Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    HalloweenFM goes Live next Thursday :)

How long does it run for? 9 or 10 days?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    How long does it run for? 9 or 10 days?

Is that a temporary temporary licence?? :D

TRS30 wrote: »
    Is that a temporary temporary licence?? :D

Short form of temporary licence ;)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    Short form of temporary licence ;)

AFAIK cause it's only online it doesn't require the same temporary licence as it isn't being broadcast on the airwaves.

AFAIK cause it's only online it doesn't require the same temporary licence as it isn't being broadcast on the airwaves.

Ah fair enough. I assumed it was actually being broadcast via radio airwaves as with christmas.

I actually didn't listen to it last year at all and being honest doubt I will this year either, other than having a bit of fun with the kids Halloween doesn't really do much for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Online stations only need a music copyright licence; and many people don't bother with that even. There's no restrictions on time, duration, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Learning more about radio in Ireland then I ever thought I would :)

TRS30 wrote: »
    Learning more about radio in Ireland then I ever thought I would :)

You & me both. Goes to show how much you can learn from simply liking Christmas & hanging around in here for a while!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Sure we're terribly educational here altogether. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

https://twitter.com/keithshanley/status/1317518647695388672?s=21

I agree we need Christmas more than ever.

• Advertisement

I agree we need Christmas more than ever.
    100%! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It was actually 12 years ago. This is the thirteenth year! He's not the first radio presenter to get that type of calculation wrong! Just saying!

Keith Shanley was the weekday presenter of Christmas FM for many years. I'm not sure when one of the bosses, Garv Rigby, started doing that slot.

Bit of trivia for you. Two of the principals behind Christmas FM were previously two of the principals behind Premier FM, which started as a pirate and then had three temporary license runs - Paul Shepard, aka Ray Jackson, and Walter Hegarty, aka Greg Townsend. Christmas FM's other two principals, Garv Rigby and Daragh O'Sullivan (used to call himself Steven Davitt), were both presenters for all three temporary license runs of Premier FM.

I don't think Christmas FM had much of an online presence when it launched on 2008 - it was basically a thirty days run in the areas where it could be picked up on FM. I stand corrected but I think it could only be picked up the first year in Dublin and the nearby commuter belt. The inclusion of other online musical station options (such as traditional hymns) was a very recent addition too - maybe three years ago.

Oh yes Declan we love a bit of trivia around here. Thank you for that post.

Oh yes Declan we love a bit of trivia around here. Thank you for that post.

Okay then - here's some more trivia for you!

Garv Rigby and Daragh O'Sullivan, aka Steven Davitt, were also presenters on all of the temporary license runs of Kevin Branigan's two stations Choice FM and 949 The Rock. That's two each, i.e. a total of four, in case you are wondering!

Even more trivia! Then I'll leave it!

A number of the early presenters on Christmas FM were veterans of the pirate scene over a number of decades, including Ray Jackson (Paul Shepard), Greg Townsend (Walter Hegarty) and, most particularly, Derek Jones.

Derek Jones was involved in the pirate scene from the early 1970s until the early 2000's. He then turned up on Beaumont Hospital Radio. Then, he presented on all three temporary license runs of Premier FM, followed by the first three runs of Christmas FM. Unbelievably, for the last three years (AFAIK), he has been a presenter on Dublin oldies pirate Retro FM!

A number of the early presenters on Christmas FM were veterans of the pirate scene over a number of decades, including Ray Jackson (Paul Shepard), Greg Townsend (Walter Hegarty) and, most particularly, Derek Jones.

Derek Jones was involved in the pirate scene from the early 1970s until the early 2000's. He then turned up on Beaumont Hospital Radio. Then, he presented on all three temporary license runs of Premier FM, followed by the first three runs of Christmas FM. Unbelievably, for the last three years (AFAIK), he has been a presenter on Dublin oldies pirate Retro FM!

Fair play Declan you delivered some great trivia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

For me anyway, Garvan Rigby is Mr Christmas FM. He's perfect for the station and is always so enthusiastic

Fair play Declan you delivered some great trivia.
    I second this, thanks Declan! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lord Nelson

.....and more trivia!!
    Retro FM boss, Mike Doyle was also co owner of ABC Parnell Street along with Ray Jackson and Bernie Jameson who are both now with Christmas FM.

Here's some more!

What else do the following Christmas FM presenters all have in common: Keith Shanley, Kieran Carrick, Emmet Reilly, Brian Boyle and Shay Harford ?

Answer: they all present on English language Spanish station Real FM.

• Advertisement

Here's some more!

What else do the following Christmas FM presenters all have in common: Keith Shanley, Kieran Carrick, Emmet Reilly, Brian Boyle and Shay Harford ?

Answer: they all present on English language Spanish station Real FM.

Declan, is there anything about Christmas FM that you dont know!! That's an impressive display of knowledge/trivia!!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

What else do the following Christmas FM presenters all have in common: Keith Shanley, Kieran Carrick, Emmet Reilly, Brian Boyle and Shay Harford

Answer: I've never heard of any of them.

dubstepper wrote: »
    Answer: I've never heard of any of them.

Keith Shanley will be very disappointed! He has been a presenter with Christmas FM every year since its inception. For a number of years, he was in fact the weekday breakfast presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Big Keith fan here Garvan too

SarahLil wrote: »
    Big Keith fan here Garvan too

The Tony Fenton of ChristmasFM IMO. He's brilliant.

The Tony Fenton of ChristmasFM IMO. He's brilliant.

Keith or Garvan? I would imagine you mean Garvan because he is particularly enthusiastic (like Tony Fenton)!

Keith or Garvan? I would imagine you mean Garvan because he is particularly enthusiastic (like Tony Fenton)!

I was thinking Keith, but yes I can see the similarities between Garvan and Tony.

Since the Christian-oriented music station Spirit Radio (or Spirit FM) has launched, there have been a lot of connections with Christmas FM.

Garvan Rigby was the original Programme Director for Spirit Radio.

The following presenters of Christmas FM have also been presenters on Spirit Radio:
    Kieran Carrick, Shay Harford, Bernie Jamieson, Mark Manning, Gerry Healy, Wendy Grace and Ollie Clarke. I'm sure there has been more.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

The halloween tunes are banging today:D

Timmy Trumpet and Savage "Freaks" great :pac:

• Advertisement

Here is another Christmas FM radio connection.

A number of presenters involved with Christmas FM have presented on Radio Nova, the licensed rock station for Dublin and the commuter belt.

They include: Mike Maloney, Hugh O'Brien, Marty Miller, Ruth Scott, Lisa Gernon, Gerry Healy, Davin O'Callaghan and Gareth O'Connor. Also, former Nova presenter Jack Hyland was involved in the background for Christmas FM with audio production - off air as Moss Breathnach.

Advertisement