Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

CoachTO wrote: »
    But that same public are stupid enough to pay $40+ to go watch the team in said stadium. And the People paying for Stadiums isn't exclusive to the US. At least it was put to some sort of debate. Croke Park anyone. Our Government handed over that 60m without even a discussion. Happens in alot of sports and countries around the world.

Absolutely agree the back-handed funding goes on to an almost universal degree, but US sports teams use relocation as a nuclear option to get what they want, you're not going to see Leinster Rugby or Galway GAA relocate because the government doesn't give them a grant to pay for a new stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Syferus wrote: »
    Absolutely agree the back-handed funding goes on to an almost universal degree, but US sports teams use relocation as a nuclear option to get what they want, you're not going to see Leinster Rugby or Galway GAA relocate because the government doesn't give them a grant to pay for a new stadium.

You can hardly compare Leinster Rugby or Galway GAA relocating and that of a US team though. Each state in the US is like a mini government with enough idiots to go about so why wouldn't a team move if they could get the new stadium off a another local government? Leinster move from Dublin to Meath they are still dealing with the same people overall.

I guarantee you if we had a country the same size as the US with every state having its own government you would see the same things. At the end of it all the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA are businesses and their teams are worth a fortune and they are there to make money and it it means blagging their way to getting a new stadium built for them why wouldn't they.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

This remains the most disgusting aspect of US sports, holding the public (because in the end that is who is paying) hostage for new stadiums. It's millionaires putting a gun to the head of the lower classes.

It's already been mentioned on this thread the difference that an NFL team makes to a city over there. There's also arguments to be made about the economic benefits a team brings to an area.

In this case the politicians were stupid because the team would have left had they not changed their minds, giving them no chance of reelection in the coming elections. They wanted both the team to stay and no stadium to be built, which basically meant the Vikings staying in the current Metrodome. That just showed a complete lack of understanding for the current NFL and the money making machine that matchday has become. The Vikings were/are losing money in the metrodome, and that was never going to continue.

The people you feel sorry for is those with no interest in sports, who are contributing for a third stadium in recent years. So you're right in a way, it's tough on them. Had the Vikings stadium been first built and the Twins/Gophers after, then something might have given and they could have lost one of them (or no stadium in the case of the Gophers). But with this up for debate last, the popularity of the NFL won out in the end.

In other news, Peterson said he should be ready for week one. Good all round

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Phil Taylor with suspected torn pec :(

Was really looking forward to his 2nd season. He had a very good rookie campaign. Gutted

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    It's already been mentioned on this thread the difference that an NFL team makes to a city over there. There's also arguments to be made about the economic benefits a team brings to an area.

Just to add to this (if it hasn't already been mentioned previously), I would highly recommend reading a Business Review study from 2004 called "Should Cities Be Ready for Some Football?" by Gerald A. Carlino and N. Edward Coulson. They talk about the direct economic effects that having an NFL team has for a city, such as the huge property tax boosts for the surrounding area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Da'Quan Bowers has torn his achilles, faces a lengthy spell on the sideline too. I reckon that Phil Taylor injury is quite severe also, it could be a while before he comes back.

Also Vince Young signed with the Bills.

Redskins have shown off their throwback for this year based on the 1937 jersey:

redskins-anniversary.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

That's a lovely uniform

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7916909/alex-smith-says-no-rust-randy-moss-first-san-francisco-49ers-workouts
    "It's tough to tell that he missed a year of football. I certainly don't see any rust," Smith said. "He's running well, catching well. No surprise, he's a pro and already has a good understanding of the playbook."

"He still looks the same. He never, ever since he's been playing football has looked like he's been running fast," said Whitner, who used to match up twice a year with Moss while playing for Buffalo. "But he's a long strider, and when you actually run against him, he's really running really fast. He's running the same as he's always run. His body looks like a younger Randy Moss, so I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do on the football field."

Really hope Randy has an amazing year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The length of the off-season is unbelievable. As a long time soccer fan and new NFL fan, I find it very hard to adjust to the length of time that NFL has for its off-season. Still another four months until kick-off :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Paully D wrote: »
    The length of the off-season is unbelievable. As a long time soccer fan and new NFL fan, I find it very hard to adjust to the length of time that NFL has for its off-season. Still another four months until kick-off :mad:

The weekend after the Super Bowl is such a come down.... you have the fortnight before the game getting really hyped up after the season and then the whole madness of the game... and it's brilliant when it lasts

then you realise you have 8 months to kill waiting for another game... it's horrible... what makes it worse again is the college season running parallel to the NFL.... you don't even get the few weeks of college ball to keep interest.... :( god I wish college ball could be at the time it is and then as that finishes up have the NFL to tune into....

Come join us in the Baseball forum :)

Good few posters from AF forum over there

I'd be alot less interested in the NFL if the season was much longer. For one, it means every game usually has real importance and secondly it means the season doesn't clash with the GAA inter-county season, the Six Nations or the business ends of the European Cups. It's absolutely perfect as is.

I'd hate to see the extra injuries that'd occur if the season ever was extended to 18 games, the sport wears down players enough as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I'd be alot less interested in the NFL if the season was much longer. For one, it means every game usually has real importance and secondly it means the season doesn't clash with the GAA inter-county season, the Six Nations or the business ends of the European Cups. It's absolutely perfect as is.

I'd hate to see the extra injuries that'd occur if the season ever was extended to 18 games, the sport wears down players enough as it is.

well we'll have summer football next year

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/usfl-relaunching-next-march-hall-of-fame-receiver-fred-biletnikoff-involved/2012/05/10/gIQAR6jFGU_story.html

They're both absolutely ****e though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

They're both absolutely ****e though :pac:
    Yes because you don't enjoy them they're ****!

Good man :rolleyes:

Nothing will ever equal my connection to my county. I imagine it's some fraction of the feeling I have towards my county that supporters of a college football team feel. It's that level of passion coupled with the fact you're born to a county because of it who you support is written into your blood.

American football is a fantastic sport, but nothing, nothing, in sport would be more exciting, more primal, more fulfilling to me than my county winning an All-Ireland. Seven days ago I watched my county be two points up with nine minutes remaining in the All-Ireland u-21 final with a crowd of thousands of people I've lived beside, known, flowed through life with and even though we lost I could almost touch the feeling of absolute elation, of pride in not just a team, but in a people.

It's the sort of passion that no other sport can manufacture.

How do you all see Upshaw doing with the Ravens then? He'll be thrown in straight away due to Suggs' injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

It's hard to tell. I think he's a great prospect and when I saw him being described by the Ravens as a 'junkyard dog' player I couldn't wait to see him play. You then throw in the added pressure of filling in for Suggs and it's gets even more complicated. I think he'll do well however.

Home field advantage rankings:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Home-field-advantage-rankings.html
    With the NFL entering its annual breaking news lull now that free agency and the draft are well behind us, I figured now would be a good time to open up the floor to one of the many debates we’ll be featuring this summer.

Today’s topic focuses on home field advantage. Our sample size is a three-year span from 2009-2011 and includes only the regular season.

I’ve devised a rudimentary formula for these rankings that consists of both home field record and ATS (against the spread) record. The team that posted the best home field record since 2009 is awarded one point, while the organization with the worst record is awarded 32 points, and so on. If two teams had the same record and occupied spots No. 4 and No. 5 in the rankings, the difference was split and both teams were awarded 4.5 points. As I’m sure you could have already guessed, the goal is to have the fewest total points between the two categories.

ATS record is included because I feel it provides an accurate assessment of how well a team plays at home against inferior competition. Think about it: how much value would you assign a Ravens win in Baltimore over a team like St. Louis? Probably not all that much. But if the Ravens failed to cover the Vegas number, that would serve as an indicator that maybe it's not as tough to play in Baltimore as the team's 21-3 straight-up home record since 2009 indicates.

As a tiebreaker, I gave the edge to the team that was more often posted as the Vegas favorite. For example, Dallas and Philadelphia both finished with a total of 42 points, but the Cowboys were favored in 22 home games while the Eagles were favored in 20. If the rankings needed to go one step further (as in the case of Detroit and Jacksonville), the team with the best ATS record prevailed.

As always, your feedback is more than welcome in comments section below.

Note: “ATS HOME FAV” indicates the number of times a home team was posted as the Vegas favorite since 2009.

hfr.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

Seems a bit odd that home-field advantage should be judged by how much you've beaten the spread at home. Surely the second measurement should have been something like "strength of schedule", as that's what they're trying to measure anyway. Putting far too much credence into Vegas betting lines here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

From Schefter
    Stat of the month: Jets HC Rex Ryan has lost 90 - 90! - pounds this off-season. Props.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

From Schefter

Bloody hell. Fair play. Can't be easy for a man who clearly likes his food.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Jesus, that's some difference!

Well done that man
    I know it's not the best of pics but the difference in his face is remarkable

People in high stress jobs often pile on the weight and it's dangerous, look at Wade Philips
    He's taking better care of himself these days, lost 40 lbs last year

Eric Mangini is another one
    Can't find a pic but he does work on NFL Network these days and shed a power of weight since he's left coaching

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Despite a tough schedule and almost certs to be last in our division once more. I pretty confident i can look forward to seeing some points on the board.

I expect a breakout season from Greg Little and i am so looking forward to seeing this guy

120511-trent-richardson-lp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Tony Sparano has also lost a load of weight if I'm not mistaken. From the sounds of things, he's loaned it all out to Joe McKnight!

Tony Sparano has also lost a load of weight if I'm not mistaken. From the sounds of things, he's loaned it all out to Joe McKnight!

I thought he was shot dead in a cafe back in 2007? :confused:

• Advertisement

I thought he was shot dead in a cafe back in 2007? :confused:
    Yeah and Journey made their big jump back on to the music scene:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement