Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

gypsy79 wrote: »
    What I am trying to do is remove bias from my opinion. Most people struggle to do that

Fair enough, but you might try too hard sometimes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

His form before his last couple of outings would be an absolute nightmare in foursomes

Half the time in singles he wouldnt even make it to 14.

Very hard to pick someone to play fourballs.

MacIntyre is definitely ahead of him atm. Garcia and Rose would be locks as it stands

Long way to go mind you and I feel it could go either way. I feel like it wont be close come the time the decision needs to be made (I dont know which way). But last couple weeks are positive

His form before his last couple of outings would be an absolute nightmare in foursomes

Half the time in singles he wouldnt even make it to 14.

Very hard to pick someone to play fourballs.

MacIntyre is definitely ahead of him atm. Garcia and Rose would be locks as it stands

Long way to go mind you and I feel it could go either way. I feel like it wont be close come the time the decision needs to be made (I dont know which way). But last couple weeks are positive

Rose has had one good round in the last however long but don't let that cloud your argument.

MacIntyre had won a make up tournament in Cyprus and that is it so far.

Garcia would obviously be ahead given his experience and points record.

Exactly wrote: »
    Rose has had one good round in the last however long but don't let that cloud your argument.

MacIntyre had won a make up tournament in Cyprus and that is it so far.

Garcia would obviously be ahead given his experience and points record.

See this
    Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Shane has had 0 top 5s and just 3 top 10s since his Open win nearly 2 years ago. If that standard can get on the European Ryder Cup team then I am worried that a battering will be coming.

Rose has 5 Ryder Cups and they are all ahead of him in EARNED points

As I said I dont think it will be close as Shane doesnt do things by halves. He will either have an awesome summer or an absolutely brutal one

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

The chance is there now for Shane, so many big tournaments coming up before qualifying ends. One massive week could be enough to get him over the line automatically, I hope he does because there will be serious competition for the wildcard spots. I expect Rose, Hovland, Sergio, Wallace, Mcintyre, Willett, weisberger and possibly even molinari to all be in the mix. Tough picking 3 out of that

• Advertisement

Up to 13th in the World Points List. Has overtaken Rose & Wiesberger. Expect lots of chopping and changing though as points ramp up from May.

Although taking 2 weeks off there are no OWGR points for this weeks tournament as it is a team event so won't be losing any ground there.

Just also realised how far back Poulter is.....

108 points isnt a whole lot given how many points on offer in coming weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Just also realised how far back Poulter is.....

108 points isnt a whole lot given how many points on offer in coming weeks..

has to be on team for me regardless of form/points.

he brings something to it that no other player does. its like his major where he'll raise his game for that week. like a derby in football. position in table goes out the window

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭abff

has to be on team for me regardless of form/points.

he brings something to it that no other player does. its like his major where he'll raise his game for that week. like a derby in football. position in table goes out the window

I agree that Poulter should get a pick even if he’s a few places below automatic qualification. But he has to be playing at some sort of reasonable level.

If he is going through a really bad spell, then bring him in as a vice captain, like Montgomery did with Sergio in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

One thing for sure in all this discussion around Shane getting a pick is that he damn sure better make sure he qualifies automatically....with the likes of Poulter, Stenson and Garcia looking like needing picks and possibly Paddy not wanting to be seen to be picking a mate in Shane, its tough to see how he can get picked as a wild card....

One thing that might be in his favour over another possible rookie in Bob McI is that Shane has plenty of experience playing in the states and wouldnt be as intimidated coming up against those guys as he knows them all very well and has gone toe to toe with plenty of them down the years....Bob has played well in his debut few PGA tournaments but maybe a bit soon for him? I suspect he'll be a great addition in the future but if form is similar and both need a pick, i'd go Shane every day.....he hasn't won that many tournament but they've all been big tournaments....

• Advertisement

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    One thing for sure in all this discussion around Shane getting a pick is that he damn sure better make sure he qualifies automatically....with the likes of Poulter, Stenson and Garcia looking like needing picks and possibly Paddy not wanting to be seen to be picking a mate in Shane, its tough to see how he can get picked as a wild card....

One thing that might be in his favour over another possible rookie in Bob McI is that Shane has plenty of experience playing in the states and wouldnt be as intimidated coming up against those guys as he knows them all very well and has gone toe to toe with plenty of them down the years....Bob has played well in his debut few PGA tournaments but maybe a bit soon for him? I suspect he'll be a great addition in the future but if form is similar and both need a pick, i'd go Shane every day.....he hasn't won that many tournament but they've all been big tournaments....

I agree that Shane’s chances of getting a wild card will depend on who else is in the frame. If he’s up against Poulter, Garcia or Stenson (or Molinari, if he’s anywhere close to automatic qualification) then he has no chance.

In order to make the team, he either has to qualify automatically or else hope that all of the above players either make automatic qualification or are so out of form that that can’t be considered. And even then, he would have to be pretty close to having qualified automatically to even be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,965 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

gypsy79 wrote:
    Its still hard to see him getting a pick ahead of MACINTYRE, Sergio GARCIA, Danny WILLETT (maybe), Justin ROSE or Bernd WIESBERGER
    Not that I give a toss about the Ryder but Wiesberger is completely out of firm.
    Since his tied 6th in Dubai he hasn't finished higher than 30th in any tournament and that includes two missed cuts and most towards the end of the field who made the cut. Shane is ranked higher and has shown better form than him even if it hasn't been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

abff wrote: »
    I agree that Shane’s chances of getting a wild card will depend on who else is in the frame. If he’s up against Poulter, Garcia or Stenson (or Molinari, if he’s anywhere close to automatic qualification) then he has no chance.

In order to make the team, he either has to qualify automatically or else hope that all of the above players either make automatic qualification or are so out of form that that can’t be considered. And even then, he would have to be pretty close to having qualified automatically to even be considered.

I know this isn't an easy question to answer (it's impossible I know) but what kind of form would Shane require to make an automatic pick?

For e.g Would a decent win almost guarantee it or would consistently good T20's with some high finishes get him there.

Just trying to get some sort of grasp for the task at hand.

PARlance wrote: »
    I know this isn't an easy question to answer (it's impossible I know) but what kind of form would Shane require to make an automatic pick?

For e.g Would a decent win almost guarantee it or would consistently good T20's with some high finishes get him there.

A decent win probably wouldnt be enough. He is currently about 70 points behind 9th place. There is a big enough gap (about 65 points) to 9th

https://www.rydercup.com/rankings#world-points

A good win would need to be followed up with some top 10s as others will be getting points too

Now a major win would get him in straight away

Good performance in majors will be key as could lose lots points with double points

One could easily argue that it is a straight shoot out between him and MacIntyre for rookie pick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

The timing of any win would be crucial. Just say he had a quiet summer and came into form in late August and won the BMW then he'd be in a much stronger position than if he won the USPGA in May and didn't show much form thereafter.

The timing of any win would be crucial. Just say he had a quiet summer and came into form in late August and won the BMW then he'd be in a much stronger position than if he won the USPGA in May and didn't show much form thereafter.

If he won the US PGA he would be in on points is my guess and his form wouldnt matter and the team would just have to deal with him stinking joint out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭techdiver

Yeah, I'm assuming winning a major would pretty much guarantee you a pick. Even if he didn't make it on points, Harrington would have enough cover to pick him considering he had just won a major (his second).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

If he's in the three positions just outside qualifying (which he is currently four outside), Harrington will pick him, obviously I can't be 100% sure of this, but I'd be very surprised if he didn't.

His current form as it is continued over the summer, top 10s here and there would be enough imo

He doesn't need a win to be picked, but a win puts him over the top for sure and probably qualifies him automatically anyway.

Harrington wants to pick him and will, given any opportunity that doesn't compromise him as a captain. If Shane is on the bubble no one can really say anything about him being a pick.

Anyway he's looking good for a win or a major top 5 coming up and that is probably going to be enough to qualify automatically.

Edit: For instance if Padraig was picking the team today, I believe he would pick Sergio, Shane and JR with the way the rankings currently are.

I just got a warning for saying

"If he won the US PGA he would be in on points is my guess and his form wouldnt matter and the team would just have to deal with him stinking joint out"

in answer to what would happen if Shane won US PGA and then had a drop in form

Can anybody explain how that is "uncivil"?

Some moderators here are loons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dublin49

I just got a warning for saying

"If he won the US PGA he would be in on points is my guess and his form wouldnt matter and the team would just have to deal with him stinking joint out"

in answer to what would happen if Shane won US PGA and then had a drop in form

Can anybody explain how that is "uncivil"?

Some moderators here are loons

Well guess it relates to Term relating to smell,

• Advertisement

dublin49 wrote: »
    Well guess it relates to Term relating to smell,

Do you or anyone else think it is uncivil??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Depends on what you mean by "stinking joint out".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dublin49

Didnt strike me as out of order, bit overly descriptive perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Shane is secretly a mod here.

I certainly thought it was more than a bit off and totally uncalled for.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Mod actions are not to be discussed in thread. Thanks

Post deleted.

Please familiarise yourself with the Forum Charter where it states...

If you have an issue with a moderator's action then PM the mod in question.

The open forum is not the place to take your issue to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Notwithstanding the appropriateness of how it was phrased, i wouldn't have any concerns with Shane "not performing" whether he makes it automatically or was a captains pics. Ok his form wasn't great in the last year or so but there are definite signs that he's trending in the right direction.

There are plenty of examples of european's who have come into the team who are not superstars but who peaked at the right time and who shone in the ryder cup. Shane, is a major winner and had played an awful lot on the PGA tour, has won big tournaments and been in the mix plenty of times in regular, WGC and majors......I would say that if he isn't showing any kind of form, he won't get picked anyway so if he is there, its very likely that he's playing well anyway and if he's playing well he's a match for anyone in a ryder cup scenario.....

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

bit blown out of proportion this announcement.
    By the sounds of it he is not putting his hand in his pocket, more helping them out by dedicating some of his own time and expertise in relation to high performance environments

Its great to see but Feels a long way short of sponsorship

Advertisement