Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Hard to believe we've only a couple of days of Christmas FM left for another year. Seems to go by so fast.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    Hard to believe we've only a couple of days of Christmas FM left for another year. Seems to go by so fast.

Yeah I was only thinking that myself a few days ago. It really flew in for them so I fired off a couple more donation texts to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Listening from the car in Dollymount while OH takes a christmas day dip.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Have it blaring here since 6.30am :)

Loughc wrote: »
    Yeah I was only thinking that myself a few days ago. It really flew in for them so I fired off a couple more donation texts to them.

Didn't text in this year but made a donation on donation day as it really was an inspired choice of charity partner.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

There were some live broadcasts today that I picked up this morning and later on in my travels: Gareth O'Connor, Lar Flynn (great deep booming voice!) and Niall Cassidy. Christmas Around the World was on tonight.

I heard a few live broadcasts today on FM. First, I heard a guy I can't shortly before he finished up around 9am: could it be Karl Dawson? I heard Adrian Nolan after him. Later on this afternoon, I heard Declan Ralph.

Cant believe this time tomorrow it'll be all over for another 11 months... seems to have gone by so fast this year. Even though I started listening in early this year when the presenters started online and listened more than any other year it feels like I didn't get enough this year. Always get a lump in the throat when the airwaves go quiet at 7pm on the 27th and strongly suspect that'll happen again tomorrow.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I’ll have to time the doggos evening walk for 6.40 tomorrow night so I can get the last few mins of the FM transmission when out on the walk.

Deffo lump in the throat moment.

Don’t forget the live presenters keep going online right up to 31st Dec.

Was it just me or was the signal even stronger this year the quality was very good this year.

I’ll have to time the doggos evening walk for 6.40 tomorrow night so I can get the last few mins of the FM transmission when out on the walk.

Deffo lump in the throat moment.

Don’t forget the live presenters keep going online right up to 31st Dec.

Was it just me or was the signal even stronger this year the quality was very good this year.

Lost it briefly in the car for a couple of seconds once or twice but other than that loud and clear every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Anyone heard any standout presenters or links this year? I was listening in the car on Christmas Eve and there was talk about Santa getting clearance to travel into Ireland (to relieve all the worries about COVID and travel bans for the kids). I was minding my niece and nephew while their parents were in work and it made it a bit more exciting for them!

I can’t remember who it was but the day of the toy show the lady presenting the online show between 11am and 1pm was AMAZING.

She was giving out top tips to make the most out of a Covid Christmas. Decoration tips and funny Christmas memories and not to mention the songs were great.

It was a real party atmosphere and really helped past the time putting up the tree.

For me and this goes for any radio link not just ChristmasFM the best radio link is the ones where the presenter just sounds like they’re having a chat with the audience and not reading from a script.

Anyone heard any standout presenters or links this year? I was listening in the car on Christmas Eve and there was talk about Santa getting clearance to travel into Ireland (to relieve all the worries about COVID and travel bans for the kids). I was minding my niece and nephew while their parents were in work and it made it a bit more exciting for them!

For me, it was Lar Flynn. He has a distinctive voice, and he did it effortlessly and in a conversational way.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

For me, it was Lar Flynn. He has a distinctive voice, and he did it effortlessly and in a conversational way.

I listened to him on the Halloween station and didn't love him, but that could have been down to him not always suiting the station style (when it was fairly upbeat and pop-y). Hearing him on Christmas FM is like hearing a completely different person. He's brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Just liken to the final countdown in the kitchen :(

Feels like it is ending too soon even though I know they only have the 30 days. Know I can listen online however not quite the same IMO.

Just a few more days please....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Last quarter hour! :(

Posy wrote: »
    Last quarter hour! :(

At least FONY is still no.1.... consistency in a world gone mad.

Fairytale of New York always more epic on ChristmasFM

At least FONY is still no.1.... consistency in a world gone mad.

Haha we’re all listening in now. Love it.

Haha we’re all listening in now. Love it.

Be rude not to!

• Advertisement

Ending with symmetry.... love it.

We need a little Christmas....

Ending as it started with we need a little Christmas. Very fitting and I love the bookend approach.

Or is it? White Christmas on now....

Or is it? White Christmas on now....

Still on FM or Alexa?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

They played White Christmas on FM, then just cut it off quite abruptly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

The static....

:-(
    :`-(

Posy wrote: »
    They played White Christmas on FM, then just cut it off quite abruptly.

Accidental overrun I imagine.

I know it’s not the same online/Alexa and not FM but if you can over the next few days tune in where you can. Some of the online presenters are new new and if they get good numbers it increases their chances to get bumped up to FM next year.

And the more Online listener numbers increases their chances of getting bigger online sponsorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Can't believe it's gone off the airwaves already
    Doesn't seem that ling ago when it launched on the Saturday. :(
    Even before it launched, I remember going for a walk in November during a particularly crappy day in work and listened to it online. Lifted my mood straight away.

Heroditas wrote: »
    I remember going for a walk in November during a particularly crappy day in work and listened to it online. Lifted my mood straight away.

Same. I was going to say the app still have presenters until Dec 31st but as most People are off work until Jan 4th a post work pickup won’t be needed and by the time it is needed they’ll be gone :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Good article about the founder and how it runs in todays Business Post.

Behind a paywall so here's a photo...

Advertisement