Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

''Next'' friday - when is it?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    It's not incorrect,

Tis .. :)
    using "next Friday" to mean the same thing as "this Friday" or just "Friday" is pointless and confusing.

It's not pointless, as if said to you on Sunday .. "I'm going to see Lily Allen 'This Tueday' you would know what I meant, without doubt.

If I just said 'Tuesday' .. you would say "This Tuesday?".

So I essentially saved us both 10 precious seconds of our lives :)

Either you should use it to mean the Friday of next week or you shouldn't use it at all and should use one of the many other ways to indicate the coming Friday.

It's good to see that you already do that :)[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

The friday after the coming. Always.

The friday after the coming. Always.

That's Good Friday :)

Beasty wrote: »
    For my 2c, I would say Friday the 11th is this Friday, Friday the 18th is next Friday. I would also say Sunday the 13th is this Sunday, but Monday the 14th is next Monday!!

So my conclusion is there is no conclusive answer.

Yup ..

Only solution, bin using the word 'next' unless refering to Weeks, Months or Years.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Tis .. :)

It's not pointless, as if said to you on Sunday .. "I'm going to see Lily Allen 'This Tueday' you would know what I meant, without doubt.

If I just said 'Tuesday' .. you would say "This Tuesday?".

So I essentially saved us both 10 precious seconds of our lives :)
    I wouldn't say that :confused:

If someone said to me "I'm going to see Lilly Allen Tuesday" I would instantly know that they were referring to the coming Tuesday because if it was any other Tuesday they would have added a qualifier, such as they might say "I'm going to see Lilly Allen next Tuesday" ;)

You could technically say that next Tuesday refers to the coming Tuesday but then the person could just say "Tuesday" and that makes the addition of the word next pointless. As far as I'm concerned if someone says next Tuesday it's to differentiate it from this Tuesday

/thread :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

Zulu wrote: »
    Next Friday isn't this one, is it!?!
    This Friday.
    Next Friday.
    Simples.

Well said.

I wouldn't say that :confused:

If someone said to me "I'm going to see Lilly Allen Tuesday" I would instantly know that they were referring to the coming Tuesday because if it was any other Tuesday they would have added a qualifier, such as they might say "I'm going to see Lilly Allen next Tuesday" ;)

You could technically say that next Tuesday refers to the coming Tuesday but then the person could just say "Tuesday" and that makes the addition of the word next pointless. As far as I'm concerned if someone says next Tuesday it's to differentiate it from the coming Tuesday

But to make it even more confusing :D

If that conversation takes place on a Wednesday then the Tuesday of next week is both the coming Tuesday AND next Tuesday because it is both the nearest Tuesday and the Tuesday of next week. The phrase "this Tuesday" is meaningless on Wednesday because it's in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

huh

mink_man wrote: »
    huh

Exactly :pac:

/drags Sam back

Hang on there a minute.
    I might say "I'm going to see Lilly Allen next Tuesday"

If you said that to someone last Sunday (the one just gone ;)) then they would say "Next Tuesday? Do you mean 'this Tuesday' or 'Tuesday week'??

Cause it means differemt things to different people despite it being grammatically incorrect :)
    As far as I'm concerned if someone says next Tuesday it's to differentiate it from the coming Tuesday

As far as YOUR concerned but not everyone thinks that. It's 50/50 I would say.

Much better not to use the word 'Next' refering to 'Days' as it has an ambiguous meaning.

/thread end

Now, which comes first - the Chicken or the Egg?? :p

• Advertisement

/drags Sam back

Hang on there a minute.

If you said that to someone last Sunday (the one just gone ;)) then they would say "Next Tuesday? Do you mean 'this Tuesday' or 'Tuesday week'??

Cause it means differemt things to different people despite it being grammatically incorrect :)

As far as YOUR concerned but not everyone thinks that. It's 50/50 I would say.

Much better not to use the word 'Next' as it has an ambiguous meaning.

/thread end
    I agree. Best to avoid it altogether. I think we should lobby the mods to ban anyone who uses the term from now on :pac:

I don't know why this is considered a conundrum. Chickens evolved from other egg laying birds. The first chicken was conceived by two animals that were very similar to but not quite chickens and it was hatched from an egg. the egg came first.

See the following diagram:
    http://www.jonco48.com/blog/chicken_20or_20egg.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

/drags Sam back

The Egg - Eggs were around long before Chickens, or another way, something that wasn't a chicken, laid an egg from which hatched what we know today as a chicken.

Why do people have to over complicate simple things :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

What about "friday after next"?

God the confusion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

next friday is 11/12

BUT,,,,,, friday NEXT is 18/12

Dacelonid wrote: »
    The Egg - Eggs were around long before Chickens, or another way, something that wasn't a chicken, laid an egg from which hatched what we know today as a chicken.

Why do people have to over complicate simple things :rolleyes:

Well, whatever laid that Egg, that the first Chicken came from .. came from an Egg itself, right?

S, what laid that Egg?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,990 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well, whatever laid that Egg, that the first Chicken came from .. came from an Egg itself, right?

S, what laid that Egg?
    Eggsactly

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

Kiera wrote: »
    Next Friday is the Friday coming.

Friday week is the following Friday. Its pretty simple really.

Simple enough that countless people get it wrong!

S, what laid that Egg?

An animal that was very very similar to a chicken but slightly less similar to a chicken than the animal that laid the egg that produced the first chicken :)

leddpipe wrote: »
    Simple enough that countless people get it wrong!

Right.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,990 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

An animal that was very very similar to a chicken but slightly less similar to a chicken than the animal that laid the egg that produced the first chicken :)
    So where did that animal come from?

Beasty wrote: »
    So where did that animal come from?

An animal that was very very similar to a chicken but slightly less similar to a chicken than the animal that laid the egg that produced the animal that laid the egg that produced the first chicken :pac:

An animal that was very very similar to a chicken but slightly less similar to a chicken than the animal that laid the egg that produced the animal that laid the egg that produced the first chicken :pac:

Now I really am off to see Lily, fast! :)

/double JD with ice is needed after this thread
    :p

Advertisement