Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

foggy_lad wrote: »
    A lot of the crossings on the limerick to Galway branch line should be gate less and this would free up money and speed up journey times for the trains and motorists held up by politicaly correct nanny state ass wiping. If you drive onto a crossing in the path of a train past flashing red lights and loud bells or sirens you are not foolish but suicidal and the state should no longer be responsible for your safety!

Foggy it will be interesting on Claremorris to collooney - nearly 300 crossings in 47 miles! What about the cows?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

westtip

calm down calm down all right all right.

My point was merely that train crossings on lightly used roads and lightly used lines shouldn't require full CCTV 4 barrier or even a manual gate. I'm not talking about running 70mph or DART service here, I'm talking about routing non-passenger trains around congestion or flooding. A lot of freight lines in the greater Toronto area are 20-25mph running because you don't have to have shiny UIC60 and the sleepers can have a few dents in them. At that sort of speed the concerns about coexistence with a greenway should be lessened. After all, until my earlier post about IE divesting of unused lines comes to pass, there is a theoretical cost associated with retaining these lines so might as well get some benefit.

dowlingm wrote: »
    westtip

calm down calm down all right all right.

My point was merely that train crossings on lightly used roads and lightly used lines shouldn't require full CCTV 4 barrier or even a manual gate. I'm not talking about running 70mph or DART service here, I'm talking about routing non-passenger trains around congestion or flooding. A lot of freight lines in the greater Toronto area are 20-25mph running because you don't have to have shiny UIC60 and the sleepers can have a few dents in them. At that sort of speed the concerns about coexistence with a greenway should be lessened. After all, until my earlier post about IE divesting of unused lines comes to pass, there is a theoretical cost associated with retaining these lines so might as well get some benefit.

Fair point Dowling, but in reality the freight volume simply isn't there for the WRC even in the way you suggest - and the issue really is one of economies of scale to compare the Greater Toronto area with East Galway/Mayo is stretching it somewhat don't ya tink?

Well if you believe the beancounters, railfreight makes money when passengers don't! Obviously this is limited to very specific instances now that IE have pared back the business and associated infrastructure to very little :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

There is a piece in the local paper today about plans to turn the Athlone-Railway line into a Greenway.

It was presented to Athlone Town Council as part of its Draft Green Routes Strategy.

The strategy was adopted and the idea widely welcomed by the councillors.

It might turn up on www.westmeathindependent.ie later.

• Advertisement

whyulittle wrote: »
    There is a piece in the local paper today about plans to turn the Athlone-Railway line into a Greenway.

It was presented to Athlone Town Council as part of its Draft Green Routes Strategy.

Do they mean the Athlone - Mullingar line? probably do as the national cycle network is planning a greenway from Dublin to Galway - As part of this the route along the canal to mullingar and then the old rail line to Athlone would be the obvious choice, clearly there is no midlands on track movement to block this idea - actually I think the Athlone mullingar line has much more potential as a railway than the WRC to help the west - but that issue has been much debated - good luck to them if they convert it to greenway it will be widely used in the midlands.

anyway as reported in the transport 21 is dead thread - here is one link you won't see on the West on Track website:

http://www.transport21.ie/

Not a mention of the WRC on the link they send you too. tis a pity if the Atlantic road corridor is also killed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

All services between Limerick and Ennis have been suspended due to points damage according to the Irish rail tweets, the WRC is closed.

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/travel_alerts.asp?action=view&news_id=1161

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

with all the rain we are having its only a matter time before the floods are out again too

corktina wrote: »
    with all the rain we are having its only a matter time before the floods are out again too
    Maybe the problem with points was they were submerged?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Maybe the problem with points was they were submerged?

I dont think there are any points where the flooding occurs- the points are either in Limerick or Ennis stations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I witnessed one, singular person on the 1840 Galway-Ennis today at Ardrahan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

The driver :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

You must be blind. The WOT press release definitely said there were 100 people on that train.

DWCommuter wrote: »
    You must be blind. The WOT press release definitely said there were 100 people on that train.

D they never give up they have actually put out one of thier best ever recentlhy http://www.westontrack.com/news247.htm

No mention of Transport 21 website though!

DWCommuter wrote: »
    I heard people were left behind due to overcrowding, they really need 20 trains each way a day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

westtip wrote: »
    D they never give up they have actually put out one of thier best ever recentlhy http://www.westontrack.com/news247.htm

No mention of Transport 21 website though!
    Something very weird about that statement - not one of the following towns actually lie along the WRC (and lets not even mention timetabling so that one train arrives the same time as a second - IE struggle to get that right in Limerick Junction)
    All of the rail connected towns in County Mayo increased their populations with Castlebar up 1.7%, Westport up 7.4%, Ballina up 10.3% and Ballyhaunis up 15.8%.
    But they do live along the Westport - Athlone - Galway route! :rolleyes:

That said, if they had someone convincing working for them, they could flip the argument and say not only has there been an increase in population in these areas, but there has also being a decrease in employment in these areas since the recession. Therefore people must travel to bigger towns/cities for jobs, current fuel prices make driving unaffordable, so public transport is the answer. They can't just up and move, as they have existing mortgages and are in negative equity, so can't sell their house, nor can they afford to rent in Galway and pay a mortgage on their home. So they must travel. It is complete bo11ocks but you'd be surprised how easily some people can be convinced.

But the map, are they really trying to say that both Cork and Dublin have rail links to their airports?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The worst thing about that map though is that graphically it's quite nice :D

well i see its practically straight from cork to slgo so of course it amkes sense to re-open what obviously was a major trunk line in Ireland. We should follow the UKs lead, maybe call it HS3

:D:rolleyes:

But the map, are they really trying to say that both Cork and Dublin have rail links to their airports?

And apparently Ennis - Claremorris is "phase one" of T21 and Claremorris - Collooney is "Phase 2" they seem to live in a land of make believe that if you say it often enough it becomes the truth, they are clearly delusional - even in that latest press release they are stil yapping on about Athenry - Tuam is being planned despite the fact T21 has officially been stated as no more. It is astonishing they continue to misrepresent the truth and its not surprising the media is simply chosing to ignore virtually every piece of "news" they pump out. They have even lost the PR battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A lot of the crossings on the limerick to Galway branch line should be gate less and this would free up money and speed up journey times for the trains and motorists held up by politicaly correct nanny state ass wiping. If you drive onto a crossing in the path of a train past flashing red lights and loud bells or sirens you are not foolish but suicidal and the state should no longer be responsible for your safety!
    And if the vehicle is a bus?

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    And if the vehicle is a bus?
    You would have to ask the driver! Seriously if licencing is so lax in the country that such cretins as would drive onto a crossing under warning can be allowed to drive public service vehicles then we have a lot more to worry about than the waste of resources that is the wrc.

I heard people were left behind due to overcrowding, they really need 20 trains each way a day

Things you won't see on a West on Track website:

Numbers: Relating to those using the "corridor" between ennis and Athenry on through journies along the corridor.

References to Transport 21 updates: Here is an interesting little lift from said website: What is the position on the Western Rail Corridor?
    Phase 1 of the Western Rail Corridor opened this year. While there will be some initial planning and design for Phase 2, further progress will be dependent on a review of the performance of Phase 1 and a full economic assessment of Phase 2.

http://www.transport.ie/pressRelease.aspx?Id=258

For the truth about the future of the Western Rail corridor just pop into Boards.ie

some great attitudes in this article about a 47 mile rail to trail project just kicking off in Seattle

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002276254_railtrail16e.html

Pulled a few quotes from the article - this is a railroad in use but now so light the rail company want to close it down, and an immediate opportunity is being sort with a view to other uses in the future - why can't we just get on with it.
    "The new trail, besides being a potential boon for recreationists, would almost certainly attract tourists, county planners say"

"While the routes are then converted to trails, they can be returned to mass-transportation use in the future"

"The corridor averages 100 feet wide or more, so it one day could fit both a trail and public transportation, Sims acknowledged. But the immediate focus, he said, is to create a trail"

"The scenic corridor is lightly used now, but it was once a major freight route."

Duvernoy said, "this is an incredibly important resource that the public could benefit from for generations."

Facebook going well into th 600's with friends of SMG campaign with loads of councillors, TDs, MEPs and Senators on board for the idea so its all gathering pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Westtip, you may be interested in this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Line_%28New_York_City%29

It's a disused elevated railway line in New York that's been turned into a linear park. An urban greenway, if you will. As it's in a city, it's quite different from the rural greenways being proposed here, but nonetheless I'm sure there's some crossover characteristics. One that leaps out at me is that it has dramatically increased the value of property in the vicinity, and that the local businesses have done well out of it and have begun to diversify. I imagine similar would be true for the various towns strung along the greenways here.

Not exactly on-topic, but interesting all the same.

Aard wrote: »
    Westtip, you may be interested in this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Line_%28New_York_City%29

local businesses have done well out of it and have begun to diversify. I imagine similar would be true for the various towns strung along the greenways here.

Its exactly what I mean about how the SMG will help businesses along the route. Sustrans has done loads of work on urban greenways in the UK and remember the SMG goes straight into the heart of towns along its route - so albeit on a small scale - it will create urban usage of the greenway for local recreational use in towns like Kiltimagh, Charlestown, Tubbercurry. The SMG is not just about tourists but how it will transform lives of people who live along its way. Thanks for the link there are loads of examples from around the world about urban and country railroad greenways, its looking like the inevitable solution now for SMG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i got caught by this white elephant at lunchtime the last day in ardrahan.
    besides the 5 minute traffic delay waiting for the train to pass i noticed only 3 people on the train.

3 people!

3 people holding up probably 100 or more in that 5 minutes.

skelliser wrote: »
    i got caught by this white elephant at lunchtime the last day in ardrahan.
    besides the 5 minute traffic delay waiting for the train to pass i noticed only 3 people on the train.

3 people!
    A taxi would be cheaper! A limo for them would have been cheaper!!

and quicker

• Advertisement

A 275x would have done the job only IE decided to jam them onto a 2700 to form a 3 car consist :rolleyes:

And this is the line supposed to be getting 100mph 200 seat 22K sets?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement