Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

It's a waste for the Jags to bother with Tebow. At least Gabbet has chance of being a good QB, a very slim one, but still more than Tebow. I just can't see why a new would want the circus that Tebow brings.

Gabbert hasn't a hope of being a good QB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

The only way Tebow could make it in the NFL now is if he was used as more or less a pure goal line QB. Your 5-10 yards out, bring on Tebow, either he smashes his way in, or he makes the low velocity wobbly throw to a receiver who is uncovered due to Tebow's running threat. All in all Tebow doesn't really add much to a team unless there is a dedicated and committed package for him. I'm thinking maybe a system similar to what Oklahoma did with Blake Bell (The Belldozer) for the last few years. Would love to see Tebow play this year, but it seems unlikely.

The Sooners used a standard jumbo package for Bell. It would be stuffed in the NFL. D-linemen and Linebackers across the board are bigger and faster in the NFL and would stuff draws or keepers out of jumbo package if run all the time.

Scrambling QBs who played in any sort of option scheme coming out of college are limited to very few systems that could effectively take a NFL deffense apart. Just like the Wildcat and Zone Read Option playbooks they only for so long before being shut down because the Good defense adjusts to it and knows how to stuff it.

The Key is finding the right balance and a QB who can actually throw a football. As I mentioned already about Chip Kelly many believe he is going to implement a similar style that Oregon ran. But the most likely outcome will be a balanced playbook using designed option plays and reads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

adrian522 wrote: »
    Speaking of 30 for 30 has anyone seen the Elway to Marino one yet? Aired in the US this week.

Was excellent. Elway was a conceited little prick though.

/Colts fan

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Not sure where this should go so I'll stick it in here.

Has anyone ever gone to college games in the US?

If so what's the best way of getting tickets. Is it Stubhub etc?

I'm planning a trip to the US next December. Already have tickets sorted for Seahawks@49ers. The week before Notre Dame play in Stanford. I'd love to be able to get to that though realise tickets wouldn't be easy to come by.

Anyway, any advice is welcome.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

davyjose wrote: »

/Colts fan

That 30 for 30, Elway to Marino is on ESPN America tomorrow night for anyone still waiting to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭Justin10

davyjose wrote: »

/Colts fan

I'd go along with your thinking on Elway, and I'm sure they tried to portray him in a good light.

Marino was like an after thought in it.
    Didn't think it was that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Not sure where this should go so I'll stick it in here.

Has anyone ever gone to college games in the US?

If so what's the best way of getting tickets. Is it Stubhub etc?

I'm planning a trip to the US next December. Already have tickets sorted for Seahawks@49ers. The week before Notre Dame play in Stanford. I'd love to be able to get to that though realise tickets wouldn't be easy to come by.

Anyway, any advice is welcome.

When I was in Texas a few of us went to an SMU game, against UTEP, and just picked up the tickets on ticketmaster... admittedly getting tickets for the Mustangs would be easier than getting them for the Cardinal but there's always lots of tickets available on Ticketmaster Exchange and StubHub so you should be able to get something sorted out.

Even if you don't get a ticket you should go to the game for the tailgating. THere's a great atmosphere at college games and the pre-game stuff is always great craic

Thanks yeah, that sounds like a plan!!

Just saw this on twitter.

Edit: pic by a guy called Steve Breen who is a cartoonist for the San Diego Union Tribune.

BJDzqmQCMAAdq9s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

If he's getting that now from his new hometown media, the poor fecker is really in for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,854 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

If he's getting that now from his new hometown media, the poor fecker is really in for it.

Ah c'mon, if he can't take something as light-hearted as that, he wont be much use when, inevitably, he has to face real media criticism when he underperforms in games. And I'm betting he can take a joke like that.

Ah c'mon, if he can't take something as light-hearted as that, he wont be much use when, inevitably, he has to face real media criticism when he underperforms in games. And I'm betting he can take a joke like that.

Where did I say he couldn't take it? I just made the point that he's in for some abuse.

Where did I say he couldn't take it? I just made the point that he's in for some abuse.

He will get very little of it in San Diego, especially from the players, also from the media that is probably the worst he is going to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That 30 for 30, Elway to Marino is on ESPN America tomorrow night for anyone still waiting to see it.

Available to watch here too. I posted it on the previous page but I think it may have been lost in the Tebow posts:

Justin Blackmon suspended 4 games:

Michael Fabiano ‏@Michael_Fabiano 1m
    Justin Blackmon has been suspended for Jags' first four games of 2013 for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Paully D wrote: »
    Justin Blackmon suspended 4 games:

Michael Fabiano ‏@Michael_Fabiano 1m

Pity. What's it for? Adderall I'm guessing

Do any of you subscribe to Sports Illustrated? I'm thinking about subscribing to the digital version so I'd have something to read on my tablet. They have an offer now of 1 year (56 issues) for $39 which I'd be quite happy to pay but whenever I've had a quick look at trying to subscribe it seems it's USA or Canada only and I can't get any good of any Sports Illustrated app on the iPad as it seem to be just an iPhone app with a zoom function.

If it's possible to get access to it on a tablet over here, if anyone could post a direct link or tell me how to do it that would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Paully D wrote: »
    Do any of you subscribe to Sports Illustrated? I'm thinking about subscribing to the digital version so I'd have something to read on my tablet. They have an offer now of 1 year (56 issues) for $39 which I'd be quite happy to pay but whenever I've had a quick look at trying to subscribe it seems it's USA or Canada only and I can't get any good of any Sports Illustrated app on the iPad as it seem to be just an iPhone app with a zoom function.

If it's possible to get access to it on a tablet over here, if anyone could post a direct link or tell me how to do it that would be much appreciated.
    Oh it's possible alright to get each issue....just not exactly the in the entirely legal way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Pity. What's it for? Adderall I'm guessing

It's substance abuse and not performance enhancing so he can't claim Adderall on this one. So basically it's an non-performance enhancing drug like coke, weed etc..

Wasn't he arrested last year for DUI?

• Advertisement

Wasn't he arrested last year for DUI?

Ye before he had signed his contract.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Ye before he had signed his contract.

You would think the idiot should have learned from that last year. If the abuse substance turns out to be alcohol again, then he's obviously got problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Apparently it was Blackmon smoking weed in the off-season. At least that's what the rumours coming out of Jacksonville are saying.

Cheers for that Justin.

Now can lose all the guaranteed money on his contract.

Seeing it reported that it could now void years 2013-2015, of up to $10 million in guaranteed money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Seeing it reported that it could now void years 2013-2015, of up to $10 million in gauratnteed money.

Better of been the best damn weed of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Out of curiosity, if lets say, Blackmon had smoked weed in Colorado (where its legal to smoke pot), would it make any difference as to whether he would be fined or not, considering he has not broken any state laws?

I'm not condoning or defending Blackmon's actions btw. Just asking out of interest.

TaosHum wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, if lets say, Blackmon had smoked weed in Colorado (where its legal to smoke pot), would it make any difference as to whether he would be fined or not, considering he has not broken any state laws?

I'm not condoning or defending Blackmon's actions btw. Just asking out of interest.

Even if he was smoking weed in Colorado, where it might be legal to do so. It is not legal or acceptable in the NFL. NFL rules will apply no matter what state you're in.

Vikes New Uniform

article-0-197D2434000005DC-957_634x437.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

TO. wrote: »
    Vikes New Uniform Team photo.

article-0-197D2434000005DC-957_634x437.jpg

Fyp.

:p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement