Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

More coverage in Western media about the Western Rail Corridor - what next

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Buffers. I like that!

Sligo champion covered the greenway on the WRC story this week with the information about the Ear to the Ground shoot on the greenway route about two weeks ago. Interesting that the Champion didn't get any comment from WOT for this article, perhaps the Champion only sees the Greenway as the possible contender now.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭sonnyblack

westtip wrote: »
    Yet more coverage about the greenway route on the Western Rail Corridor this one is from the Tuam Herald today. Great article which asks Galway coco a few searching questions:

I'm new enough to Boards as a member and have stumbled across this thread. I'm finding the whole railway/greenway debate very interesting. One question though. Varadkar seems to be saying that overlaying greenways on old railway lines can only be considered if the local council is supportive. All the Galway councillers are against the proposal. Aren't they?

sonnyblack wrote: »
    I'm new enough to Boards as a member and have stumbled across this thread. I'm finding the whole railway/greenway debate very interesting. One question though. Varadkar seems to be saying that overlaying greenways on old railway lines can only be considered if the local council is supportive. All the Galway councillers are against the proposal. Aren't they?

Probably one for Tuam Greenway project to answer, but yes an overwhelming majority of Galway councillors voted against the jobs and tourism potential a greenway could offer from Tuam northwards recently - TGP should come in and make a post they are closer to the anti-tourism stance taken by Galway coco.

but you are quite right unless the councils adopt a pro-tourism stance and support the greenway proposals on the WRC and actually go and knock on Varadkar and Kellys door saying this is what the people of the west want we won't get the greenways we are asking for to protect the rail route. Of course since Galway coco made their anti-tourism views known and voted against the Tuam Greenway project we have all learnt over the past few weeks that the extension of the WRC north of Athenry is not going to happen, that Varadkar and Kelly both support the development of greenways on old rail routes - and Irish Rail will welcome any interaction with any councils who support greenways on old rail lines running through their respective counties. Now Galway county councillors are aware of the situation they may reconsider their anti-tourism stance when they return to the chamber in September - but who knows!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

they are against it now, but public opinion seems to be moving in favour of greenways and the politicians will follow the votes....they wrongly perceived that being pro-rail would make them popular...being anti-greenway may well make them the opposite!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tuam Greenway Project

sonnyblack wrote: »

Galway County Council voted against funding for a 5km Greenway as part of the Cycling Strategy. As long as Government and Ministers hold out even the slimmest of hope of a reinstatement of the rail line the councillors have little choice but to vote with "stated council policy". The biggest obstacle to movement from nothing ( in either direction ) is the electoral system which allows far fetched promises from councillors and TD's to be flogged out in a 5 yearly cycle. We had hoped that Minister Varadkar or Kelly might be the ones to show a bit of courage and vision. We haven't given up on them yet. And if its a case of 12 Angry Men in Galway County Council- we have our Henry Fonda well ensconced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Strange behaviour from Galway County Council considering that they have been putting in the work on creating a 55km Greenway from Oughterard to Clifden. Note though that it it Failte Ireland that are putting money towards the construction of the Connemara Greenway.

They put €2 million towards the Great Western(Westport to Achill) Greenway
    http://www.failteireland.ie/Utility/Media-Centre/Greenway-Proves-the-Right-Way-for-Tourism.aspx

Is it the County Executive or the Cllr's that is the REAL barrier here?
    Perhaps the North Galway Cllr's will need to see the success of the Connemara Greenway in action? Cllr's in the Connemara Ward are far more likely to value Tourisim though considering it's importance in the Connemara region.
    Is Failte Ireland needed to get on Board regarding the Tuam to Colloney Greenway? If you could get a promise from them to fund say 500,000 to start with - the local Cllr's would be perhaps reluctant to be seen as a barrier to NOT spending money in the locality. i.e the jobs in construction and materials that would need to be purchased in creating the Greenway

Galway County Council voted against funding for a 5km Greenway as part of the Cycling Strategy. As long as Government and Ministers hold out even the slimmest of hope of a reinstatement of the rail line the councillors have little choice but to vote with "stated council policy". The biggest obstacle to movement from nothing ( in either direction ) is the electoral system which allows far fetched promises from councillors and TD's to be flogged out in a 5 yearly cycle. We had hoped that Minister Varadkar or Kelly might be the ones to show a bit of courage and vision. We haven't given up on them yet. And if its a case of 12 Angry Men in Galway County Council- we have our Henry Fonda well ensconced.

I think the only Minister supporting the WRC these days is Michael Ring - he doesn't want to see the greenway network expanded in Mayo or the rest of the west for fear it will "steal" cycling tourists from Westport. He therefore supports the WRC knowing it will never be delivered but stops the greenway from happening protecting the mayo greenway as the only greenway in the west. One thing is for sure he is staying on the fence - I think Varadkars and Kellys views are known on this one at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tuam Greenway Project

Strange behaviour from Galway County Council considering that they have been putting in the work on creating a 55km Greenway from Oughterard to Clifden. Note though that it it Failte Ireland that are putting money towards the construction of the Connemara Greenway.

They put €2 million towards the Great Western(Westport to Achill) Greenway
    http://www.failteireland.ie/Utility/Media-Centre/Greenway-Proves-the-Right-Way-for-Tourism.aspx

Is it the County Executive or the Cllr's that is the REAL barrier here?
    Perhaps the North Galway Cllr's will need to see the success of the Connemara Greenway in action? Cllr's in the Connemara Ward are far more likely to value Tourisim though considering it's importance in the Connemara region.
    Is Failte Ireland needed to get on Board regarding the Tuam to Colloney Greenway? If you could get a promise from them to fund say 500,000 to start with - the local Cllr's would be perhaps reluctant to be seen as a barrier to NOT spending money in the locality. i.e the jobs in construction and materials that would need to be purchased in creating the Greenway

Our informed understanding is that the Executive are pro greenway. The Cllr's are the barrier. The Tuam electoral area contains 7 ( soon to be 8) Cllrs and the Council as a whole would probably row in behind a majority of these. With one supporter already on side, we just need another 3 or 4 to see the merits and the blockade will be broken. With an election just around the corner TGP will be making sure that this is a real live local issue. The candidates who choose to oppose better have good explantions of their oppostion to the greenway ready as the people of north Galway won't be as accepting of bluster and guff this time around.

• Advertisement

The Cllr's are the barrier.

Great isn't it - Good comment TGP - the Cllrs are the barrier to creating jobs in tourism!! they are something else aren't they!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I think the only Minister supporting the WRC these days is Michael Ring - he doesn't want to see the greenway network expanded in Mayo or the rest of the west for fear it will "steal" cycling tourists from Westport. He therefore supports the WRC knowing it will never be delivered but stops the greenway from happening protecting the mayo greenway as the only greenway in the west. One thing is for sure he is staying on the fence - I think Varadkars and Kellys views are known on this one at this stage.
    Supposition or has he actually said anything of this?

dowlingm wrote: »
    Supposition or has he actually said anything of this?

I said "I think" so yes there is an element of supposition, however a SinnFein/West on Track councillor from Mayo coco on Mid West Radio last week, referred to Michael Ring as being a great supporter of the WRC. The rest of the post is somewhat conjecture which I think is allowed in debate; so perhaps we should seek a definitive statement from the Minister for tourism - does he want a major piece of tourism infrastrucure connecting Mayo with Sligo and on to Leitrim, Cavan and the North or does he want to see the WRC continue to remain a wasteland strip of state owned land used for nothing? I will drop him a line and ask him....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

I said "I think" so yes there is an element of supposition, however a SinnFein/West on Track councillor from Mayo coco on Mid West Radio last week, referred to Michael Ring as being a great supporter of the WRC. The rest of the post is somewhat conjecture which I think is allowed in debate; so perhaps we should seek a definitive statement from the Minister for tourism - does he want a major piece of tourism infrastrucure connecting Mayo with Sligo and on to Leitrim, Cavan and the North or does he want to see the WRC continue to remain a wasteland strip of state owned land used for nothing? I will drop him a line and ask him....:D

My take on this is that Ring is just doing what he does best -- riding two horses. A 'cute hoor' politician will never come down on one side of an argument if he can avoid it; why upset any potential voter by voicing an opinion when a load of waffle and codswallop is what voters want to hear.
    Ring's primary interest, like many of his peers, is getting votes. If he suddenly started caring about voters in places other than Westport, that would be a first for any politician. The assumption that he is reluctant to 'dilute' the cycling tourism numbers in Westport and Newport by extending the greenway into East Mayo and Sligo is probably valid enough. Why would he do anything to upset a winning formula?
    If the Sinn Fein/West on Track spokesman claims support from Ring, he is probably telling the truth as he understands it, but politicians are quite capable of telling all sides what they want to hear.

eastwest wrote: »
    My take on this is that Ring is just doing what he does best -- riding two horses..

Pretty much my take on it really - dowlingm I think this sums it up from East west really.

corktina wrote: »
    they are against it now, but public opinion seems to be moving in favour of greenways and the politicians will follow the votes....they wrongly perceived that being pro-rail would make them popular...being anti-greenway may well make them the opposite!

Spot on. Politicians are always slow to respond to trends, but they will slowly come over to the side of logic once they can show that they were really on that side all the time.
    The influence of anti-tourism groups with regards to this strip of public land is waning; the days when politicians slavishly follow the WOT line are numbered. Once they begin to see where the votes are, they will shuffle over to the pro-tourism and pro-jobs side.
    In my view, we will see the first proposals for a greenway coming from councillors in the next year, probably in Mayo or Sligo. Galway will be more difficult, and it may take the introduction of a few young and bright independent candidates into the local election campaign to get movement on this issue. It will happen though, the railway option is now firmly consigned to the back burner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

eastwest wrote: »
    Spot on. Politicians are always slow to respond to trends, but they will slowly come over to the side of logic once they can show that they were really on that side all the time.
    The influence of anti-tourism groups with regards to this strip of public land is waning; the days when politicians slavishly follow the WOT line are numbered. Once they begin to see where the votes are, they will shuffle over to the pro-tourism and pro-jobs side.
    One of the things that always amazes me about politicians is that they are so reluctant to simply say "I've changed my mind". Ordinary people say this all the time, so why not politicians? It's not a U-turn, it's a change of mind, based on new information etc.

Anyway, I don't think it's that great a stretch for a politician to say to a potential voter - "I was in favour of the railway and still am. However, there will be no funding coming for a railway for the next ten years - if ever. In the meantime, I think the community could make use of this state-owned facility by turning it into a Greenway. To that end I am calling on the Minister ...".

Would voters really hang someone for expressing that point of view? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I don't doubt that Ring is a chancer, don't get me wrong.

serfboard wrote: »
    Anyway, I don't think it's that great a stretch for a politician to say to a potential voter - "I was in favour of the railway and still am. However, there will be no funding coming for a railway for the next ten years - if ever. In the meantime, I think the community could make use of this state-owned facility by turning it into a Greenway. To that end I am calling on the Minister ...".

Would voters really hang someone for expressing that point of view? I don't think so.

Can you imagine living in such a world??? Serf this post is so good I have just sent it to Michael Ring and every member of Galway Mayo and sligo county councils.

Can you imagine living in such a world??? Serf this post is so good I have just sent it to Michael Ring and every member of Galway Mayo and sligo county councils.

Anyone who read Noel Browne's book, 'against the tide' will see the similarities with the political interface with WOT. When Browne started to build hospitals he was taken to task by Mark Killelea who berated him for removing an important long term and vague unachievable goal from the list of election promises. Like draining the Shannon, all politicians like to have vague promises about big projects in their armoury, even though they know well that these promises can never be delivered on.
    The more things change, the more they remain the same. The worst thing that could happen to many politicians in he north west would be if the WRC was actually built. The next worst case scenario would be anything tangible, like a greenway.

• Advertisement

In the case of Sligo county council and their current stance on the Greenway versus Railway debate, there really should be no issue. Sligo county council has already voted and approved for the objective of a greenway on the route - it is part of the county plan 2011/2017. However having something written in a plan and then trying to achieve it are two different matters:

In March, 2013 the Department of Transport, Tourism & Sport (DTT&S) announced a National Cycle Network Seed Funding Scheme. The Scheme was devised with the aim of providing start-up support to local authorities for cycle projects considered to have merit from the perspective of generating recreational, tourism and economic activity and for which the authority did not have the resources for initial planning and design work. Local authorities were invited to submit expressions of interest and were advised that priority would be given to high quality, off-road greenway routes that have the potential to be world class trip attracters in their own right.
    The Sligo County Development plan 2011 – 2017 has a specific clause in it about the proposed Sligo Mayo Greenway, namely to 'support the development of a footway and cycleway (greenway)' -- 'from Claremorris to Collooney, subject to compliance with the requirements of the Habitats Directive '.
    Two serious questions arise from this. Firstly, why didn’t the council use the invitation from the DTT&S to apply for seed funding to meet a specific objective set out in the county plan? The county plan is an important policy document – the policies and objectives contained therein have been the subject to public scrutiny and approval by the council members. The fact that the county plan includes this greenway as an objective to achieve between 2011 and 2017 would have placed the application in a strong position to secure funding.
    The second (and more urgent) question is this -- what are Sligo County Council going to do to rectify this position to try and achieve an objective of the County Plan? Minister Alan Kelly told the Sligo Mayo Greenway campaign at a meeting on July 2nd he favoured the idea of a greenway on the Claremorris to Collooney route and he couldn’t understand why Sligo County Council had not applied for funding on the route , given that it ticked all the right boxes.
    A greenway would protect the route, bring badly needed jobs now in Sligo, and funding is available. Why on earth is the council ignoring this opportunity?

Its these kind of questions which the Sligo mayo greenway campaign is tabling with Sligo county council - Is it a county plan or not?

In the case of Sligo county council and their current stance on the Greenway versus Railway debate, there really should be no issue. Sligo county council has already voted and approved for the objective of a greenway on the route - it is part of the county plan 2011/2017. However having something written in a plan and then trying to achieve it are two different matters:

In March, 2013 the Department of Transport, Tourism & Sport (DTT&S) announced a National Cycle Network Seed Funding Scheme. The Scheme was devised with the aim of providing start-up support to local authorities for cycle projects considered to have merit from the perspective of generating recreational, tourism and economic activity and for which the authority did not have the resources for initial planning and design work. Local authorities were invited to submit expressions of interest and were advised that priority would be given to high quality, off-road greenway routes that have the potential to be world class trip attracters in their own right.
    The Sligo County Development plan 2011 – 2017 has a specific clause in it about the proposed Sligo Mayo Greenway, namely to 'support the development of a footway and cycleway (greenway)' -- 'from Claremorris to Collooney, subject to compliance with the requirements of the Habitats Directive '.
    Two serious questions arise from this. Firstly, why didn’t the council use the invitation from the DTT&S to apply for seed funding to meet a specific objective set out in the county plan? The county plan is an important policy document – the policies and objectives contained therein have been the subject to public scrutiny and approval by the council members. The fact that the county plan includes this greenway as an objective to achieve between 2011 and 2017 would have placed the application in a strong position to secure funding.
    The second (and more urgent) question is this -- what are Sligo County Council going to do to rectify this position to try and achieve an objective of the County Plan? Minister Alan Kelly told the Sligo Mayo Greenway campaign at a meeting on July 2nd he favoured the idea of a greenway on the Claremorris to Collooney route and he couldn’t understand why Sligo County Council had not applied for funding on the route , given that it ticked all the right boxes.
    A greenway would protect the route, bring badly needed jobs now in Sligo, and funding is available. Why on earth is the council ignoring this opportunity?

Its these kind of questions which the Sligo mayo greenway campaign is tabling with Sligo county council - Is it a county plan or not?

And the questions the councillors are asking themselves are 'how can I continue to keep jollying everybody along while avoiding making decisions?' and 'how can I maximise my vote in the next election without actually doing anything?'

Some of you may have seen the editorial of the Western People this week - a photoshot of the editorial is attached. A dedicated tirade against the Greenway campaign on the Western Rail Corridor - as an opinion piece it leaves nothing to the imagination. The Western it appears has nailed its flag to a project doomed to never happen, as east-west has said so often - this is the choice of many of our politicians - just keep promising but never deliver. The Sligo-Mayo greenway campaign however has welcomed this intervention from the Western - because it means the whole greenway/railway issue is engaged in public debate. West on Track afterall have said virtually nothing in the past few weeks as they get hit with bad news after bad news. It will be interesting to see if there is any reaction to the editorial.........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Hehe, someone's hackles have been raised by recent stirrings of interest in building greenways in the West.

I particularly liked this comment:
    The 43-mile route from Claremorris to Collooney - with it's multitude of road crossings - is ill-suited for biking.
    I would think that same route with it's multitude of road crossings is even less suitable for 'train-ing' :P. Cyclists and walkers are aware of the Safe Cross Code as far as I know - it doesn't work so well for your average locomotive.

Knock Airport has been a relative success as it serves a useful need for people in the area who avail of the decent air routes from the airport to various destinations (for tourists and commuting emigrants). A fixed rail line between small population centres would not.

The author of the piece also seems to think that a greenway on the old Collooney-Claremorris would pale in comparison with the Westport-Mulranny route from a tourist attraction point of view. I am more familiar with the southern section from Claremorris to Tuam and I have on occasion gone for walks and strolls along the old line in different places (struggling through plenty of briars and scrub in places unfortunately). Believe you me, there is plenty of very nice countryside and scenery to be enjoyed along the old route, the Great Western Greenway does not have a monopoly on that.

Also no mention of how the locals might enjoy and utilise a greenway through Sligo, Mayo and Galway - the silent majority as always?

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Hehe, someone's hackles have been raised by recent stirrings of interest in building greenways in the West.

I particularly liked this comment:

I would think that same route with it's multitude of road crossings is even less suitable for 'train-ing' :P. Cyclists and walkers are aware of the Safe Cross Code as far as I know - it doesn't work so well for your average locomotive.

Also no mention of how the locals might enjoy and utilise a greenway through Sligo, Mayo and Galway - the silent majority as always?

Two very good points the editor of the Western fails to recognize. It was a rant rather than the reasoned argument of an editor. I think he had just come back from his holidays - he may have been jet lagged when he wrote it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Two very good points the editor of the Western fails to recognize. It was a rant rather than the reasoned argument of an editor. I think he had just come back from his holidays - he may have been jet lagged when he wrote it.
    That article is absolutely hilarious it's so bad.
    If we are not ambitious for ourselves, if we do not demand the very best
    Yeah. I demand a TGV between Galway and Sligo run along a 19th century alignment :rolleyes:
    a playground for those who believe the West Of Ireland should return to its pre-rail 19th century incarnation
    More "ye're all agin' the Wesht" nonsense. You see, Mr. Editor, we have these things now called "cars". And we even have "buses". And we prefer them (as numbers on Ennis-Athenry are showing) to a "slow, infrequent and costly" (NTA survey) rail service.

And the eulogising of Mgr. Horan is also quite humourous. The airport exists because of him, fine. But its success came in spite of him. His goal was to use it to bring pilgrims in (including from America). It's actually being used to bring emigrants and holidaymakers out, and to facilitate the UK-based diaspora and their families returning to the ould sod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Some of you may have seen the editorial of the Western People this week - a photoshot of the editorial is attached. A dedicated tirade against the Greenway campaign on the Western Rail Corridor - as an opinion piece it leaves nothing to the imagination. The Western it appears has nailed its flag to a project doomed to never happen, as east-west has said so often - this is the choice of many of our politicians - just keep promising but never deliver. The Sligo-Mayo greenway campaign however has welcomed this intervention from the Western - because it means the whole greenway/railway issue is engaged in public debate. West on Track afterall have said virtually nothing in the past few weeks as they get hit with bad news after bad news. It will be interesting to see if there is any reaction to the editorial.........:D

Just after reading that article and it's annoyed me so much. Lacking in imagination.. let's get the rail link going, sure isn't there 1000 odd people wanting to get from Curry to Sligo everyday during peak hours. These lads better get in touch with (TFL) Transport for London to talk about potential congestion issues on route. Sorry the thought of a new train route in this unpopulated area just annoys the hell out of me. A greenway would benefit the area so much, anyway I won't moan anymore. I'll leave it for others to give more constructive criticism of the West on Track project.

Note to self don't buy the Western anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I am not in favour of re-opening the Western Rail Corridor.

However, that editor makes a valid point in saying that it is something of a lazy option just to turn the railway into a greenway because it happens to be there. I am not familiar with the line at all north of Claremorris so I dont know if a greenway would actually be worth doing there. Would it?

However, that editor makes a valid point in saying that it is something of a lazy option just to turn the railway into a greenway because it happens to be there. I am not familiar with the line at all north of Claremorris so I dont know if a greenway would actually be worth doing there. Would it?

In one word Yes. It would become part of the national cycle network - it would be an easy solution to connect the proposed sligo north leitrim greenway connecting Sligo with Enniskillen - with the claremorris collooney route to connect with the Great Western greenway this would provide a continuous cycle path from Enniskillen to Achill on uninterrupted vehicle free route - this would be a big tourist attraction. The route is never likely to be opened again as a railway, we all know that - the cost of the 42 mile greenway could come in at less than 3 million. Worth doing? Most definitely. What the editor didn't do is explain why a one billion euro investment in a railway in this part of the west of ireland could be justified.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

The reason WoT want it opened as a railway is exactly that anyway!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement