Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82982f9f/article/report-saints-ledger-shows-cartoffs-worth-1k?module=HP11_headline_stack
    Report: Saints' 'ledger' shows 'cart-offs' worth $1K

By Gregg Rosenthal
    Around The League editor
    Published: June 1, 2012 at 06:19 p.m.
    Updated: June 1, 2012 at 08:08 p.m.

The NFL players implicated in the New Orleans Saints "bounty" scandal have repeatedly asked for evidence that a bounty program was in place. Commissioner Roger Goodell indicated that evidence will eventually come out.

On Friday afternoon, it apparently arrived, via Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports.

Citing two sources with knowledge of the situation, Cole reported that the league has a copy of a "ledger" that recorded detailed weekly earnings for players in the bounty program. The week-by-week tally included "cart-offs" and "whacks." It deducted points for "mental errors."

A player reportedly earned $1,000 for hits that resulted in an opponent being helped off the field. (A "cart-off.") Players earned $400 for "whacks." One opponent that was carted off wound up on injured reserve and had an exclamation point put next to his name.

This is potentially a devastating blow for the players' case as they appeal their suspensions. It puts a concrete number on what an injury was worth. The intent was to take players out of a game, and successfully accomplishing that goal was worth $1,000.

"The players knew what their actions were for," the source told Cole.

UPDATE: Multiple sources with knowledge of the situation later told NFL.com's Steve Wyche that the league does, in fact, possess written documentation of the Saints' program. The sources told Wyche that the documentation was kept by a coach or former coach.

Seems like Vilma is in trouble, if the documentation is as detailed as it seems.
    I presume he's in for extra penalties if his suing of Roger Goodell doesn't succeed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

I hope Roger Goodell hangs him out to dry.
    Makes it worse players coming out supporting Vilma.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

Rochey18 wrote: »
    I hope Roger Goodell hangs him out to dry.
    Makes it worse players coming out supporting Vilma.

What are the players supposed to do, they stand up for one of their own in the absence of evidence against Vilma. I wouldnt expect anything less from them. Now that the proof is out there you'll see support for Vilma dwindling.

Yes of course they look after there own when there in trouble with the league but this is different, this was a player that had no consideration for any player or their career. He was trying to injure players?

• Advertisement

Defences beware, the Gronk just got more aerodynamic.

http://t.co/NrWPi4V5

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Justin Blackmon arrested:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/03/justin-blackmon-arrested-for-aggravated-dui/
    The Tulsa World reports that Jaguars rookie wide receiver Justin Blackmon was arrested on a complaint of aggravated DUI early Sunday in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

MORE TO COME

Jesus, he had a blood alcohol level of .15 at 10am the next morning. He must have been injecting tequila into his veins for that to happen. A guy his size would have that reading after drinking around 7 or 8 beers in the space of an hour, or downing a half pint of whiskey. For him to still have that at 10 the next morning is ridiculous.

Edit: Dear God, it was actually a .24, which is factually closer to death than it is the legal limit...

Just on another note, something we have done great in this country getting rid of drink driving.

That limit is crazy! Not surprising with all the money he just received :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RGIII

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Just on another note, something we have done great in this country getting rid of drink driving.

That limit is crazy! Not surprising with all the money he just received :rolleyes:

He hasn't signed a contract yet.

• Advertisement

I never said he did?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RGIII

Wonder where he got all that money then.

Seriously?? He probably gets drink for free.
    He has signed endorsements, He would get money from any bank because of his expected income.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Jaguars are going to give him less of a signing bonus and lass guaranteed money now, its official. What an idiot

He's pleaded not guilty.

How he expects to get away with this, I just don't know. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

He's pleaded not guilty.

It was just mouthwash!! SUPER MOUTHWASH!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Look at the size of Randy's legs :O

mfuCc.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

He's pleaded not guilty.

On twitter they were saying they normally plead not guilty, while they negotiate a plea bargain, possibly what's happening here...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

UCD AFC wrote: »
    what sort of interest did you get? it might be worth making a thread closer to the season? if you need any help organizing the league drop me a message, would love to get one going

None :( Would love to do a dynasty league as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

no excuse for a DUI but it's an interesting take on the car service.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19257583/trust-me-player-dui-arrests-are-about-more-than-poor-judgment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Anyone know if "The U" from the 30 for 30 series is good?
    Turned it on half way through this evening 'cause it seemed interesting, but I didn't want to watch it after missing the first hour!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah its very good well worth watching. Most of that series is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,517 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is worth watching too! Hate when I like something about one of our divisional rivals.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

adrian522 wrote: »
    Yeah its very good well worth watching. Most of that series is very good.

The ones I've seen have all been excellent, "Run Ricky Run" and "The Two Escobars" are the best ones I've seen. Watch the one about the USFL there yesterday, thought it was fairly interesting as I'd never even heard of it before!
    eagle eye wrote: »
    This is worth watching too! Hate when I like something about one of our divisional rivals.:)

I'm in love.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Love this video

Stafford is such a bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

baz2009 wrote: »

I'm in love.

Yea with about 30 women :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Turned it on half way through this evening 'cause it seemed interesting, but I didn't want to watch it after missing the first hour!

all the football ones are worth watching tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

eagle eye wrote: »

The 'Phins are now my second team :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Haven't seen that one but one of the best documentaries I've ever seen is Pony Excess from the 30 for 30:
    The rise, fall, and rebirth of the SMU Mustangs football program, which received a 2-year "death penalty" for major infractions after David Stanley blew the whistle on the long-suspected program.

Also, The Fab Five is brilliant too:
    The story of the 1991 Michigan men's basketball recruiting class, called the Fab Five, one of whom (Chris Webber) was later involved in a notorious pay-for-play scandal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I thought the best one was Catching Hell

It's about a Chicago Cubs fan who tried to catch a foul ball and interfered with the player, the team ended up losing the game and the city turned on him

Great watch

You don't need to understand baseball to watch it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement