Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Loughc wrote: »
    Strangely there's been no presenter yet.... which makes me wonder how is this any different to the Online ChristmasFM stream which streams all year long?

Maybe they are holding back on most of the presenters until its official launch on FM.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Screenshot-20201105-120135.png
    Maybe they are holding back on most of the presenters until its official launch on FM.

Their Instagram post says its back with presenters from 12pm today. Other wise why make a big deal on it their stream never went away it was always on online all year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Never mind, the presenter is on just now!!! :D

Exciting!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Just put it on. Missed the start :(

First song, Wizzard..............I wish it could be Christmas every dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Never mind, the presenter is on just now!!! :D

Exciting!!!!

There's just something about hearing the songs on Christmas FM that makes it! I had to turn off the Christmas music channels on TV as it was too early, but I am bopping away at my WFH desk right now :)

• Advertisement

pigtail33 wrote: »
    There's just something about hearing the songs on Christmas FM that makes it! I had to turn off the Christmas music channels on TV as it was too early, but I am bopping away at my WFH desk right now :)

Absolutely!! The presenter makes it for me as well, otherwise I can pull together a playlist myself on Apple Music.

Okay, I have it on for the moment. Can't guarantee I will stick with it all the time!

The presenter sounds familiar, but I can't quite place him. Is that Karl Tsignidos that is presenting?

Garvan Rigby has just identified himself! Not sure if he was the same person I heard a few minutes ago.

The presenters might be just the management team while it's online only.

Garvan said that Dan is on next at 1pm. I presume that's Dan McDermott the station manager. He has been the station manager for a few years and I'm not aware of him presenting on Christmas FM before. If it is the same Dan, he is more associated (as a presenter) with alternative-leaning online station 8Radio.com. It will be interesting to see if he brings that slant into his selection.

It is Dan McDermott! Love that Grown Up Christmas List song by Natalie Cole and David Foster. Will turn it off now - don't want to really hear that particular Mariah Carey song - you know the one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

I love christmas fm but its too early for me, any word on the official launch day? Is it gonna be the Friday or the Saturday?

• Advertisement

I love christmas fm but its too early for me, any word on the official launch day? Is it gonna be the Friday or the Saturday?

FM Launch day is going to be the Saturday. I think that played a big part into launching online with presenters so early. They know people would have wanted ChristmasFM the day of the toy show.

FM Launch day is going to be the Saturday. I think that played a big part into launching online with presenters so early. They know people would have wanted ChristmasFM the day of the toy show.

That's right. Garvan said on air that it would be launched on FM on November 28th, which indeed is a Saturday.

I think I will hold off listening to it too much more myself before the FM launch. I was just curious to hear who was presenting at this point.

I think I will hold off listening to it too much more myself before the FM launch. I was just curious to hear who was presenting at this point.

Same, I'll think I'll leave it for quick pick me ups in the mornings and the night walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Same, I'll think I'll leave it for quick pick me ups in the mornings and the night walks.

Same. Listened in ther when I got back from a meeting & noticed they played a few of my favourites recently too, so will leave it to the odd listen until the launch in a couple of weeks.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Just one more song..... the waitresses just came on!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

pigtail33 wrote: »

Lol ! I found myself bopping too when they played Shakin Stevens !

I missed all the buzz earlier, but delighted to hear this is the big news! I won't be tuning in online for another while yet, maybe in another week or 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

otnomart wrote: »
    Lol ! I found myself bopping too when they played Shakin Stevens !

Me too but I had to grit my teeth with the Riptide Movement were played

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I was up the walls with work today, and haven't been able to listen yet... but there will be plenty of time in the next few days/weeks. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Woke up early and I didn't want to listen to the radio. Stuck this on the App instead :D

• Advertisement

I'm not complaining as I think this was an exceptional idea from ChristmasFM, but I have a feeling the presenter parts are pre-recorded and just slotted in between certain songs, which makes sense, they could pre-record them at home and pull together a playlist of it.

It's still aprreciated though, as that is no easy task and all done ni their free time as well.

I must admit I spent longer listening yesterday than I ever would have any other year, can definitely see myself popping in & out between now & the official live launch on the 28th, I need christmas more than ever but dont want to overdo it & dilute it to the point by the time it comes around its lost some of its lustre but the odd song cant hurt, can it?

Stuck it on again there now, first song i hear... 'Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas' by Bing Crosby.... talk about giving me a craving for the 28th!!!

3 short weeks!

Though in saying that, traditionally thats when my hectic spell starts & everything seems to go by in a blur until we finish work, every year I say I must do it differently, so thats reinforced my decision to let it start sinking in a few weeks earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Damit really wish the official launch was the Friday it goes so nicely with putting up the decorations and the toy show. Think I will just stick to Now Christmas or something like that on Friday and then maybe have a special launch Christmas breakfast the Saturday morning :D

Felt like I was cheating listening to Trance Xmas earlier so switched over to Christmas FM. It forgave me :P

Further to my previous posts about Christmas FM presenter connections with Spanish station Real FM, you can add Enda Caldwell, who is a former presenter with Christmas FM.

Further to my previous post about Christmas FM presenter connections with community radio stations, you can add Chris Maher. He is known for his championing of soul music and has indeed at times stuck on some more soul-oriented music into his Christmas FM playlist!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

DvB wrote: »
    Not sure tuning in on a Saturday for the launch will be quite as exciting as doing so from work! I just associate it with work lunchbreak (or if lucky enough, the car as I go to or from a site meeting):)

In fact if its a saturday lunchtime there's a decent enough chance I'd miss it completely what with Saturdays being so hectic for us generally :(

That could change if we're at level 4 or 5 of lockdown mind...:eek:

Well that was prescient!!!!
    Have you next week's lotto numbers please!

How many presenters do Christmas FM have?

TRS30 wrote: »
    How many presenters do Christmas FM have?

A lot! You have the regulars and the ones who crop up once or twice during its run each year. You will see a selection of them, plus their backroom staff, on their website. But quite a lot do not make the website. If you are thinking of my anorak posts, some of the people I mentioned are former Christmas FM presenters and there are some past and current presenters that appear in more than one list!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Just seen on Christmas fm Instagram they are working with the charity Alone this year
    I will probably be crying non stop listening to the stories

Advertisement