Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Less of the weight posts last. Not needed.

Lowry had 2 6 foot putts for birdies on 17&18 and missed both to finish on -2. Wonder will this be enough to make the cut??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

charlieIRL wrote: »

Lowry had 2 6 foot putts for birdies on 17&18 and missed both to finish on -2. Wonder will this be enough to make the cut??

It wasnt - cut fell at -3.

Gmac only irish lad to make the weekend and he only just about did it himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

charlieIRL wrote: »

To be fair, sport and fitness tend to be mutually exclusive, if you are not fit enough to compete, how can you?

As for tiredness, players travel week in week out to tournaments, and will have done since they took a club in their hand, I'm pretty sure the top pros travel in comfort. Playing consecutive weeks would be tiring for most people, but if that is your job, then you are used to it. Let's not forget the pros don't have to lug that big bag around the course, they tend to hit approx 45 driver/irons and the rest are putts.

If a footballer was playing badly, tired and appeared over weight, I'm pretty sure this would be discussed as a contributing factor without sanction. If we cannot comment on players being overweight, maybe it is more PC to point to the athleticism of the players who are playing well and acknowledge the importance of fitness to their performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I'd love to see Shane on a serious gym program like Dustin or Keopka for a year or two. Just to see where it takes him. I suspect it would be the making of him.

I'm not so sure why the sensitivity about his weight. Any other sports man carrying an obvious 3 stone extra would be hammered for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

backspin. wrote: »
    I'd love to see Shane on a serious gym program like Dustin or Keopka for a year or two. Just to see where it takes him. I suspect it would be the making of him.

I'm not so sure why the sensitivity about his weight. Any other sports man carrying an obvious 3 stone extra would be hammered for it.
    Moving back to Europe and away from US style portion sizes has to help. But the solution is in his own hands wherever he is based.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Trampas

I think it just shows that if you’re not on top of game playing less than 20 events on tour isn’t enough.

Most of the others around him and above are not far off playing every week on tour possible.

If he’s fit enough only Shane knows

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

AGC wrote:
    4/5 stone is stretching it a bit.

I would say he's close to 17 stone and should probably be around 13 stone. So I don't think it's stretching it too much.
    AGC wrote:
    I better hit the gym.....

He doesn't need to hit the gym. He needs to eat right and focus on his golf.

The weight should fall off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,195 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Shane strikes me as someone who certainly prioritises other aspects of his life. This year, his first kid was born, I feel he'd prefer if he could spend all the time with her. All the more power to him too, he's good at the sport, he can make a living and live comfortably.

Yeah it may have backfired now as he loses his card, so it'll focus where he wants to put that balance. I don't think he'll change too much in the future tbh, and it'll be great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Mushy wrote:
    Shane strikes me as someone who certainly prioritises other aspects of his life. This year, his first kid was born, I feel he'd prefer if he could spend all the time with her. All the more power to him too, he's good at the sport, he can make a living and live comfortably.

I love Shanes casual nature as well. Seems like a nice bloke and I'm in awe of what he's achieved so far.

Taking the above attitude is to be commended, he's in no fear of being in the poor house and you don't get a second chance to hear your child's first word or see them take their first steps.

In keeping with the above he should lose weight for his health and his family imo. Improved golf as a by product would just be a brucey bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Mushy wrote:

I love Shanes casual nature as well. Seems like a nice bloke and I'm in awe of what he's achieved so far.

Taking the above attitude is to be commended, he's in no fear of being in the poor house and you don't get a second chance to hear your child's first word or see them take their first steps.

In keeping with the above he should lose weight for his health and his family imo. Improved golf as a by product would just be a brucey bonus.

Should we be offering lifestyle advice to airline pilots and travelling salesmen too?

We are commenting on his golf and what might improve it. The external factors apply to all golfers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

If anyone actually bothered to watch the interview Lowry was clearly talking about mental fatique and not physical.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Pogue eile wrote: »
    If anyone actually bothered to watch the interview Lowry was clearly talking about mental fatique and not physical.

Not many players (if any) would ever admit to physical fatigue. Mental fatigue/exhaustion is the cliché excuse and an easy go-to.

Admitting physical fatigue is admitting 'failure' so-to-speak. Mental fatigue isn't a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

callaway92 wrote: »
    Not many players (if any) would ever admit to physical fatigue. Mental fatigue/exhaustion is the cliché excuse and an easy go-to.

Admitting physical fatigue is admitting 'failure' so-to-speak. Mental fatigue isn't a failure.
    The difference between elite sportspeople and us is the level of sustained concentration they apply to their sport. Games like golf where that level is maintained for hours is extremely tiring. It's certainly not a cliché.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The difference between elite sportspeople and us is the level of sustained concentration they apply to their sport. Games like golf where that level is maintained for hours is extremely tiring. It's certainly not a cliché.

We’ll just stay disagreed on that so because I’m not having it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

callaway92 wrote: »
    We’ll just stay disagreed on that so because I’m not having it.

What?!

Of course maintaining a high level of concentration is going to be draining. In any walk of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Sustained mental focus is certainly very tiring.
    Being unfit is certainly very tiring.

Adding the two leads to a player being very, very tired.

So, since everyone is going to be very tired from the mental aspect, being as physically fit as possible would seems to be a no brainer.

AGC wrote: »
    What?!

Of course maintaining a high level of concentration is going to be draining. In any walk of life.

Jesus, I know concentration at a high level is draining - I was referring to what he said about my statement in regards to what Lowry said being clichèd.

Any chance of an old multiquote GreeBo :pac:

Or at least hands up :):D

Right back at 'cha. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Is there a qualification tournament option or is he heading straight back to the europeantour next season?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

He will rely on invites, I highly doubt he will choose the web tour to earn his PGA card back. Once he starts climbing back up the rankings, especially the top 64/50 the invites will come

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

GreeBo wrote: »
    Right back at 'cha. :cool:

Above was in the context of him improving under his new caddy - he has.

He is losing his card due to his full season performance .

Anyway - point scoring on an Irish pro having a bad week is a bit pathetic.

A good few posters here have always enjoyed putting Shane down.

I'd say he will come back and win a major.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'd say Alan is delighted with the money from being on the bag, nice windfall

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

I dont think its a targeted vendetta against Lowry rather a case that people can see the opportunites that he has and disagree with his approach and feel he could make imrpovements by changing a few things. Quite simply he's not taking advantage of the opportunites afforded to him in some peoples eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

slave1 wrote: »
    He will rely on invites, I highly doubt he will choose the web tour to earn his PGA card back. Once he starts climbing back up the rankings, especially the top 64/50 the invites will come

Not as easy on euro tour as points are usually much less.

Pressure on him to preform when gets invites on pga

Improving other than missing a pretty important cut you mean?

Its highly debatable as to whether or not the improvement has anything to do with a new caddy.

He didn't have a bad week, he has had a bad year.

slingerz wrote: »
    I dont think its a targeted vendetta against Lowry rather a case that people can see the opportunites that he has and disagree with his approach and feel he could make imrpovements by changing a few things. Quite simply he's not taking advantage of the opportunites afforded to him in some peoples eyes

I just think people have a silly expectation of Irish pros on tour.

We don't have a great record of performance in US - the list of players that have won over there is ridiculously low. (For all our over vaulted talk of Irish golf)

Shane coming from a level of amateur quickly into the professional golf - has now won on European Tour and US - that is a very small number of Irish golfers - including players who we consider top Irish golfers.

Shane has got in the mix in majors and has got to the top 20 in the OWGR.

People not grateful for Shane haven't followed golf long enough in Ireland.

He has made a couple of big changes in his personal life and they have been difficult and impacted on his game.

He has won over 10 million over 10 year on the European tour alone.
    He is 31 years of age - has a good 10 years ahead at the top of the game.

I fully expect him to bounce back - and periods like this are part of a pro golfers' career.

Guys with far more talent and stature in the game have had far bigger lows -

Shane has just had a T12 in the USPGA - it is not exactly like he is far off the pace off getting back to the top.

Again - I think he will win a major.

Gym or no gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

We don't have a great record of performance in US - the list of players that have won over there is ridiculously low. (For all our over vaulted talk of Irish golf)

Shane coming from a level of amateur quickly into the professional golf - has now won on European Tour and US - that is a very small number of Irish golfers - including players who we consider top Irish golfers.

He has made a couple of big changes in his personal life and they have been difficult and impacted on his game.

I fully expect him to bounce back - and periods like this are part of a pro golfers' career.

Shane has just had a T12 in the USPGA - it is not exactly like he is far off the pace off getting back to the top.

Gym or no gym.

To be fair, he has been a pro golfer for nearly 10 years, he isn't a rookie. He did well a few years ago but at 31 he has fallen off the PGA tour, that is an age when he should be in his prime, not like P Harrington with one eye on the seniors tour.

If Lowry was from the UK, or France, or the US and there was a thread about him, the posts would probably be the same. You feel it is wrong because he is Irish, I don't see what the benefit of that is myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

He has done well, its not an easy game. But the standard is so high, that it takes 100% focus. If you think its good now, wait three or four years, the standard is rising the whole time

davo10 wrote: »
    , not like P Harrington with one eye on the seniors tour.

You can't be taken serious with a post like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

davo10 wrote: »

Gym or no gym.

To be fair, he has been a pro golfer for nearly 10 years, he isn't a rookie. He did well a few years ago but at 31 he has fallen off the PGA tour, that is an age when he should be in his prime, not like P Harrington with one eye on the seniors tour.

If Lowry was from the UK, or France, or the US and there was a thread about him, the posts would probably be the same. You feel it is wrong because he is Irish, I don't see what the benefit of that is myself.

The point is that the guy has had decent success in a sport where success is hard to come by.

The fact he is 31 can also be termed a positive in that he has time to bounce back.

Not sure why the world needs to end given that he has showed some reasonable results recently

Advertisement