Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Whatever the 30 day rule is there for, when it was brought on you could never imagine the scale to which Christmas FM has grown. 18 frequencies nationwide is immense and shows what a juggernaut the station has become. If anything, the rule should be examined in this context because it’s clear there is merit in extending it by 5 days more given the circumstances. Christmas FM is in a world of its own in the realm of temporary stations.

I don’t know if anyone from the station reads this thread, but thanks to each and everyone of you for another incredibly successful year. This year it was different but it was a ray of sunshine in a very bleak festive period. A special mention for their new frequency in North Cork which has made listening on the move possible across a large swathe of Munster. Looking forward to another big year in 2021. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Slight overrun methinks, suspect the official closing song was meant to be 'we need a little Christmas'

I love the book end symmetrical approach employed most years and it always brings me straight back to launch day and I end up getting it right in the feels that its gone so fast.

Listened more this year than any other, to the extent I didn't listen to any of my playlists anywhere else, and started listening in online as soon as the presenters started earlier than the fm launch, but still feel it went too fast... then again isn't everything.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

marno21 wrote: »
    Whatever the 30 day rule is there for, when it was brought on you could never imagine the scale to which Christmas FM has grown. 18 frequencies nationwide is immense and shows what a juggernaut the station has become. If anything, the rule should be examined in this context because it’s clear there is merit in extending it by 5 days more given the circumstances. Christmas FM is in a world of its own in the realm of temporary stations.

I don’t know if anyone from the station reads this thread, but thanks to each and everyone of you for another incredibly successful year. This year it was different but it was a ray of sunshine in a very bleak festive period. A special mention for their new frequency in North Cork which has made listening on the move possible across a large swathe of Munster. Looking forward to another big year in 2021. :)

I was on the road a bit the last few days and I found the frequency changed smoothly between 105.2, 99.4 and 104.2!

I was guessing who I heard yesterday morning before Adrian Nolan - Karl Dawson. Having had a look at their schedule, I think it was Shay Harford!

This morning, just after 11am, I heard Anne-Marie Walsh presenting on Christmas FM. I'm not sure if she had actually presented on it before - I knew that she was involved behind the scenes. I know her from alternative online and sometimes temporary licensed station 8Radio.com (heard her in both scenarios). Later this afternoon. I heard what I guessed was Karl Tsignidos. Looking at the schedule, it seems I was right!

I heard some of the Christmas Countdown this evening with John Hickson - someone I had not heard before. I looked him up. It seems he started on hospital and community radio in 2008 and is also a presenter on Spirit Radio. He sounded very professional to me.

I heard Walter Hegarty, one of the "gang of 4" (to use his words!), signing off and thanking people. He said that to enable people to broadcast from home this year, with the pandemic situation, a lot of software and hardware had to be updated and people had to be retrained. These are things you would not realize. So, a lot more work went into it this year than would be normal. It probably also enabled some presenters to take part remotely that could not have otherwise for logistics reasons in any other year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

DvB wrote: »
    Listened more this year than any other, to the extent I didn't listen to any of my playlists anywhere else, and started listening in online as soon as the presenters started earlier than the fm launch, but still feel it went too fast... then again isn't everything.

Me too! I think I only used my Spotify Christmas playlist twice! It certainly helped that I've been working from home so was able to have the radio on as much as possible without someone moaning to turn it down.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just got into the car and the default station is ChristmasFM. Nothing but static. Gut punch :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Get Alexa in your car or use online on phone, if you have Bluetooth connectivity then sorted...

Loughc wrote: »
    Just got into the car and the default station is ChristmasFM. Nothing but static. Gut punch :(

Mines the same. Popping out later so will need to change back to newstalk now....
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Same. First time in car since Christmas Eve, took a few secs to realise why nothing was playing and then hit me :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just listening to ChristmasFM while doing the wash up a and they had a thank you to the people who have been tuned into ChristmasFM since Nov 1st and I can’t help but think that was directed at us :D

Just listening to ChristmasFM while doing the wash up a and they had a thank you to the people who have been tuned into ChristmasFM since Nov 1st and I can’t help but think that was directed at us :D

Defo. They have to be aware of us in here at this stage.

• Advertisement

Been up on my PC organizing some stuff & had Christmas FM on in the background which is a new development for me as I normally don't bother listening in after the FM broadcast stops. Been nice to listen along again though. May stick it back on for NYE as well, then bid it farewell for the next 11 months.

The last live show on ChristmasFM starts on new year Eve at 10pm and runs until 1am.

After that it’s back to continuous classics playlist.

The last live show on ChristmasFM starts on new year Eve at 10pm and runs until 1am.

After that it’s back to continuous classics playlist.

Nice one. That'll be our NYE backdrop so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I need to retune my car radio presets and it makes me sad. Hate when it’s gone

I've left it as a favourite in the car radio presets, but just moved onto FM104 for now so we have music when in the car. Will change it to my standard selection of newstalk when heading in to work on the 4th. Thats all I'll listen to on my way in and home from work until Christmas FM comes back in November.

ChristmasFM stays as number 10 on my presets all year round. It’s out of the way most of the year but still easy to access come November.

Until the second last week of November, there were dance pirates on 105.2 in Dublin! Earlier on: Co. Meath-based RetroNow and than a reoccurring unidentified hard dance station! Earlier in the year, up until the summertime, easy-listening pirate Easy Radio was on that frequency.

Last year, there were various temporary license stations on that frequency including Walk in My Shoes and 8Radio.com

So, what I am saying is that anything is possible in 2021!

For anyone looking for Christmas music on FM, Lyric FM are still playing some Christmas songs. I heard a lovely version of Fairytale of New York this morning, and they also played the 12 days of Christmas twice today :D

Until the second last week of November, there were dance pirates on 105.2 in Dublin! Earlier on: Co. Meath-based RetroNow and than a reoccurring unidentified hard dance station! Earlier in the year, up until the summertime, easy-listening pirate Easy Radio was on that frequency.

Last year, there were various temporary license stations on that frequency including Walk in My Shoes and 8Radio.com

So, what I am saying is that anything is possible in 2021!

TBH, until Christmas FM launch day my radios won't go anywhere near 105.2.... for me thats reserved for the most wonderful time of the year!!!

DvB wrote: »
    TBH, until Christmas FM launch day my radios won't go anywhere near 105.2.... for me thats reserved for the most wonderful time of the year!!!

From October 31st 2006 to October 26th 2016, 105.2 in Dublin was exclusively the home of Phantom FM/TXFM, the former alternative rock licensee. There was a kind of symmetry when alternative-oriented 8Radio.com eventually used that frequency for a temporary license run. This is because 8Radio boss Simon Maher was the original founder of Phantom as a pirate and General Manager (until 2011) when it broadcast with its full license on 105.2!

I alluded in previous posts to the links between Christmas FM and 8Radio.Com, mainly behind the scenes. Although: Ann Marie Walsh and Dan McDermott (Christmas FM's Station Manager) did present on Christmas FM on at least one occasion each and 8Radio.com presenter Jennie Ridyard was a Christmas FM presenter. I could find only two links between Christmas FM and Phantom and that was Brian Daly and Jack Hyland, both behind the scenes with Christmas FM and both also connected to 8Radio.com.

Who knows what will happen with that frequency next year, but, as things stand, I would say it's very likely that Christmas FM will be back on 105.2 next year!

• Advertisement

From October 31st 2006 to October 26th 2016, 105.2 in Dublin was exclusively the home of Phantom FM/TXFM, the former alternative rock licensee. There was a kind of symmetry when alternative-oriented 8Radio.com eventually used that frequency for a temporary license run. This is because 8Radio boss Simon Maher was the original founder of Phantom as a pirate and General Manager (until 2011) when it broadcast with its full license on 105.2!

I alluded in previous posts to the links between Christmas FM and 8Radio.Com, mainly behind the scenes. Although: Ann Marie Walsh and Dan McDermott (Christmas FM's Station Manager) did present on Christmas FM on at least one occasion each and 8Radio.com presenter Jennie Ridyard was a Christmas FM presenter. I could find only two links between Christmas FM and Phantom and that was Brian Daly and Jack Hyland, both behind the scenes with Christmas FM and both also connected to 8Radio.com.

Who knows what will happen with that frequency next year, but, as things stand, I would say it's very likely that Christmas FM will be back on 105.2 next year!

Further to my previous post, one presenter from TXFM (but not on Phantom) did turn up as a presenter on Christmas FM. That was Esther Moore O'Donoghue, better known as an AA Roadwatch broadcaster on Today FM!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Further to my previous post, one presenter from TXFM (but not on Phantom) did turn up as a presenter on Christmas FM. That was Esther Moore O'Donoghue, better known as an AA Roadwatch broadcaster on Today FM!

Finally a presenter I have heard of!!

Ps. I suspect this is because of the distinctive name.

Funny, for all my listening only when the presenters start I rarely take much notice of the presenters themselves, none stood out for me as I enjoyed them all to be fair. Got a little weary of the morning show towards the end as it was very repetitive when driving to work, but other than that was all good.

Funny how there seemed to be a smaller playlist this year, there was far less songs I wasn't familiar with (that or I'm simply listening so much I'm used to them all now), and a lot less of the dodgy covers which was a fantastic change for me, the last few years have had far too many crap covers of classics & I didn't miss them one bit this year.

TRS30 wrote: »
    Finally a presenter I have heard of!!

Ps. I suspect this is because of the distinctive name.

One of the more well-known names nationwide that was on this year was Mike Maloney. I don't recall hearing him last year but he has been involved with a number of license runs now.

EDIT: I should also mention that Robbie Irwin, probably best known in recent years for RTE Sports, was on this year and last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

The app wont work for me. I've tried reinstalling it and it still won't. Any tips?

The app wont work for me. I've tried reinstalling it and it still won't. Any tips?

Is this on your mobile?

Yes on my phone

Yes on my phone

Are you sure its the most recent app?

Well I just reinstalled it today

• Advertisement

Also, is your phone software up to date?

Advertisement