Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i wont ever use either a railway or a greenway on this route but I think Id rather my tax-euro be spent on teh Greenway as Id imagine it would be cheaper AND show a better retrun to the area.

Whatever an ex railwaymans opinion might be, I know that in the UK the two co-exist quite happily so I find it hard to understand anyone believing someone saying that the two uses are mutually exclusive, unless they have their own agenda. Im sure westtip could come up with photos of a cycleway and railway paralell to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

corky posted them up several times in the past - WOT you have to understand is WOT is a movement - that will not flinch in its 30 year resolve. the rest of european peripheral communities grab opportunities like this because they know the benefits greenways bring, I guess once a railway man always a railway man - I am past the point of trying to understand the logic of the WRC campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

westtip wrote: »
    corky posted them up several times in the past - WOT you have to understand is WOT is a movement - that will not flinch in its 30 year resolve. the rest of european peripheral communities grab opportunities like this because they know the benefits greenways bring, I guess once a railway man always a railway man - I am past the point of trying to understand the logic of the WRC campaign.

What we don't know is whether the councillor concerned is a railway planner with access to all the relevant data, or somebody who works on the operational side. Operations people often don't know (and frequently don't care) about the economics of the business, and naturally would favour the railway option over best practice.

Western people seems to delay links to its weekly paper for a couple of days - I think they only leave news articles up for a few days so this link may not work in a few days time - but this is the link to the article "vehemently opposing the greenway"

http://www.westernpeople.ie/news/eysnsnidgb/

Its old news in a way - and I haven't heard many running to the airways to defend him.

It will be interesting to see if they get any response next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Cllr O’Brien has many years experience working with Iarnrod Eireann and one would have to assume he is best placed to know what will work and what won’t.
    An odd remark for what appears to be a news rather than an opinion article. If I knew anyone in the shared greenway sector in the UK I'd ask them to write a rebuttal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

All the crap talked about the reopening of Athenry/Claremorris/Collooney when the powers that be are hell bent on closing Waterford/Limerick Junction and Limerick/Ballybrophy before 2012 is out. The No Trains Authority are like the the EPA and are ready to roll over and have their tummies tickled on this too. If they have a shred of integrity every man jack of them should quit rather than go along with any more closures.

JD - where's the money coming from to keep Waterford-LJ and Ballybrophy-Killonan open?

http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/42427/the-sligo-mayo-greenway-jobs-for-sligo-and-mayo-today

Western media giving the other side a go to express their opinion:
    The Sligo Mayo Greenway: Jobs for Sligo and Mayo todayMayo Advertiser, July 29, 2011.
    Mayo Fine Gael councillor Patsy O’Brien recently dismissed the idea of a greenway along the northern section of the Western Rail Corridor line, north of Claremorris, as “short term gain” and “ad-hockery”. I am not sure what he meant by this term, but the Sligo Mayo Greenway campaign says the idea should not be dismissed flippantly and needs to be examined as a realistic alternative to any proposed railway in the current climate.

Cllr O’Brien also recently said when comparing the idea of a greenway on the route north of Claremorris with the Great Western Greenway: “There is one major difference between that project and the northern section of the Western Rail Corridor, and that is the fact that this particular railway still exists, and offers the possibility of being reopened as a rail route in the medium term.”

I think it is worth examining some of the facts about the rail line north of Claremorris in order to clarify what Cllr O’Brien is saying.

A government report into the concept of the Western Rail Corridor (the McCann Report) published in 2005 identified the section of the line from Claremorris to Collooney for special mention. The report highlighted two issues and stated: “Firstly when it was built in 1891-1892 the section was constructed as a light railway. If it were to be brought into the Irish Rail network the formation would have to be rebuilt to the national heavy rail standard. The second relates to the cost of necessary alterations to level crossings, of which there are a total of 290 along the section, two of which alone would cost €24m to create grade separations.”

As a result of the findings of the McCann Report, the last government only ever committed to re-open the Western Rail Corridor from Athenry to Tuam and then possibly to Claremorris. The only commitment on the section north of Claremorris was to preserve and protect this part of the line. No undertaking has ever been taken to re-open this part of the line, and if you read the McCann report of 2005 you can understand why.

Time to dispel myths

I think it is time to nail a couple of myths on the head in regard to the rail line north of Claremorris.

Myth 1: Rebuilding the Claremorris – Collooney line is not a simple matter of lifting the old tracks and laying new ones down in their place. The 2005 McCann report stated it would be the most expensive part of the Western Rail Corridor to restore should it be considered and there are significant engineering issues to be addressed.

Myth 2: No government has ever committed to re-open the Claremorris to Collooney railway line, despite what you may have heard in the media.

Hasn’t the time finally come to say, instead of campaigning for something that will not happen in the medium to long term – if ever - let’s consider the achievable, and increasingly to many, the more desirable option for this route: A greenway. Let’s get behind the campaign for this idea, because it could happen soon and it would create jobs now.

I am convinced for the Claremorris to Collooney route a greenway along this part of the rail alignment is the most realistic aspiration we can hope for and actually will deliver a facility that will do the greater good for the greater number of people in the west. The number of people using the Great Western Greenway is evidence of the success the Sligo Mayo Greenway would be.

The Great Western Greenway was built for about €125,000 per km, using this as a benchmark, the 70 km route of the Sligo Mayo Greenway could be built for about €8.75 million, yes a lot of money; but put this in the context of the local construction jobs it will create immediately and the sustainable tourism and support jobs it will create in the long term. The project could pay for itself in as little as five years with the jobs it creates and the cost savings on unemployment those jobs replace.

Network of greenways

The Sligo Mayo Greenway could form the backbone of a network of greenways in the west and northwest of Ireland eventually connecting with the Great Western Greenway and allowing cycling and long distance walking tourism in Ireland to flourish once again. What is more, should the railway line ever come on the agenda again in the future a greenway will protect the alignment – and contrary to the opinion expressed by Mr O’Brien it is quite feasible to have railway lines and greenways running side by side. There is plenty of evidence to show this can be done.

The Sligo Mayo Greenway campaign has grown virally on the internet - the growing list of 600+ Facebook “campaign friends” includes many TDs, senators, and councillors and many local community based groups who use Facebook. Go to sligomayogreenwaycampaign on Facebook or sligomayogreenway.com to find out more.

The idea also has the support of Enda Kenny. Mr Kenny sent an email to Sligo Mayo Greenway in December of last year in which he said this about the Sligo Mayo Greenway idea: “Re the Greenway along the section of the Claremorris/Collooney Western rail line. I favour this kind of development…… for relatively small money….. which will have a considerable impact in respect of tourism.”

He followed this up with another email in January 2011 in which he said: “May I also congratulate you on your efforts to date in progressing the Mayo-Sligo Greenway.”

Sligo-Mayo Greenway, Mayo Sligo Greenway – who cares! I guess it depends where you start from. Certainly if I was a Mayo county councillor I would be more inclined to follow the Taoiseach’s views for an achievable project that will deliver jobs for Sligo and Mayo now.

Brendan Quinn launched www.Sligomayogreenway.com in 2010.

Sligomayogreenwaycampaign on Facebook has 600+ campaign friends including businesses, community groups, sports clubs and individuals. More than 20 TDs plus senators and councillors from all sides of the political spectrum are friends. To join the campaign on Facebook put sligomayogreenway into the Facebook search facility.

dowlingm wrote: »
    JD - where's the money coming from to keep Waterford-LJ and Ballybrophy-Killonan open?

Same place as the money comes from to support those lines that lose the most money e.g. Dublin/Cork. Even that 'great' railwayman, Jack Higgins, the former General Manager of CIE stated way back in the 1970s that there was nothing to gained from further closures. The busiest lines lose the most money so why not close the whole lot down?

JD - lose the most money in absolute terms or in terms of profit/loss per seat?

If Waterford-Limerick is losing 50k a month and Cork-Dublin 75k a month are you going to close Cork-Dublin?

I know the nature of trunk lines mean IE can make P&L say whatever they want it to say but surely the time to stop kidding ourselves about what lies ahead?

• Advertisement

All I'm saying is that with the Irish attitude to forward planning why not close the lot down and buy a few Greyhound buses like Todd Andrews suggested? The railways are an increasing irrelevance to everyone outside the RPSI/IRRS/IRN brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

All I'm saying is that with the Irish attitude to forward planning why not close the lot down and buy a few Greyhound buses like Todd Andrews suggested? The railways are an increasing irrelevance to everyone outside the RPSI/IRRS/IRN brigade.

Aircoach is owned by the same parent company as Greyhound.

It's time to get the profit motive back into Irish Transport. Profit drives innovation, customer service and everything else IR is lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Rock of Gibraltar

Just as a matter of interest but does anyone know why the Atlantic Corridor north of Limerick and the Western Rail Corridor aren't treated as a single project?
    With the road and railway sharing the same path, the rail down the central meridian or something similar.
    Was this ever on the cards? or even suggested in planning?

Surely if the if the whole point is to provide fast reliable railway services for the west then this is the way to do it.

stations would be complicated and far from the villages they are serving, but it would produce a better rail line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Same place as the money comes from to support those lines that lose the most money e.g. Dublin/Cork. Even that 'great' railwayman, Jack Higgins, the former General Manager of CIE stated way back in the 1970s that there was nothing to gained from further closures. The busiest lines lose the most money so why not close the whole lot down?
    I know you're being flippant,
    but yes you do have a point, this hourly service to our towns and cities sounds good but is it ever viable given our population density.

Just as a matter of interest but does anyone know why the Atlantic Corridor north of Limerick and the Western Rail Corridor aren't treated as a single project?
    With the road and railway sharing the same path, the rail down the central meridian or something similar.

Surely if the if the whole point is to provide fast reliable railway services for the west then this is the way to do it.

Surely that would be if you wanted a train from Limerick to Galway only
    the problem is that the Western Rail Corridor is a commuter train,
    that is, it stops at all intervening stations - thus slowing down the service.

A fair comparison would be the Western Rail Corridor versus the Connolly-Maynooth service in terms of speed maybe not in passenger numbers.

because the western rail corridor project was never about transport planning it was about the famine.

What is this crap doing in our shiny new dribblers forum????:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

What is this crap doing in our shiny new dribblers forum????:mad:

So the rest of us can continue to teach you lessons.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

Just read the new charter. Surely this thread should move back to the original forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

See this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056344453

On-topic for this thread please.

• Advertisement

I think we could use the C&T thread "Limerick-Galway line" for operational matters affecting travellers while the WRC thread dealt with issues north of Athenry, greenways and what not?

Not sure why this thread has been moved but there you go. The momentum of the SM Greenway idea gathers pace. This piece in the Farming section of the Independent by John Mulligan lays out all arguments brilliantly.

http://www.independent.ie/farming/news-features/getting-walkways-on-track-is-a-route-to-rural-riches-2836821.html
    Getting walkways on track is a route to rural riches
    Taking steps to develop more of our defunct rail lines would bring huge growth to dying areas

Tuesday August 02 2011 farming section of the Independent

At its peak in the 1920s, Ireland had more than 5,000km of railway, but sections closed as traffic declined and only lines connecting large centres of population to the capital have survived the switch to road transport.

The growth of private car ownership, improved roads and more efficient management of freight distribution have all contributed to the demise of the railways. The earlier canal network itself declined with the onset of the railway age.

All technology, it seems, has its cycle.

The demise of this infrastructure has left us with a residual legacy of routes driven through the countryside by the railwaymen and the canal companies. In the present difficult climate, how can we best use these corridors for the benefit of local communities and the country as a whole? In the case of the railways, should we cling to dreams of reopening lines at some time in the future or move now to extract value from these assets, bringing jobs and growth to areas that have declined in tandem with the original networks?

The most obvious approach works well elsewhere -- using defunct rail lines as cycling and walking routes to attract and retain tourists in the areas once served by the lines. In Britain, considerable sections of these old routes have been transformed into cycling and walking trails, not only increasing tourist numbers but also creating local amenities that are far safer than busy roadways for cyclists and walkers.

In the US, railway trails are popular destinations in themselves; the Cape Cod rail trail has spawned an entire tourist industry with bicycle hire, cafes and accommodation businesses flourishing along its length. The New Zealand Rail Trail through the old mining district of Central Otago supports more than 100 accommodation providers and dozens of other businesses along its 150km route, and is a destination of choice not only for New Zealanders but for tourists from all over the world.

The alternative view suggests that some of the more recently retired lines can be reopened. The lobby group "West on Track" is opposed to any proposals to exploit the Mayo-Sligo corridor for short-to-medium term tourism development, preferring to wait until conditions favour the reopening of the line to rail traffic.

Although the somewhat optimistic plans of the last Government only ever included a reopening of the rail line from Ennis to Claremorris, the campaigners feel that it may be possible to complete the rail link all the way to Sligo, turning the clock back to restore the infrastructure of the early 1900s.

Other observers dispute this. Brendan Quinn, the Sligo-based promoter of a proposal to create a cycling and walking route from Claremorris to Collooney, believes that this project would bring life to towns and communities along the route, repeating the success of the recently opened route from Newport to Achill.

Mr Quinn believes that a harvest of 'tired, hungry tourists' can deliver far more benefit to the west of Ireland than the weed and briar crop that currently chokes the old railway route.

There are other proposals out there too. Campaigners in Donegal, mindful of the success of the Newport-Achill greenway, want the old Donegal railway network reopened as a cycling and walking trail. In Leitrim, others have a similar view around the old Sligo, Leitrim and Northern Counties Railway that links Sligo and Enniskillen. In the South-west, campaigners want to extend the successful Rathkeale-Abbeyfeale rail trail onwards to its original destination in Tralee.

It has taken 20 years of lobbying and voluntary commitment to get the Limerick section completed, but now the county has a facility that is internationally recognised as the best of its kind.

However, as local campaigner Denis McAuliffe points out, the real potential of the trail cannot be exploited because of opposition to plans to extend it to Tralee. Despite the obvious success of the project, local objectors seem set to block any attempt to complete the route through North Kerry.

People who oppose the development of trails appear to take that stance for a variety of reasons, some logical, others less so. There is a fear that walkers and cyclists passing along designated trails are somehow a threat and might trespass, leave gates open, or damage crops.

In fact, such fears could more correctly be directed at motorists; most rural crime tends to involve a vehicle of some kind. In some cases, farmers who have been squatting on long-closed lines or canal banks for decades are reluctant to relinquish the extra strip of land involved.

In the case of the Mayo-Sligo Greenway, there is a genuinely held belief that the railway will be reopened, despite the lack of any plans by Government for such an outcome and notwithstanding that funding for any such project is a couple of decades away, at best.

Part of the reason for these objections is fear; fear of the unknown, fear of change, but also an 'I'm all right, Jack' attitude that disconnects the objectors' own concerns from the well-being of the communities in which they live.

A minority of people in rural areas fail to make the connection between this kind of progress and any benefit to themselves, believing that, at best, the development of a trail through their area might result in a few euro for the local bike shop, and little else.

The reality is far different. Because of the lack of long-distance walking routes in Ireland, I do what many Irish hikers do -- I take holidays in Britain and elsewhere to avail of the excellent long-distance routes available in those countries.

Last year, while overnighting at a rural pub and bed and breakfast beside England's Hadrian's Wall Path, I got in conversation with a Northumberland sheep farmer about wayleaves (much of the trail is across private land), and about the influx of tourists that the Wall has brought to that part of the world. I expected some opposition, but his response surprised me.

Far from objecting, he was delighted that the path had been opened. I explained the problems that faced tourism development in Ireland, and the local objections that kept tourists away from rural areas, particularly walking and cycling tourists. Such an attitude hadn't even occurred to him when the idea of the Hadrian's Wall Path was first mooted.

"Before the path came," he said, "this pub was closed. We had to drive 20 miles if we wanted a pint. Now me and the wife can drop down for a beer, or a bit of food, and we meet very interesting people from all over the world."

I asked him whether other farmers felt the same. He told me of friends who had turned disused sheds to a new use, charging walkers £10 a night to roll out their sleeping bags on bunks in communal camping barns.

Some of them were making more money from an old barn than they did from the farm, which "wouldn't be hard", he added wryly. He told me of a small filling station and shop that was able to continue to serve the locality because of the business that tourism brought to the area.

He didn't have one negative viewpoint, and I found his attitude repeated all along the route as I spoke to farmers and business owners. A parade of 'tired, hungry tourists' passing your gate is a cash crop, it seems; they need food and somewhere to sleep.

In Ireland, we lag well behind Europe when it comes to attracting Irish and foreign tourists to the growing area of walking and cycling.

Hungary, a country about the same size as Ireland, has thousands of kilometres of dedicated cycling trails. Britain puts us to shame, and gets the visitors that we could get, if we tried. A Failte Ireland report in 2006 clearly showed that cycling tourists were turning their backs on Ireland, but much of Failte Ireland's policy on cycling still centres on 'hubs and loops', ignoring the requirement for long-distance routes that is at the core of cycling tourism.

Most of the attempts to deal with this issue have come from voluntary groups and individuals; official leadership has been lacking to date.

The result has been a series of plans -- some coming to fruition -- for isolated sections of greenway that are useful in themselves but which do not feed into a national plan and fall short of creating a marketable tourism product. There is no overall strategy that will deliver a combined walking/cycling network, linking major centres of population with scenic areas where people can enjoy our great outdoors safely and in comfort.

It is a simple matter to join the dots and put such a plan in place (see panel, above), but somebody needs to take charge. Too many disparate groups are involved at present; there is no overall strategy, no vision.

Failte Ireland is fragmented

into too many subsets, the NRA is part of a brief for cycling only, Waterways Ireland has no funds and no remit to provide pathways along canal banks, and attitudes across the local authority areas range from supportive to indifferent.

Somebody at cabinet level needs to pull it all together, to bring sustainable tourism and growth to rural communities for the benefit of us all.

John Mulligan is a hiking enthusiast and an author of several books

- John Mulligan

Maybe the answer to situations like the Rathkeale one is to gradually extend the trail rather than in a big bang, a couple of miles every year. As soon as resistance is met from Pat Kenny style land taking, efforts are concentrated on removing the blockage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭what_traffic

westtip wrote: »
    Not sure why this thread has been moved but there you go. The momentum of the SM Greenway idea gathers pace. This piece in the Farming section of the Independent by John Mulligan lays out all arguments brilliantly.

http://www.independent.ie/farming/news-features/getting-walkways-on-track-is-a-route-to-rural-riches-2836821.html

FYI. This is off the current thread topic; but shows greenway concept is gaining momentum in Galway. Can only make case stronger for the Mayo -> Sligo GM
    In todays Connacht Tribune:

http://www.galwaynews.ie/20820-old-clifden-rail-line-be-turned-%E2%82%AC6m-cycle-track
    Old Clifden rail line to be turned into €6m cycle track

August 4, 2011 - 7:00am
    by Declan Tierney

FYI. This is off the current thread topic; but shows greenway concept is gaining momentum in Galway. Can only make case stronger for the Mayo -> Sligo GM
    In todays Connacht Tribune:

http://www.galwaynews.ie/20820-old-clifden-rail-line-be-turned-%E2%82%AC6m-cycle-track
    Old Clifden rail line to be turned into €6m cycle track

August 4, 2011 - 7:00am
    by Declan Tierney

Indeed it can only make sense, the problem we have on Sligo Mayo Greenway is the lobby against the idea of improving tourism infrastructure - a group who continue to hold on to the ill conceived idea that a railway is going to be re-opened on this long forgotten stretch of 19th century rail line that is crying out for a 21st century treatment as a greenway. The decision on SMgreenway will have to be made at the top level of government or I fear the debate as to what to do with this section of line will continue ......for many many years to come. Of course the Galway Clifden Greenway will boost tourism even more in Galway -in the meantime Sligo Coco will stay asleep to the opportunity staring them in the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭teol

Greenway for Western Rail Corridor ruled out

The Western Regional Authority has a passed a motion ruling out the notion of a greenway on any part of the Western Rail Corridor. The motion was proposed by Sinn Fein and received unanimous cross-party support, with Fine Gael, Fianna Fail, Labour and Independents all supporting the motion.

Proposing the motion, Charlestown councillor, Gerry Murray said it was vital that no developments take place on any part of the corridor that could compromise its future prospects in terms of opening the line for passenger and freight transport.

Cllr Murray said “The Western Rail Corridor is an already existing critical piece of transport infrastructure and when the entire network is opened it will link seven of Ireland’s cities. In particular, the Claremorris-Collooney section will play an important role in the future development of Ireland West Airport.

"While there is strong case to have greenways on the old Westport to Achill line and the Galway to Clifden line, those former rail lines do not have the same strategic importance as the Western Rail Corridor which remains in existence and retains its status as a railway. In that context it is imperative that the line from Athenry to Colloney is reserved exclusively for rail transport. The opening of the line will, in the future, offer great opportunities to towns like Charlestown, Swinford, Kiltimagh and Claremorris in terms of tourism and economic development, thus helping to ensure their future sustainability.

“In terms of the ongoing campaign to open the entire line this motion is therefore very significant as it once again confirms not just merely the cross party support that exists for the project, but also the consensus among all Public Representatives in the western region that no development should take place either on or adjacent to the Western Rail corridor that would in any way undermine the opening of the line into the future. Finally, I would like to all thank all my colleagues on the regional authority for supporting this motion,” Cllr Murray added.

http://mayotoday.ie/index.php/browse-mayo-news-by-category/mayo-politics/item/3321-greenway-for-western-rail-corridor-ruled-out.html

These guys are living in fantasy land.

Here is a picture of the clown:
    43e9ac92f41ea3851cd5bce6f8ef174b_L.jpg - Cllr Gerry Murray

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

teol wrote: »
    Here is a picture of the clown:
    No need for gratuitous insults.

Proposing the motion, Charlestown councillor, Gerry Murray said it was vital that no developments take place on any part of the corridor that could compromise its future prospects in terms of opening the line for passenger and freight transport.
    If only that policy had been in place for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭teol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

teol wrote: »
    Build it and they will come!! WOT must know that with so few cars traveling the "corridor" and considering how any train even tilting or all singing and dancing trains are going to take much longer than driving and cost a small fortune more in a week for the average commuter that this line is doomed to failure and has been since roughly the turn of the 20th century. Some auld fella in Irish rail just wants his own private train set to sit on all day during his retirement and reminisce about the good old days of steam CIE and the comrades in the union.

• Advertisement

could it be that some of those councillors or their friends have drives built over the formation or other sundry vested interests? It wont get built, they must know that, so they must have an ulterior motive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement