Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Hazys wrote: »
    In comparison to the amount of intelligence of running 100m in a straight line Vs knowing how to use your hands to beat press coverage, running the route, faking out the DB, changing the route depending on the coverage in front of you, cutting at the right angle, then catching the ball in traffic and holding onto the ball after taking a hit.

I know you are a Raiders fan but there is a lot more to the game than straight line speed and atheltic ability. Majority of the game is instinct and football intelligence, being a great athlete helps obviously but not as close much as it does in track and field. There are many world class athletes but very few who are good football players also...see Vernon Gholston, Mike Mamula, etc...i'll take Wes Welker any day.

Take Welker Vs Heward-Bey. Give Welker more athletic ability he becomes a better player but i dont think it has the same level of impact as if you were to give HB (the prototype for a WR) the same football intelligence as Welker.

FYI wonderlic has nothing to do with football intelligence.

Also of those things can be easily learnt by a chimp though. I think your over-rating football intelligence. You can teach it to anyone barring some with severe mental disabilities enough to to be a very good WR. Funnily enough you seem to think straight line speed = athletic ability It doesn't. Gholoston and Heywerd-Bay are both great in a straight line but have very poor athletic ability.

I suppose it depends on what you define as athletic ability and football intelligence. I think the difference between Welker and Heywerd-Bey is athletic ability. One guy can catch, while the other can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I think the difference between Welker and Heywerd-Bey is athletic ability. One guy can catch, while the other can't.

Oh it's a lot more than just Welker's ability to catch a ball.

Oh it's a lot more than just Welker's ability to catch a ball.

Agreed, that's one of the main ones though. The rest are all related to athletic ability and not football intelligence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Mike Mamula,

Mike gets such a hard time. He was a fine player, not amazing but not an awful one either and doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Gholston. He just gets slated as he was the 1st guy who specifically trained for the combine...

pet peeve of mine that he gets such a slating...

Also you can have Welker... i'll take Megatron!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Work ethic trumps athleticism and football iq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Lingerie football is srs business:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

So, this is pretty much the best video on youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Vikings to play the steelers in London on September 29th next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Brilliant! I'm over the moon, will finally get a chance to see them without going to Minnesota in the depths of winter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Itssoeasy wrote: »

So much for a new market and a game in Ireland. As far as the NFL is concerned England=Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

The concentration on London is unfair on mainland Europe. Germany especially must feel hard done by. Large support and pretty much home of NFL Europe when it existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Great stuff.
    lol him calling Bibi Jones "an actress"

He said it like a true gent, fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Dwayne Bowe off the Miami it seems. Good move for Bowe and the Dolphins, not sure why Kansas would do this unless they're entering a "rebuilding phase" since they have no QB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭boccy23

Is it the last year of his contract like Brandon Lloyd last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

boccy23 wrote: »
    Is it the last year of his contract like Brandon Lloyd last year?

he's under the franchise tag this season!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Far from a real thing yet. Bowe wants out of Kansas City 'very badly', but given his contract situation it's also a ploy for a better deal with the Chiefs. Depends on how much the Chiefs want him - and given they have a great RB situation holding onto an #1 WR would make for quick progress next season if they go for a franchise QB in the draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

More NFL QB's on Facebook from www.profootballmock.com
    QB-CONVO-10-15-2012-CUT-1wm1.png
    QB-CONVO-10-15-2012-CUT-2wm.png
    QB-CONVO-10-15-2012-CUT-3wm.png
    QB-CONVO-10-15-2012-CUT-4wm.png
    QB-CONVO-10-15-2012-CUT-5wm.png
    QB-CONVO-10-15-2012-CUT-6wm.png
    QB-CONVO-10-15-2012-CUT-7wm.png
    QB-CONVO-10-15-2012-CUT-8wm.png
    QB-CONVO-10-15-2012-CUT-9wm.png
    QB-CONVO-10-15-2012-CUT-10wm.png

Manning-Rivers-1.png
    Manning-Rivers-2-part-1-cut.png
    Manning-Rivers-2-part-2-cut.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

That one is funnier IMO.

Big Ben gets funnier everytime :P ... because he explains everything, when there is no need to. ;)

Also, the who's going to complete the more passes to a blue jersey competition, made me snort :P (even though the Giants were wearing white... but whatever :P)

• Advertisement

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Big Ben gets funnier everytime :P ... because he explains everything, when there is no need to. ;)

Very good!

Boggles the mind how a Director of PR can actually think posting something like this is a good idea.

http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/Take-a-Chill-Pill/2ac2453b-53de-4bc5-a5de-6de3bd0c1c74

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

You should read that forum, such crap on it.

Where massive forums about signing Nnamdi or Mario Williams.
    They where disappointed we didn't sign them.

I was always curious where american fans for other teams like that?
    Seriously unrealistic about signing players.

Boggles the mind how a Director of PR can actually think posting something like this is a good idea.

http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/Take-a-Chill-Pill/2ac2453b-53de-4bc5-a5de-6de3bd0c1c74

It gets better, this is what AJ Smith said:
    "We cannot play as a team," Smith said. "We appear to not be able to handle adversity or finish games. Individual and team confidence appears to be going south."

The organization seems to be sending two messages here. Smith also called the Chargers "a mess" and said the team will either rise from "the ashes to a division championship" or will have to start a "new era" next year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000082101/article/san-diego-chargers-to-their-fans-take-a-chill-pill

What a joke of a front office. Between them and Norv its little wonder they blew some of the best teams the franchise had ever seen and are in this position now.

What you think is a joke??

Rochey18 wrote: »
    What you think is a joke??

The Director of PR coming out to fans telling them to "take a chill pill". Totally inappropriate, given his position and the fans have every right to be pissed after that collapse monday.

Dont even get me started on AJ. Can't draft and alienates and lets go any quality player because he's too much of a smug dick to pay the talent or give way. Even right now, thanks to him you have Robert Meachem at WR instead of Vincent Jackson, an LT made of glass(with terrible replacements in harris/clary) instead of Marcus McNeill and Jackie Battle over Darren Sproles.

spiralism wrote: »
    Dont even get me started on AJ. Can't draft

While at the Chargers AJ Smith has never had a losing record.
    He is fantastic at getting talent late on in 1st round and whole way through the rounds.
    Actually I probably cant think of a better team at getting talent late on in the rounds other then maybe the Steelers are pretty solid.

Chargers are in a grand position, will probably win at least 2 out of next 3 games, maybe all 3.
    Broncos have nearly an identical schedule too, there problems didnt magically disappear.

We couldn't afford Jackson, and how can AJ justify giving Sproles all that money to be a back up?
    Marcus McNeill is retired because of his injury? Gaithar is fantastic LT, one of best in the league, LTs dont grow on threes but AJ went on got him our of no where.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    While at the Chargers AJ Smith has never had a losing record.
    He is fantastic at getting talent late on in 1st round and whole way through the rounds.
    Actually I probably cant think of a better team at getting talent late on in the rounds other then maybe the Steelers are pretty solid.

Chargers are in a grand position, will probably win at least 2 out of next 3 games, maybe all 3.
    Broncos have nearly an identical schedule too, there problems didnt magically disappear.

We couldn't afford Jackson, and how can AJ justify giving Sproles all that money to be a back up?
    Marcus McNeill is retired because of his injury? Gaithar is fantastic LT, one of best in the league, LTs dont grow on threes but AJ went on got him our of no where.

Two 8-8 seasons though and a 9-7. Given the talent level at point that constitutes horrible underachievement. I mean, 8-8 in 2008 with McNeill, Merriman, Dielman, LT, Rivers, Jackson and Gates in or near their primes and Sproles just drafted? Criminal tbh, we shouldn't have even contended for the west that year.

I wouldn't classify blowing leads of 17 and 24 on national television as being in a grand position. We had our wobble, you could be having yours now. Every year SD go through a lengthy spell of underperformance and could be heading for one now, you will not get away with that now in Manning's division. Don't be surprised if ye drop winnable games in the coming weeks.

Sure, our problems may not have vanished but we're stepping it up when its counted it seems, ye are folding in primetime. Two weeks ago it could have been 2 games back in the division with the possibility of a 3.5 game hole. Instead we're ahead.

His drafting was great up til 2007...definitely got a lot shakier since and a lot more average but unspectacular players have resulted. He seems in love with what he sees as his own genius, he's outsmarting himself.

AJ Smith also released Michael Turner and Drew ****ing Brees. Both doing pretty well. Now i know Turner's situation was dodgy with LT in the piture but don't tell me you'd take Rivers over Brees now.

Should have done whatever it took to keep Jackson, critical part of the offence, his combination of speed and size made him ideal for Rivers.

Sproles could have worked in rotation too, like he's doing in New Orleans. They didn't regret the outlay, i'll tell you that.

Gaither is made of glass man, Baltimore have the best FO in the league and they cut him loose because they knew his injuries meant he wasn't worth it. 2 out of 6 games this year is proof, he'll miss more too. He's not completed a full season since 2008. Clary is a turnstile and Harris is a rookie with a lot to learn.

I would say being equal with the great and might Manning after 6 games as being fine?? After all Chargers finish great ;)

His drafting has been nothing less then solid every single year except 2007 and even then he got Eric Weddle.

Again Turner was 3rd choice RB, he knew he was going to start somewhere so that was just a mutual decision really.

No one in the league wanted Drew Brees, even Miami said no thanks.
    Saints was his only option or stay in San Diego.

We couldn't afford Jackson 11m+, everyone even the most unrealistic fans understand that.

Sproles was behind Mathews, investing 15M into a back up was too much.

Even if Gaithar plays 8 games every year, Chargers had no choice, had to role the dice, premium LTs are extremely rare as you know.
    Harris of course has a lot to learn he is a Undrafted rookie.

For a team that has such a bad staff we are pretty solid everywhere except corner and Oline but we lost two pro bowler Olinemen in one year.
    I dont know any team that could handle that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Meet Thomas Tyner. The kid plays for the Highschool next to where I work. He broke a state record running for 640 yards and 10 TDs. And guess where he's playing next season?

It's Oregon :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement