Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Jude13

Bigger than the toy show for me. The charity aspect and general good spirit is infectious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

It was something that I hadn't heard about until I stumbled across it a few years ago, about the same time I found this forum (was a watcher for a good while before joining in). Might even have heard about it here, honest can't remember at this stage.

I think it has so much going for it, the charity aspect, doing the 'one offs' at Valentines and Halloween keeps their exposure at non Christmas time and the fact the amount they raise keeps climbing (I know there was a bit of dip a few years) hopefully means they are around for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,125 ✭✭✭✭DvB

To me it just feels like its always been there. It obviously hasn't but I just assume its part of my christmas experience at this stage & can't imagine it not being there.
    Since getting involved in here a few years ago the build up & launch has taking on a new importance though, as it feels like a bigger shared experience now with so many on here buzzing about it. Even the on air closedown on the 27th Dec has a sadness about it that when I re-read the old threads brings back a real pang of emotion as you re-live the shared sadness of it going off air for another 11 months.

Really looking forward to it launching this year :)

& dreading it going off air again :(
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I remember the first year I came across it and use to listen in the car, had the radio set to Christmas FM. I was going to work I think on the 27th and when I started the car there was just static. Was one of the saddest drives to work ever :(

TRS30 wrote: »
    I remember the first year I came across it and use to listen in the car, had the radio set to Christmas FM. I was going to work I think on the 27th and when I started the car there was just static. Was one of the saddest drives to work ever :(

Listening in to the shut down is worse again. IIRC last year ended with 'Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas' which was a lovely symmetry as it was the first song played on the launch back in November. I remember being in the car at the time driving across the M50 to collect my in-laws for a night out and it felt almost like that was the real moment Christmas had ended despite there being days of it left.

The rest of the holiday break never seems quite the same knowing Christmas FM is gone, the fact most of the musical channels & other radio stations stop with christmas music too doesn't help either.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    Listening in to the shut down is worse again. IIRC last year ended with 'Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas' which was a lovely symmetry as it was the first song played on the launch back in November. I remember being in the car at the time driving across the M50 to collect my in-laws for a night out and it felt almost like that was the real moment Christmas had ended despite there being days of it left.

The rest of the holiday break never seems quite the same knowing Christmas FM is gone, the fact most of the musical channels & other radio stations stop with christmas music too doesn't help either.

I was out for a walk last year to catch the last hour of ChristmasFM it was almost a poignant lump in the throat moment.

Loughc wrote: »
    I was out for a walk last year to catch the last hour of ChristmasFM it was almost a poignant lump in the throat moment.

Definitely. I still remember the feeling of fairytale of New York being No.1 on the final countdown & expecting that to be the last song (think it had been the year before) & when 'It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas came on I had a massive grin on my face, only for the realisation to draw in as it played that this was the last song i'd hear on Christmas FM until the end of November.

Only a few weeks away now all the same :)

My first experience of it was driving through a desert part of Oman coming home from work and using my data to get a request played out a request for myself and another Irish guy in the 4x4. We went mental.

Any early thoughts on first/last song this year??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I imagine it will be it's beginning to look alot like Christmas again, it's fast becoming their go to launch song and it makes total sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I imagine it will be it's beginning to look alot like Christmas again, it's fast becoming their go to launch song and it makes total sense!

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas would be an apt one for this year. Some of the lyrics look like they could have been written for Christmas 2020.

Have yourself a merry little Christmas
    Let your heart be light
    From now on your troubles will be out of sight

Through the years we all will be together
    If the fates allow
    Hang a shining star upon the highest bough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Jesus I'm gonna an emotional wreak this Christmas :D

pigtail33 wrote: »
    Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas would be an apt one for this year. Some of the lyrics look like they could have been written for Christmas 2020.

Have yourself a merry little Christmas
    Let your heart be light
    From now on your troubles will be out of sight

Through the years we all will be together
    If the fates allow
    Hang a shining star upon the highest bough

That is actually a great shout. It’s one of my favourites and the song perfectly fits the mood.

Love this cover version too.

Jesus I'm gonna an emotional wreak this Christmas :D

Yep. I’m with you there. I think the reality of 2020 will really hit home this Christmas season. Even looking back to all the previous years on this thread this morning gave me goosebumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Unlike a lot of posters here, it was this thread I stumbled upon last rather than the station! I was aware of the station since its first launch back in 2008.

That is because I was coming from a different angle from many of you, namely an radio anorak approach. I had been following the advent of temporary licensed stations since 2003 and listening out to see who I would recognoise from previous stations, particularly pirates. Incidentally, the four lads who set it up: Garv Rigby (it was his brainchild), Daragh O'Sullivan, Paul Shepard, aka Ray Jackson, and Walter Hegarty, aka Greg Townsend, have an interesting radio cv between them.

Christmas FM is unique amongst the vast majority of temporary licensed operations in that it has captured the imagination of a significant proportion of the population. This is because of the nature of the operation, the type of music it plays, the time of year (good cheer!) and that it is for charitable purposes.

I dip in and out of it every year. Sometimes I like the songs, sometimes I don't. The other point of interest for me, of course, is who's presenting. This is another interesting aspect of Christmas FM. Unlike other temporary operations, which are all voluntarily run, Christmas FM has managed over the years to get some well established broadcasters to get involved- people who do not necessarily need the radio experience.

Has to be this. Its become a tradition in itself.

The last song had been FONY for couple of years until they finished with 'Its beginning to look a lot like christmas' this year after FONY topped the countdown, I'd love this to become a tradition also being honest as I get satisfaction from the symmetry.

If they decide to go with something else to kick off I'd be hoping for Andy Williams 'Its the most wonderful time of the year' which was the first song a few years back, but would much prefer they stuck to IBTLALLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

That is actually a great shout. It’s one of my favourites and the song perfectly fits the mood.

Love this cover version too.

I love The Coronas and didn't know they did a version of this. It gave me goose bumps.

pigtail33 wrote: »
    I love The Coronas and didn't know they did a version of this. It gave me goose bumps.

Same I'm a fan of them, I know alot of them are not but I find that cover beautiful. It's perfect listening to while out for a walk on a cold dark winter night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

One act that I got to know from Christmas music videos tv shows over the last ten years is Lady Antebellum. I don't think they get much of an airing, or at all, on Christmas FM. They are an American country trio, who have done their own interpretations of some well-known Christmas standards. I am not a big country fan but their vocal and musical arrangements are really good. I wonder why Christmas FM don't use them more.

I'd be pretty happy with any of the ones mentioned so far. Once it's not Christmas Shoes :D

• Advertisement

One act that I got to know from Christmas music videos tv shows over the last ten years is Lady Antebellum. I don't think they get much of an airing, or at all, on Christmas FM. They are an American country trio, who have done their own interpretations of some well-known Christmas standards. I am not a big country fan but their vocal and musical arrangements are really good. I wonder why Christmas FM don't use them more.

I think the presenters have said before unless it's Irish they tend to stay away from Cover songs as that's a rabbit hole to go down. It might be cause Lady Antebellum has alot of covers.

Im banking on them starting off with this Christmas song:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to24HpTmtho

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I love Christmas FM can't wait for it to be back on air. I imagine the text line will have much more muted messages this year not like previous years and a lot of shout out to those who keep the country going these last few weeks.

I hope that Paul Brady song about those working at Christmas gets a few airs as they were the same people who were out grafting during lockdown.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Love reading about the shared pain experienced by everyone when it goes off air.

Remembering last year's shut down is especially eerie, because of what was in store. We never know what the future holds, I guess.

Also banking on It's Beginning to look a lot like Christmas as song one. :)

The one thing I don't really like about Christmas FM i must admit is when they play the dodgy covers of the really big Christmas tunes, well iffy versions of FONY and last Christmas , wish it could be Christmas every day etc. Usually by Ronan Keating or suchlike... no ta.

I know some people like hearing these but they really miss the spot for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Here here

Give us the original 70s/80s versions and not some new effort by a pop star trying to get attention

Just 7 weeks to launch... less than the 2 month mark now.

Just 7 weeks to launch... less than the 2 month mark now.

Have they announced the official launch date yet? Still hoping its not the Saturday myself. Always associate the launch with a lunchbreak in work, usually with a site visit that requires me being in the car at the time ;)

No official announcement yet, but it's coming soon I imagine. I hope it's the Friday myself as that will be the day I'll be putting up the tree.

And what a way to kick off the Christmas season but with ChristmasFM playing.

• Advertisement

No official announcement yet, but it's coming soon I imagine. I hope it's the Friday myself as that will be the day I'll be putting up the tree.

And what a way to kick off the Christmas season but with ChristmasFM playing.

Great minds think alike, thats the weekend ours goes up too. We actually discussed it last night whilst working away on our christmas 2020 jigsaw (we started it last weekend, a 1000 piece one & its a difficult one so could take some time) and we all agreed that last w/e in Nov (most likely the saturday afternoon) would be our decorating day.

Advertisement