell park 10km from the airport, land since valued at €8m!

The only difference between the DAA and Irish rail is that people really have no alternative to get in or out of the country, people can drive or get the bus instead of the train.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sorry for OT question.

But does anyone know roughly how much it would cost Irish Rail to buy 200km/h power cars for the mark 4s ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

Was pointing out about capitial devolpments at NOC, actually forgot about the SNN bailout so add that to the list but it dosn't have anything to do with the DAA as if it remained under DAA it would not be bailed out so blame some of the arss****** elected in Clare, Limerick area.

Back to 170+ pages seeking its closure? Don't really want to narrow my mind enough to get with the programme.

Glad you are so positive about the DAA. They are a government controlled monopoly on an island so anybody getting in or out must fly, bar a few on the boat, hence they can charge the tax payer high prices and get away with it, while killing tourism with the same charges.

The DAA are the same clowns that invested in a €24m plan to build a car park in parnell park 10km from the airport, land since valued at €8m!

The only difference between the DAA and Irish rail is that people really have no alternative to get in or out of the country, people can drive or get the bus instead of the train.

Of course the DAA only charge high charges, what about FR doubling of baggage charges, passing EU charrges on when no other european airline have, increasing check in fees to passengers does this not affect tourism in any way? and last time I checked all airports were not controlled by the DAA

Of course the DAA only charge high charges, what about FR doubling of baggage charges, passing EU charrges on when no other european airline have, increasing check in fees to passengers does this not affect tourism in any way? and last time I checked all airports were not controlled by the DAA

Yes, I view FR the same way I view interurban buses, an uncomfortable experience to be used only when desperate.

Imagine a future Ireland where FR own Aer Lingus and the railways scrapped in favour of buses. Like Orwell, a bit like having a boot stamping on a human face forever.

As regards Ryanair firstly you don't have to fly with them and they are a private operator. Before Ryanair flights were a whole lot more expensive in the world of monopoly flag carrier airlines. I just checked and you can get Dublin - London for €32, including all the airport charges and taxes, when these are deducted Ryanair are great value, I don't get your point on the bag charges, you get 10kgs for free, nobody is forcing you to bring excess baggage. Checkin is free too unless you choose to pay for it.

Yes there are other airports but nobody living in the Dublin area is going to go to Kerry or Cork, and the Dublin area is where most of the population live and where most tourists want to go.

Over 90% of IRL-UK flights are sold without taxes and charges as with Aer Lingus.

Have a look at Warsaw, Malaga, Hahn and then you will see FR charges add up and do you beleave that a tourist who on average speds around 2 weeks here will not take a case onboard which will cost something like €40 during the summer months. I see it everyday.

My point is that you can't put all blame to the DAA for increased charges as FR like to increase them a lot more. Also Check in with FR is not free its €6 and you have no choise but to pay unless all taxes and charges are dropped. Aer Lingus are the only Irish carrier doing anything for out tourisum and not FR who have no problem paying high charges for bucket and spade routes but do for the majority of the others.
    . Before Ryanair flights were a whole lot more expensive in the world of monopoly flag carrier airlines. I just checked and you can get Dublin - London for €32

We will be back here again if FR/EI takerover goes ahead (IMO it will not).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I just checked and you can get Dublin - London for €32, including all the airport charges and taxes...
    It doesn't include the cost of actually getting into London - none of the "London" airports that Ryanair fly to are actually in London.
    Checkin is free...
    I'm pretty sure it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

/clicks into last page, sees it's all about airline prices to UK
    /leaves confused wondering where WRC thread has gone

/clicks into last page, sees it's all about airline prices to UK
    /leaves confused wondering where WRC thread has gone

FR and bus based public transport - same difference. Get with the programme of the new bargain basement Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

IMO
    Yes, Simply no need for it. There isn't the population available to allow for an adequate train service. No point having a WRC with only a couple of services a day.
    Build some decent roads first, they are open to everybody 24/7:D

Yep this thread is supposed to be about the WRC and what to do with it - like put a greenway on it! But the diversion to talk about roads is of interest - because - as the re-opening of the rail line from Ennis to Athenry has proven - in the west of ireland we are one of the most car dependent - therefore road dependent - areas in Western Europe. With dispersed population patterns - our public transport needs have to be met by bus. And pardon me if I am not wrong but I have yet to buy anything in my local shop that has arrived by train - We have to accept our road/car/bus/truck dependency and make of it the best we can. The network of motorways spawning out of our major commercial centre to the rest of the country has improved supply chain logistics and made it easier for tourists to get to the west of Ireland quickly (personally I think the whole M1/M3 axis could have been planned better), What we now have to do is give them something to do when they get here - like a permanent cycling network that is off road. So what should be done with the so-called western rail corridor.

Answers on the back of a stamp please.

• Advertisement

westtip wrote: »
    So what should be done with the so-called western rail corridor.

Answers on the back of a stamp please.

It would be greatly amusing if West-on-Track took matters into their own hands and got hold of a Parry People Mover, which can run on pretty dilapidated rail, as proved by the Stourbridge Town service.

Then the rest of us could sit back, eat Popcorn and watch the mounting outrage here!

It would be greatly amusing if West-on-Track took matters into their own hands and got hold of a Parry People Mover, which can run on pretty dilapidated rail, as proved by the Stourbridge Town service.

Then the rest of us could sit back, eat Popcorn and watch the mounting outrage here!

Might make great tourist attraction! they would run into trouble where the track has been tarmacadammed over, as along most of the crossings on the N17. Where is goes through back gardens just outside Kiltimagh and where its been bulldozed over with an earth mound for a garage forecourt in Charlestown. Not to mention the fairly permanent looking trees now growing up in the track between Claremorris and collooney - Or the permanent garden fences across it just north of Coolaney, and of course the front driveways of several new hosues built in the past 15 years ---- all given full PP by sligo coco - But of course the permanent way is in the protective hands of IE and the county council planning departments of sligo and Mayo and it is a strategic aim of the councils to support the opening of the Western Rail Corridor!!! - Lip service?

Might make great tourist attraction!

The Parry People Mover could do a Milltown to Ballyglunin shuttle...via Tuam. Painted in Mayo and Galway colours ( both) :)

ride%20on%20ppm60%20button.jpg

Bicycle racks on the back of course. :D

Yes it would be a laugh anway, greenway down the side of the track - it would make a great tourist attraction. You could invite octogenarian priests to wave at passing cyclists from the window - shouting "We delivered unto you":D

Yes it would be a laugh anway, greenway down the side of the track - it would make a great tourist attraction. You could invite octogenarian priests to wave at passing cyclists from the window - shouting "We delivered unto you":D

Slow the railcar to 20kph when passing cyclists..safety protocol vobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Might make great tourist attraction! they would run into trouble where the track has been tarmacadammed over, as along most of the crossings on the N17. Where is goes through back gardens just outside Kiltimagh and where its been bulldozed over with an earth mound for a garage forecourt in Charlestown. Not to mention the fairly permanent looking trees now growing up in the track between Claremorris and collooney - Or the permanent garden fences across it just north of Coolaney, and of course the front driveways of several new hosues built in the past 15 years ---- all given full PP by sligo coco - But of course the permanent way is in the protective hands of IE and the county council planning departments of sligo and Mayo and it is a strategic aim of the councils to support the opening of the Western Rail Corridor!!! - Lip service?

from what i understand the WRC from athenry to sligo hasn't been abandoned so surely IE could order the removal for such obstructions even though the line isn't going to re-open? thats why i believe legislation needs to be brought in to solve the issue of obstructions on lines not abandoned, would be a help to your greenway surely?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The Parry People Mover could do a Milltown to Ballyglunin shuttle...via Tuam. Painted in Mayo and Galway colours ( both) :)

ride%20on%20ppm60%20button.jpg

Bicycle racks on the back of course. :D
    Could something like this work for the likes of Ennis - Athenry, having a high frequency and cheap tickets would be an attractive option.

from what i understand the WRC from athenry to sligo hasn't been abandoned so surely IE could order the removal for such obstructions even though the line isn't going to re-open? thats why i believe legislation needs to be brought in to solve the issue of obstructions on lines not abandoned, would be a help to your greenway surely?

Line survey update may 18th.pdf
    read this .pdf file its a survey of the line last year (May 2011) mainly at the sligo end of the line - which is so unlikely to happen there may be a collective shrug of the shoulders in Sligo coco but as said before yes the line is supposed to be protected but suggest you drop a line to the county manager in sligo or head of planning to ask why the strategic objective of the sligo county plan doesn't match up with actual planning practice. The encroachment on the line already means a Greenway, never mind the pipe dream of a railway is increasingly unlikely. I wonder why the Western Intercounty Railway Committee (AKA West on track) have made very little comments about the encroachment on their holy grail. As well as the photos on this .pdf there are plenty of other examples of the line cutting through what are now peoples front and back gardens, and private driveways. This is what makes the West on Track campaign such a joke, they claim support from the county councils but the county councils simply haven't stuck to their own planning strategy, and instead of campaigning so negatively against the greenway arguments they (WOT) would have done themselves a greater favour if they had recognised at least a greenway will protect and preserve the alignment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I thought there had been money allocated to fencing the WRC a couple of years ago. I guess now I know why the obstructions didn't come to light then, because it wasn't?

• Advertisement

dowlingm wrote: »
    I thought there had been money allocated to fencing the WRC a couple of years ago. I guess now I know why the obstructions didn't come to light then, because it wasn't?

It was a few quid Eamon O'cuivs department had back in about 2009, he mentioned at the last WOT jamboree in May 2009 in the Q&A session - this is the conference at which O'Cuiv mentioned the idea of a greenway on the northern section in a speech that had not been pre-vetted by the army council of WOT; I recall him saying in the Q&A session - he couldn't promise it on an ongoing basis, the money was used to clear away weeds and put up some wire fencing on the northern section but they didn't get far beyond Charlestown. The owner of Cassidys Garage in Charlestown remembers at about that time workers from IE came out to mark their boundary with blue spray paint, he heard no more about them - BTW he too said to me recently he would love to see a Greenway. Anyway O'Cuiv said - if Im asked for money for a new sewage plant in some village in the west - the infrastructure project will take precedence. He virtually said at this conference the norther section would not happen, but this did not make big news on the WOT website or in the Western newspapers. did anyone here mention of the greenway on Newstalk this morning. Good debate in which this idea came out as a strong contender.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement