Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

lol well when its 50% of my post workout meal 500ml is a serving.

I'll keep an eye out for fage, does have better macros, doubt it will be 55c like Dunnes Stores finest though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

conzy wrote: »
    That has 19g of carbs from sugars per 500g so not that much better..

What I really want to know is, is this "bad" sugar?

I presume its better than eating 19.5 of white granulated sugar

I prefer white sugar, at least you know what's in it ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

xh4CMyR.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Anyone have any idea were in Dublin city centre does a good low carb meal? I know counter do a burger in a bowl and Aussie BBQ have the meat box. Be in town tomorrow and trying to think of alternatives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I seen in the paper the other day an article talking about a Goats cheese shortage? anyone see this?

Really? No didn't see that, time to stock up on the local goat's cheese gouda I get here, it's sublime.

http://www.irishcheese.ie/members/killeen.html

"Healthy" vegetable oils may actually increase risk of heart disease, researchers say

Nice to see some high profile research on this. There was research in the 1950's that showed this but there are a lot of vested interests in keeping consumption of what was an industrial product high.

Now it can be used as bio-diesel I wonder are those vested interest less concerned with keeping it's usage in the food chain high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Now it can be used as bio-diesel I wonder are those vested interest less concerned with keeping it's usage in the food chain high.

Nail on the head there. It all comes back to the almighty dollar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Anyone have any idea were in Dublin city centre does a good low carb meal? I know counter do a burger in a bowl and Aussie BBQ have the meat box. Be in town tomorrow and trying to think of alternatives.

I'd actually be interested in an answer to this too, if anyone knows of anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

Frogdog wrote: »

I'd actually be interested in an answer to this too, if anyone knows of anywhere?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057076768

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I think I did all right with the meat shop today...

280626.jpg

Dear lord. What did you get? Where did you get it? And how much did it cost? Mmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I went to Brannigans wholesale meats out in Rosemount Business Park to pick all the protein I'll need for the next few weeks. Ended up with
    • 20kg of chicken fillet (4x5KG boxes) - €30 a box or two for €55
    • 1.4KG trimmed round roast - €12.50
    • 1KG 99% lean mince (2x500g frozen) - €5 per bag / €10 per KG
    • 2KG 95% lean mince - €6.25 per kg
    • 2.4KG of turkey mince (4x600G frozen) - €6 per bag / €10 per KG

Cost me €164 or thereabouts. I know it's a lot of money but I'll spread it out over the month or six weeks it'll last me. It makes money sense too since the price per kilo is amazing, especially on the chicken which works out at €6 per KG or €5.50 if you buy two boxes. In smaller quantities you could be looking at €8-€10+ per KG :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

what's the story with frozen berries and such now? safe to purchase or still hepatitis risk?

Still risky apparently. Latest update from 8th November:

http://www.fsai.ie/uploadedFiles/News_Centre/Press_Releases/FSAI_Information_Note_4.pdf

I know I keep banging this drum:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/17/health/a-lifelong-fight-against-trans-fat.html?smid=tw-nytimeshealth&seid=auto&_r=1&
    This leads him to a controversial conclusion: that the saturated fat in butter, cheese and meats does not contribute to the clogging of arteries — and in fact is beneficial in moderate amounts in the context of a healthy diet (lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and other fresh, unprocessed foods).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Can anyone here recommend any informative books on the Paleo Diet?
    I've really over indulged over Christmas and I want to get back in shape. My brother has brought up this particular diet a few times before and from what I've seen it looks pretty straightforward- high protein, low carbs, low sugar.
    Could do with a bit more information, though.
    I did Motivation back in 2012 and lost 2 stone but in the interim since the 20 week course ended, I've regained a stone.
    I currently weigh 20 stone 12lbs and I'd ideally like to get down to a long term target weight of 16 stone. (The folks in Motivation said that for my height and stature I should aim to be 10stone but I personally feel I'd look sick if I was that size.)
    Any help would be great appreciated. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

• Advertisement

Thank you! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Alshoca

What height are you McChubbin?

Alshoca wrote: »
    What height are you McChubbin?
    I'm 5 foot 11 and a half inches- just shy of 6 foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

McChubbin wrote:
    I currently weigh 20 stone 12lbs and I'd ideally like to get down to a long term target weight of 16 stone. (The folks in Motivation said that for my height and stature I should aim to be 10stone but I personally feel I'd look sick if I was that size.)
    Any help would be great appreciated. :)

WTF? 10 stone? That's nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭meijin

McChubbin wrote: »
    Can anyone here recommend any informative books on the Paleo Diet?

in my opinion, this is the best way to start: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056501032

PS 10 stone seems way too low as a target.

meijin wrote: »
    in my opinion, this is the best way to start: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056501032

Thanks! also, I agree- 10 stone would probably make me look sick/borderline anorexic. I don't agree with it personally but that's what they told me in Motivation. :/
    Anyways, the smallest I've ever been in my adult life is a size 16 but I didn't weigh myself at the time. I reckon I was probably around the 17 stone mark back then but I don't know for certain as it was during a time when I was hospitalised and having my meals closely monitored.
    Regardless, I was still "big" in a sense but I could fit into a pair of size 16 jeans with plenty of wiggle room and I'd love to get back to that.
    I have a lovely plaid shirt in the wardrobe that I'd love to get into but for now, my first goal is to lose at least a stone.

Don't quote me on this as I'll probably end up breaking it before the month's out but I've decided to give up alcohol for January. I find I get very bloated after being on the beers and I could do without the hangovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,060 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

meijin wrote: »

For a guy maybe but not a girl imo. You can always reassess along the way. I appreciate the poster is nearly 6 ft but 16 stone is quite high a weight to aim for.
    Regardless you can always adjust a target as you go

Mellor wrote: »
    For a guy maybe but not a girl imo. You can always reassess along the way. I appreciate the poster is nearly 6 ft but 16 stone is quite high a weight to aim for.
    Regardless you can always adjust a target as you go

I'm 5'10" and I start to look skeletal at 10st 2lb, my lowest weight, you could see the top of my ribs and I looked gaunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,060 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm 5'10" and I start to look skeletal at 10st 2lb, my lowest weight, you could see the top of my ribs and I looked gaunt.

As I said it can be adjusted as you go. My own "target" weight has changed multiple times over a 7kg range.
    Everyone is different, 10st could be too low, but I'd be surprised if it ended up being around 16st.

• Advertisement

I bought this book today: http://www.amazon.com/The-Paleo-Diet-Revised-Designed/dp/0470913029
    I also cooked my first reasonably healthy meal of 2014: Chicken stir fry with wheat noodles. It was very nice and incredibly simple to do.
    I definatly feel fuller after having it which is a bit weird as usually I'm craving something to eat after 20 minutes of a meal.
    I also bought some bananas to munch on if I get a sugar craving but I know that they have a lot of potassium in them so I'll ration them accordingly.
    I'm feeling very determined at the moment and I'm not sure how long it will last but I'm hopeful that 2014 will be different to last in that I'll loose weight rather than have it stagnate. :)

Advertisement