Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

''Next'' friday - when is it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭jacool

The Friday that will be occurring THIS week, is THIS Friday
    The Friday that will be occurring NEXT week, is NEXT Friday
    end of !

I hope ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

To me, "this Friday" and "next Friday" are one and the same. Any other definition doesn't make sense.

How can "next" mean "the one after the one that's coming now"?

If you were at the top of a queue, and the person serving said "Next!", wouldn't you be a little p*ssed off if the person behind you went to them to be served. Chaos would abound: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Friday week = the Friday after next.

If today were, say, Wednesday or Thursday, there would be no need to actually say the word "next", as to my mind it would be implied, but you cannot extrapolate this by saying if you actually said "next Friday" to mean the Friday from next week.

At least that's my take on it, I have a fairly logical, literal mind, (left-brained), but I know other folks are wired differently. I know it pisses off my wife when talking about plans for tomorrow, once it goes 12:00 midnight I change to using "today" while she still refers to it as "tomorrow" - to her, it's not "tomorrow" until she's gone to sleep and woken up (her subjective measure), whereas I'll change my frame of reference by an objective measure (the clock). Who's correct? I am, of course :D /wink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

segaBOY wrote: »
    "Next Friday" is the 4th of December, "Friday week" is the Friday after.

I agree with this but ..

If someone said to you on Thursday .. 'See you next Friday Sega' and jumped in their car and tore off .. what would you think they meant??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yakuza wrote: »
    To me, "this Friday" and "next Friday" are one and the same. Any other definition doesn't make sense.

How can "next" mean "the one after the one that's coming now"?

The next is in reference to the week in which the day you are talking about is in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

'cause it's Friday; you ain't got no job... and you ain't got **** to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

banquo wrote: »
    It's not simple. You can't use the word next to mean one thing in every circumstance other than time.

Next customer.
    Take the next left.
    Next time this happens, boy...
    The next song is...

These all mean the one immediatly coming. But oh no, when it comes to a coming day we've got this 'simple rule of ''well, actually, in this one particular instance next actually means the one after next''. How can next mean one after next?!

Messed up, circular reasoning at its worst tbh.

This Friday is the Friday of this week, next Friday is the Friday of next week.

When I'm talking about the Friday in three days I simply say "Friday". If I don't fell like being brief or if the context calls for it I will say "On Friday" and if I'm feeling fancy I might just say "this Friday". If you're using the word "next" to refer to the coming Friday it is at best an unnecessary qualifier and at worst confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Friday the 18th is the next friday, this friday is the 11th, pretty simple IMO, the "next" friday is the Friday after the one thats upcoming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I agree with this but ..

If someone said to you on Thursday .. 'See you next Friday Sega' and jumped in their car and tore off .. what would you think they meant??

Very good point, I'd expect him/her to say "tomorrow" in that case so would think they got the grammar wrong and meant Friday week.

Darn Hiberno-English :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

Poll is nicely split :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

It depends - if you say it on a Saturday/Sunday/Monday then you would be right to think 'This Friday' = 'Next friday'. But you can't say 'Next Friday' on a Thursday night and assume the person will take it for granted that you mean tomorrow.

Me and my housemate are always debating this one cause he is on one side and I'm on the other side of the fence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If you're standing one metre from a turn in the road and tell someone to take the next left, which turn do you think they'll take - the one 1m up and to the left or the following one?

If you're at a till and you say 'closed after the next customer' as someone is approaching you, does it mean the customer you are about to serve or the following one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

next friday loosely translates as the friday that is next

If you're standing one metre from a turn in the road and tell someone to take the next left, which turn do you think they'll take - the one 1m up and to the left or the following one?

If you're at a till and you say 'closed after the next customer' as someone is approaching you, does it mean the customer you are about to serve or the following one?

Wouldnt you just say go down there?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

orourkeda wrote: »
    next friday loosely translates as the friday that is next

next friday loosely translates as the friday that is next week

robinph wrote: »
    next friday loosely translates as the friday that is next week

Today is Tuesday.

The next friday is friday.

Not the second friday which is the friday of next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

This Friday = Friday of this week
    Next Friday = Friday of next week

You would be confusing things unnecessarily to refer to the Friday of the week you are in as 'Next Friday'.

Friday is just 'Friday' if it's the one in the week you're in.
    It's 'This Friday' if there might be any confusion as to which Friday 'Friday' refers to.
    It's 'Next Friday' if it's the Friday of the next week.

Friday doesn't look like a real word any more

segaBOY wrote: »
    I'd expect him/her to say "tomorrow" in that case so would think they got the grammar wrong and meant Friday week.:(

Or you could run after the car and drag him out and say ..

"What the **** do you mean muthafcuka?? Which Friday, the 'Next Friday' as in tomorrow or 'Next Friday' as in next week's Friday, which one?? which one dammit??? .. and how do you know my Boards.ie username is 'Sega' anyway????"

orourkeda wrote: »
    Today is Tuesday.

The next friday is friday.

Not the second friday which is the friday of next week.

By saying "the next Friday" though you are changing the meaning of the "next" and clarifying it in a different way.

The next Friday is indeed the very next Friday that will occur, and that statement would still be valid up until 11:59pm on the Thursday before without causing much confusion.
    Next Friday is the one in the next week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Next Friday would be the Friday in Next Week.

Friday the 11th is THIS Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Because there is obviously so much confusion and disagreement with the meaning of the word, perhaps we should all stop using it?
    (except when we want that ambiguity;))

I'll see you on/this Friday.
    I'll see you Friday week.

Simple, no need for next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

No wonder nothing ever gets done on time in Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Or you could run after the car and drag him out and say ..

"What the **** do you mean muthafcuka?? Which Friday, the 'Next Friday' as in tomorrow or 'Next Friday' as in next week's Friday, which one?? which one dammit??? .. and how do you know my Boards.ie username is 'Sega' anyway????"

There's no need to bring this up again outlaw-I was very drunk the other night, jeez

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

By using the word 'next' your implying 'after'

If i was talking about Friday coming, i would just say Friday.

So next Friday means the Friday after this one. Simple, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Next friday---the coming Friday
    Friday Week-- Next week's friday.

Elba101 wrote: »
    Simple, no?

No, apparently not :D

I'm in the 'Next Friday' is the 'next friday to come' camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Ahh, this always bugs me!! :mad:

From what I can tell,
    this Friday=next Friday
    next Friday=Friday after next

...Confused! :confused: Is there a difference between "next Friday" and "Friday week"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

If I say February, or next February, people still take either as February 2010.
    So by that logic, next Friday is the 11/12.

But if it's March 2010, and I say 'this February' people would still take it as February 2010.

Generally I say next Friday to mean whatever the coming Friday is (i.e. 'this Friday'), and Friday week to mean the following one.
    Although, if it's Thursday and i say next Friday, I usually mean 'tomorrow week', not tomorrow - I'll just say tomorrow if I mean 'this' Friday.

Now I'm confused. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

banquo wrote: »
    It's not simple. You can't use the word next to mean one thing in every circumstance other than time.

Next customer.
    Take the next left.
    Next time this happens, boy...
    The next song is...

These all mean the one immediatly coming. But oh no, when it comes to a coming day we've got this 'simple rule of ''well, actually, in this one particular instance next actually means the one after next''. How can next mean one after next?!

Messed up, circular reasoning at its worst tbh.

Exactly. Next means the one coming after this.

Next customer, after the one dealt with.
    Next left, after this one (you take the next left, not this one etc).
    Next time this happens - the next time after this one, duh.
    The next song is (the one after this one).

It's really frikkin simple people. Next means immediately following, implying that there's something to follow, which is referred to as this <whatever>.

Take your song list. When you start playing it, you don't say 'the next song is', you say 'this song is' because there's nothing before it. Something has to exist before something can be next to it. Therefore next Friday is the next one in line. It can't be last Friday, because, well, that's last Friday. It can't be this Friday, because that's this Friday. So, therefore, logically (use you logic people!), it has to be next Friday (week, next week, the following week etc etc etc).

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

No, apparently not :D

I'm in the 'Next Friday' is the 'next friday to come' camp.

That actually confuses me more...

• Advertisement

Elba101 wrote: »
    That actually confuses me more...

The reason it confuses you is because a lot of people say 'Next Friday' .. when what they really mean is 'Friday Week'.

If everyone stuck to the 'Next Friday' is THE 'next friday' to actually happen ... then there would be no problems, but they don't :mad:

Advertisement