Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Trippie wrote: »

everyone knows the eagles are ****e though, cowboys tend to buy into the hype, like drafting claibourne to fix the secondary, dez to be the next superstar WR etc. they always remind me of liverpool, every year its going to be their season despite the fact they are average at best, put in redic performances to get you excited and then lose to the bucs etc
    Ouch we're hardly **** just look at the cowboys record v the eagles over the last 10 years 2nd most wins in that time after the pats including 5 NFC champ games just never win feckin anything

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Haha, it was a whole $10. They were selling ask the Reebok **** at half price. The Nike gear was extortion. Hit jerseys is the way forward.

I bought a real nike jersey and its so much more confortable than my fake, those 'cardboard' numbers have to go before I'd buy another fake!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

nerd69 wrote: »
    Ouch we're hardly **** just look at the cowboys record v the eagles over the last 10 years 2nd most wins in that time after the pats including 5 NFC champ games just never win feckin anything

I know, was just taking the piss out of you

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Langdon Alger

560721_10100105662419360_2086324288_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Patriots acquire Talib from the Buccs:

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/8580848/aqib-talib-traded-new-england-patriots-tampa-bay-buccaneers
    The New England Patriots moved to bolster their porous secondary, acquiring cornerback Aqib Talib, who has one game remaining on a four-game suspension for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances.

The Buccaneers announced the trade, completed before Thursday's 4 p.m. deadline but didn't say what they are receiving in return.

The fifth-year pro said in a statement released by the Buccaneers earlier this month that he took an Adderall pill without a prescription "around the beginning of training camp."

Talib was the 20th overall pick in the 2008 draft and was one of Tampa Bay's top defenders with 18 career interceptions.

Talib's current suspension is his second of his NFL career.

The 26-year-old was suspended without pay for the 2010 regular-season opener and also fined one additional game check for violating the NFL's personal-conduct policy. That discipline stemmed from an altercation with a St. Petersburg cab driver during training camp in August 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Talib is a serious talent but a serious idiot too.

I don't think he's a risk to messing up the locker-room atmosphere but he could be a risk as in a waste of a draft pick.

Overall i like the move, it'll be interesting to see what we gave up for him. Anything less than a 3rd then its a steal. A 3rd or higher, its a risky move if it doesn't work out.

EDIT: Talib is in the last year of his contract so i'd be shocked if we gave up a 3rd or higher.

EDIT X2: "Trade Details: CB Aqib Talib and a 2013 7th-round pick for a 2013 4th-round pick." meh we lost a 4th if it doesn't work out. If it does work out we get a Pro Bowl CB for a SuperBowl run...badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Hazys wrote: »
    Talib is a serious talent but a serious idiot too.

I don't think he's a risk to messing up the locker-room atmosphere but he could be a risk as in a waste of a draft pick.

Overall i like the move, it'll be interesting to see what we gave up for him. Anything less than a 3rd then its a steal. A 3rd or higher, its a risky move if it doesn't work out.

EDIT: Talib is in the last year of his contract so i'd be shocked if we gave up a 3rd or higher.

EDIT X2: "Trade Details: CB Aqib Talib and a 2013 7th-round pick for a 2013 4th-round pick." meh we lost a 4th if it doesn't work out. If it does work out we get a Pro Bowl CB for a SuperBowl run...badly needed.

I like the trade. Dude is seriously talented and if anyone is going to get the best out of him its Belichick.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

TaosHum wrote: »
    I like the trade. Dude is seriously talented and if anyone is going to get the best out of him its Belichick.

I agree, it wouldn't be the first time we took a loose cannon and got the best outta him. The Patriots system is just what some guys really need, to give them focus and discipline. I just hope Talib's one of those guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I agree, it wouldn't be the first time we took a loose cannon and got the best outta him. The Patriots system is just what some guys really need, to give them focus and discipline. I just hope Talib's one of those guys.

Yea he could go as well as Chad went there!!

HigginsJ wrote: »

Big difference, he wasn't a loose cannon. He just talked the talk but could never walk the walk and was found out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Yea he could go as bad as Randy Moss or Corey Dillion went there!!

I hate this analysis...its a risk.

Risks are not sure things, they could work out or not. Thats why its a risk.

BB takes calculated risks. He didn't give up too much for a chance of significantly improving the team, if it doesn't work out we lose a 4th rounder.

BB's risky trades:
    Moss for a 4th rounder
    Dillion for a 2nd rounder
    Haynesworth for a 5th rounder
    Ocho Cinco for a 5th and 6th

Thats a 50% strike rate for BB.

Giving up a 4th round pick for a 50/50 chance of getting a Pro Bowl caliber Corner...GMs would kill on draft day for that value.

TBH i think its going to work. Talib has only got into trouble out of season, so basically we need him to stay out of trouble for 4 months, he can do whatever the fcuk he wants then...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Hazys wrote: »
    Yea he could go as bad as Randy Moss or Corey Dillion went there!!

I hate this analysis...its a risk.

Risks are not sure things, they could work out or not. Thats why its a risk.

BB takes calculated risks. He didn't give up too much for a chance of significantly improving the team, if it doesn't work out we lose a 4th rounder.

BB's risky trades:
    Moss for a 4th rounder
    Dillion for a 2nd rounder
    Haynesworth for a 5th rounder
    Ocho Cinco for a 5th and 6th

Thats a 50% strike rate for BB.

Giving up a 4th round pick for a 50/50 chance of getting a Pro Bowl caliber Corner...GMs would kill on draft day for that value.

TBH i think its going to work. Talib has only got into trouble out of season, so basically we need him to stay out of trouble for 4 months, he can do whatever the fcuk he wants then...

Talib is also only 26 and has looked good when on the field. Your talking about getting a young CB, who has produced when on the field and has huge talent, for a 4th rounder.

Well worth the risk IMO and I can see it paying off unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I think it's a great move to make.

You have very little chance of getting a good starter out of a 4th round pick.
    They guy has talent but unlike Haynesworth also puts in the effort into his playing.

I think his comparison is closer to Moss/Dillon than Ocho/Haynesworth who either couldn't play well on the field or weren't bothered to.

image.php?u=616&type=sigpic&dateline=1344375689

Hines Ward is going to have a cameo role in an upcoming episode of AMC's "The Walking Dead"

enhanced-buzz-2868-1351871503-16_original.jpg?1351877844

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-presents/0ap2000000089182/Hines-Ward-appears-in-The-Walking-Dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭SixtyTwo

Hines Ward is going to have a cameo role in an upcoming episode of AMC's "The Walking Dead"

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-presents/0ap2000000089182/Hines-Ward-appears-in-The-Walking-Dead

I wonder who gets to smack him across the head. :D

enhanced-buzz-2868-1351871503-16_original.jpg?1351877844

You'd think they would have dressed him up or put a bit of make up on him at least! :D

Sean Peyton is a free agent after this season:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/20819002/report-nfl-voids-sean-payton-contract-extension-will-be-free-agent-after-2012
    Fourteen months ago, the Saints announced a contract extension for coach Sean Payton that would keep him in New Orleans through the 2015 season. In doing so, owner Tom Benson proclaimed, "Our goal is to continue to build a tradition of winning here in New Orleans, and Sean represents that tradition."

Npw that the tradition has been besmirched by the bounty scandal and Payton has been suspended for the entire 2012 season, it's possible Payton won't be coming back as the Saints head coach, after all.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the league has voided that contract extension. That means Payton will be a free agent at the end of this season -- which, quite naturally, will make him one of the most attractive head coaches on the market.

Schefter speculates that one potential destination could be the Cowboys, who are struggling with Jason Garrett and where Payton worked as an assistant coach from 2003-05. Payton also owns a house in the Dallas area.

Last month at an SMU Athletic Forum event, Payton was asked if there was a chance he could coach the Cowboys in the future.

"I'd rather answer a bounty question," Payton said, via the New Orleans Times Picayune.

The crowd laughed, and Payton said, “Right now, my focus is on staying with New Orleans and really getting back on the sidelines."

According to Schefter, the reason the contract was unacceptable to the NFL was due to a clause that would have allowed Payton to leave the team if general manager Mickey Loomis was suspended or fired by the Saints or left on his own.

“The league believed that any such language in Payton's contract would set a bad precedent for other coaching contracts and rejected the deal well before Loomis was suspended for the first eight games this season for his part in the bounty scandal,” Schefter writes. “Dating back to roughly the start of this year, the two sides engaged in numerous subsequent conversations to try to resolve the issue but never did.”

There is some confusion about whether the NFL suspension would render this year of Payton's contract void, meaning he'd actually have one year remaining. It's also unclear if Payton would leave the Saints' organization, especially since the franchise has remained loyal to him throughout the bounty scandal. But if another team (like, ahem, the Cowboys) wants to bury Payton under a mountain of money, it also wouldn't be surprising to see him move on to a new job.

For all the problems experienced by the organization in the past six months because of the bounty scandal, losing Payton would be the biggest blow of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Just when you thought things couldn't get worse for the Saints. You would think that Peyton has a strong enough connection with NO to make him stay but stranger things have happened in my 5 years following the NFL

Just when you thought things couldn't get worse for the Saints. You would think that Peyton has a strong enough connection with NO to make him stay but stranger things have happened in my 5 years following the NFL

I think he's nailed on to go to the Cowboys. He's gone through a divorce recently and has been spending a lot of time in Dallas, so much so that he bought a house in there over the last few months.

Garrett has 3 years left on his deal but we all know money is no object to Jerry and he's not getting any younger. The time for him to see his team win another Super Bowl is running out. Getting a head coach like Payton in isn't an opportunity that comes around very often and I think Jones will do what it takes to get something done.

Payton would be the best thing that could possibly happen for Romo too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I dont care as long as he doesn't end up in San Diego.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Chances are he's gona resign either way if he leaves though Philly will prob be looking for a head coach this offseason and they have a potentially explosive offence

Congrats to Hernandez on becoming a dad for the first time today. The bad news for Pats fans is it's a baby girl, so his playing genes won't be getting passed getting on :(. Which is probably good news for all ye non-Pats fans. :(

A7CcJJmCcAAlmF5_1.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Schefter : Cutting-edge news: Colts quarterback Andrew Luck has shaved his head in honor of head coach Chuck Pagano.

The kids got class :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Schefter : Cutting-edge news: Colts quarterback Andrew Luck has shaved his head in honor of head coach Chuck Pagano.

The kids got class :)

Wasn't just Luck, apparently it was a bunch of them, including Adam V.

Fair play to them for doing that and a nice show of solidarity for Pagano.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭SixtyTwo

Tim Tebow's Personal Email:

13261337005710308213944.jpg

Couple of really funny ones on there. Aaron Rodgers one being the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

The Norv Turner one is brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Bradford: Busy.

Probably getting sacked :pac:

• Advertisement

The Roger Goddell one is funny.

Also Sam Bradford "probably getting sacked" is worth an lol :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement