Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Yep last year they were around the 300k mark (or maybe even a little under) and we said then it would be a big ask to hit the overall 1m target across the 3 years. I wonder had hey hoped to get back on track and be at 660k after 2 years or just aim for 330k? We'll find out soon enough I suppose.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I wonder if Christmas FM and the Toy Show appeal both collecting for the same group of charities helps or hinders their efforts, or would a lot of people donate to both.

Good question.

How many people would cop it though? I know we donated 3 figures to both this year and even we never put much thought into the charities themselves. I genuinely never copped both were for the same charities.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Excellent point! The 3 year charity plan kinds baffled me a bit, I liked how ChristmasFM did have a diverse range of charity partners each and every year, I do appreciate the Children charities getting the spotlight but rightly pointed out Posy, the toy show kinda have that boxed off in a big way maybe ChristmasFM can use their appeal to shine the light on lesser known charities/sectors.

If they fail to hit the 3 year target I reckon that strategy will be dropped and they'll return to a different charity year on year.

In fact I reckon they'll do that anyway.

• Advertisement

Random early check in, the Christmas FM launch 2024 is 46 weeks from today!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

My iPhone is mocking me and keeps recommending that i open the ChristmasFM app in the mornings based of previous usage.

I read somewhere or was it on the ChristmasFM podcast that Nov 2023 pre-go live was their largest audience yet for ChristmasFM PRE-GO LIVE. So it seems there's a stronger appetite for some Christmas in early November, I wonder will that lead to more DJs this year.

Friend of mine was involved with them this year and was chatting to him last week, he said the same, that the streaming figures from Nov 1st were the highest they've ever had (pre FM launch) ever. I know they have DJs on the stream from early November but they don't get as involved as they do over the actual FM period, maybe with the audience increasing they'll up that for this year though? Worth keeping an eye on (or ear as the case may be!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

I know I've said it a few times but I would love to see their figures for Jan - Oct. Pure curiosity of how many people are listening to Christmas FM online , and I mean the proper one not the classical one!

I’d love this info too. I have a feeling the stats would surprise you. The Philippines celebrates Christmas from September 1st and apparently they hoover up all Christmas content up online including ChristmasFM.

Christmas in July is becoming a little bit more popular so that would see a boost during the depts of the off peak

• Advertisement

I wouldn't underestimate the amount of people that log in reasonably regularly for a listen. Even if it's just for a few minutes at a time.

I’d love to know what impact ChristmasFM has on commercial radio? It must be causing a hit to the listenership for the other stations.

I know Bauer Media are threatened as they launch a Christmas hits 24:7 stream on their Go Loud app in mid November so they obviously want to get the jump on ChristmasFM by launching it a week earlier.

Bauer media own TodayFM, Spin, Redfm and newstalk amongst others. The DJs on TodayFM often can be found joking about how early it is to be promoting the Christmas hits channel.

Suspect Christmas FM will have the larger audience once it launches. The heavily driven charity element will make it hard to match imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Was that the other Christmas music channel I heard this year? Not sure what it was called but definitely came across some other Christmas channel. Didn't find out the name as the car journey ended.

Are there a few now?

Christmas hits is on the go loud app it wasn’t on the radio except for a half a hour when it went live. It was on TodayFM.

TodayFM also played only Christmas music Christmas week so it essentially was a Christmas station that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Right it might have been via the go loud app. I listen via my phone in the car sometimes.

324k raised.

Think that still leaves them slightly behind the curve for the 3 year target of 1 million euro though.

They need to raise €381k in 2024 to break the €1m mark. Which is a HUGE ask if you ask me.

Yeah that's unlikely given the last 2 years donation totals. Will need a huge push.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

On a slightly more anorak note...

I believe that is Paul Shepard, one of the owners, in the red cardigan. I think that the person third from the left holding the cheque is Katie Harrington, (not the boxer!). Does anyone know who any of the others in the photo are?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lord Nelson

Third from the left is Dee Ahern, CEO of Barretstown. Beside her is Tim O’Dea, also Barretstown. The lady second from left is Claire Diamond, Director of Broadcasting at CNM. The other folks are presumably from the the other charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lord Nelson

Pre Covid in 2018 and 2019 they raised in excess of €400,000 in both years so not beyond the realms of possibility? That said, it’s a big ask and certainly puts the pressure on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I had assumed that they were all Christmas FM! No wonder I could not find them in the photos of the Team....except for one who resembled Dee Ahern!

I think the cost of living the last 2 Christmas's has seen charity donations down across the board (heard something along those lines on newstalk only last week) so unless something spectacular happens its a fair old sum to make up. Though I suspect they'll get close enough to it even if they do just miss out.

Either way for a station that's only on the FM airwaves for 30 days it's still a fabulous achievement to raise as much as they do for charity.

I have high hopes the cost of living crisis will calm down this year. Energy companies have already started the year with a price war and supermarkets are cutting prices as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭BK5

Don't know if its anecdotal or bull really but I'm hearing a lot of things like people are not buying houses, cars or eating out because these things are just gone too dear and the average person just doesn't have it to spare in Ireland at the moment.

Shame interest rate cuts have been pushed out, there had been talk of cuts in March or April but that's been pushed out to june/July.

Well the housing crisis and house prices have been keeping people from buying their own homes for years now. Long before the cost of living crisis.

• Advertisement

At least there no more interest hikes and the cuts will come.

Advertisement