Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

charlieIRL wrote: »
    from the lack of replies, it seems that nobody does or cares for that matter!

I'm interested to know... I did a web search on the topic yesterday, but didn't find much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

vicwatson wrote: »
    Reportedly (but would like to know where, Indo) Shane was asked 3 times not to wear his green and orange socks, would like to know by whom?.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/shane-lowry-flies-flag-for-ireland-on-his-socks-30446731.html

I'd say the article is rubbish. I can't think of any reason why anyone would object to him wearing odd socks, other than on sartorial grounds. If the latter is true, then it's amazing that John Daly is let anywhere near a golf course.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Bump!

Atta lad Shane. Up to -3 now.
    If he finishes this week well, McGinley would be daft not to consider him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Wouldn't like his job tbh.

Shane looking and playing like he knows he belongs on the big stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Great round today. I'd love to see him paired with Rory at some stage over the weekend if both can maintain their good starts tomorrow.

I think his chances of a wild card are based on who makes the team. If both GMac and Donald get in automatically then he has a shot. Then it'll be Poulter plus two others and there's not many in better form than Lowry, particularly if he has another good finish in the PGA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

SSK wrote: »
    Great round today. I'd love to see him paired with Rory at some stage over the weekend if both can maintain their good starts tomorrow.

I think his chances of a wild card are based on who makes the team. If both GMac and Donald get in automatically then he has a shot. Then it'll be Poulter plus two others and there's not many in better form than Lowry, particularly if he has another good finish in the PGA.

An in form Westwood would make Lowry a very remote possibility for a pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Great from Shane yesterday - I didn't see much of the golf, but will from now on and hope to see some of Shane. He seems to have the nerves to handle the big events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

vienne86 wrote: »
    Great from Shane yesterday - I didn't see much of the golf, but will from now on and hope to see some of Shane. He seems to have the nerves to handle the big events.
    The showed very little of him (in fact it was just glimpses past Ryan Palmer) but towards the end of the round we saw a good bit more.

He seems in a good frame of mind and put in an excellent score.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I've asked based on form in recent weeks and been told that he won't get a pick. Not likely to be any rookies picked.

Oh and don't be surprised if you see the 2 macs teaming up together again. - you heard it here first!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

stevieob wrote: »
    I've asked based on form in recent weeks and been told that he won't get a pick. Not likely to be any rookies picked.

Oh and don't be surprised if you see the 2 macs teaming up together again. - you heard it here first!

Unless Shane wins this week, that changes things for sure.......

You are obviously in a better position than me but from the outside the whole legal issues must be putting a serious strain on their relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

ssbob wrote: »
    Unless Shane wins this week, that changes things for sure.......

You are obviously in a better position than me but from the outside the whole legal issues must be putting a serious strain on their relationship.

I agree.

I could be wrong, but they also don't seem to play practice rounds with each other anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

From the PGA Tour Website
    His father, Brendan, was a well-known and successful Gaelic soccer :eek: star who played on the All-Ireland Championship team (County Offaly in 1982).

http://www.pgatour.com/players/player.33204.shane-lowry.html/profile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

He just teed off and its lashing it down

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Couple of dropped shots to start round 2, cut line looming now. Lets hope he steadies from here.

Good man, Shane - made the cut with a stroke to spare. This'll be great experience for him. Hope he pushes on today.

GMac just made it too, but with less to spare. Still not out of it; either of them.

He's out with Sergio today at 15:10 Irish time.

Sergio's Irish nightmare continues :D

So we might get to see a bit of Shane's play - I hope so anyway.

rrpc wrote: »
    Sergio's Irish nightmare continues :D

Unfortunately not :-( Sergio 5 shots better than Shane over the first 6 holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Maths1

its quite simple why Sergio is shots ahead of Lowry.Sergio is longer off the tee.Lowry loses shots by not making birdies on the par 5's and struggles for pars on the long 4s. In 2008 Mcilroy was 280 off the tee,lowry was 290 according to European
    Tour Stats. Lowry is no longer off the tee than when he started playing on tour.He needs a professional coach to take him to the next level. I think he is a very talented golfer,who needs to work on the weakneses in his game.If he were to work on his drives between now and the next Open-he would have a great chance of winning.no golfer will ever contend in Majors in America if they are not long off the tee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Maths1 wrote: »
    its quite simple why Sergio is shots ahead of Lowry.Sergio is longer off the tee.Lowry loses shots by not making birdies on the par 5's and struggles for pars on the long 4s. In 2008 Mcilroy was 280 off the tee,lowry was 290 according to European
    Tour Stats. Lowry is no longer off the tee than when he started playing on tour.He needs a professional coach to take him to the next level. I think he is a very talented golfer,who needs to work on the weakneses in his game.If he were to work on his drives between now and the next Open-he would have a great chance of winning.no golfer will ever contend in Majors in America if they are not long off the tee.

Why do you think he doesn't have a professional coach? Neil Manchip afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He should give butch a call...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Lowry doesn't strike me as a short hitter.
    Everyone's short compared to Rory of late.

My point is that Rory's coach was able to give him extra yardage, but Shane yardage has remained the same.When Shane
    competed in a tournament in America he said he cried afterwards because he realised he was not good enough. I think he
    should have got somebody else to have a look at his game then.he would not have lost anything by doing that. he is playing on tour 5 years now.He should be contending more often then he does. Manchip was coaching him when he was an amateur. When Rory's putting was off ,he consulted Dave Stockton. who played himself at the highest level

My point is that Rory's coach was able to give him extra yardage, but Shane yardage has remained the same.When Shane
    competed in a tournament in America he said he cried afterwards because he realised he was not good enough. I think he
    should have got somebody else to have a look at his game then.he would not have lost anything by doing that. he is playing on tour 5 years now.He should be contending more often then he does. Manchip was coaching him when he was an amateur. When Rory's putting was off ,he consulted Dave Stockton. who played himself at the highest level

But Rory's had the same swing coach since he was a kid, there's just not much logic I what's you're saying imho.

Lowry is progressing well, his length off the tee is very respectable, comparing him, or anyone, to Rory is just silly.

If you think Shane's lenght of the tee does not matter that much-check his stats for par 5's. As for Rory's coach, he is
    obviously a good one.(otherwise Rory would not be as good as he is).If he is progressing well ,why was Shane worried about keeping his tour card. It seems that he does not really play well until into the summer. He missed the cut for the 3 opening
    tournaments played in the middle east this year and missed them last year too. I want to see Shane get into the top 50,
    and have the game to stay their.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

PARlance wrote: »
    Lowry doesn't strike me as a short hitter.
    Everyone's short compared to Rory of late.

From the stats I can see he's not. He's averaging 288. The PGA average in 2013 was 280.

If you think Shane's lenght of the tee does not matter that much-check his stats for par 5's. As for Rory's coach, he is
    obviously a good one.(otherwise Rory would not be as good as he is).If he is progressing well ,why was Shane worried about keeping his tour card. It seems that he does not really play well until into the summer. He missed the cut for the 3 opening
    tournaments played in the middle east this year and missed them last year too. I want to see Shane get into the top 50,
    and have the game to stay their.

Terrible start to the year alright, so what though? Rory had terrible form 12 months ago but didn't dump his long term coach.

He's played really well this summer, game on an upward curve, qualifying for majors, making cuts, contending and you want him to change coach?

In relation to distance off the tee in 2008 it might be more relevant that he was 21 in 2008 and Rory was 19.

• Advertisement

Anyway, Shane will be first out today. What on earth happened to him yesterday? Everyone else seemed to find the course much easier yesterday.

Advertisement