Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

''Next'' friday - when is it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭OnTheBalls

It's simple really. Friday is the nearest Friday. Next friday is usually 8 or more days away. When one says Friday it can never be interpreted as anything more than 7 days way. The one exception is if it's thursday. To refer to the day after the current day you say tomorrow. Friday in this sense means in 8 days. Only use next friday when refering to a timespan greater than a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Wait, whats happening on friday?

Everytime I look at the word Next now, I think its spelt wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've just read this whole thread and the word 'Friday' has been used so many times it has now lost all meaning in my head. .

LMAO :D

For me it wasn't the word 'Friday' that lost all meaning .. it was the word 'Next'.

I started thinking 'Next' is a funny word .. you never really think about it having an X in it .. :D

I swear this thread has me near madness :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

As someone has already said
    This Friday (or just Friday) -> Friday of this week
    Next Friday -> Friday of next week

same as
    This weekend -> The end of this week
    Next weekend -> The end of next week

simple, no????

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

Dacelonid wrote: »
    As someone has already said
    This Friday (or just Friday) -> Friday of this week
    Next Friday -> Friday or next week

same as
    This weekend -> The end of this week
    Next weekedn -> The end of next week

simple, no????

Spot on there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Jay P wrote: »
    Ha! The poll says coming!

No it doesn't.

Unless the poll is based on the fact that the least amount of votes wins...

**Edit - actually both possible outcomes mention 'coming' you need to be more pacific lol

Dacelonid wrote: »
    Next Friday -> Friday or next week

If this is not a Typo I'm even more consnuffled than before :)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

OutlawPete wrote: »

Obvious typo. No confusion needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Damn those fingers of mine, but yes it is a typo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

dub_skav wrote: »
    The next president meaning not this one but the one after, the next item on the list meaning not this one but the one after.
    So, if people accept that the term "this Friday" makes sense, then logically next Friday must mean the one after this friday

So if you are at the top of a queue and next is shouted, do you let the person behind you go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

It's a shíte film.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Victor_M wrote: »
    So if you are at the top of a queue and next is shouted, do you let the person behind you go?

No, but you don't skip the person in front of you, as 'next' being after the person they were just serving.

Don't be getting ahead of yourself now!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

If you were at the top of a queue, and the person serving said "Next!", wouldn't you be a little p*ssed off if the person behind you went to them to be served.

Doesn't work that way. It's a sort of quantum physics thing. You can be, but not be, at the same time. For example given of standing in line: The cashier has a customer at the checkout. Using 'this' makes sense, because it is an ongoing state: The cashier has a customer, and is moving onto the next customer.

However, if I am speaking on a Tuesday, it is not a Friday. There is no 'current' status. You are speaking not on a past Friday, a current Friday, or a Friday yet to come. You are on a sort of fourth dimension, an aberration in linearity. Heaven help us, it's a tear in the space-time continuum.

Thus, the 'this' extends beyond the day, because we cannot be within that day: It's a Tuesday! Instead, the 'this' now applies to the week. Thus, 'This Friday' refers to "The Friday of this week in which we currently think we exist." 'Next Friday' is "The Friday which is a day in the week which is to come after this one" (A week being defined by the next seven days: The Mon-Sun thing is a simple convention, not universally followed. For example, check out how many TV guides run Sun-Sat.)

NTM

Doesn't work that way. It's a sort of quantum physics thing. You can be, but not be, at the same time. For example given of standing in line: The cashier has a customer at the checkout. Using 'this' makes sense, because it is an ongoing state: The cashier has a customer, and is moving onto the next customer.

However, if I am speaking on a Tuesday, it is not a Friday. There is no 'current' status. You are speaking not on a past Friday, a current Friday, or a Friday yet to come. You are on a sort of fourth dimension, an aberration in linearity. Heaven help us, it's a tear in the space-time continuum.

Thus, the 'this' extends beyond the day, because we cannot be within that day: It's a Tuesday! Instead, the 'this' now applies to the week. Thus, 'This Friday' refers to "The Friday of this week in which we currently think we exist." 'Next Friday' is "The Friday which is a day in the week which is to come after this one" (A week being defined by the next seven days: The Mon-Sun thing is a simple convention, not universally followed. For example, check out how many TV guides run Sun-Sat.)

NTM

What that setltles it so.

This Friday coming is 'Next friday' .. I knew it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

The poll is relatively evenly split, funny how different people think it means different things, I'd never have guessed so many people would have seen it from the other perspective. Is there any resource where the official correct way can be found? I'll change the way I say it if someone can point to an official definition of next Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

this friday is the coming friday because its in this coming seven day period
    next friday is the following one because its in next seven day period

Helix wrote: »
    next friday is the following one because its in next seven day period

But it's not the 'next' Friday.

The 'next' Friday we have is 'this coming Friday'.

That's the 'next' one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

That's the 'next' one.

So why do you say "next Friday" at all? I say "next Friday" to differentiate it from "this Friday".

Both of the interpretations are grammatically valid, people are either talking about the next Friday that we'll hit or the Friday of next week but the former makes the word next unnecessary and confusing so why use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

That's the 'next' one.

no, the friday youre talking about is friday, or this friday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That's the 'next' one.

Correct, it is "The next Friday" it is not "Next Friday" though, they are two different days.

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    So why do you say "next Friday" at all? I say "next Friday" to differentiate it from "this Friday".

But that's not 'next' Friday .. that's Friday week.

Friday coming is 'this Friday' to me.

I don't use the word 'next' in that context at all.

Im just saying that grammatically, it is incorrect :)

Helix wrote: »
    no, the friday youre talking about is friday, or this friday

I agree and that's what I say.

I say these things ..

Next Week
    This Week
    Friday Week
    This Friday
    Friday Fortnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What about "friday after next"?

robinph wrote: »
    Correct, it is "The next Friday" it is not "Next Friday" though, they are two different days.

'Next Friday' is NOT a set date.

Nobody is wrong here.

If you mean 'This Friday' when your say 'Next Friday' .. you are right.

If you mean 'Friday Week' when your say 'Next Friday' .. you are also right.

"Right" in the context that it's 50/50 what people believe you mean.

Not "Right", in that it is grammatically correct though - as it is not.

'Next Friday' will always be the "Next" one that is coming.

That's the "next" one and that's the end of it :p

The solution is to NOT use the word NEXT when refering to specific days.

Use 'This Friday' and 'Friday Week' .. problem solved :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Next Friday describes the next time it will be Friday, i.e. the coming Friday.

If you want to describe next week, it is Friday week.

Actually, fcuk this. In future, nobody is allowed to use the words 'next' or 'Friday'. From now on, we just communicate in dates.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This is what I like about AH. 116 posts, getting on for 2,000 views in about 6 hours, and over 200 voters can't make their mind up what is right.

For my 2c, I would say Friday the 11th is this Friday, Friday the 18th is next Friday. I would also say Sunday the 13th is this Sunday, but Monday the 14th is next Monday!!

So my conclusion is there is no conclusive answer.

Next Friday describes the next time it will be Friday, i.e. the coming Friday.

If you want to describe next week, it is Friday week.

Exactly!

It is my belief that the word 'Next' in context with time was first used to decribe 'Weeks', 'Months' and 'Years'.

Some fool then decided to start using it to differentiate between coming days and so chaos ensues.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

But that's not 'next' Friday .. that's Friday week.

Friday coming is 'this Friday' to me.

I don't use the word 'next' in that context at all.

Im just saying that grammatically, it is incorrect :)

It's not incorrect, this Friday is the Friday of this week and next Friday is the Friday of next week, both are grammatically fine. But even if it was grammatically incorrect, using "next Friday" to mean the same thing as "this Friday" or just "Friday" is pointless and confusing. Either you should use it to mean the Friday of next week or you shouldn't use it at all and should use one of the many other ways to indicate the coming Friday.

It's good to see that you already do that :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The fact that it doesn't make grammatical sense is part of the poiint. The english language has evolved over centuries inorder to make it as difficult as possible for foriengers to be able to understand it. As the native speakers also don't understand it half the time either just goes to prove how good it is at confusing people. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Next Friday means next weeks Friday , otherwise people should just say Friday

Advertisement