Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Believe me Syferus, if you're arguing that you'd rather pick Big Ben and Eli Manning over Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Peyton Manning, nobody is going to fight you for them. The vast majority of people would prefer your leftovers.

I said Big Ben over Peyton. Eli over Brees and Peyton.

I didn't say before his neck injury I'd take Big Ben over Peyton, but that the reasons I'd take him right now over Peyton has zero to do with the neck issues. Big Ben delivers in the play-offs, Peyton routinely does not; Big Ben is 30, Peyton is 36. Both can get you to the play-offs without much fuss.

Rodgers' athleticism and freshness makes it a very hard to not pick him over Eli and I already said I'd pick Brady over Eli, but even then you're looking at Brady's age and wondering how much more you'll get out of him. Eli is without a shadow of a doubt in the very top tier now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Syferus wrote: »

This should be added as a disclaimer below everything you post. Just sayin'

;)

This should be added as a disclaimer below everything you post. Just sayin'

;)

bradying.jpg

This is what Eli has wroth, twice. Just sayin'.

;)

bradying.jpg

Ben Roethlisberger over Peyton Manning.

Ben Roethlisberger over Peyton Manning.

In a heartbeat, no less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I didn't say before his neck injury I'd take Big Ben over Peyton, but that the reasons I'd take him right now over Peyton has zero to do with the neck issues. Big Ben delivers in the play-offs, Peyton routinely does not; Big Ben is 30, Peyton is 36. Both can get you to the play-offs without much fuss.

Rodgers' athleticism and freshness makes it a very hard to not pick him over Eli and I already said I'd pick Brady over Eli, but even then you're looking at Brady's age and wondering how much more you'll get out of him. Eli is without a shadow of a doubt in the very top tier now.

What's crazy about this is how easily you're disregarding the Defense Ben has had for the duration of his ENTIRE career. you think Peyton wouldn't have a couple more rings with that D? Very naive of you Syferus.

We're back to this "QB is solely responsible for his team's playoff record" BS, that I thought we'd put behind us on this forum. I'm stunned you'd have Roethlisberger ahead one of the top 5 QB's of all time. I'm literally too stunned to laugh at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

In a heartbeat, no less.
    You use the playoffs as justification for your pick, yet you picked the QB that was beaten by Tim Tebow in the playoffs last year as elite, over a guarenteed HOF player.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭nerd69

so by your theory trent dilfer over dan marino ten times out of 10:eek:

DDC1990 wrote: »
    You use the playoffs as justification for your pick, yet you picked the QB that was beaten by Tim Tebow in the playoffs last year as elite, over a guarenteed HOF player.

A QB who has over 20 4th quarter comebacks two rings and three Superbowl appearances. If I'm choosing a QB and the goal is the obvious, to win a Superbowl, give me the one with the less stellar regular season stats and a proven record of getting it done in the play-offs over someone who has great regular season stats but has a comparatively poor post-seasons.

The Colts were a good team before they rotted in the past two seasons; yes, Big Ben had the advantage of a very solid defence but the Colts defense was designed for Peyton and no one can say with a straight face that Peyton's off-season troubles were mainly because of his defense.

The idea that comparing QBs means I'm saying it's all about them is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Syferus: me thinks your fighting a losing battle.

I'd kinda agree with you on Brees. I'm not certain of how good he is outside of the Dome. Touch of the Matt Ryan's about him in my opinion.

I agree completly on your point as to what you want a QB to do. As i said earlier regular season awards are great but i doubt Ben and Eli are worried about those when they look at their 2 rings :)

As an aside what a great QB class 2004 is. Winners of 4 of the 8 superbowls since coming into the league :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

People need to see the bigger picture with QBs instead of just the jewelry. Eli has two rings and is now forever associated with the big games and clutch but he's nothing on his brother as a QB - end of. Two rings to one but Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson have a ring each while countless greats like Marino, Tarkenton, Kelly have zero. Not the fairest criteria tbh. Is Eli great? Sure. Is he better than Steve Young, Brett Favre or Peyton because he has more rings(im counting as starter in Young's case fwiw)? **** no.

I rate Ben as a QB but take him out of the Steelers and they still post 7-8 wins with Tomlin/Lebeau and an amazingly talented team. Rodgers missed games in the past year or two and Matt Flynn did just fine in his absence. Matt Cassel got to 11-5 with the Pats..Meanwhile, subtract Peyton from the Colts and you get last season for them. I'm very excited to see what he might add this season, the first time i see him masterfully put together an 80 yard drive out of a no-huddle audible offence it'll erase any doubt as to who's better between him and ben, or his brother for that matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Gronk really wants to be on the cover

Also, hes no longer wearing the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

spiralism wrote: »
    People need to see the bigger picture with QBs instead of just the jewelry. Eli has two rings and is now forever associated with the big games and clutch but he's nothing on his brother as a QB - end of. Two rings to one but Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson have a ring each while countless greats like Marino, Tarkenton, Kelly have zero. Not the fairest criteria tbh. Is Eli great? Sure. Is he better than Steve Young, Brett Favre or Peyton because he has more rings(im counting as starter in Young's case fwiw)? **** no.

I rate Ben as a QB but take him out of the Steelers and they still post 7-8 wins with Tomlin/Lebeau and an amazingly talented team. Rodgers missed games in the past year or two and Matt Flynn did just fine in his absence. Matt Cassel got to 11-5 with the Pats..Meanwhile, subtract Peyton from the Colts and you get last season for them. I'm very excited to see what he might add this season, the first time i see him masterfully put together an 80 yard drive out of a no-huddle audible offence it'll erase any doubt as to who's better between him and ben, or his brother for that matter

So that rules Brady and Rodgers out of the greatness debate as their teams get on just fine without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

Hazys wrote: »
    -Gronkowski video-

Gronk really wants to be on the cover

Bit weird that he has a poster of himself on his wall no ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Gronk is such a obnoxious c*nt. I am just waiting for his Jersey Shore appearance.

Stev_o wrote: »
    Gronk is such a obnoxious c*nt. I am just waiting for his Jersey Shore appearance.

But he's OUR obnoxious c*nt ;)

I think he's harmless tbh, just not the sharpest tool in the shed. Not by a long shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Obnoxious...most definitely
    A cnut...very harsh

He seems like a decent, happy go lucky dude, havin d craic...altough loudly

im not a pats fan but i dont see the issue people have with him
    hes a child but thats more the fault of the american system where a gifted athlete is treated like a god from a very young age
    hes nowhere near as annoying as say a lebron james and hes no harm to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

He's a media whore alright but by God, he's some unreal player.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Say what you want about him off the field, on the field he does the business.

• Advertisement

He's always come off as a harmless jock who's loving his life. Can't say I dislike him, if anything I like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

famous footballer has a laugh. What a ****. I like gronk. Not an over the top twat but still able to have a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Just my shout on the Eli debate; coming into last season Manning wasn't an elite QB. A top 10 QB cetainly, but he wasn't consistent enough to warrant an elite label However IMO he played last season at an elite level and not just in the playoffs. He was the driving force behind what was at times a very average Giants side all season.

If people dont think thats enough to be considered elite and say he needs another 2/3 seasons at that level to be considered elite thats fine. But to me (and I had the same opinion of Aaron Rodgers prior to the start of last season), Manning has finally made the step up from a very good QB, to playing at an elite level consistently for an entire season.

At the moment he is a top 5 QB for me. only behind Brady, Brees and on a par with Rodgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I think Gronk is very funny without meaning to be.
    With all the talk of Wonderlich's recently, I can't imagine his being much higher then Claiborne's.
    But he's a great player and seems like a real happy guy.
    His injury may have been the difference between the Pats and the Giants in the Superbowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Will all his campaigning got him nowhere...the for semi-finalists are Rodgers,C, Johnson, Cam and Patrick Willis!

I'd imagine BB is delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Please, please, please don't let it be Rodgers.. We don't have Flynn anymore to back him up should things go south! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Cam Newton will win this.

The Madden curse is a load a pooh anyways.

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Cam Newton will win this.

The Madden curse is a load a pooh anyways.

thats almost a direct quote from payton hillis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter
    Last year's Madden Curse on Peyton Hillis was so strong it might have even affected Peyton Manning and Sean Payton. Bad year to be Peyton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Greatest thing about this is you know all the Packers fans are voting for everyone else, as are the Lions fans etc!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement