Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,126 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

kmart6 wrote: »
    Watching the CBS feed and thought the way they were speaking of Lowry for delaying play at the par 3 there was extremely disrespectful, as if he had no right to ask for a ruling and how how dare he delay Thomas.

Yeah it was very much as if a back marker was holding up the leader!

Meanwhile we got to watch Fowler's caddy rake a bunker rather than Lowry's tee shot on the next!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Watching the CBS feed and thought the way they were speaking of Lowry for delaying play at the par 3 there was extremely disrespectful, as if he had no right to ask for a ruling and how how dare he delay Thomas.

Yep. CBS commentators a right lot of aholes. Lowry was entitled to ask for a ruling. The TV coverage of this is a disgrace for a Major.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Up to 139th in the fedex cup. I’m guessing he needs a win or maybe a top three might do it next week. Unlikely unless he can find something on a Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Up to 139th in the fedex cup. I’m guessing he needs a win or maybe a top three might do it next week. Unlikely unless he can find something on a Sunday.

A solo top 5 will for sure get him in. Probably even a solo top 6 or better.
    100 points for 6th which would land him on 396. He should get in with that. But it would depend on how the others close to the bubble get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

That was poor alright. In fairness to Thomas in his interview after he defended Lowry and was putting blame on the rules officials for not making a call on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

kiers47 wrote: »

A solo top 5 will for sure get him in. Probably even a solo top 6 or better.
    100 points for 6th which would land him on 396. He should get in with that. But it would depend on how the others close to the bubble get on.
    Seamus Power is at 123 - if Lowry gets in I hope it's not at Seamus' expense

• Registered Users Posts: 20,350 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

OEP wrote: »

Seamie has had bucketloads of chances to be secure and bottled them all. If he doesn't make it, he has none to blame but himself. If Shane makes it over Seamus it'll be because he took his chancesl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

Rikand wrote: »
    OEP wrote: »

Seamie has had bucketloads of chances to be secure and bottled them all. If he doesn't make it, he has none to blame but himself. If Shane makes it over Seamus it'll be because he took his chancesl
    I'm not saying he has anyone to blame, I just hope they both make it. I would prefer Seamus to get in but that's because I'm from the same area as him. Shane has had plenty of chances too

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Looks like a top 8 finish is required.

PGA expecting 375 total points required to make the playoffs.

Needs a good start tomorrow to give him a boost.

Power is on 376 so basically make the cut should be enough for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Looks like a top 8 finish is required.

PGA expecting 375 total points required to make the playoffs.

Needs a good start tomorrow to give him a boost.

Power is on 376 so basically make the cut should be enough for him

Top 8 well within his limits after a bit of form last few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Just looking - there are guys who will have earned 3/4 of a million and will not got a card - amazing.

Just looking - if Shane was that tight , how come his number of events are so low 18 ?

He only played 6 in Europe too ?

Guys chasing are more up in the 26/27/28/29 events

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭loadwire

Just looking - there are guys who will have earned 3/4 of a million and will not got a card - amazing.

Just looking - if Shane was that tight , how come his number of events are so low 18 ?

Maybe with the baby he wanted to be working a bit less and misjudged it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

He does seem to have the schedule of a world top 50 player even though he hasn't been there for a couple of years. He also said if he misses the FedEx top 125 this week, he will take 5-6 weeks off. I know there aren't many big events in Europe in that time but I'm surprised he wouldn't enter 1 or 2 ET events to try and boost his Euro ranking. Would he go for the web.com tour finals? Really expected Shane to have made a RC by now. Maybe next time.

Anyway, hope he gets the top-5 this week. Also, hope Seamus hangs on and progresses in the FedEx.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,801 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nice Eagle on the 5th.

Huge week for him, hopefully he pulls it off.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Is GMac playing for his card too? His exemptions must be nearly up now??

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    He does seem to have the schedule of a world top 50 player even though he hasn't been there for a couple of years. He also said if he misses the FedEx top 125 this week, he will take 5-6 weeks off. I know there aren't many big events in Europe in that time but I'm surprised he wouldn't enter 1 or 2 ET events to try and boost his Euro ranking. Would he go for the web.com tour finals? Really expected Shane to have made a RC by now. Maybe next time.

Anyway, hope he gets the top-5 this week. Also, hope Seamus hangs on and progresses in the FedEx.

Slightly surprised at that as it is basically not playing till after the ryder cup. Fair enough there is then 3 big tournaments in a row, Duhill Links, British Masters & Sergios tournament
    But he's striking distance of the top 60 in the RTD so thought if he missed the fed ex he would also play in Switzerland and portugal since he has won that in the past and maybe even in the dutch.... still I assume he knows what he's doing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Nice Eagle on the 5th.

Huge week for him, hopefully he pulls it off.
    The fact it followed a bogey kinda takes away from it. Looking like he could be 7/8 shots behind afyer the 1st.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If anything he's done damage today to his chances, currently projected stuck on 139th, he needs to be advancing and making sure of the cut. V strong Friday required...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,801 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

65 minimum needed tomorrow.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Both of them screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

He was interviewed on sky last night and said he was tired out in the course. Can he really be that fit at that weight. Maybe a fitness, weights program could help him.

backspin. wrote: »
    He was interviewed on sky last night and said he was tired out in the course. Can he really be that fit at that weight. Maybe a fitness, weights program could help him.

Mentally he must be tired.

He kind of felt like he had given up but felt like he'd be ok for invites next week and won't need to go to web.com finals.

I think he said he'd be back for Portugal no matter what happens this weekend.

backspin. wrote: »

This again?! Go 4 weeks in a row playing 16 competitive rounds, flights, hotels, early starts, practice, being in contention in a major and then go into a fifth week after and see how you get on.

There is a reason the only players that tend to play week in week out are te ones chasing their cards. Players just don’t do it because it is tough Work both physically and mentally .

• Registered Users Posts: 27,126 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

AGC wrote: »
    This again?! Go 4 weeks in a row playing 16 competitive rounds, flights, hotels, early starts, practice, being in contention in a major and then go into a fifth week after and see how you get on.

There is a reason the only players that tend to play week in week out are te ones chasing their cards. Players just don’t do it because it is tough Work both physically and mentally .

No doubt, which is why the fitter you are the better.

Interesting talk on RTE the other night with Gary Murphy and a few others, mentioned how Koepka was in poor shape when he played on the European tour and then decided to work on his conditioning to become the physical specimen that he is today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

AGC wrote: »

Good thing he wasn't around in the 40's and 50's so, plenty of 36hole days, indeed the PGA was 5+ days in a row of 36holes, that's 12 rounds in 7 days to win, and even if they won they would be back out the next week for more 36hole comps.
    Also the majors were condensed so you could have three within 6/7 weeks and they were all long comps.

These guys are professionals, it's their job, they need to be mentally and physically fit for purpose.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

AGC wrote:

AGC wrote:

Are you saying carrying an extra 4/5 stone of fat is not detrimental to your overall fitness and stamina?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭techdiver

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Mentally he must be tired.

He kind of felt like he had given up but felt like he'd be ok for invites next week and won't need to go to web.com finals.

I think he said he'd be back for Portugal no matter what happens this weekend.

Sorry, could you explain this? I thought his card was gone if he didn't make the top 125 and doesn't come through the web.com playoffs?

Does he mean next season he has invites banked for most events or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,462 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Are you saying carrying an extra 4/5 stone of fat is not detrimental to your overall fitness and stamina?

Be careful - I got some load of abuse for pointing this out too.

techdiver wrote: »
    Sorry, could you explain this? I thought his card was gone if he didn't make the top 125 and doesn't come through the web.com playoffs?

Does he mean next season he has invites banked for most events or something?

He was saying along the lines he'd be in some different category and that he'd get into a lot of the events.

I guess the big ones like players etc he won't get into.

Next year instead of week I meant

• Advertisement

4/5 stone is stretching it a bit.

Not sure if Shane still does work with Robbie Cannon or not but I’m sure what he focuses on is the right thing.

I have played golf with lads who would be playing to a high level of GAA and physically in great shape and are shattered after a game of golf. You work on what you need to get around.

Very easy for lads to sit here and comment on what they don’t know about. A guy who has been on the road for 5 weeks says he’s tired and lads jump all over it. I do a long week in work and I’m bo**oxed myself.

I better hit the gym.....

Advertisement