Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I Irish?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lirael

mikom wrote: »
    Forget all that.
    You are Irish if you can answer yes to one or both of the following questions.

1. Have you ever worked a full week in the bog, turnin', footin', stuckin' turf?

2. Have you ever wanked and subsequently sprayed whilst thinking about Australia?

what ye irish have all this about australia??

it's hot low populated with ca 70% of the land not nice to live in and .... gotcha - women get old faster there ... it's all about too much sun and low humidity ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Lirael wrote: »
    hell, but what about NATURALIZATION??????????

What about it ?

your either irish or your not.

none of this having 2 passports/nationality crap, only one passport !

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Erm, did you miss that whole referendum thing a few years back?

Sorry, wires crossed.

I was referring to Mexican and American dual citizenship hence the Wrestling reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

robbie_998 wrote: »
    What about it ?

Do born here from the Irish parents, etc. Irish stop being Irish once they get American, Australian, German passport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Dr_Phil wrote: »

Am I Irish?

More importantly ,do ya wanna be ? And why ? :cool:

we needz to know these things :cool: :cool:

• Advertisement

Do born here from the Irish parents, etc. Irish stop being Irish once they get American, Australian, German passport?

why the hell would ya have one of those if your irish in the first place.

get a damn irish passport !

that's the point ...

but what would you say to a child who was born in Ireland and got Irish passport but has never been to his parents' country ... ie of the war there?????

would you consider that child not Irish despite it lived all his life in Ireland???

get a damn irish passport !

I'd say in some places it is convenient to have other one :P

Because it's just a piece of paper that makes your life easy sometimes.

What about "I love Ireland and it's people, I wasn't born here, but I would fight for Ireland if there was a war"? Is that person less Irish than a scumbag who holds a piece of paper called Irish passport and was born from Irish scumbag parents?

What about "I love Ireland and it's people, I wasn't born here, but I would fight for Ireland if there was a war"? Is that person less Irish than a scumbag who holds a piece of paper called Irish passport and was born from Irish scumbag parents?

i dont know much about the irish army but i mostly see irish people in it...no ?

anyway its not about that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Quick question, as a foreigner: when do you consider a person to be Irish:

1. When has an Irish citizensip
    2. Was born in Ireland
    3. Born in Ireland from Irish parents, who were born from Irish parents, etc, etc..
    4. Is just well integrated into society and the lifestyle

Cheers.
    when your second name IS IRISH,when your grandparents tell you your family history like mine did...my second name is mannion..then you know your irish.

cruiser178 wrote: »
    when your second name IS IRISH
    Not English in any way I understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Before the citizenship referendum, a cowardly way of dealing with our inability to conduct an efficient asylum process, if you were born here then you're Irish; as it should be.
    At least since the passing of a law in the 90's, if I remember correctly.

when your second name IS IRISH,when your grandparents tell you your family history like mine did...my second name is mannion..then you know your irish.

Theres a local shop near me called "Mannion's".

sorry to say the owner is quite "tight"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but born-bread-and-buttered Irish people don't see it that way, in fact.. for the most part the complete opposite. Have you heard how we talk about our country and the state it's in?

I don't think so. But you seem to have an issue here that I don't understand.

I'm not being smart about this, but why don't you put you cards on the table? If you're vague from the start it doesn't exactly give people the incentive to entrust someone.

i dont know much about the irish army but i mostly see irish people in it...no ?
    Yup, in the main yes although in recent years there has being some non irish to be found amoung it's ranks .Last time I was entering Mckee barracks dublin I was greeted by the guard on the gate with the strongest scouse accent ie, ' how's it going mate ' ? :eek: :D

no kidding

Not English in any way I understand?
    i didnt say anything about english what are you on about?:confused:

it's about that not all Irish use names in Irish language .... most of ye have English names

Theres a local shop near me called "Mannion's".

sorry to say the owner is quite "tight"
    what you on about? so what if hes tight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

As most of this responses to this thread probably tell you, you will never be accepted as Irish if every single one of your ancestors weren't Irish. If you have a skin tone darker than pasty white, you will never be considered Irish, no matter how well you hold your drink, how much of an Irish accent you have and how Irish your last name is. I am seen as Irish to everyone but the Irish. I've gone way past caring, since I've dual nationality and the other one is much more accepting, despite me having spent much less of my life there.

This is true. addedum: to idiots.

• Advertisement

it's about that not all Irish use names in Irish language .... most of ye have English names
    mannion is not english,do you actully know anything about irish/english names?

Abigayle wrote: »
    I don't mean to be disrespectful
    No worries, you are not.
    Abigayle wrote: »
    I don't think so. But you seem to have an issue here that I don't understand.
    I'm not being smart about this.
    My issue is that I would like to know what people think. Sorry to disappoint you, but there is no hidden context.

mannion is not english,do you actully know anything about irish/english names?

I know Mannion is not :P

I can read English names but not Irish ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭dynamopiev

As most of this responses to this thread probably tell you, you will never be accepted as Irish if every single one of your ancestors weren't Irish. If you have a skin tone darker than pasty white, you will never be considered Irish, no matter how well you hold your drink, how much of an Irish accent you have and how Irish your last name is. I am seen as Irish to everyone but the Irish. I've gone way past caring, since I've dual nationality and the other one is much more accepting, despite me having spent much less of my life there.

Mega agree! I am dual nationality too and although I'm prouder of being Irish, my other is far more accepting and it would be considered racist if people tried to enforce who was 'british' or 'english'.

I know you didn't, just wanted to make sure as lots of people I know who have english second names and consider themselves irish would be very disappointed.

I know Mannion is not :P

I can read English names but not Irish ;)
    wtf you on about so:confused:,i just gave my opinion on theop question

No worries, you are not.

My issue is that I would like to know what people think. Sorry to disappoint you, but there is no hidden context.

it is as simple as ABC

me - if I would ever be awarded Irish citizenship I would never be Irish as I wasn't born there, no matter how much would I assimilate ...

This would be my country I lived in, I would admire it, I would abide the law but this would always be only a place I live in ...

there will always be a homesickeness

an Irish passport is an Irish passport regardless of regardless of whether it's an 'irish scumbag' holder who has it or not, simply because Ireland is his/her home of birth .Having a a non irish one is of no use to them, (unless your saying they shouldn't be allowed to travel abroad which is an entirley different issue I know )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

What about it ?

Ok so by this logic, "fully Irish" people that got to Australia on a 1 yr visa, decide to settle there and a few years later are awarded Australian citizenship (and still get to keep their Irish Citizenship) are not Irish at all in your book :rolleyes: . youve come out with some amount of crap in this thread

• Advertisement

I know you didn't, just wanted to make sure as lots of people I know who have english second names and consider themselves irish would be very disappointed.
    awhhhhhhhhhhhh

Advertisement