Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The missed cut was a disaster in the context of trying to save his card.

But his previous 3 results were two T12s and a T15.

This suggests he can still do okay and with work can still turn it around

447 k and 66th place in Race to Dubai with 6 events clocked up.

The 162 k payday at US PGA really helps here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

You can't be taken serious with a post like that.

It was a euphemism, my apologies, I should have made it simpler. At 46 PH is at a different stage in his career than Lowry, his results show he isn't really competitive on the PGA tour anymore but he is a multiple major and tour comp winner so he can look forward to competing on a different level in a couple of years. Lowry should be in his prime, has a young family, moved to the US in recent years, the loss of his PGA card is more of a blow I would suspect..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,808 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

davo10 wrote: »
    It was a euphemism, my apologies, I should have made it simpler. At 46 PH is at a different stage in his career than Lowry, his results show he isn't really competitive on the PGA tour anymore but he is a multiple major and tour comp winner so he can look forward to competing on a different level in a couple of years. Lowry should be in his prime, has a young family, moved to the US in recent years, the loss of his PGA card is more of a blow I would suspect..

Would you like to guess what age Padraig was at his prime ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

37 would be the obvious estimate with 2 major wins in 2008 and, if memory serves, player of the year on both sides of the Atlantic. Arguably however, he peaked between 04 and 07; comfortably made Ryder Cup teams, multiple wins on both tours, almost winning 06 US Open and, finally, the breakthrough at Carnoustie. So Id say his peak was at 35 or so. His form was never the same after 08. Wins a lot more sporadic and consistency fell away. Had a chance at the USPGA in 09 and the US Open in 2012 but couldnt convert and had to be picked to play his last Ryder Cup in 2010, in which he performed poorly.

I'm not sure what the relevance of that question is, but by the time he was Lowry's age he had been a pro for 7 years and had 10 wins.

Comparing golfers from different eras is difficult, the competition is different now and it may well be more difficult to win. But to bring this back on point, Harrington was/is recognised as one of the most dedicated practitioners of the game and always looks after his fitness. I also don't think you can compare their ability, Harrington showed from the outset that he was going to be a frequent winner. I don't believe second places count but anyone who remembers Harrington when he started out will remember the number of final days when he was in contention to win but he didn't seem to be able to make the final push, once he made the breakthrough, he won regularly.

To say that Lowry should not be questioned just because he is Irish is condescending to him, he is a very good golfer, he should be discussed on his golfing merits, not because of where he was born. His last couple of outings show that he is a quality golfer, but you don't lose your card because of two or three tournaments, you lose it because you haven't performed to the required standard to keep your card over a season. Now he has to look at where it went wrong and make the changes necessary to give himself the best chance to relaunch his career and hopefully get back to some top 10 finishes. There are now literally hundreds of golfers around the world who are playing on the web.com and other tours who were once on the top tour, or are trying to get there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ziggy wrote: »

You get used to it.

ziggy wrote: »

:D

Very good ziggy.

But Shane first pro in a long time - from south that you can see pick up a major.

You had Padraig and that was class - there isn't much else around

Dunne maybe.

:D

Very good ziggy.

But Shane first pro in a long time - from south that you can see pick up a major.

You had Padraig and that was class - there isn't much else around

Dunne maybe.

You can see him picking up a major, the week he loses his playing card for PGA tour? Is that because he is Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

You can see him picking up a major, the week he loses his playing card for PGA tour? Is that because he is Irish?

If he is capable of winning a WGC when on form he could do a major. Should have won the US Open so yes I would not be surprised if he won one, not because he is Irish.

Same can be said for plenty of other golfers though who on form can win a major. Look at some of the 1 hit wonders that have won majors. Lowry would certainly be well ahead of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭techdiver

Is he going to play the web.com playoffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

AGC wrote: »
    If he is capable of winning a WGC when on form he could do a major. Should have won the US Open so yes I would not be surprised if he won one, not because he is Irish.

Same can be said for plenty of other golfers though who on form can win a major. Look at some of the 1 hit wonders that have won majors. Lowry would certainly be well ahead of them.

how should he have won a US Open - DJ was clearly the best golfer that week even allowing for the rule F up...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭abff

techdiver wrote: »
    Is he going to play the web.com playoffs?

Good question. If he's serious about making it on the PGA Tour, then he should take part in the playoffs. It's either that or throw his hat at it and return to the Europeantour full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭techdiver

abff wrote: »
    Good question. If he's serious about making it on the PGA Tour, then he should take part in the playoffs. It's either that or throw his hat at it and return to the Europeantour full time.

Surely he should...

That's how Power got his card back last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Equally though, there are plenty of players who are far better than Lowry who havent won a major.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I’d say he’ll come back to live in Europe and play few few PGA tour events next year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We've had a great summer, great summer for golf, that's what Florida residents get every "winter", how you could walk away from that and back to ****e Euro weather is beyond me, it's what Poults/GMac and others live there

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

GreeBo wrote: »
    Equally though, there are plenty of players who are far better than Lowry who havent won a major.

And far worse who have.

how should he have won a US Open - DJ was clearly the best golfer that week even allowing for the rule F up...

4 clear going into the last round, getting it to -7 he should be winning.

ILook at some of the 1 hit wonders that have won majors. Lowry would certainly be well ahead of them.

Until he wins a major, he clearly isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

I don't see how Lowry can be someone who you consider will win a major. Of course any player can win a major, but if he was to win it he would be a surprise winner. As a professional he has only 2 wins and hasn't been inside the top 50 since the end of 2016. For someone to be in the category of potential winner, I think they need to be in the top 20, or be a player that has be in or around the top of the game for a long time. That said, in golf anyone can have a great 4 days and win and that's where Lowry comes in at the moment I think.

Until he wins a major, he clearly isn't.

I would disagree massively there. Lowry is a far better player then Shaun Micheel or Rich Beem

I would disagree massively there. Lowry is a far better player then Shaun Micheel or Rich Beem

They have both won majors, hard to see what you are basing your opinion on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

I know it is a bad year. But not sure why people have such little faith in an Irish golfer who just finished 12 in the last major.

The fact he is Irish is part of it - are we not supporters of Irish golf ?

It is not like this is blind faith. He has won on all main tours and would be a strong candidate to win a major imo. That would be a massive achievement - but if people here think that is not in Shane's mind - they seriously underestimate him

I am a bit perplexed by his poor performance in The Open Championship - but it is one I would have in mind for him.

Golf careers are about phases - there are very few out there that don't have ups and downs. Yes obviously guys lose form and end up off tour etc. But if you follow golf you know it has phases.

Likes of Nick Faldo , Lee Westwood, , Ernie Ells , Phil Mickelson, Garcia - all have different periods of their career.
    And they are guys at the top top of the sport.

I can see him bounce back fairly quick.

We need Irish golfers at the top - we don't have too many.

Of course we support him, but it doesn't mean it has to be blind support. Graeme McDowell only has one major, Darren Clarke one major - they have 14 and 21 wins respectively. Shane has 3 wins, one as an amateur. He is not at the level they were at at the same age, and it's not like they were raging hot favourites to win majors either. 12th is a good finish but there's such a massive difference to 12th and winning. Anyone in the field is capable of 12th, but it's a different story when it comes to winning.

I hope he does win a major, but his game needs to improve quite a bit or he needs to have a hot streak during one of them.

Of course we support him, but it doesn't mean it has to be blind support. Graeme McDowell only has one major, Darren Clarke one major - they have 14 and 21 wins respectively. Shane has 3 wins, one as an amateur. He is not at the level they were at at the same age, and it's not like they were raging hot favourites to win majors either. 12th is a good finish but there's such a massive difference to 12th and winning. Anyone in the field is capable of 12th, but it's a different story when it comes to winning.

I hope he does win a major, but his game needs to improve quite a bit or he needs to have a hot streak during one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

So you would solely rank golfers on majors won and nothing else? Were you not on another thread, incidently also about an Irish golfer, claiming that  Koepka, Johnson and Spieth and god know who else were all better than a golfer who has won 4 majors?

You seem to move the goalposts depending on your arguement with the only consistency being your need to belittle all Irish golfers.

My opinion is Shane is a better player than they are.

Micheel and Beem better players than Fowler, Monty etc...?

• Advertisement

Pogue eile wrote: »
    So you would solely rank golfers on majors won and nothing else? Were you not on another thread, incidently also about an Irish golfer, claiming that  Koepka, Johnson and Spieth and god know who else were all better than a golfer who has won 4 majors?

You seem to move the goalposts depending on your arguement with the only consistency being your need to belittle all Irish golfers.

No, I am saying that it is hard to agree that one golfer who has lost his card, has 2 wins in 10 years as a pro is a "far better" golfer that 2 pros were at the time they won majors.

If you ask me do I think Koepka, Speith, Thomas and Johnson are better golfers than McIllroy, now, yes I think they are. McIllroy's game has regressed.

I don't care if they are Irish, couldn't care less, it amazes me that you think they deserve more praise just because of where they were born, what difference does that make to them as golfers?

Advertisement