Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

willabur wrote: »
    bit blown out of proportion this announcement.
    By the sounds of it he is not putting his hand in his pocket, more helping them out by dedicating some of his own time and expertise in relation to high performance environments

Its great to see but Feels a long way short of sponsorship

Yeah, it's not a full blown sponsorship, but I'd say he's putting his hand in his pocket alright, just doesn't want that to be the focus, is the way I'd personally read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Yeah, it's not a full blown sponsorship, but I'd say he's putting his hand in his pocket alright, just doesn't want that to be the focus, is the way I'd personally read it.

Id agree.

I have read mention of bursaries for 3rd level students, so he is definitely putting his hand in his pocket for that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Is there any particular reason that Lowry doesn't seem to play par 5s well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

willabur wrote: »
    bit blown out of proportion this announcement.
    By the sounds of it he is not putting his hand in his pocket, more helping them out by dedicating some of his own time and expertise in relation to high performance environments

Its great to see but Feels a long way short of sponsorship

I think that's a bit unfair....my own view would be that for anyone as well off as someone like shane, the easiest thing for them to do is throw a few quid at something and take all the plaudits that come with it...sure what's a couple of 100k or whatever to a multi millionaire golfer with years ahead of him in earning potential....when money is less of an issue, its the personal time and effort that's the harder option......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

The then sinks a long putt for birdie on the par 5 :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Unfortunately two bogeys on the last two holes today. Also he birdied the first and then bogeyed the second. Those mistakes are ruining the good play and a chance of winning or a high finish almost every time he plays.

Unfortunately two bogeys on the last two holes today. Also he birdied the first and then bogeyed the second. Those mistakes are ruining the good play and a chance of winning or a high finish almost every time he plays.

He's definitely striking and playing well, but it's just a couple of loose holes here and there. The form is coming though and they always say they'd prefer to be working on cutting out errors than finding birdies.

He's very close to top form though I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dublin49

He's definitely striking and playing well, but it's just a couple of loose holes here and there. The form is coming though and they always say they'd prefer to be working on cutting out errors than finding birdies.

could easily miss cut today from level so needs to cut out the water shots.Why go for the green in round one on par 5 with water in play when you have his short game ,seems needlessly risky.His Par 5s play can be his undoing .

Two bogeys on the first two holes today, that's four in a row, unfortunately not close to top form.

Good to see he's got back to level par after seven.

• Advertisement

missed 9 footer on 12 for birdie and 6 footer on 13 for par.need to be making one of them.Right on the cut so needs to par home although the cut may move out to +1 or +2 as sees to be playing tough today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Trampas

7 on par 5 might mean his race is cooked. Needs 1 maybe 2 birds on last 2 holes to make it to the weekend

Trampas wrote: »
    7 on par 5 might mean his race is cooked. Needs 1 maybe 2 birds on last 2 holes to make it to the weekend

Misses 3 putts under 10 feet in row and then makes a horlicks of par 5 , for double , not looking good

Really messing up on par 5's.

might still scrap in as was 91st an hour ago and now up to 75th.unlikely but ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

dublin49 wrote: »
    might still scrap in as was 91st an hour ago and now up to 75th.unlikely but ...

68th now. Good chance.

tobsey wrote: »
    68th now. Good chance.

95% chance of +2 being the cut according to a live statistical model, so almost certain he'll make the weekend now.

It's a tough course that's playing its toughest at the moment.

Looks like he'll make it for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,965 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Looks like he'll make it for the weekend.
    Looks like he won't, cut gone to +1.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Looks like he won't, cut gone to +1.

think he will and if he does he will be only 8 back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭abff

Cut now certain to be +2, so Shane has made it on the mark. Hopefully a good weekend to come after that reprieve.

Lowry and DeChambeau out together at 13.10, good chance of being a feature group amongst the early starters you would imagine.

Lowry and DeChambeau out together at 13.10, good chance of being a feature group amongst the early starters you would imagine.

It is a feature group. I saw Bryson was on a plane home and got told to turn back you’ve got a slot for tomorrow. Shane will just have to ignore him and play his own game and not try and out drive him

Trampas wrote: »
    It is a feature group. I saw Bryson was on a plane home and got told to turn back you’ve got a slot for tomorrow. Shane will just have to ignore him and play his own game and not try and out drive him

Don't think he'll be trying to outdrive him anyway! Might even have the opposite effect and encourage him to work it around the old-fashioned way by laying up on the par 5s, like some here want him to do, and use his short game prowess to its maximum.

really lucky to get in ,a few birdies for tail enders at the end there and he was toast.Would like to think this will work mentally to his advantage and he needs to cut out the doubles ,get a few putts to drop ,and manage the pars 5's better and he can get a good finish here.

According to shottracker Shane has just outdriven Bryson on the par 5 10th with a 325 yard drive! :eek: :pac:

More importantly, however, Bryson is four shots better on the card through 9. Shane followed two birdies, that got him back to level for the day, with another untimely and costly double on 9.

Not his best day. I wonder on days like this does he wish he missed cut

According to shottracker Shane has just outdriven Bryson on the par 5 10th with a 325 yard drive! :eek: :pac:

More importantly, however, Bryson is four shots better on the card through 9. Shane followed two birdies, that got him back to level for the day, with another untimely and costly double on 9.

Unfortunately "untimely and costly" has been a big feature of his game too many times since he won the Open.

Unfortunately "untimely and costly" has been a big feature of his game too many times since he won the Open.

he is turning bogeys into doubles at the moment which is not good,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭boardise

Missed putts from 4, 4, 8 and 9 ft.
    Also, as I mentioned before, his bunker play is quite mediocre and needs definite sharpening up..

Advertisement