Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Got told today that peyton isn't a good qb let alone an elite one!!
    That the broncos sucked before him and will suck with him oh and that a qb doesn make a team.

I had to laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'll discuss New England's defense when you tell me what team has the best win/loss record in football over the last two/three/four/five seasons.

Why are you and others being so petty?

Clearly New Englands defence is quite poor and has been for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Why are you and others being so petty?

Clearly New Englands defence is quite poor and has been for a while.

Wait, what? Petty?

A bad defence was used as an argument that BB has slipped as a coach in the last few years. How is bringing up the Pats record in those years petty?

Oh and look through this forum, most Pats fans have said that we need a better D.

And its a valid point that Bill has done a poor job addressing the defence.

So I dont see the point in anyone saying im not discussing something with you unless you answer me something that I already know the answer too.

This year in the playoffs Baltimore should of beaten the Pats and the Giants did.

Clearly they need to improve and does that fall on Bills shoulders?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

So I dont see the point in anyone saying im not discussing something with you unless you answer me something that I already know the answer too.

This year in the playoffs Baltimore should of beaten the Pats and the Giants did.

yes it does but the superbowls and consistent excellence are on him as well the system bb has put in place is why the pats are so good they lost tom brady and still had a very good season look at what happened the colts when payton went thats on bb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Of course it does but he also gets a lot of credit for our recent record. This is my argument:
    Masked Man wrote: »
    With any team, BB has a higher chance of winning a SB than Tom Coughlin as well as a higher chance of winning multiple SBs over the next decade.

Change Tom Coughlin to any coach.

I fail to see how that shouldn't be the measurement of a coach.

And I still don't see how its "petty" to mention our record as a counter to the defence argument.

Your point above is exactly why some people believe BB has slipped because they won them super bowls with pretty much the same team.

Of course they have has amazing and bad teams since.

I think he is the best but clearly some of you have your tinted glasses on, saying no one even comes close to him, that gap clearly has closed in but there still is a gap.

Your point above is exactly why some people believe BB has slipped because they won them super bowls with pretty much the same team.

I think he is the best but clearly some of you have your tinted glasses on, saying no one even comes close to him, that gap clearly has closed in but there still is a gap.

i hardly have tinted glasses im an eagles fan

if hes the best and there is a gap i dont understand why your arguing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Which Patriots team do you think has been bad since the last Super Bowl win? :confused:

Im not argugung with anyone???

All I said was above there is no need to be smart asking someone to answer a stupid question that you know the answer to already.

On BB all I said was people still think he is miles better then anyone, clearly thats not the case and the gap is closing.

On their defence I said was does their problems not reflect on BB as a coach?
    I also never said you have tinted glasses on.

On there poor team, I did mean by your own high standards.
    I think the 08 and 09 teams where not good enough.

The current team without the emergence of Gronk would of struggled too.

06 team not the best either?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,517 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Im not argugung with anyone???

All I said was above there is no need to be smart asking someone to answer a stupid question that you know the answer to already.

On BB all I said was people still think he is miles better then anyone, clearly thats not the case and the gap is closing.

On their defence I said was does their problems not reflect on BB as a coach?

I also never said you have tinted glasses on.
    The point about the record is that we have the best record over the last two/three/four/five seasons. You say the gap is closing but the results don't suggest that.
    People are suggesting he has lost it a bit but if we have the best results over the last five years and over the last two years then where is this stuff coming from.

Personally I do see better coaches in the league. I really think Mick McCarthy is a class act. You got Sean Payton but he is currently suspended for a season. Those two are pretty special. Coughlin is also an excellent coach. There is still a gap though, and Belichick is leading the way not only in results but also in his thinking and creativity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Yes he did.

Should have to Ravens but didn't we got lucky but it the scoreline is what matters. Giants were the better team

Of course our defense needs to improve and of course its falls on his shoulders as Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator. But as head coach he made up for it by getting to the bowl when everyone wrote off the Pats because of that defense. Sure the Pats didn't win it in the end and the problems became more evident and in this years draft he hopefully fixed that.

His overall record does have to come into the equation though because as bad as the Defense was the team won games. To say it affects his overall reputation as head coach is stupid.

This whole argument is stupid though comparing both coaches to each other. Who gives a fook. Coughlin has done an excellent job with the Giants in the post season and in my eyes there is good and bad arguments for comparing them. For me right now the two of them are in the same category of "Fúcking Excellent Coaches" which one is better than the other for me is irrelevant even as a Pats fan.

Even Coughlin has struggled at times. 1 playoff appearance in 3 seasons between bowls something a lot of people seem to be over looking. Proof that nether of them are flawless.

To end I will say as a Pats fan I tend not to live in BB arse like most people. He is only human and has made many mistake but what coach hasn't? Does his mistakes tar him in my eyes? No it doesn't.

Why do people forever leverage players against coaches by saying had it not been for this guy and that guy they would have flopped blah blah blah. Ask yourself who brought these players in? Giants would tanked without Manning but I don't see anyone bringing that up. Its a stupid argument to bring to the table.

I think the 08 and 09 teams where not good enough.

06 team not the best either?

The 2008 team that lost it's starting Quarterback in the season opener and still went 11-5 with a Quarterback who hadn't started a game since high school?

The 2006 team that went 12-4 and got to the AFC Championship game only to lose a shootout with the eventual Super Bowl champions? The same 2006 team who were the 6th best defence in the NFL that year and the 7th highest scoring offence?

They were bad teams? What does that say for the rest of the NFL then, seriously? :confused:

And what's this about "without the emergence of Gronk"...? Why the hell should you exclude Gronk, is he not part of our team and is he not someone scouted and drafted by Bill Belichick?

Jamarcus, I clearly said I didnt mean bad, I meant not up to the standard of the Pats, when Bill won his Superbowls.

CoachTo, I wasnt doing the usual oooo If Bill hadnt got Brady he be a crap coach, of course not.
    What I was saying was that the team has holes in its defence and because of Gronk and Welker it helped the defence by keeping the offence on the field.

Im not excluding Gronk, what im saying is one player covered up the cracks.

That is why I think the 16-0 is the best ever.

Pats defence spent huge amount of time on the field because of the Brady Moss connection

Im not excluding Gronk, what im saying is one player covered up the cracks.

Gronk covered up the cracks in a year where Tom Brady broke Dan Marino's passing yards record and Wes Welker had 1,500 yards?

Will you please read what I just wrote.

I said Gronk and Welker receptions helped to keep their defence off the field and also allowed Brady the quick release.

This helped what we all agree is a week defence for the Pats.

I never said anything wrong with Brady, Welker or Gronk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I'll discuss New England's defense when you tell me what team has the best win/loss record in football over the last two/three/four/five seasons.

Patriots.

Now, what's going on with NE's Defense. Why has their Defensive Guru - Belichick - allowed the defense to slip so badly?

Just an excerpt from an article, bit surprised at the timing of this.
    After three years on the job, Brian Xanders is done as the general manager of the Denver Broncos.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/07/brian-xanders-out-as-broncos-general-manager/

davyjose wrote: »
    Patriots.

Now, what's going on with NE's Defense. Why has their Defensive Guru - Belichick - allowed the defense to slip so badly?
    I think he has admitted that he has been caught out by how much offenses have spread out over the last two seasons. He explained at an interview that the defense spent over 50% of snaps in nickel and dime formations. We haven't had the corners to be solid when you do that and we have lacked a pass rush to prevent it from happening so often. He certainly has worked on changing things around. The loss of Leigh Bodden certainly hurt us the year before last and then the injury to Ras I Dowling last year was a disaster too.

Up front the pass rush was not good enough and that has been addressed in this draft. The Safety position has also been addressed. Belichick doesn't like to do things through Free Agency, preferring to work the draft to improve his team for the most part. Its a more sensible long term approach because when you do find the right players you have them for a couple of years. If they bust its doesn't cost as much.

I think he will get it right on D either this year or next and then we will win another Superbowl or two or three depending on how long he can hold onto these players.

• Advertisement

I think he has admitted that he has been caught out by how much offenses have spread out over the last two seasons. He explained at an interview that the defense spent over 50% of snaps in nickel and dime formations. We haven't had the corners to be solid when you do that and we have lacked a pass rush to prevent it from happening so often. He certainly has worked on changing things around. The loss of Leigh Bodden certainly hurt us the year before last and then the injury to Ras I Dowling last year was a disaster too.

Up front the pass rush was not good enough and that has been addressed in this draft. The Safety position has also been addressed. Belichick doesn't like to do things through Free Agency, preferring to work the draft to improve his team for the most part. Its a more sensible long term approach because when you do find the right players you have them for a couple of years. If they bust its doesn't cost as much.

I think he will get it right on D either this year or next and then we will win another Superbowl or two or three depending on how long he can hold onto these players.

Yeah I think he will too. I'm surprised it got this bad though. Look, the guy is a genius, no doubt about it. He is the mastermind of everything the Pats do, but maybe he's got so much going on he took his eye off the ball a little on D. Who knows? It certainly wouldn't detract from an incredible 12 years. But it's surprising considering how tactfully brilliant his D's have been in the past.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Not a Pats fan but stop Trolling.

Thats a stupid fúcking question and you know it.

Thats not a question EE or anyone other then BB can asnwer.

Jog on buddy, adults are having a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

davyjose wrote: »
    Yeah I think he will too. I'm surprised it got this bad though. Look, the guy is a genius, no doubt about it. He is the mastermind of everything the Pats do, but maybe he's got so much going on he took his eye off the ball a little on D. Who knows? It certainly wouldn't detract from an incredible 12 years. But it's surprising considering how tactfully brilliant his D's have been in the past.

Maybe Belichick did take his eye of the ball regarding the defence, but having a formidable offence probably didn't help matters. He built his Patriot reign on defensive strength and now with McDaniels back in the fold, he will have more time to focus on the defence. Offseason moves have clearly shown the defence is the clear priority now. Which is reassuring for us Pats fans and probably a bit worrying for everyone else.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Surprised there is no mention of Ryan Leaf on here yet? Pleaded guilty to stealing painkillers adn is to go to a secure drug rehab for 9 months. If ever there was a story to be done on the biggest bust in NFL history, he is without doubt, the main one to do it about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

bruschi wrote: »
    Surprised there is no mention of Ryan Leaf on here yet? Pleaded guilty to stealing painkillers adn is to go to a secure drug rehab for 9 months. If ever there was a story to be done on the biggest bust in NFL history, he is without doubt, the main one to do it about.

Parallels with Mandarich. Hope the guy can find some peace and sort out his problems.

russel and leaf where bad but to me Mandarich was the worst simply because the quality of the rest of the top 5 that year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Looks like the stupid politicians have finally taken heed of the threats and the Vikings may just be getting their new stadium. It's costing the Vikes a little more than I would've liked, but it wont matter as long as Zygi is still winning to invest in the team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Looks like the stupid politicians have finally taken heed of the threats and the Vikings may just be getting their new stadium. It's costing the Vikes a little more than I would've liked, but it wont matter as long as Zygi is still winning to invest in the team

This remains the most disgusting aspect of US sports, holding the public (because in the end that is who is paying) hostage for new stadiums. It's millionaires putting a gun to the head of the lower classes.

• Advertisement

Syferus wrote: »
    This remains the most disgusting aspect of US sports, holding the public (because in the end that is who is paying) hostage for new stadiums. It's millionaires putting a gun to the head of the lower classes.

But that same public are stupid enough to pay $40+ to go watch the team in said stadium. And the People paying for Stadiums isn't exclusive to the US. At least it was put to some sort of debate. Croke Park anyone. Our Government handed over that 60m without even a discussion. Happens in alot of sports and countries around the world.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement