Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

Have to say I thought Remember the a Titans was mawkish pap. I used to hate him...cos he was black...but now I see no colour...cos he is my bro...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

adrian522 wrote: »
    The TV series is very weak in my opinion. It's more teen drama than anything. I find it very cringe worthy and hard to watch, pretty predictable too. I couldn't get through the second series. I think the movie is excellent though, probably the best football movie out there.

The second series is bad, because of the whole writer problems.
    Get through the series I be surprised if you dont enjoy it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Rochey18 wrote: »
    The second series is bad, because of the whole writer problems.
    Get through the series I be surprised if you dont enjoy it.

OK, I'll finish that series and see what the third is like.

I didn't realise there were writer problems, was there a strike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Ye there was a strike during the second series.
    One thing I didnt like about FNL was it would have a story line then go totally off track for example the Mexican linebacker was never heard of again after 2-3 episodes I think.

The big story of the young QB at the Panthers then in the final year he was dropped. Never knew why. Kinda would just leave side plots without finishing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ye there was a strike during the second series.
    One thing I didnt like about FNL was it would have a story line then go totally off track for example the Mexican linebacker was never heard of again after 2-3 episodes I think.

The big story of the young QB at the Panthers then in the final year he was dropped. Never knew why. Kinda would just leave side plots without finishing them.

I loved the show too but I hated how storylines and characters were completely dropped between the seasons. What happened to the Smash's bipolar girlfriend? That was never resolved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Watch for Nnamdi Asomugha at the start of one of the seasons.
    I'm pretty sure it's season four

He did very well in his small role, future acting career for him maybe
    He's just talented at everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The TV show of Friday Night Lights is excellent IMO, better than the film (which I also enjoyed).

Yep, it's season 4 episode 1 that Asomugha is in Mike, in the role of Ken Shaw.

I finished watching One Tree Hill recently and only now has it dawned on me that the teacher Julie is with in college is actually one of the main characters in the last seasons of One Tree Hill. Never even realised until I was looking back on FNL just there :pac:

One thing I have to say that is great about FNL is the ending. They didn't look to drag it on needlessly which many other shows do and they finished it perfectly.

The creator of the show was saying last year that there's going to be a film following on from the show with production starting this year, haven't heard anything else on that for ages though, has anyone else?

A quick google and it seems that the script is done, but getting the whole cast together is going to be a problem.

A quick google and it seems that the script is done, but getting the whole cast together is going to be a problem.

Cheers mate.

One the one hand I'd love a film, but on the other hand the show finished so well that a film could easily ruin the great ending, so I'm caught in two minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

CoachTO wrote: »

Glad he can see a reason to smile during his second mugshot :rolleyes:. Two words for him - fúcking muppet!

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

What a thick fúck. And he has to potential to be a modern day Warren Sapp if he wanted to. Clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Crikey, what a draft class 2011 is becoming:mad:
    Out of the 5 players drafted, 2 players (Fairly & Leshore) have been arrested TWICE. Another one (Culbreath) caught by the police with marijuana a few months ago.
    And Titus Young been kicked out of the OTA's last week for punching a teammate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I think the blame lies with Jim Schwartz.

matthew8 wrote: »
    I think the blame lies with Jim Schwartz.

Oh yeah? Is Jim out partying with them and in their cars with them when they get caught? Whatever about attitudes on the field being the fault of the coaches attitude off the field has absolutely nothing to do with the coaching staff. If anything the organisations could be blamed for not punishing these muppets for getting arrested.

Oh yeah? Is Jim out partying with them and in their cars with them when they get caught? Whatever about attitudes on the field being the fault of the coaches attitude off the field has absolutely nothing to do with the coaching staff. If anything the organisations could be blamed for not punishing these muppets for getting arrested.

Schwartz has a history of dirty players on and off the field. I don't think it's a coincidence that Cortland Finnegan, Mikel Leshoure, Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley are all coached by Jim Schwartz (apart from Finnegan, who was developed by Schwartz). We've all seen he's not the most mature of NFL coaches after the 49ers game. And I don't think that players are completely different on and off the field. Lawrence Taylor wasn't and what a surprise it seems Brandon Meriweather was also arrested.

Schwartz has a history of dirty players on and off the field. I don't think it's a coincidence that Cortland Finnegan, Mikel Leshoure, Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley are all coached by Jim Schwartz (apart from Finnegan, who was developed by Schwartz). We've all seen he's not the most mature of NFL coaches after the 49ers game. And I don't think that players are completely different on and off the field. Lawrence Taylor wasn't and what a surprise it seems Brandon Meriweather was also arrested.

Thats hilarious.

Finnegan was done for incident after Schwartz had left the Titans. But he was always a physical player pre, during and post Jim Schwartz.

As for Suh he was dirty in college. Fairley and Leshoure were most likely weed smokers and drinkers in college like every other student athlete. Their attitudes towards smoking weed would double now they are making money and in the pros and believe they are above the law. Making stupid decisions is hardly the fault of a head coach who only deals with their on field activities.

Huge difference between controlling players attitudes on the field and the stupid decisions they make in their personal lives. The term player from the ghetto and not the ghetto from the player etc etc comes to mind with these guys.

Edit: As for Merriweather that dude was a clown in college and the Pats took a shot on him and he still did stupid things with the Pats. Does that make it Belichicks fault also? No surprises a guy like Merriweather got in trouble again regardless of who his coach is.

Edit: As for Merriweather that dude was a clown in college and the Pats took a shot on him and he still did stupid things with the Pats. Does that make it Belichicks fault also? No surprises a guy like Merriweather got in trouble again regardless of who his coach is.

I don't feel like an argument right now but the point I was making here is that there is a correlation between on and off the field attitudes, nothing about BB. And I think we can agree the Lions organisation has to deal with this stuff better, and Jim Schwartz is a big part of the Lions organisation.

I don't feel like an argument right now but the point I was making here is that there is a correlation between on and off the field attitudes, nothing about BB. And I think we can agree the Lions organisation has to deal with this stuff better, and Jim Schwartz is a big part of the Lions organisation.

I agree NFL teams need to do more with these guys but the problem for Schwartz and any other NFL coach is that if there are no rules to back them up and they go to suspend a player the NFLPA will be down on them in seconds. These are not college players. Coaches dont hold the same weight when it comes to suspending players or kicking them off the team. NFL players are employees and all Schwartz or any coach can do is give his feelings to his boss. If the team don't want to do anything about it or ignore who is Schwartz to say anything different in the grand scheme of things. Now if the player fooks up on the field then Schwartz can do something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I wouldn't say it's Schwartz fault - that implies that these guys were all perfectly normal law-abiding citizens and clean clean players who also played fair until they started being coached by Schwartz. These lads all had issues before Schwartz and unless they sort themselves out they will continue to have problems no matter who there coach is. What it does tell us is that Schwartz and Lions don't really care about on/off-field character concerns.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

HigginsJ wrote: »

Ha ha, love the comments ..

Comment is abusive and has been removed.

Comment is abusive and has been removed.

etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

I wouldn't say it's Schwartz fault - that implies that these guys were all perfectly normal law-abiding citizens and clean clean players who also played fair until they started being coached by Schwartz. These lads all had issues before Schwartz and unless they sort themselves out they will continue to have problems no matter who there coach is. What it does tell us is that Schwartz and Lions don't really care about on/off-field character concerns.
    Well I think that might have changed with this years draft.
    They went with a lot of high charachter players & stayed away from the ones with red flags on them, like Jenkins & Adams even though they found themselves in positions to draft them without necessarily reaching and had needs at those positions (OT & CB).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

100 days and counting till season kick off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Dolphins have signed up for Hard Knocks. Should be good.

Ugh, what a boring team. On hard knocks the year after they lose Marshall and Taylor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Ugh, what a boring team. On hard knocks the year after they lose Marshall and Taylor.

Brand new coaching staff,, rookie quarterback in a battle to be starter, Richie Incognito, Reggie Bush and of course Lauren Tannehill. Plenty of interesting topics.

Plus, it's fúcking HBO. They constantly produce pure brilliance, show some respect.

Brand new coaching staff,, rookie quarterback in a battle to be starter, Richie Incognito, Reggie Bush and of course Lauren Tannehill. Plenty of interesting topics.

Plus, it's fúcking HBO. They constantly produce pure brilliance, show some respect.

I'll be watching it anyway because it's the hard knocks, but I would really rather it was nearly any other team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Yea cant wait for it.

Moore v Garrard v Tannehill

• Advertisement

When does the first episode of this usually get shown and is it one a week or what way do they do it? I've only ever watched them in bulk long after they've been first shown.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement