Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I didn’t hear Dolly Parton once this year!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I only heard it once. Christmas Shoes not at all, so big plus!

I don't listen to Christmas FM much, just occasionally, but still managed to hear Elton and Ed 847 times! 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Sam Ryder was about as welcome as Bubonic Plague but Aimee's song really grew on me. Hopefully we'll hear it again next year and the year after

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Yep, Ed and Elton the clear stand out 'played every single time I listened in' winner for 2023. Whatever about thinking it was okay the first couple of times I heard it, the constant repeats grated quickly.

Wont be adding that to my personal playlist anyway.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I heard that annoying Peter Kay song quite a few times. 0 Christmas shoes, which is a result worth celebrating.

• Advertisement

😮‍💨

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The Peter Kay song is so much fun! I’m just thrilled it was uncancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I heard Christmas Shoes a number of times over the last few days including today, but I am in the minority that does not mind it! I did not hear Dolly Parton's Holly Jolly Christmas once which is great news! Aimee managed to make the Top 40 countdown (which is currently underway with Dave "Lionsey" Lyons) with her winning entry for the Song Contest, which is very impressive. I heard Geraldine, aka Peter Kay, a few times. I quite like that song - Once Upon a Christmas Time. I just heard Andrea Corr's version of The Christmas Song in the countdown, and I never heard that version before at all!

Delighted to see Grown-Up Christmas List (David Foster and Natalie Cole version) reach Number 24 in this year's countdown. Incidentally, it was joint Number 8 in the Forum of Games Christmas Songs Countdown! I did not see hear Amy Grant's version on Christmas FM this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I didn't know it was cancelled? I can only assume it was cancelled by the music police 😀

• Advertisement

There was much discussion about it being out of favour a few years ago and not getting played, but it seems to have been less of an issue last year and this year and is back on the playlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

i wish they would uncancel “Baby it’s cold outside”, it’s one of my all time favourites but was a victim of the cancel culture of a few years ago.

It's been a weird playlist this year in my opinion. FTONY and Last Christmas were absolutely played to death and they're in my top 5.

I'll scream if I hear Ed and Elton again. Good God. Also Sam Ryder was played far too much. Such a dreadfully untalented "singer" and a crap song.

I don't think I heard Gwen Stefani at all this year with "You make it feel like Christmas".

Barely any Bing and Bowie, Greg Lake or I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas.

I know it's been said the last few years that the playlist hasn't seemed as varied but I definitely felt it this year. Still, I absolutely love the station and always feel a twinge inside me when it disappears from FM frequency 🥹

I heard FTONY a number of times, but Last Christmas even more so. I also heard Ed and Elton quite a lot, and the novelty has definitely worn off! I only heard Sam Ryder's song a few times and I don't mind it so far. I don't think I heard Gwen's song this year - it is one I barely know so far! Likewise for me, I have barely heard Bing and Bowie, and I don't think I heard I'm Dreaming etc. at all. However, I have actually heard Greg Lake's song a lot this year, but I don't mind that! I am fed up of hearing Feliz Navidad at this stage.

Ah, that is it for another year. 🙁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I was listening online and there seemed to be very little farewells! I assume FTONY was the last song on FM?

The 30 days of Christmas FM are by far the quickest 30 days of the year. I don't tend to find in much between now and New Year, so I probably won't be listening in again until November next year 😥

I am not sure, they played FONY as the no. 1 in the countdown, the DJ said a brief thanks to everyone, there were ads, then Slade's Merry Christmas Everybody. Then they played Same Old Lang Syne, and another DJ came on and she said that had just been the first online song.

Edit: It's still going strong on my radio which is set to FM. 🤷‍♀️

I think that happened last year too, an 80s station takes over the FM slot so it's like the Christmas FM one doesn't seem to get turned off.

Yep same thing happened last year. In my heart FONY is the last FM song each year. And it’s fitting especially this year.

I'm leaving the frequency on because that 80's station is great! 😁

• Advertisement

The 80s station is Classic Hits 80s, a sister station of Classic Hits Ireland and Radio Nova. Roger Lane (or Roger Latham) and Declan Ralph, both of Christmas FM, are in the line up for Classic Hits 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

The frequency phases being switched off depending on what part of the country you are in I think. So for some seven o clock it will be gone, for others it could be 8 or whatever.

Thatll do me for the stats!

I tend to ignore the clear FM overrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Coupon King

12:04am here and still getting Darlene Love on Fm Broadcast in W.Meath

Just realised when I get in my car later we'll be met by static on the radio... always a downer of a moment that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Just as much as there are little things to tick off in your own mind to know that Christmas is on the way, there are ones to tick off to know it's ending. But I always feel that when it's truly over on Jan 6th I don't mind. But it is a little bit of sadness every time something like Christmas fm going static or the music channels going back to normal.

Post edited by Smell the glove on

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭BK5

Already happend to me buddy, the radio was already set to Christmas FM and nothing but static as soon as I turned the key at about 7:45 this morning. 😕

I have that ahead of me too next time I get into the car.

I noticed last night all the Christmas music TV channels are gone back to normal already. I thought they used to keep going until January.

• Advertisement

The TV channels are notoriousy bad for swapping back. Some change back at midnight on Christmas night.

Advertisement