Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islamic school to be founded in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Then please tell me what the difference is between "you can't prove god doesn't exist" and "you can't prove the flying spaghetti monster doesn't exist".

you saying you've lost respect for me doesn't make the argument invalid. It's just an ad hominem attack

I am not referring to your argument, I am referring to the reference you use.

In any case what is the point of this? I can't prove God exists, you can't prove he doesn't. Hasn't this debate been done a million times?

This post has been deleted.
    Try reading what I actually wrote. I said using the flying spagetti monster is an attempt to be insulting to believers.
    You also can't offer any evidence God does not exist.
    Where is your proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

In any case what is the point of this? I can't prove God exists, you can't prove he doesn't. Hasn't this debate been done a million times?

Yes it has and it will continue to be had as long as believers keep pointing out that you can't prove god's non-existence as if that's a reason to believe in him. We will keep pointing out that you can't prove the non-existence of anything but that is not a reason to pick one of the infinite number of things that cannot be disproved and decide to believe in it. You should believe in something if there is at least a reasonable chance that it exists; the fact that your god is on the infinitely long list of things that can't be disproved is irrelevant

The flying spaghetti monster shows the ludicrousness of that position

Where is your proof?

Prove I can't fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I think debates are good in that it gives onlookers an insite into both sides of the argument and can help convince someone to go one way or the other. However I did not come on here to try to convert people to Islam, or to defend my beliefs. That's why I consider this debate pointless as I am not going to suddenly going to say "hey this Islam stuff is all rubbish, think I'll become an athiest". I dont' expect you, Mr P or any other athiests to have a sudden change of view either. So why waste our times build and knocking egos?

Because you will never know if you wont suddenly change your beliefs unless you challenge them by having debates such as this. It comes across as fearful that you think this debate should stop, fearful that we may actually make you question your beliefs.
    What harm is my belief causing you?

Your beliefs inform your actions and opinions. Your beliefs lead you to vote the way you do, shop in the places you do, talk to the people you do. These beliefs, as they are contrary to mine, will lead you to vote, shop, interact in ways (mostly indirectly) contrary to me and hurt me and my interests.
    Also your (plural, muslim in general) beliefs prevent me from being able to marry my girlfriend, as a muslim woman cannot marry a non-muslim man.
    Do do you want to live in a world where everyone shares the same beliefs, no variety or variation?

If that belief is true, then sure why not? Better than believing in a load of lies, surely. Besides whats so good about variation, thats what leads to one country punishing adultery by lashes and another by death.
    Wouldnt you want to live in a world where everyone was muslim?
    I don't accept your points, I lose respect for you when you can't put an intelligent argument forward and resort to "flying spagetti monster".

If the flying spagetti monster is not an intelligent argument then you should be able to counter it easily. The problem here, is not that you have lost respect because of this argument, the problem is you didn't have any respect in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

So do you then support the notion that Shia law has no place in actual law as the source is entirely undefinable, existence unprovable and interpration massively varying?
    So do you then support the notion that teaching of the qur'an in schools should be stopped as the source is entirely undefinable, existence unprovable and interpration massively varying?

Tell me, I cant prove god doesn't exist, you cant priove he does, so why do you believe in god?

I said using the flying spagetti monster is an attempt to be insulting to believers.

No, believers choose to get insulted when they are shown the ludricousness of the position that "you cant prove god doesnt exist, egro god exists". They do this because the dont like the implications of the point and are trying to deflect the issue.
    You also can't offer any evidence God does not exist.

You cannot offer any evidence that I am not god.
    Where is your proof?

We dont need any proof, you are the one making the claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

The FSM analogy is not used to insult you. It's used to show how ludricious your beliefs actually are, and it serves that purpose very well.

liamw wrote: »
    The FSM analogy is not used to insult you. It's used to show how ludricious your beliefs actually are, and it serves that purpose very well.

But of course when someone believes something for emotional reasons, any insult to the belief is taken to be an insult to the person. As I often say: those who can argue their case do so and those who can't get offended as if taking offence is a good substitute for good argumentation

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

To be honest I find some of the athiests on this forum are quite disrespectful as they attempt to make religious people feel stupid by using references to flying spagetti monsters and the link instead of trying to make an intelligent argument.
    The Flying Spaghetti Monster is an intelligent argument. I think the problem is that you don't understand why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

I believe in "Flying Spaghetti Monsters". Please don't burst my bubble!

irishconvert, I sincerely hope that you will now surprise us all and unlike other believers, not blame us because you feel stupid and instead ask yourself why you feel stupid and realise that it's because the "you can't prove god doesn't exist" argument is stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Really I wasn't an atheist when I first came in here (well I kind of was except I didn't know it) and the fine arguments posed here brought me to it.
    Similarly, I once started reading a massively long debate about abortion on the snopes.com message board. I was pro-life going in. I was pro-choice by the time I was done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There are two muslim primary schools in the country, funded in the same way as all the rest of them, it's not news.

Your beliefs inform your actions and opinions. Your beliefs lead you to vote the way you do, shop in the places you do, talk to the people you do. These beliefs, as they are contrary to mine, will lead you to vote, shop, interact in ways (mostly indirectly) contrary to me and hurt me and my interests.
    Also your (plural, muslim in general) beliefs prevent me from being able to marry my girlfriend, as a muslim woman cannot marry a non-muslim man.
    Do you support the concept of democracy? You sound like a dictator who would feel more at home in a state run on the same model as the Saudi dictatorship except with your rules.

If that belief is true, then sure why not? Better than believing in a load of lies, surely. Besides whats so good about variation, thats what leads to one country punishing adultery by lashes and another by death.
    People have the right to believe in whatever they want even if you think it is all lies.

If the flying spagetti monster is not an intelligent argument then you should be able to counter it easily. The problem here, is not that you have lost respect because of this argument, the problem is you didn't have any respect in the first place.
    I don't know how you come to this conclusion but it is not true. I respect people's right to have their own beliefs. I accept and recpect your decision to be an athiest, I don't attack you or your beliefs as they are not doing me any harm.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    irishconvert, I sincerely hope that you will now surprise us all and unlike other believers, not blame us because you feel stupid and instead ask yourself why you feel stupid and realise that it's because the "you can't prove god doesn't exist" argument is stupid

The only think I fel stupid about is that for a long time I didn't believe in God. But now my eyes are open I can see the evidence all around me. Look at how perfectly this world has been designed. Look at all the perfect creations in it. I find it impossible to believe this all just happened :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

The only think I fel stupid about is that for a long time I didn't believe in God. But now my eyes are open I can see the evidence all around me. Look at how perfectly this world has been designed. Look at all the perfect creations in it. I find it impossible to believe this all just happened :-)

By 'this world', do you mean Earth? What's perfect about it?

By 'this world', do you mean Earth? What's perfect about it?
    Watch any episode of a David Attenborough documentary.

Look at how perfectly this world has been designed.
    The victims of the Tsunami might not agree with that.
    I don't attack you or your beliefs as they are not doing me any harm.
    This is not the issue.

The issue up for debate in this thread is whether or not it's a good idea to have a school in this country which is effectively controlled by the religious authorities of another, when we know that the country concerned has a lousy reputation for supporting free and open enquiry, unbiased education and actively rejects the central notion in this country, namely that all human beings have equal rights.

• Advertisement

Bad choice! Have a read of this:
    Sir David Attenborough has revealed that he receives hate mail from viewers for failing to credit God in his documentaries. In an interview with this week's Radio Times about his latest documentary, on Charles Darwin and natural selection, the broadcaster said: "They tell me to burn in hell and good riddance."

Telling the magazine that he was asked why he did not give "credit" to God, Attenborough added: "They always mean beautiful things like hummingbirds. I always reply by saying that I think of a little child in east Africa with a worm burrowing through his eyeball. The worm cannot live in any other way, except by burrowing through eyeballs. I find that hard to reconcile with the notion of a divine and benevolent creator."

Attenborough went further in his opposition to creationism, saying it was "terrible" when it was taught alongside evolution as an alternative perspective. "It's like saying that two and two equals four, but if you wish to believe it, it could also be five ... Evolution is not a theory; it is a fact, every bit as much as the historical fact that William the Conqueror landed in 1066."

Attenborough, who attended the Wyggeston Grammar School for Boys in Leicester in the 1930s, said he was astonished at manifestations of Christian faith.

"It never really occurred to me to believe in God - and I had nothing to rebel against, my parents told me nothing whatsoever. But I do remember looking at my headmaster delivering a sermon, a classicist, extremely clever ... and thinking, he can't really believe all that, can he? How incredible!"

In 2002, Attenborough joined an effort by clerics and scientists to oppose the inclusion of creationism in the curriculum of state-funded independent schools receiving private sponsorship, such as the Emmanuel Schools Foundation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Robindch made the point about Earth very well, so I don't think I need to say anything more about that.

But what about the other planets in our solar system? What about Mars? Hottest day is no more than 20 degrees, atmospheric pressure is next to nothing. Most likely nothing lives there. Why would God create this place? To look at through our telescopes?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Ironically, David Attenborough doesn't believe in a benevolent God because he has seen firsthand over decades how imperfect the world is.

EDIT: Snap Robin!

robindch wrote: »
    Bad choice! Have a read of this:

I know all about his disbelief in a creator. I just used his name as he is on of the best know natre documentary makers.

I know all about his disbelief in a creator. I just used his name as he is on of the best know natre documentary makers.
    Er, creator?

The piece I quoted has him disproving the "beautiful world" point you were trying to make. Read the text I put in bold up above.

He's also no fan of religious schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I find it impossible to believe this all just happened :-)
    You aren't alone. In fact, so many people make this mistake it even has a name:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Obviously they exist to remove sinners. See? Perfect.

MrP

Do you support the concept of democracy? You sound like a dictator who would feel more at home in a state run on the same model as the Saudi dictatorship except with your rules.

Why dont you try responding to my points instead of strawmanning? Is aid that all contrary beliefs uultimately lead to some kind of harm, ergo we need to do something about it. You said debate is useless, so I asked what are the alternatives. You asked how you beliefs hurt me, I explained and now you are comparing me to the Saudi dictatorship. Try to keep on track.
    People have the right to believe in whatever they want even if you think it is all lies.

Sure they do, but whats that got to do with what we were talking about? You said:
    Do do you want to live in a world where everyone shares the same beliefs, no variety or variation?
    Then I said:
    So, you going to answer my question or just strawman again?
    I don't know how you come to this conclusion but it is not true. I respect people's right to have their own beliefs. I accept and recpect your decision to be an athiest, I don't attack you or your beliefs as they are not doing me any harm.

You have already attacked our arguments, claiming our purpose is to insult and make theist feel stupid. Now there is nothing wrong with this, a good debate involves the attacking of the opposition arguments (their beliefs), but you dont respect us to allow us the curtesy of doing to your beliefs (your arguments) what you do to ours, and instead of countering our arguments you do the typical theist act and claim disrepect. frankly, at this stage, its getting to be a cliche.

• Advertisement

Look at how perfectly this world has been designed. Look at all the perfect creations in it. I find it impossible to believe this all just happened :-)

Then why are there non-muslims in it? And homosexuals and other things god apparently hates enough to send to hell? Why would a perfect god create a perfect world with imperfections he feels the need to punish?

Advertisement