Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭DvB

True.

Many will be stuck in higher fixed rate terms now though. I know loads who panicked & locked in long term fixed rates that will stay high when the cuts do come. That cost wont be diminishing for everyone, not in the short term anyway.

Anyway, things getting more expensive has always been the way of things, thats not likely to change in my lifetime either.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just a random thought guys, what one change would you make to ChristmasFM if you were station manager, (assume the 30 day temp licence can't change.)

I'd start the online DJ's as per normal from Nov.1st (I know they start anyway, but the presence is nowhere near as strong as when live on FM) & start the fundraising at that point also. It might be a small amount up until the live launch but every little helps.

Though I appreciate getting the DJ's in that early may be an issue

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

With their training courses and rewind.ie I dont think they would be short of DJs at all to cover that period.

Interestingly enough I went back to the start of the ChristmasFM thread, it's actually a great read, was handy for doing the night feeds to keep me awake/going and it's mad some years there was a post on the 30th of Nov and the next post was on the 26th of December going oh well thats ChristmasFM done for another year.

Got to relive the Snowmas one day only event excitement and got up to 2020 and my god you could see how much busier it was, there was loads of people discussing ChristmasFM in the middle of October.

• Advertisement

I've done that full read through more than once, its one of the best ones to go back & look up. You can almost feel the excitement around launch day & the lump in the throat feel around last day too.

Also looking back its interesting to see the changes in launch day/time & end day/time. There used to be an early morning start with no fanfare at all! Couldn't see that happening now. The launch is an event in itself.

Probably a question for @Declan A Walsh is there a way to get listenership figures for ChristmasFM when it’s on fm radio?

Mot sure if temporary stations are tracked like the others are by the jnlr.

I wonder what the online stream figures would be during the year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Random countdown stat.....

43 weeks today is FM launch day for Christmas FM.

Its weird, despite January flying by it feels longer than 5 weeks since the FM broadcast finished up.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Andrew93

Feels to me like January flew by but it feels a lot longer than 5 weeks since Christmas FM finished up. Time is confusing!

• Advertisement

WFH today & feeling a little down in the dumps so stuck on Christmas FM classical to try & cheer myself up a little (It being my usual go-to when in need of cheering up) and nope, still too early for me. Christmas might feel longer than 6 weeks ago now but still not long enough to really get any buzz from even the classical music.

Will leave it another few weeks now.

Was looking for some quiet background music today in the office (Had the floor to myself and no meetings scheduled) so stuck on classical for a while, have to admit it still felt not quite right so changed over to symphony instead.

Just too early for it. I have a hankering for Christmas since the weekend being down in Tipp always reminds me of being down for Christmas.

I always say it, but that feeling just can't be forced. I suppose that's what makes it so special.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Andrew93

I would occasionally dip into my Christmas playlist throughout the year but I do feel like now is too early. I admire your ability to listen in now.

For me it would just make me reminisce and sad that I've ages to wait again before the season.

Agree, couldn't listen to the normal Christmas songs at all, I do generally dip into classical throughout the year though as I find classical music a nice background to work when I'm not in meetings or suchlike. But even at that, February is too soon after the event to even get any enjoyment from even the classical.

I'll leave the classical until after Easter and wait until I get a craving.

I was only thinking about ChristmasFM a lot today and then they go and email the newsletter.

• “We wanted to let you know about a few things that are happening here at Christmas FM over the next month. The first is that the process of distributing the money raised by The Magic of Christmas Appeal starts very soon, and we'll keep you up to date with the charities and people helped by your generosity.

• Next month brings us Saint Patricks Week and as we've done over the last few years, the very popular radio station 'The Sound of Ireland' will be back on air. If you have a business that needs help in 2024 with sponsorship, we have a €5000 fund of free sponsorship for Irish business that you can apply for. See more below.

• Have you ever wanted to be on the Radio. Well exclusively for the Christmas List subscribers - we're offering our online radio training course AT NO COST in March - see more details below (no catch - it's just free)“

I'm VERY tempted by the radio training course, will have to have a think about if I have the time on a Saturday to give up. 3 hours of leaving the wife with the 2 kids after working Mon-Fri seems a stretch haha.

Would love to give it a go myself, but just don't have the time unfortunately.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I did it a few years ago and really enjoyed it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

For me I really start to pine for it from maybe August but certainly September. After a couple of drinks on a Saturday night if I find myself alone in the living room with the wife in bed I will listen to the likes of O Holy Nite from Kings or maybe one other track like Paul McCartney Wonderful Christmastime. The closer I get then I might throw an extra track in there say in October or November. Mad thing is sober I wouldn't do it ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

I'm signed up for it, But nervous for some reason. Did you get anything long lasting out of it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

No, I really enjoyed it and made a demo I am quite proud of but I had a newborn at the time, and now 5 years on, I have another one! But I would like to get into voluntary/community radio for sure. One woman on my course who, honestly, hand on heart, was a bit wooden, now has a paid daily show on a Dublin station. So it can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Nothing ventured nothing gained I suppose! Thanks for the feedback

Would love to do the Christmas FM training, not for any want to change career or get into radio or anything like that, but just to see how it all works behind the scenes really.

I used to DJ a bit back in my late teens/early 20's in bars & clubs but never ventured into any kind of radio so kinda fascinated by its workings.

Time, as ever, would be the biggest barrier. Any idea what kind of time is required to do the training?

Modules are 2nd,9th and 23rd of March 10am - 1pm and then you have 8 weeks of practical onair experience.

Might look at it as a retirement treat to myself in 8 years time!! Unlikely I'd have the time before then 🤣

You and me both! I have an important soft play date tomorrow at 10am that is not MOVEABLE haha

WFH this morning & stuck classical on in the background & barely noticed it TBH, though Troika by Prokofiev has been noticeable as its been played 2 or 3 times already.

A wonderful piece of music it is too.

• Advertisement

The sound of Ireland returns today until the 18th of March. Perfect background noise if you're having a gathering for Patrick's Day, not sure if I'll be tuning in but I get why they do it.

Advertisement