Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

''Next'' friday - when is it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

So when is the next friday??

Not when is next friday, when is the next friday??

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

OutlawPete wrote: »
    The reason it confuses you is because a lot of people say 'Next Friday' .. when what they really mean is 'Friday Week'.

If everyone stuck to the 'Next Friday' is THE 'next friday' to actually happen ... then there would be no problems, but they don't :mad:

Why would they? It's wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

DOC09UNAM wrote: »

The NEXT friday .. is the one that comes 'next' :D

DOC09UNAM wrote: »

Friday

Elba101 wrote: »
    Why would they? It's wrong...

How is it wrong?

The 'Next' friday is the one that comes NEXT .. surely.

I'm not saying people don't say 'next friday' and mean 'friday week' .. I mean, they say it .. but they are wrong and so fcuk the rest of us clear thinking folk up ;)

• Advertisement

Elba101 wrote: »
    Friday

That was aimed more to the dudes and dudettes that think the next friday is the friday after this friday :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

How is it wrong?

Yes. It comes next. After this Friday.

Here's a queue:

Friday 11th
    Friday 18th
    Firday 25th

Which comes first? Which comes second? What's another word for second?

How is it wrong?

THE next Friday is. But next Friday is not. I don't know why, it's a general consesus...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

lol, wow, this is generating more anger than the PS v PS threads, even for AH:eek: Just for the record I think that...ah, screw it, i'm staying out of this one:D

something tells me we could argue this to the page 200+ and neither of us would have changed our opinion, just people that didn't care about it, got drawn into it :(

• Advertisement

Some people just can't admit when their wrong eh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

It depends on the proximity to the coming Friday.

Next Friday:
    when said on a Saturday, means the coming Friday
    when said on Thursday, means the following week

Don't ask when the cut off is, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Smart Bug wrote: »
    Exactly. Next means the one coming after this.

Next customer, after the one dealt with.
    Next left, after this one (you take the next left, not this one etc).
    Next time this happens - the next time after this one, duh.
    The next song is (the one after this one).

/rant

But there mightn't already be a left turn. You could be giving directions to a person who has travelled up a completely straight road and by saying "next left", you're advising them to take the first left on the whole road!!!
    The rest of your theory holds up pretty good though. I'm inclined to think next Friday is the 18th. Just 'cause I wanna!!

Next Friday week!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

z_topaz wrote: »
    But there mightn't already be a left turn. You could be giving directions to a person who has travelled up a completely straight road and by saying "next left", you're advising them to take the first left on the whole road!!!
    The rest of your theory holds up pretty good though. I'm inclined to think next Friday is the 18th. Just 'cause I wanna!!

Oddly, the direction thing'd convince me the most. Imagine you're stopped on a road asking directions. There's a let turn right in front of you, and a second one up the road. The second one is the way you should be going. Now, there are several (correct) ways to say that:

Take the:
    - second left
    - next left turn

Thinking about it, I guess it depends on the context and which point of reference you use. If you take your position, then the next left (to you) would be the first one. If you're talking about all left turns on the road, then the next one is the one after this one (the one immediately in front of you). I'm confused now, therefore I stick to my original point.

Next Friday is the 18th !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

just to add to the mayhem.

Yes. It comes next. After this Friday.

The fact that you have to use the word 'After' .. means it isn't 'Next'.

just to add to the mayhem.

Well, that did for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

People who are saying that next Friday is in three days, what purpose does the word "next" serve? Can you not just say "Friday", "this Friday" or "on Friday"? I use the word next to differentiate between the Friday this week and the Friday next week but the only purpose of the word next the way you use seems to be to confuse matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

For me next Friday is Friday week and this Friday is Friday coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,693 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've just read this whole thread and the word 'Friday' has been used so many times it has now lost all meaning in my head. I hate when that happens :mad:

This week - this Friday
    Last week - last Friday
    Next week - next Friday

You count the week as a whole week. 'Next' is what comes after 'this'. So all the days in 'next' week are 'next' days. All the days in 'this' week are 'this' days.

That's how the days of the week work.

It might not make sense gramatically but it's how it works god damn it!

By the other reasoning, tomorrow is next Wednesday. :confused: No, it's THIS wednesday. As it is the Wednesday of THIS week. Not next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Me: "when are you going to ride yore ma?"
    Other guy: "Friday"

Everyone knows what he means, everyone will be there ready to film it

Compared to:

Me: "when are you going to ride yore ma?"
    Other guy: "Next Friday"

Half the people ignore the word next and show up on Friday and the other half mistakenly think there was a reason he used the word next when in reality it was an unnecessary and superfluous word meant to confuse and they end up with no home video :(

Don't let this happen! When you're talking about the coming Friday just say "Friday"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I would say its relative to the week you are in. Thats how I do it anyway.

'This' Friday, is the Friday of 'This' week.

'Next' Friday means Friday of 'Next' week.

*EDIT

o1s1n - thats hilarious! We posted pretty much the same reasoning at the same time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

The fact that you have to use the word 'After' .. means it isn't 'Next'.

Actually, if its 'next' it cannot be 'now' or 'current' so therefore is the Friday AFTER the coming one.

How can something be 'next' if there is nothing before it?

It could also get REALLY confusing if the 2 people trying to arrange a 'date' for something use differing days as the start of the week, one uses Monday, the other Sunday.

On a Sunday, in Monday persons mind, 'next' Friday should be the coming Friday, as its still the week before, but in Sunday persons mind, 'next' Friday is the one after that, as he's currently in the week of the coming Friday.

How on Earth have we gotten this into such a blooming mess of a debate??!!! lol

Oddly, the direction thing'd convince me the most. Imagine you're stopped on a road asking directions. There's a let turn right in front of you, and a second one up the road. The second one is the way you should be going. Now, there are several (correct) ways to say that:

Take the:
    - second left
    - next left turn

Thinking about it, I guess it depends on the context and which point of reference you use. If you take your position, then the next left (to you) would be the first one. If you're talking about all left turns on the road, then the next one is the one after this one (the one immediately in front of you). I'm confused now, therefore I stick to my original point.

Next Friday is the 18th !!!!!

I'm getting very confused now myself. I would have assumed that next Friday was Friday week, but if I asked for directions and somebody told me to take the next left and expected me to take the second left (the left after the next left to my mind), well, I sure wouldn't be making it back to Kansas any time soon.

z_topaz wrote: »
    I'm getting very confused now myself. I would have assumed that next Friday was Friday week, but if I asked for directions and somebody told me to take the next left and expected me to take the second left (the left after the next left to my mind), well, I sure wouldn't be making it back to Kansas any time soon.

Maybe if you tried tapping your right shoe off the one next to it 3 times...

:D

Actually, I reckon it's all a matter of context.
    If I want next Friday to be the 11th, then when I say "next Friday", I mean the next Friday after today.
    If I want it to be the 18th, then when I say "next Friday", I mean the next Friday after this coming Friday.
    It's all semantics - and a little bit of time travel!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I would say its relative to the week you are in. Thats how I do it anyway.

'This' Friday, is the Friday of 'This' week.

'Next' Friday means Friday of 'Next' week.

*EDIT

o1s1n - thats hilarious! We posted pretty much the same reasoning at the same time! :D

And I said it on page 2 but I get no credit! I guess I wasn't appreciated for my time way back 4 pages ago, but now my philosophy is widely accepted. Just like Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NedTermo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Ha! The poll says coming!

Advertisement