Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dublin49

one thing is clear,his current form would not warrant a pick ,even from Haro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭boardise

Bit of a nothing tournament for SL. 4 goes and couldn't break par.
    Cold putter and 41% in sand saves. Much work to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Don't know what it is with Shane, there have been almost zero highlights in his game since the Open.
    I wonder would a change of caddy help, the Bo Martin influence appears to have stalled.

Don't know what it is with Shane, there have been almost zero highlights in his game since the Open.
    I wonder would a change of caddy help, the Bo Martin influence appears to have stalled.

the wheels seem to come off after a bad hole ,which would suggest the caddie is not refocusing him after a bad hole.Not sure ,he appears to get down on himself very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

dublin49 wrote: »
    the wheels seem to come off after a bad hole ,which would suggest the caddie is not refocusing him after a bad hole.Not sure ,he appears to get down on himself very easily.

Speaking of focusing and the role of the caddie, interesting to see that Harry Diamond is getting credit for Rory's victory, particularly on the 18th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Anyone else feel that Kiawah is a course that is nicely suited to Lowry? Coastal, Winds etc
    Good driver. Good scrambling and playing brilliantly with the Irons.
    Putter? Not going great. But maybe he can find a stroke on these paspalum greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Anyone else feel that Kiawah is a course that is nicely suited to Lowry? Coastal, Winds etc
    Putter? Not going great. But maybe he can find a stroke on these paspalum greens.

I absolutely agree. A decent week with the putter and I could see a top 10, a good week with it and he could well win. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

he's not a particularly good driver off the ball

112th on tour for FIR, 70th in distance which is not a good combo

he is also not a good scrambler, he is 172nd on tour for scrambles.

46 strokes gained on approach - again not great

you are correct about his putter though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

willabur wrote: »

You might get a ban for posting facts about Shane....be warned

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Please don't. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Next you'll be telling me he's not even a good golfer ;)

Good job the trophies and cheques are handed out for overall scores or Shane would be in trouble! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Next you'll be telling me he's not even a good golfer ;)

Good job the trophies and cheques are handed out for overall scores or Shane would be in trouble! :pac:

Remind me again, which trophies has Shane won this season, or last?

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Remind me again, which trophies has Shane won this season, or last?

Golf is difficult and winning even more so. Was watching one of the Tiger docs recently when someone said how golf was one of the few sports where you're losing the majority of the time, even the world number 1 loses more than he wins, which is pretty cool when you think about it.

Shane is top class professional golfer who now only plays in the biggest world events and they're incredibly hard to win but he's won arguably the biggest one less than two years ago alongside WGC and his national open as an amateur.

I'm sure if he stayed at home he could have picked up one of the Canary Classics and everyone would be happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Golf is difficult and winning even more so. Was watching one of the Tiger docs recently when someone said how golf was one of the few sports where you're losing the majority of the time, even the world number 1 loses more than he wins, which is pretty cool when you think about it.

Shane is top class professional golfer who now only plays in the biggest world events and they're incredibly hard to win but he's won arguably the biggest one less than two years ago alongside WGC and his national open as an amateur.

I'm sure if he stayed at home he could have picked up one of the Canary Classics and everyone would be happy?

My point is, the stats don't lie. Maybe there's a connection between him not winning/contending and his stats.

Pdoghue wrote: »
    My point is, the stats don't lie. Maybe there's a connection between him not winning/contending and his stats.

Fair enough, but after what's happened in the past year, I think it's fairer to assess where he is in his game after this season.

Scoring average is still the most important stat there is. Breaking down the game by stats is probably useful to the golfers themselves in gauging where their weaknesses are but I imagine they mostly already know that, although Shane would probably say his scrambling or chipping/pitching is a strength of his game, when scrambling and par 5 stats suggest it isn't.

But the individual stats are rather meaningless alone. The statistically best putter is hardly ever in the top 50 of the money list yet people reckon the PGA Tour is a putting contest at times. The most accurate driver probably struggles to be in the top 100.

Stroke average first, then maybe GIR, or now strokes gained tee to green, in order of importance and correlation with who actually wins the tournaments and cashes the cheques.

I think most people find Shane very likeable and root for him to do well every time he pegs it up. I just think that most people over estimate how good he actually is compared to fellow pros because he is irish. Fact of the matter is that he is 48th in the world ranking, over the last 2 years his average ranking is probably around 32. I would say while I really like him and I want him to do well, probably more than any other golfer... that there are 31 golfers better than him in the world. He is basically the kilkenny of gaelic football :)

I think most people find Shane very likeable and root for him to do well every time he pegs it up. I just think that most people over estimate how good he actually is compared to fellow pros because he is irish. Fact of the matter is that he is 48th in the world ranking, over the last 2 years his average ranking is probably around 32. I would say while I really like him and I want him to do well, probably more than any other golfer... that there are 31 golfers better than him in the world. He is basically the kilkenny of gaelic football :)

There are a lot more than 32 golfers in the world the last time I checked. Show some respect for a major champion, WGC winner as well as a winner of our national open as an amateur.

And lots of people like to rag on him because he has the temerity to be Irish and successful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

And lots of people like to rag on him because he has the temerity to be Irish and successful!

I don't think people rag on Shane much at all. Pointing out that his stats aren't very good isn't ragging on him. I agree with willabur that because he's so likeable, people over estimate how good he is. He's a very good golfer, who has done exceptionally well to win a major and a wgc but outside of that his winning record is hardly outstanding. Maybe it's because we've been spoilt in the last 20 years with top Irish golfers but Shane is certainly no Rory or Padraig and his winning record is also a long way behind Darren Clarke and Graeme McDowell. He has age on his side obviously. One thing about Shane is that he turns up in big events from time to time, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him win another major in his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Its not true that people like to rag on him.....but the facts are he is a golfer capable of a big performance. Not one that can do it regularly

He is ranked 60th on points gained this year. His position is inflated by WGC events. He is someway off. In reality he is a 50-75 golfer in the world with capability throw in big win that cataputs him up ranking for 2 years while the points fall off

Harrington's career was probably more consistent at his best

• Advertisement

Exactly wrote: »
    There are a lot more than 32 golfers in the world the last time I checked. Show some respect for a major champion, WGC winner as well as a winner of our national open as an amateur.

That was clearly a joke I made

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Think he may struggle if I'm honest, think we'll see the big hitters dominate this one given how long the course is.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭big_drive

Big grouping for him - Sergio and Dustin Johnson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Motivator

Its not true that people like to rag on him.....but the facts are he is a golfer capable of a big performance. Not one that can do it regularly

He is ranked 60th on points gained this year. His position is inflated by WGC events. He is someway off. In reality he is a 50-75 golfer in the world with capability throw in big win that cataputs him up ranking for 2 years while the points fall off

Harrington's career was probably more consistent at his best

Harrington was the best Irish golfer we’ll ever see. His lowest ranking between 2002 and 2010 was 17th in the world and he was comfortably in the top 10 for those years. He was a phenomenal player who went toe to toe with Woods, Singh and Mickelson many times when those three were practically untouchable. Lowry isn’t even in the same parish as Harrington and I don’t think he ever will be.

Motivator wrote: »
    Harrington was the best Irish golfer we’ll ever see. His lowest ranking between 2002 and 2010 was 17th in the world and he was comfortably in the top 10 for those years. He was a phenomenal player who went toe to toe with Woods, Singh and Mickelson many times when those three were practically untouchable. Lowry isn’t even in the same parish as Harrington and I don’t think he ever will be.

I followed Haro for years and he was nearly always in the mix when he was Lowrys age.You would imagine Lowry is the more natural /talented golfer but Haro just got so much more from what he had and I dont think Shane or practically anybody else worked as hard as him.And at his peak Haro cud be a great putter,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Those are also season long statistics and don't tell the full story.

Also those statistics do not include The Masters.
    Where he finished T21.
    Lowry's best finish and he ranked 7th in GIR.

Approach game and scrambling has improved allot over the last 8 tournaments.

e.g.
    Lowry ranks 2nd SGA on PGA tour over last 8 tournaments.

His driver has been hit or miss all season.
    He won the open with his Srixon z585. Then changed to the Z 785 without great success. Changed again at the start of the year to the ZX5.

For those who like to laugh...watch his drive on the 10th during 4th round.
    https://www.masters.com/en_US/players/player_33204.html?promo=bio_lb

But saw signs of improved accuracy off the tee at Sawgrass (8th), Honda (T36th) and Harbour Town (T9).

I think he is definitely in with a chance at Kiawah. Esp if the wind picks up.

CMcsporty wrote: »
    Those are also season long statistics and don't tell the full story.

Also those statistics do not include The Masters.
    Where he finished T21.
    Lowry's best finish and he ranked 7th in GIR.

Approach game and scrambling has improved allot over the last 8 tournaments.

e.g.
    Lowry ranks 2nd SGA on PGA tour over last 8 tournaments.

His driver has been hit or miss all season.
    He won the open with his Srixon z585. Then changed to the Z 785 without great success. Changed again at the start of the year to the ZX5.

For those who like to laugh...watch his drive on the 10th during 4th round.
    https://www.masters.com/en_US/players/player_33204.html?promo=bio_lb

But saw signs of improved accuracy off the tee at Sawgrass (8th), Honda (T36th) and Harbour Town (T9).

I think he is definitely in with a chance at Kiawah. Esp if the wind picks up.

You are right that stats don't tell the whole story but they are a very strong indicator of performance. Shane is a streaky player but has potential and mentality to contend and close out a major but the facts are that there are 30+ golfers out there who are better than him looking to win this weekend. Thats a fact. That he can raise his game before and may well do again when it matters most, well you can say that about alot of other players out there.

I'd also argue that Rory is the greatest golfer from his island of all time. I love harrington but he is well short of Rory

I'd also argue that Rory is the greatest golfer from his island of all time. I love harrington but he is well short of Rory[/QUOTE]

I would agree Rory the greatest,but as an Irish golf fan for me the enjoyment of his achievements was sullied by his remarks about being more British where as Haro was just great to follow.

Hi dublin49, please have a look at our Charter, specifically

Discussing Players Nationalities
    It is forbidden to post discussions about what Nationality a player is or who they should play for. This is purely the players decision and does not belong on this forum

Leaving post as is but please no quoting or responses folks

Not really sure what Paddy and Rory have got to do with it apart from also hailing from this island. Rory is one of the greatest players ever and Paddy is a three-time major winner and European Tour great.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Shane is in their league?

Willabur's comments are fair enough about there being 30 or so golfers with as much chance as Shane of stepping up and winning when it matters, however, that's still very rarefied air to be in.

Expectations can be a little too high when it comes to Shane (possibly related to the two golfers mentioned above) and then that leads to disappointment and frustration when he doesn't meet them.

I love watching and supporting him and enjoy his character and personality. It's great to see him in contention and makes the viewing more enjoyable and while I'm frustrated when it doesn't all come together for him in any given week that pales in comparison to his own frustartion.

I'd love to see him pick up a second major this week or whenever and push him up the golf hierarchy even more. The Ryder Cup would also be more enjoyable for me with Shane in the team to watch out for and cheer on.

• Advertisement

Open Question:

Which American golfer is most like Shane in terms of Talent & Success?

Advertisement