Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting new friends Galway...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭moonandstars

CAMILEO wrote: »
    cHEERS TALLMAN BUT THE ONLY THING THAT BOTHERS ME IS WHEN THESE PEOPLE ARE NOW IN THE SAME BOAT. THEY ARE NOW ALONE SEEKING NEW FRIENDS TOO AND SEEM TO TALK TO STRANGERS WHO THE'VE NEVER KNOWN OR WHO NEVER DID ANYTING FOR THEM AND JUST COMPLETELY SHUT AWAY PEOPLE WH'VE ALWAYS BEEN THERE FOR THEM FOR NO APPARENT REASON. IT GETS UP MY NOSE TO BE TREATED BADLY BY PEOPLE WE DO ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT

1 girl in particular I met from the boards said she was looking to meet new people too, we met up a few times, she even asked me to go to festivals and a holiday with her! However she stopped contact and I met her in town 1 day with her fella and a friend and I spoke to her. The 3 of them, esp the girl were tryin to make me feel really uncomfortable, grinning and just being completely rude!! I couldnt believe it really, I mean she said she wanted to meet people. I guess, for some people when they are with their other half or ''real'' friends it's cool to act in such a way, maybe to make themselves feel better. Sad.
    On the upside I have met some really lovely people from this, havent gone to any of the nights out as yet but I will!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Ms Fluorescent

I'm not great at organising things but would be brill if we could get a few people together on a night out or something...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'm not great at organising things but would be brill if we could get a few people together on a night out or something...:)

Ye just missed one! Plus the girls met up for bowling and a few drinks recently.

Brilliant! has another one been organised!?

Corvin wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I am male, in my mid 20s and have just moved to Galway a few weeks ago. I would like to start a meeting of people who are new in Galway. During the week, in any pub, just talking and having fun. Anyone interested?

all the new peeps should organise something soon would be good craic!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭techyjon

I would be interested in meeting new people here too. I'm living in Galway four years and I think my mum has a better social life :confused:

Anyone out there like techno? send me a PM

World cup match anyone? If your French don't bother! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

all the new peeps should organise something soon would be good craic!!

ya would be interested in organising something too. maybe a few drinks some nightor something like that. send me a pm if ur interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 foramoondance

Dancing a great way to make friends. Tango dance classes in Galway rowing club on Monday nights at 8pm, Swing dance classes Monday nights at 8pm in Bar 903.

anybody fancy a game of soccer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭telepylus

yeh techno is cool, but would more be into drum and bass, and breaks really. seen a lot of cool techno djs over the years, reckon richie hawtins was the best!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 tallman

CAMILEO wrote: »
    cHEERS TALLMAN BUT THE ONLY THING THAT BOTHERS ME IS WHEN THESE PEOPLE ARE NOW IN THE SAME BOAT. THEY ARE NOW ALONE SEEKING NEW FRIENDS TOO AND SEEM TO TALK TO STRANGERS WHO THE'VE NEVER KNOWN OR WHO NEVER DID ANYTING FOR THEM AND JUST COMPLETELY SHUT AWAY PEOPLE WH'VE ALWAYS BEEN THERE FOR THEM FOR NO APPARENT REASON. IT GETS UP MY NOSE TO BE TREATED BADLY BY PEOPLE WE DO ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT

That would hurt anyone alright. Sometimes we have to decide we are as well off without certain people. We can't change them, but we can change our reaction to them and whether we hang out with them or not. I've had to ditch a few, but we can live quite easily without them.

telepylus wrote: »
    yeh techno is cool, but would more be into drum and bass, and breaks really. seen a lot of cool techno djs over the years, reckon richie hawtins was the best!

Yeah I seen Ritchie Hawtin over in Ibiza two years ago.. I'll never forget it. Did you hear you can download his Plasticman app at his gigs and you can control the visuals.

Can't get over how popular D&B is here, I've heard alot of people on about it. I've never been to a gig but I don't think it'd be my kinda scene.

I hear there is going to be some big nights happening in Kelly's. Was anyone at Darren Emerson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭telepylus

darren emerson, no, I wanted to go but was away that night. havent been to many drum and bass nights here, was at one and it was completely empty. went to dj hype a few weeks back and it was class!! kellys is having some dancey nights? who is playing? I missed krafty kuts playing there, was a pity. didnt hear that about richie hawtins' visuals, sounds cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 MagicM83

Hey Everyone - HAPPY MONDAY :)

Seems to be a lot of interest in a night out for people new / not new to Galway!

A few of us were saying recently that a fancy dress night could be fun - if there's enough interest I could sort out hiring an area of bar or something - and its a great ice breaker when everyone is looking equally silly. Would need to think about a theme...

Anyway let me know - the last couple of meetups have been great so lets keep them going!

dont know about the fancy dress bit but something a bit fun or different is a good idea would be a good ice breaker too. a bbq would be another thing but might be difficult to organise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Pk10

dont know about the fancy dress bit but something a bit fun or different is a good idea would be a good ice breaker too. a bbq would be another thing but might be difficult to organise.

I think a BBQ would be a great idea for a meet.

Several of the hotels, including the Ardilaun and the Salthill hotel are offering to host BBQ's for a minimum of 20 pople upwards this summer. I think it is about E20 per person and they do the food and everyone buys their own drink. Sounds like a good option to me, esp as they have facilities that can be used if the BBQ gets rained off. What do other people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rallyman28

techyjon wrote: »
    Yeah I seen Ritchie Hawtin over in Ibiza two years ago.. I'll never forget it. Did you hear you can download his Plasticman app at his gigs and you can control the visuals.

Can't get over how popular D&B is here, I've heard alot of people on about it. I've never been to a gig but I don't think it'd be my kinda scene.

I hear there is going to be some big nights happening in Kelly's. Was anyone at Darren Emerson?

Hey
    Was at the D Emerson gig. Seen him 12 yrs ago in Cream, he isn't a patch of his former self TBH! I found it a real massive disappointment :mad:
    Only an opinion. Hopefully Kellys will stay on the right track with their line up!

Pk10 wrote: »
    I think a BBQ would be a great idea for a meet.

Several of the hotels, including the Ardilaun and the Salthill hotel are offering to host BBQ's for a minimum of 20 pople upwards this summer. I think it is about E20 per person and they do the food and everyone buys their own drink. Sounds like a good option to me, esp as they have facilities that can be used if the BBQ gets rained off. What do other people think?

totally be up for that :) be a bit of fun too. a lot of times ppl cant find each other so if a small event was organised like that it mite be better off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Corvin

Wednesday 7pm Cottage Bar
    Meeting for people new to Galway (or not knew, anyone who is interested)
    Nothing fancy or special, just talking and drinking a few pints maybe.
    Currently three people including me are interested.
    Anyone else, feel free to join, but would be good to have an idea in advance who would like to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Can't on Wednesday, not this week anyway. Any takers for a few drinks over the weekend?! Preferably Friday night or Saturday .....

• Advertisement

For a public BBQ, you might have to be very careful insurance wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Corvin wrote: »
    Wednesday 7pm Cottage Bar
    Meeting for people new to Galway (or not knew, anyone who is interested)
    Nothing fancy or special, just talking and drinking a few pints maybe.
    Currently three people including me are interested.
    Anyone else, feel free to join, but would be good to have an idea in advance who would like to come.

Not be shoving my nose in or anything but sometimes these things are more likely to be successful if they are on at the weekend.

Can't on Wednesday, not this week anyway. Any takers for a few drinks over the weekend?! Preferably Friday night or Saturday .....

I was thinking of going down to the docks on Saturday night for the free music!

tallman wrote: »
    For a public BBQ, you might have to be very careful insurance wise.

Would that not be covered by the venues insurance??

hyperbaby wrote: »

That could be a good idea :)

Would that not be covered by the venues insurance??

It might do. I just presumed a BBQ would have been a DIY job.

Cool! Can I come?! :D Any more 2 join us?!?! :pac::)

Cool! Can I come?! :D Any more 2 join us?!?! :pac::)

I have to warn you though, I really like Mick Flannery so i probably won't be in the mood for chatting until he finishes...
    I'll be like shhh... Be quiet!!

It's hard to know what kind of crowd will be at the free music at the docks, it will hardly be as successful as last years Volvo race but you never know...

Ermmmmm which gender are you may I ask??!!! ;):):D No fun or advantage to me with a gay guy drooling over a male musician hahaha!! :D (Well had hoped wit your name lol you're of the female species?!?! ;):D
    I have to warn you though, I really like Mick Flannery so i probably won't be in the mood for chatting until he finishes...
    I'll be like shhh... Be quiet!!

Was a bit worried there for a while, as I ain't gotta clue who Mick Flannery is lol, and us 2 are in the same age-bracket! But I've done my "research," and it seems he's a very eligible easy-on-the-eye batchelor! Good taste in men Hyp :D;):p However the music?! One song I listened to was like a combo. of The Doors, Glen Hansard and their old band, The Clash, Noelie McDonnel lol, with a bit of Mundy thrown into the mix for good measure!! But another song of his I listened to; - he sounded totally different in it lol! He sounded like Shane MacGowan! :confused::eek:

It's hard to know what kind of crowd will be at the free music at the docks, it will hardly be as successful as last years Volvo race but you never know...

Well it takes a crowd to make a crowd! :) So all we can do is do our bit! Get a little get-together going, round 'em up lol! and see if a few more can be convinced lol! After that, it's up to every-one else to do their bit in bringin' in the crowd! ;)

Actually what is this all about anyways?!?! :confused:I must do some online-investigating! :-) Is it literally just a free open-air Event for anyone that expressed an interest to play music, and anyone else that wants to listen to the music?!?! :confused:

• Advertisement

ya thats a good question who or what are playing etc. mite be more of an interest if we knew :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement