Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islamic school to be founded in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

If we even had elements of Islamic law here we would not have half the problems with the economy that we do now.
    Er, you mean like Dubai's implementation of Islamic law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 DaniAlKhal

I thought that Ireland was supposed to be a welcoming country? Perhaps people need to chill out about the whole thing. People should open their minds to other cultures, try to understand them and accept them. I mean most of the schools in Ireland disregard other cultures and religions. Maybe it would be a good thing to expose people to this culture. It might stop certain people being anti-islam...you can't stereotype every muslim and call them a terrorist...plus Islam is a branch off of Christianity...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

DaniAlKhal wrote: »
    I mean most of the schools in Ireland disregard other cultures and religions.
    Yeah. And we don't like that either.

MrP

I'm sure the Saudi Goverment are going to integrate the Saudi ethos into the school at a degree that will be acceptable to Irish authorities. The school will be financed by the Saudi government...so I have no idea why people have a problem with it?? :rolleyes:

He gives us a book which tells us how to live our lives, leaves us to our own devices and judges us by how we follow these rules, and rewards or punishes us accordingly.
    Eh...he didn't give a book...he inspired a book...and it's not the letter of the law...it's not to be followed word for word...? And God doesn't punish..!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Eh...he didn't give a book...he inspired a book...and it's not the letter of the law...it's not to be followed word for word...? And God doesn't punish..!:eek:

How can you possibly know that a god inspired the book?
    Once again, it sounds to me like you can dismiss certain bits as a misinterpretation of god's word, and accept certain bits which just happen to fit in with current social ethics.

You couldn't possibly know...that's the mystery of it. God Is unknowable. and yes you're right the bible shouldn't be read in isolation..it should be read in light of the societal circumstances and changes in society as time progresses. It shouldn't remain frozen in time....I don't think it was meant to be. :)

Really? So who sends people to hell again?

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Alex-Face

fitz0 wrote: »

I'm not sure about the rest of you but I don't particularly like the fact that a foreign government has plans (that will probably be allowed) to establish a school in our country. Especially a country so heavily influenced by a religion that is so hostile to our way of life. It seems to me to be a sly way of introducing the Islamic agenda into second and third generation immigrants who might be freeing themselves from the oppressive religion of their parents.

What do you all think of this?

Dude you are a total idiot. Most likley racist too. Anyway - thats just my view on you. See doesn't it irritate when someone makes a judgement on someone else based on speculation without any real knowledge of what there talking about?

Well in this case I'm right.

This is the least of Ireland's problems (if at all even a problem!).

I think considering the population of Muslims in Ireland - that its only fair that they are allowed a school and facilities that operate under their own cultural's specifics for education. I mean - they Muslims who live here pay taxes, they contribute to the counties well being, provide goods and services etc - so is it not fair that they see some returns in their interests from the Government?

Ah dude(OP) you make me so irritated. You intolerant f**king moron.

BTW this conversation seems to have derailed several pages ago :o
    Really? So who sends people to hell again?

Nobody...Hell exists if you believe it does. So in that line of logic - whoever you believe 'sends people to hell' then that is what happens....

Personally - since you asked - I believe when I die - if there is any alternative to just ceasing to exist - its something good. Why because its purely logical that our brains would 'send us' somewhere pleasant. After all we are all self serving eating/repoduction machines. Everything else is just a by product of the process of the former statement.

XD

Anways yeah - OP is a total ass

You couldn't possibly know...that's the mystery of it. God Is unknowable.

But you know? You believe right. Are you admitting that you could be wrong?

If so, how did you come to the conclusion that it is more probable that your god exists than not?
    and yes you're right the bible shouldn't be read in isolation..it should be read in light of the societal circumstances and changes in society as time progresses. It shouldn't remain frozen in time....I don't think it was meant to be. :)

So there's no point to the bible at all then in terms of defining morals? Is it just a general guide for you? If so, what exactly does the bible guide you with?

• Advertisement

The bible is a piece of literature...And as for heaven and hell...they are not physical places. God doesn't send anyone to hell. The hell you read about in the bible doesn't actually exist. It's perhaps a literary tool to describe a dimension that might be experienced by someone. :rolleyes:

Knowing and believing are two completely different things. you can have faith in something you do not necessarily know. My faith is a personal decision and I don't think I should have to justify it to anyone. (But I will if I'm pushed) And in relation to the bible and morals: Yes the bible acts as a moral guide but as society changes so do some morals and so does the interpretation of the bible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Alex-Face wrote: »
    Ah dude(OP) you make me so irritated. You intolerant f**king moron.
    Ah, who said irony was dead?

Must be a new forum record -- from first post to a ban in eleven minutes.

The bible is a piece of literature...And as for heaven and hell...they are not physical places. God doesn't send anyone to hell. The hell you read about in the bible doesn't actually exist. It's perhaps a literary tool to describe a dimension that might be experienced by someone. :rolleyes:
    This is obviously your interpretation of this amazing book. Other people believe it is a real place, other people believe it is simply an absence of god. The question still stands, who decided who goes to, or who experiences, this thing called hell? And why?

MrP

I think we just have to accept the fact that we willl never know. That's why God is God. Because he is unknowable. He is the only one who can reveal himself to us...we can's know anything about him that he has not revealed to us. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I think we just have to accept the fact that we willl never know. That's why God is God. Because he is unknowable. He is the only one who can reveal himself to us...we can's know anything about him that he has not revealed to us. :)

So how do we tell the difference between god revealing himself to someone and them making stuff up and claiming god revealed it to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Don't you think it's funny though that God always seems to reveal Himself to people the way they actually had imagined him before revelation? He always seems to reaffirm their preconceived notions, never contradicting them.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    So how do we tell the difference between god revealing himself to someone and them making stuff up and claiming god revealed it to them?
    That is the problem isn't it ! :)

Malty_T wrote: »
    Don't you think it's funny though that God always seems to reveal Himself to people the way they actually had imagined him before revelation? He always seems to reaffirm their preconceived notions, never contradicting them.
    When I say reveal I mean divine revalation...I hope I didn't confuse you :) The bible is pretty much accounts of this revalation. Like God doesn't have a face...I don't really understand what you mean by "they way they had imagined him before" sorry! :)

Knowing and believing are two completely different things. you can have faith in something you do not necessarily know. My faith is a personal decision and I don't think I should have to justify it to anyone. (But I will if I'm pushed) And in relation to the bible and morals: Yes the bible acts as a moral guide but as society changes so do some morals and so does the interpretation of the bible.

As long as you accept that your 'faith' is personal and subjective, it is not a universal truth, it should have absolutely no bearing on state decisions, and you can understand why I have zero respect for your unfounded belief, then that's fine I guess

• Advertisement

liamw wrote: »
    As long as you accept that your 'faith' is personal and subjective, it is not a universal truth, it should have absolutely no bearing on state decisions, and you can understand why I have zero respect for your unfounded belief, then that's fine I guess
    Excuse you! That was a very unfair comment to make! People should have respect for other people's beliefs...I don't know what you mean by it having bearing on state decisions??

Excuse you! That was a very unfair comment to make! People should have respect for other people's beliefs

If I told you that I believed Angelina Jolie was in love with me and that she's going to leave Brad any day to be with me would you respect that?

If I told you that I believed Angelina Jolie was in love with me and that she's going to leave Brad any day to be with me would you respect that?
    Having a faith in God and a religious belief cannot on any level be compared to Angelina Jolie being in love with you. So refrain from using such sophomoric analogies please. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Excuse you! That was a very unfair comment to make! People should have respect for other people's beliefs...I don't know what you mean by it having bearing on state decisions??

Why should religious belief be elevated above other beliefs (political ideologies, music taste etc), and demand respect and shielding from ridicule/criticism?

Having a faith in God and a religious belief cannot on any level be compared to Angelina Jolie being in love with you. So refrain from using such sophomoric analogies please. :)

Actually, as far as I'm concerned it can because each one has just as much basis in reality. But you said beliefs should be respected. Is it all beliefs or just beliefs that you personally think have merit and the rest don't have to be respected?

pts wrote: »
    Why should religious belief be elevated above other beliefs (political ideologies, music taste etc), and demand respect and shielding from ridicule/criticism?
    All beliefs should be respected equally...?

All beliefs should be respected equally...?

Except my belief that Angelina Jolie loves me?

Excuse you! That was a very unfair comment to make! People should have respect for other people's beliefs

No they should not. If you want to believe in an imaginary sky wizard that is absolutely fine by me. Whatever floats your boat. No one, however, is under any obligation whatsoever to respect your belief. And that is how it should be.

MrP

Except my belief that Angelina Jolie loves me?
    Well if that's what you believe then that's what you believe :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

People should have respect for other people ...
    Fixed

I respect you too much to respect your ridiculous beliefs.:)

Advertisement