Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Is Tom Jones allowed this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Jude13 wrote: »
    Is Tom Jones allowed this year?

I don’t think I even want to ask!

Is this a cancelled culture issue??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

No, they emphatically said it was due to lack of requests. Christmas shoes and new releases that no one has heard of or knew were coming out seem to have gotten more requests. So I will keep requesting it hoping it goes back on the radio waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Ok - stupid Alexa just won’t listen! Have tried all combinations of asking her, but all I’m getting is classic Christmas fm, which is fine as I enjoy it but sometimes I’d like the choice 🙄

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ok - stupid Alexa just won’t listen! Have tried all combinations of asking her, but all I’m getting is classic Christmas fm, which is fine as I enjoy it but sometimes I’d like the choice 🙄

Ask Alexa to “Start Christmas Fm” that worked for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

I was in a shop the other day and I heard a fast pop type version of O Holy night. Not sure if it was Christmas fm but I'd love to find it to scandalise my family who's favourite song it is.

I was in a shop the other day and I heard a fast pop type version of O Holy night. Not sure if it was Christmas fm but I'd love to find it to scandalise my family who's favourite song it is.

I sang the solo bit when I was part of a choir so I've mixed feelings on finding this, I'm intrigued but also afraid :pac:

Loughc wrote: »
    Ask Alexa to “Start Christmas Fm” that worked for me.

Tried that, she just hates me

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I had a good listen to ChristmasFM last night and whoever was presenting between 5 & 7pm last night was on it loads, I love listenening to ChristmasFM with the live presenters, it just adds something more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,190 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Agree, there's something about the live presenters that really makes it, I never usually bother listening before the launch as the online version without the presenters seems a tad functional (for want of a better description) but having the presenters in place online before the FM launch has made a huge difference, hence listening in regularly now.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Usually I hate DJ's talking over songs and being generally annoying however Christmas FM is the opposite!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I was listening a while ago to Christmas FM. The presenter was Aine (presumably Aine O'Neill - had not heard her before). She played another of my favourites - The Little Drummer Boy by David Bowie and Bing Crosby. This was followed by a quite pleasant blue-tinged song: Merry Christmas Baby by Dion.

Here's another list!

There are Christmas FM presenters, past and present, who have had links to different parts of RTE - that would include Cork Local Radio, Millennium Radio and Raidio na Gaeltachta.

Stevie Bolger
    Mike Moloney
    Hugh O'Brien
    Gerry Wilson
    Electric Eddie
    Paul Scanlon
    Simon Young
    Noel McCaul (rip)
    Robbie Irwin
    Mark Byrne
    Lisa Gernon
    Niamh Ní Chróinín
    Keane Harley
    Gareth O'Connor
    Karl Tsignidos
    Gerry Healy

Here's yet another list! These are Christmas FM presenters, past and present, involved with Irish online only stations.
    Ollie Clarke
    Keith Shanley
    Mike Moloney
    *Dave Lyons
    Robbie Irwin
    Lisa Gernon
    Chris Barry
    Lynsey Dolan

*Dave Lyons is another former presenter with '80s superpirate Sunshine Radio. See my previous list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'm driven demented with alexa playing christmas fm classical instead of the main one. I've got the skill enabled and i know I should be able to play it on tuned in too on alexa but no success. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I'm driven demented with alexa playing christmas fm classical instead of the main one. I've got the skill enabled and i know I should be able to play it on tuned in too on alexa but no success. Any ideas?

I have a Google Home, and when playing Christmas FM, it says "Now playing Christmas FM Ireland". I'm not sure if Alexa streams from TuneIn too, but maybe try asking Alexa to play Christmas FM Ireland?

pigtail33 wrote: »
    I have a Google Home, and when playing Christmas FM, it says "Now playing Christmas FM Ireland". I'm not sure if Alexa streams from TuneIn too, but maybe try asking Alexa to play Christmas FM Ireland?

Tried that. Still telling me “playing Christmas fm classical” :mad: the speaker on my phone ain’t loud enough lol

Tried that. Still telling me “playing Christmas fm classical” :mad: the speaker on my phone ain’t loud enough lol

I got a cheap (€15) Bluetooth speaker to play my phone through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Is the website down for anyone else this morning? Can't get the player going for any of the stations.

Is the website down for anyone else this morning? Can't get the player going for any of the stations.

Working on the app and Alexa for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

https://youtu.be/crsRynmMNcs

Think I might have found it. It's not as terrible as I remember but still bad enough to upset those who will only listen to the purest soprano singing it.
    Hope I'm not offending anyone who thinks it's super.

I fixed Alexa!!! For those getting frustrated, go into Alexa app and select Christmas FM ireland from tunein

• Advertisement

Here is yet another radio anorak angle!

These are Christmas FM presenters, past and present, with connections to the largely music-based Irish commercial independent stations, i.e Century Radio or Radio Ireland/Today FM.

Hugh O'Brien
    Robbie Irwin
    Jon Troy
    Marty Miller
    Mark Byrne
    Enda Caldwell
    Karl Tsignidos
    Bernie Jameson

Loughc wrote: »

Interesting article. I find it fascinating that it was the first Christmas song at No. 1 in the Billboard Hot 100 for 60 years! How did they manage not to have some others during all that time?

I have to admit that I'm not a great fan of that song, but then again I'm not a great fan of most of her stuff anyway! It is kind of infectious. though, at Christmas parties, despite that! Did you know that Mariah has a number of Christmas songs? I wonder does Christmas FM play many of her other Christmas tunes. There is one I do like, which I first heard on a Top of The Pops Christmas Special: Oh Santa! - the exclamation is part of the name! I'm not sure, but I think I did hear it on Christmas FM on at least one occasion some years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,190 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Funnily enough my opinion of that song has changed over the years, I never really liked her stuff and was indifferent to it when it came out first and for a few years after. It then changed to actually disliking it to the extent id skip it on cd's and change channel if it came on the radio/tv. But I've mellowed to it over the last few years where I don't really mind it anymore. It will never make my Christmas top 10 but I can listen to it now and not be bothered by it.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Is my OH’s favorite Christmas song so hear it a lot every year. Wouldn’t be my thing however have learnt to like it and have even caught myself singing along the odd time!

Here is yet another radio anorak angle!

These are Christmas FM presenters, past and present, with connections to the largely music-based Irish commercial independent stations, i.e Century Radio or Radio Ireland/Today FM.

Hugh O'Brien
    Robbie Irwin
    Jon Troy
    Marty Miller
    Mark Byrne
    Enda Caldwell
    Karl Tsignidos
    Bernie Jameson

Noel Shannon can be added to that list!

Edit: as can Stephen Keogh!

I noticed that a number of Christmas FM presenters, past and present, have been involved with the Dublin easy listening station on 106.8 - called at various times Dublin's Country 106.8, Dublin's Country Mix 106.8 and Sunshine 106.8

They include:
    Keith Shanley
    Stevie Bolger
    Stephen Keogh
    Chris Barry
    Noel McCaul (rip)
    Mike Moloney
    Gerry Wilson
    Hugh O'Brien
    Mike Ryan
    Lynsey Dolan
    Also, Enda Caldwell did some voiceovers for the station.

I finally figured out what to say without any changes to Alexa and I don’t know why I didn’t think of it earlier.... ‘Alexa turn on Ireland’s Christmas fm’

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I've found saying "Alexa, play Christmas FM North Pole" works as well! I could only get Christmas FM classical until now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Is the 28th kick off on the radio?
    Even my oh-so-cool teenagers are looking forward to it :-)

Advertisement