Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I heard Christmas FM yesterday in Harry Cory's, a homeware shop, in Nutgrove Retail Park.

What retail outlets (shops, restaurants, gastropubs), and where, have you heard Christmas FM being played?

Smyth's Toys today in Fonthill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I heard Christmas FM yesterday in Harry Cory's, a homeware shop, in Nutgrove Retail Park.

What retail outlets (shops, restaurants, gastropubs), and where, have you heard Christmas FM being played?

Any more sightings or should that be hearings? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Any more sightings or should that be hearings? :)

I wish I was out and about to even try and listen out, haha!

I’d love to see a Christmas-specific JNLR, the week leading up to Christmas with Christmas FM included. It would be interesting how many people change from their usual stations over, and how long they listen for before the listener fatigue kicks in!

I heard the velvet voice of Brian Walsh yesterday afternoon and this morning. He has been busy on Christmas FM the last few weekends!

On a different note, has one particular Boards member got some automatic "thanks" setting for every post on this thread? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Suppsoe its Xmas FM related

Wizzard actually have some great tunes outside of 'IWICBCED'

For some reason I thought they only had the xmas song. Ron Wood is still alive too is another surprising find

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Suppsoe its Xmas FM related

Wizzard actually have some great tunes outside of 'IWICBCED'

For some reason I thought they only had the xmas song. Ron Wood is still alive too is another surprising find

Wizzard had a number of hits between the early and mid 1970s. See my Baby Jive is one of the better known of their other songs. Personally speaking, I am fed up of I Wish It Could be.. The only thing worse than hearing Wizzard performing it for the millionth time is hearing one of the covers of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Eamon_

Usually like listening each year but each time I've switched over there's been some awful stinkers on.

There really should be one of the well known xmas songs every 10-15 minutes.

:eek:
    Eamon_ wrote: »
    Usually like listening each year but each time I've switched over there's been some awful stinkers on.

There really should be one of the well known xmas songs every 10-15 minutes.

That's a matter of opinion. We all have our own personal favourites and sometimes it's good to hear something a bit different. There are a lot of "well known xmas songs" that I would switch off if I heard them! ...such as the aforementioned I wish it could be....! :eek:

Wizzard had a number of hits between the early and mid 1970s. See my Baby Jive is one of the better known of their other songs. Personally speaking, I am fed up of I Wish It Could be.. The only thing worse than hearing Wizzard performing it for the millionth time is hearing one of the covers of it.

'Angel fingers' is another great song

I'm surprised 'The Sweet (Sweet)' never made a Christmas song. They would of been prominent in the 70s/80s. Correct me if I'm wrong they could of made one

'Angel fingers' is another great song

I'm surprised 'The Sweet (Sweet)' never made a Christmas song. They would of been prominent in the 70s/80s. Correct me if I'm wrong they could of made one

I don't think they did - that would have been interesting. Unfortunately, Mud, one of their contemporaries in the '70s did, and we are lumbered with Lonely this Christmas every year! :(

• Advertisement

I don't think they did - that would have been interesting. Unfortunately, Mud, one of their contemporaries in the '70s did, and we are lumbered with Lonely this Christmas every year! :(

Learn something new every year always thought that song was by Elvis or Roy Orbison

That song represents Christmas 2020 very well

Learn something new every year always thought that song was by Elvis or Roy Orbison

That song represents Christmas 2020 very well

You've obviously never seen the video that is used for that song! You would know then!

You've obviously never seen the video that is used for that song! You would know then!

Watched it there and yep I see where my mix up came from

Another one for me is 'its Shakin' Stevens' not 'Cat Stevens'

Watched it there and yep I see where my mix up came from

Another one for me is 'its Shakin' Stevens' not 'Cat Stevens'

Two very different artistes! Shakin' Stevens' Merry Christmas Everyone is another song I could do without! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

Was listening along for a while tonight, some nice tunes played :)

I decided to tune in online while working at my desk and guess what? The song playing was Wizzard's I Wish It Could Be...! I said to myself I think it's near the end so I did not switch off. Next song up: Shankin' Stevens' Merry Christmas Everyone! I would swear that was done deliberately just to get their own back on me after my posts! :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I decided to tune in online while working at my desk and guess what? The song playing was Wizzard's I Wish It Could Be...! I said to myself I think it's near the end so I did not switch off. Next song up: Shankin' Stevens' Merry Christmas Everyone! I would swear that was done deliberately just to get their own back on me after my posts! :(

That and they are 2 of the best Christmas songs of all time.

I just tuned in again (with trepidation!). Every year I discover a few new songs on Christmas FM, some of them gems. The find for me so far this year was on when I tuned in: This is Christmas by The Goo Goo Dolls. Nice song. Daragh O'Sullivan, one of the principals, is co-presenting this afternoon, with Aisling.

I heard a great tune on Dublin City FM this evening that I would love to hear on Christmas FM: I Wish it Was Christmas Today by Julian Casablancas.

I really like the Goo Goo Dolls' song. Christmas Tree Farm is another huge favourite of mine, despite only being a year old.
    Can't beat a bit of Shakey though. What a year '84 was - Shakey and Band Aid.

However!!!! Anyone see the UK charts today? 23 Christmas songs in the Top 40. All of them from previous years I think.
    I don't like how the charts have gone over the last while but this Christmas has been the ultimate Christmas charts countdown. I just wish Top of the Pops was still on to do the countdown. :D

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    I really like the Goo Goo Dolls' song. Christmas Tree Farm is another huge favourite of mine, despite only being a year old.
    Can't beat a bit of Shakey though. What a year '84 was - Shakey and Band Aid.

However!!!! Anyone see the UK charts today? 23 Christmas songs in the Top 40. All of them from previous years I think.
    I don't like how the charts have gone over the last while but this Christmas has been the ultimate Christmas charts countdown. I just wish Top of the Pops was still on to do the countdown. :D

I agree with you 100% about the Goo Goo Dolls' song.

Shakin' Stevens' Merry Christmas Everyone was a hit in 1985, not 1984.

As regards old Christmas songs in the UK Charts, it's been like that for the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Have to admit my favourite new song last year was Taylor Swifts, Christmas tree farm, this year so far its Robbie Williams one, I've heard it a few times now & its really grown on me.

Not a huge fan of the shakin stevens one, wouldn't have it on a playlist for example, but if it comes on the radio or spotify etc. I'll happily listen to it as its undoubtedly a christmas classic.

IIRC Loughc has championed it previously, and I can see why its a popular tune.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    Have to admit my favourite new song last year was Taylor Swifts, Christmas tree farm, this year so far its Robbie Williams one, I've heard it a few times now & its really grown on me.

Not a huge fan of the shakin stevens one, wouldn't have it on a playlist for example, but if it comes on the radio or spotify etc. I'll happily listen to it as its undoubtedly a christmas classic.

IIRC Loughc has championed it previously, and I can see why its a popular tune.

I really like the Taylor Swift’s and Robbie Williams songs too.

I agree with you 100% about the Goo Goo Dolls' song.

Shakin' Stevens' Merry Christmas Everyone was a hit in 1985, not 1984.

As regards old Christmas songs in the UK Charts, it's been like that for the last few years.

Ah that's right. He postponed releasing it because of Band Aid, didn't he?
    I have to abmit I haven't followed the UK charts for years

Heroditas wrote: »
    Ah that's right. He postponed releasing it because of Band Aid, didn't he?
    I have to abmit I haven't followed the UK charts for years

In 1984, Band Aid kept Wham's Last Christmas off the top spot. Frankie Goes to Hollywood's The Power of Love had been at Number 1 just before Band Aid entered the charts at Number 1 and Wham entered at Number 2! Incidentally, the previous week FGTH had displaced Jim Diamond's I should Have Known Better from the Number 1 spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

In 1984, Band Aid kept Wham's Last Christmas off the top spot. Frankie Goes to Hollywood's The Power of Love had been at Number 1 just before Band Aid entered the charts at Number 1 and Wham entered at Number 2! Incidentally, the previous week FGTH had displaced Jim Diamond's I should Have Known Better from the Number 1 spot!

That is some list of songs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

DJs taking a break and we now have a Walmart christmas with some sort of pre-recorded American "Christmas around the world" show.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Is that it on fm?

Thought they were on Xmas day last year.

Is that it on fm?

Thought they were on Xmas day last year.

They have been live on Christmas Day for the past few years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

They have, which is great considering they are volunteers, to be fair!
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    DJs taking a break and we now have a Walmart christmas with some sort of pre-recorded American "Christmas around the world" show.
    Yep, they usually put on Christmas Across the Lands around Christmas Eve when the presenters take a well earned break. :)

Advertisement