Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

Would put him in the top 7.

Beard needs to go though.

The weightloss is also affecting his game negatively. Needs a bit of tubby back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

PARlance wrote: »
    3 captain picks this time around so he might be in with a decent shout.
    I'd have him ahead of Westwood but then again there may be some slight bias there :)

His WGC Matchplay win v Rory 2 years back may help Paul with his selection story. The story is getting better. I think he'll sneak in.

I couldn't remember who I thought would get third pick but it was G Mac. You have Francesco Molinari as well.

As a fellow Biffo I'd love to see him there because I think he has the mentality for the RC but I think he'll be just outside the team.

Just.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

He would be a great partner for Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Great round from Shane - should bump him up the world rankings a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

vienne86 wrote: »

Yeah I'm trying to find out if it will get him into the top 50. He is currently 68. He said in his press conference just now that his goal will be to get into the top 50 during the next few months so I guess from that, that today's efforts won't quite be enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Brilliant finish. Happy days. Pizza for grub tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Yeah I'm trying to find out if it will get him into the top 50. He is currently 68. He said in his press conference just now that his goal will be to get into the top 50 during the next few months so I guess from that, that today's efforts won't quite be enough.

There's an Irish lad on twitter (@VC606) who is a bit of a rankings guru and he reckons it'll prob just see him get to ~55

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

There's an Irish lad on twitter (@VC606) who is a bit of a rankings guru and he reckons it'll prob just see him get to ~55

Ahh so close! Hopefully one more good result will get him there!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

A few passing him out now, but still a fabulous week for him. Would love to see him get into the top 50 soon.

A few passing him out now, but still a fabulous week for him. Would love to see him get into the top 50 soon.

T8 now, no payout.

• Advertisement

Charl drop him to T9. Looked soo good an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

It was always going to happen. Top 10 is still a great result.

Does the T10 guarantee his place next year? Hope so.

Does the T10 guarantee his place next year? Hope so.

Yes, it does. He finished in a 3 way tie for 9th. Worth 14 OWGR points and will probably bring him up to 57th or 58th in the rankings. The win should bring Rory up to 2nd.

His recovery from the 5 dropped shots across 7, 8 and 9 on Friday was huge. A lot of players would have let that effect them more than he did and coming back with a bogey-free back 9 with a couple of birdies showed strength of character.

Good times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

Will today's result do much for Shane's Ryder cup position. Wouldn't it be magic to see him make that team. Love the green and gold socks with the white trousers too. What a legend. Is that for the Biffos or Ireland I wonder?

yettie1701 wrote: »
    Will today's result do much for Shane's Ryder cup position. Wouldn't it be magic to see him make that team. Love the green and gold socks with the white trousers too. What a legend. Is that for the Biffos or Ireland I wonder?

He was 16th on Euro Tour list and 23rd on world rankings list before the weekend anyway.

yettie1701 wrote: »

Good result, but he's still a long way off qualifying automatically for the Ryder Cup. His European points will be around 1.2 million, with 4th place being around 2.4 million. On the world points list, he will have around 93 points, with somewhere around 170 points being the current cut off point.

Unless he wins the US PGA or a couple of other tournaments, he will need a wild card to make the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Up to 15th in race to Dubai, just shy of 900k. Place in next years Open already in the bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

abff wrote: »
    Good result, but he's still a long way off qualifying automatically for the Ryder Cup. His European points will be around 1.2 million, with 4th place being around 2.4 million. On the world points list, he will have around 93 points, with somewhere around 170 points being the current cut off point.

Unless he wins the US PGA or a couple of other tournaments, he will need a wild card to make the team.

Yeah it's a pity he wasn't playing like this earlier in the season aswell as his chances of a wildcard are slim with Westwood and poulter certs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

No if or buts
    A brilliant tournament for him
    On a huge upward surge now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

DuckHook wrote: »
    Yeah it's a pity he wasn't playing like this earlier in the season aswell as his chances of a wildcard are slim with Westwood and poulter certs.

Poulter yes but not so sure about Westwood. Still, a good few ahead of Lowry in the queue for a pick

Cant see him making the team at this stage but id be disgusted if westwood was a guaranteed pick on his current form.

Cant see him making the team at this stage but id be disgusted if westwood was a guaranteed pick on his current form.

I think Westwood has gone on record as saying that he doesn't want to be picked if he's playing like he is at present. I think Poulter deserves a pick based on his last three Ryder Cups unless he's missing cut after cut in the run up to this year's competition. I think GMac is also likely to get a pick if he doesn't make the team automatically. After that, it's anyone's guess as to who will get a wild card.

Dust has settled....
    I actually think that Shane's best chance would be for
    Donaldson & Luke to lose a bit of form and be caught by GMac & Poulter so that those two are automatics.

That would give him the best possible chance IMO as GMac & Poulter have to be in the team.

If Donald(son)'s lost some form then it'd be far easy for Lowry to get in as an in form player.

If that was to happy it'd be harsh on Donaldson but who cares :) I think Shane would do wonders for the team spirit etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I think Westwood has gone on record as saying that he doesn't want to be picked if he's playing like he is at present. I think Poulter deserves a pick based on his last three Ryder Cups unless he's missing cut after cut in the run up to this year's competition. I think GMac is also likely to get a pick if he doesn't make the team automatically. After that, it's anyone's guess as to who will get a wild card.

I'd say Poulter, GMac and Jiminez are the most likely picks as of now but a lot could change. Lowry could still play his way in, or show enough form but his lack of RC experience won't help.

Dust has settled....
    I actually think that Shane's best chance would be for
    Donaldson & Luke to lose a bit of form and be caught by GMac & Poulter so that those two are automatics.

That would give him the best possible chance IMO as GMac & Poulter have to be in the team.

If Donald(son)'s lost some form then it'd be far easy for Lowry to get in as an in form player.

If that was to happy it'd be harsh on Donaldson but who cares :) I think Shane would do wonders for the team spirit etc.

Your assessment is spot on. Donaldson and Donald are the two players most at risk of falling outside the automatic placings. It's very unlikely Donaldson will get a wild card if he fails to make the team automatically. Donald may well get a pick if he's close.

If Poulter and Gmac make the team automatically, that would leave Shane in with a chance of getting a wild card, although McGinley would probably be concerned about being seen to be biased unless there is a cast iron case for picking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Lowry and McIlroy for the Olympics would be a great team for Ireland. Am I right in saying the Olympics will be a 2 man team?

Great finishing round from him today. He has Majors wins in him so long as he continues to progress and gets a bit of luck along the way. A British Open is a definite possibility over the next few years.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Lowry and McIlroy for the Olympics would be a great team for Ireland. Am I right in saying the Olympics will be a 2 man team?

Great finishing round from him today. He has Majors wins in him so long as he continues to progress and gets a bit of luck along the way. A British Open is a definite possibility over the next few years.

It's an individual event for the Olympics. 72 holes, no team aspect, just like a normal tournament.

Top 15 in the world qualify directly so that should see Rory in that group.
    I think each country can have 2 more outside of this (up to a max of 4 players per country) so if I've got that correct we could pick 2 more.

• Advertisement

Poulter would be a cert anyway as his the next player on both lists. As things stand one of McDowell, Jimenez and Gallacher would be disappointed. IMO Donald is the only one of the 9 that may be pushed out of the automatics. F.Molinari and Luiten would need something special I think.

Advertisement