Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,156 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Same.

Have heard it the last 3 days in a row. Awful misery guts of a thing.

We had a funny incident with Christmas FM yesterday, we were driving home from my in-laws & had it on the radio in the car, there'd been an unfortunate run of 'duds' (for the want of a better description) & in frustration I let out a 'Can we please have a belter like Band Aid' and with that it changed to Band Aid... the whole carload of us cracked up at the timing, we all sang along to it & agreed it was a real cracker of a Christmas tune still!!

Hard to believe it all wraps up on FM Wednesday week! On that note, can someone keep an eye on the last song broadcast on FM, I'll be away with the family & am unlikely to hear the closing show this year and would like to keep my records of first/last song up to date. Thanks.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Somehow or other, I have not actually heard Christmas Shoes so far during the current FM run. Ironically, the song does not bother me! At one stage yesterday evening while driving, I changed from Christmas FM as it was playing a song I do not like. It could well have been that Tailor Swift song, which I am hearing too much this year and is really grating on me! Anyway, I happened to put on a pirate called Retro FM and it was playing 3 or 4 in a row of Christmas songs! I had to check it was not Christmas FM!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭tscul32

I haven't heard Christmas shoes yet either. Long may that last.

Heard Jonah Lewie on the way home today for the first time so that's another marked off my list.

Twas followed by Andy Williams so I was well cheered up!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

One of the songs I have heard too much this year is Christmas Tree Farm by Taylor Swift.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Heard Jonah Lewie again this morning... sweet.

Have to say I'm also liking the David Foster & Katharine McPhee version of Carol of the Bells too, nice electronic/synth edge to it.

WFH today so will have Christmas FM on in the background for most of the day, hoping to avoid 'THAT SONG' but suspect i'll need to lower the volume for it at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Anyone having issues with listening online? Doesnt seem to be working on Tunein or the official website this afternoon. It also seems to be acting up on alexa the last day or two either cutting out after a few mins or else going really low volume for songs and then really loud for presenters talking.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The App wasn't working for me at all earlier this morning.

Odd. have had it on all day (since about 7.30am) and other than an odd teams call when I had to lower it haven't had a single issue listening in (online thru the PC anyway)

Haven't heard Christmas Shoes or Dolly Parton in all that time either.... taking that as a win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Does anyone know if any of the winners of the Xmas FM song competition ever make it onto the annual playlist?

I think in the initial years the competition was pushed more and the entries played more but I rarely hear it now. Is it still run? I thought I heard some mention once this year, but I haven't listen to Xmas FM for any length just car trips mostly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The winner gets added to the playlist, but maybe just for the year they win? 🤔

A song called 'Grafton Street Lights' won the contest this year. It's a decent song, but the title of it is a bit cringy! 😄

One of the better recent ones to be fair, heard it yesterday and thought it was decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'm sick of hearing this new version of Carol of the Bells and definitely sick of Ed Sheeran and Elton John.

However, I was on the way to work yesterday and heard an awful song and thought "oh this must be one of the songs contest entries, a really bad one". Turns out it was Sam Ryder. Good God, he's absolutely dire 🤮

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭tscul32

Well I obviously jinxed it!! Heard it earlier.

I see James Goulding is on the schedule. I think he might be new to Christmas FM. He was a presenter for many years (as well as a director) on Anna Livia/Dublin City FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

The Twelve two days of Christmas 🎄

On the first day of Christmas

My true love sent to me:

And a partridge in a pear tree

On the second day of Christmas

My true love sent to me:

Christmas FM has ended

And a partridge in a pear tree 😥

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

We asked. And WOW, how you answered.

Donation Day 2023 has come to a close – and you've responded in the most mind-blowing way imaginable.

Our total for the day is €171,084

On a day where we speak in such big numbers, let's just take a moment to allow the enormity of that number sink in.

It's hard to put into words what a difference that's going to make for the The Magic of Christmas appeal and our charity partners.

You got us over the line. We can't thank you enough.

What a day that was.

what a result for ChristmasFM today!! Amazing results.

Heard them announce it live on the air on the drive home and you could tell how much it meant.

Hopefully they'll meet their overall target for the year now.

Heard a couple of songs for the first time this Christmas season yesterday on the drive home, Neil Diamonds 'Happy Christmas' and The carpenters ' Merry Christmas darling'

refreshing to hear little heard songs like these now & again.

Still hearing Ed & Elton waaaay too much though, to the point its becoming the song that grates for me this year on Christmas FM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I'd agree @DvB, it would be good to hear a more diverse set of songs. It's great when you hear ones that you don't hear that often. They are going hard on Ed & Elton, also Taylor Swift, FTONY. The latter is understandable this year but it is flogged to death each year. No matter how much you like a song, there is a limit (for me anyway).

Some of the bigger songs I haven't much this year:

Wizard It's Christmas

Wham!

Shakin' Stevens Merry christmas everyone

Mariah! (Think I have heard it once!)

I agree. It is refreshing when you hear a few of the less played songs. I heard Barry Manilow's Christmas is Just Around the Corner last night. This is one that I have grown to really like over the last few years.

From Christmasfm

It's almost taken 40 years, but it was just revealed that Wham's Last Christmas has FINALLY hit Christmas Number One! 

The official Christmas Chart was revealed on BBC Radio 1 in the last few minutes.

George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley's melancholy tale of a scorned lover was famously kept off the top spot in 1984 by Band Aid's Do They Know It's Christmas?

A worthy winner for sure, but will Ireland follow suit or will Fairytale of New York nab the top stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Was just about to post about Wham uk Christmas number 1

Hard to believe we're into the last 24 hours of the Christmas FM broadcast for 2023. I know it carries on online until the early hours of Jan 1st but there's always a tinge of sadness when the FM broadcast finishes each year.

I'll probably miss the last few hours this year so would appreciate if the last track could be posted here.

A massive Thank You to all the team at Christmas FM for another great year. The joy they generate every year is phenomenal. Christmas and the build up wouldn't be the same without it.

Yeah the thought popped into my head on Christmas Eve and again today how quickly ChristmasFM on air coverage went.

I’m gonna miss the last on air song as well so hopefully someone else can catch it for us.

Not sure if any of the ChristmasFM higher ups still keep an eye on this thread but thanks so much to each and every volunteer, the work they do for charity is unrivaled and it’s a huge part of my Christmas soundtrack I’d be lost without it.

On a not so positive note. I heard Christmas shoes on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Complete channel changer. As is grown up Christmas List! 😡😡

Same, I'd be lost without it now.

Honestly reckon this year was the least I listened in for a good few years now though, but that was due to work circumstances more than anything else. Fingers crossed next year I'll have more time to enjoy it.

Will have the NYE broadcast on as we're hosting a few friends that night and then I'll leave the main channel alone for c.10 months or so.

Every year it seems to go by faster and faster and this year was no different.

Have to say Sam Ryders new Christmas song and Aimee’s the song contest winner are two great additions to the rotation.

• Advertisement

Thought the playlist this year was decent overall, did hear Christmas shoes 2 or 3 times but didn't hear Dolly Parton or Patsy and Elmo.

There was a few songs I didn't hear that I'd have liked to but generally found any time I listened in the playlist was well balanced, and Dee Woods joining the DJ list was a surprising addition that I was delighted with.

Advertisement