Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

One thing is for certain. The nfl is furious with the decision made by the officials. They really want to keep this team in Minnesota. As for stadiums I think that Target Field was given financial approval during a very different financial era to todays one. Cities and states are being a lot tighter with their wallets.

The twins might not be as valuable as the Vikes but you have to remember that Minnesota is a rarity in the fact that it has a team in all the major north american sports league. Its gonna be hard to please everyone.

Its a story similiar to the Sacremento Kings in the NBA. The city pleaded to keep the team. Everyone thought a stadium deal was done, only for it to be rejected. It looks very certain that the Kings will be in Anaheim next year. Wouldn't surprise me if the Vikings joined them in California in the near future.
    This is the problem though, why would you finance something not a valuable over something thats more valuable?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Arawn wrote: »
    This is the problem though, why would you finance something not a valuable over something thats more valuable?

Construction began on target field in 2007. government was very willing to give money around that time. Things have changed since.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The NFL 2012 schedule is out http://www.nfl.com/schedules?icampaign=Schedule_release_HP_CP

Some interesting matchup, 49ers are in green bay for week 1, surprised at some of the prime time games...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Thanksgiving Night.

Get in there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ravens schedule is ok

I like the bye week Week Eight

Ravens go to Pittsburgh, then go cross country to San Diego and then face the Steelers again in Baltimore in consecutive weeks
    Now that's a nasty three game series, lots of travel and physical brawling AFC North football

Luckily we face San Diego in November, they don't get hot until December :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cassel16

Two big games on Thanksgiving night... like the look of them ones anyway!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Surprised the giants/49ers game wasn't selected for prime time to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Do they use a dartboard to decide the TNF and MNF matchups?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Ravens go to Pittsburgh, then go cross country to San Diego and then face the Steelers again in Baltimore in consecutive weeks
    Now that's a nasty three game series, lots of travel and physical brawling AFC North football
    It's a scheduling disgrace. They did an awful job there.
    Luckily we face San Diego in November, they don't get hot until December :p
    This was literally the first thing I looked for in the schedule.

Ravens only on prime time three times? And one of them's against the Browns? WTF NFL?

Ravens schedule is absolutely brutal. Luckily we won every regular season game last year against quality opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Construction began on target field in 2007. government was very willing to give money around that time. Things have changed since.

Yeah but AFAIR, the Vikes had been lobbying for a new stadium since around this time too. Both teams had been lodged into the same sh!tty stadium for 25 years, so the fact the Twins got precedence is a head scratcher to say the least.
    Also the value an NFL team brings to a city goes beyond the (not inconsiderable) financial rewards. I've spent time in Indy, and I now live in Portland, and the difference in... camaraderie, for want of a better word, is massive. A northern city like Minnesota lives for its team, and I can see those politicians having a rough time getting re-elected should the Vikes head south.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

adrian522 wrote: »
    The NFL 2012 schedule is out http://www.nfl.com/schedules?icampaign=Schedule_release_HP_CP

Some interesting matchup, 49ers are in green bay for week 1, surprised at some of the prime time games...

October 7th, clearing my schedule. Green Bay-Colts, Peyton-Brady. Then I can go to bed early because ... wait for it! Texans-Jets is the marquis Game. Derpy derp!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

davyjose wrote: »
    Yeah but AFAIR, the Vikes had been lobbying for a new stadium since around this time too. Both teams had been lodged into the same sh!tty stadium for 25 years, so the fact the Twins got precedence is a head scratcher to say the least.
    Also the value an NFL team brings to a city goes beyond the (not inconsiderable) financial rewards. I've spent time in Indy, and I now live in Portland, and the difference in... camaraderie, for want of a better word, is massive. A northern city like Minnesota lives for its team, and I can see those politicians having a rough time getting re-elected should the Vikes head south.

and on top of that if the twins left the mini fans would be upset if the vikes left there'd be riots

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Broncos starting at home to pittsburgh and have to go to the georgia dome the following week before returning home for the Texans. After that its Oakland at home before Brady v Manning in week 5. VERY Tough going. Delighted we've got the maximum 5 prime time games, two on nbc and monday night football each and one on nfl network on a thursday away to the raiders. Could get flexed to more games as well, our standard season ender at home to the chiefs could decide the division and we play the ravens in week 15, Pats and 49ers play each other that week and it could be two teams with the divisions well wrapped up by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

spiralism wrote: »
    Broncos starting at home to pittsburgh and have to go to the georgia dome the following week before returning home for the Texans. After that its Oakland at home before Brady v Manning in week 5. VERY Tough going. Delighted we've got the maximum 5 prime time games, two on nbc and monday night football each and one on nfl network on a thursday away to the raiders. Could get flexed to more games as well, our standard season ender at home to the chiefs could decide the division and we play the ravens in week 15, Pats and 49ers play each other that week and it could be two teams with the divisions well wrapped up by then.

How could you get more prime time games if you already got the maximum number of 5? Unless your'e talking about being flexed to the evening, which probably will happen with that division being so tight.

On another note the Lions have a difficult enough schedule with a stretch that includes 6 road games out of 9!
    4 prime time games though, which is handy including a re-visiting of handshake-gate vs the 49ers in week 2 on Sunday night:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Can't stop laughing at this for some reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Im sure you'll all join me in sending our congratulations and best wishes to Antonio Cromartie and his wife, who are expecting two little bundles of joy in the form of twins.

That would be children number 11 and 12 for Mr. Cromartie. Four of them from his current wife, with the remaining 8 belonging to an assortment of 7 estranged partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Im sure you'll all join me in sending our congratulations and best wishes to Antonio Cromartie and his wife, who are expecting two little bundles of joy in the form of twins.

That would be children number 11 and 12 for Mr. Cromartie. Four of them from his current wife, with the remaining 8 belonging to an assortment of 7 estranged partners.

He's some man, doesn't even know all their names.

and the get more kids that wonderlic points challenge is still on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

you are fricking kidding me!! :eek:

keep it in your pants man

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

OAOB wrote: »
    He's some man, doesn't even know all their names.

To be fair he does know all the names. :confused:

• Advertisement

That hideous Steelers throw back jersey, maybe it could have been salvaged by some nice black pants and black socks, but no, it gets even worse....

steelers-throwback.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

It's the colour of road signs. It's like their jerseys are saying "caution, hazardous" or something.

watch out for the steelers this year theyl sting you .............. im sorry :(

To be honest, I always knew Ben Roethlisberger would end up wearing stripes one day. I just thought it would be thanks to a judge rather than Nike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Delighted to see this.
    Sports Illustrated's Richard Deitsch first reported Wednesday that the NFL, NFL Network and ESPN are discussing ways to avoid revealing top draft picks to viewers before they're announced.

The NFL subsequently confirmed it won't show draftees on the phone in the green room before the announced pick on the first night of the draft.

"It's also in effect for NFL Network and ESPN, which may broadcast from other locations such as a player's house or an agent's office," league spokesman Brian McCarthy told NFL.com on Wednesday.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82869a69/article/nfl-nfl-network-espn-to-reduce-draft-tipoffs?module=HP11_headline_stack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Rich Eisen was pushing very hard on that last year

Good news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

That Steelers jersey definitely looks like something from Aussie Rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I wonder what's higher, his IQ or the number of kids he has?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

davyjose wrote: »
    October 7th, clearing my schedule. Green Bay-Colts, Peyton-Brady. Then I can go to bed early because ... wait for it! Texans-Jets is the marquis Game. Derpy derp!

Don't you mean Brady and luck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cassel16

That Steelers jersey definitely looks like something from Aussie Rules.

Its pretty funny though... Harrison diving head first will just look like a massive bumblebee attacking some poor receiver

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement