Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Haven't been feeling well for the past while, which is some of the reason I haven't been posting much but, I got blood test results back today ALT 116U/L range 1-31 :( My poor liver.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I feel like getting a banner with this in 14ft high letters and hanging it up in the middle of all major cities:

"The idea that eating is primarily a conscious and voluntary behavior is deeply rooted in our culture. We humans are invested in the notion that we have free will in all things. We want to believe that weight can be controlled by volition alone. Why can’t that fat guy just eat less and exercise more? He just lacks willpower, right? Not at all. Our homeostatic feeding control circuits make it very hard to lose a lot of weight and keep it off. As weight drops, fat mass decreases and leptin levels decline, triggering the biochemical cascade we just explored, producing signals that both reduce metabolic rate and produce a strong subconscious drive to eat. The more weight that is lost, the stronger the drive to eat will be and the greater the reduction in energy use. This is the sad but unavoidable truth that the multibillion-dollar-a-year diet industry doesn’t want you to know."- David J. Linden in The Compass of Pleasure: How Our Brains Make Fatty Foods, Orgasm, Exercise, Marijuana, Generosity, Vodka, Learning, and Gambling Feel So Good

It underlines that NOTHING will change on a population level unless we start manipulating the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I'm looking forward to the fat gene documentary on channel 4 Thursday night, I hope it's worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I'm looking forward to the fat gene documentary on channel 4 Thursday night, I hope it's worth watching.

With Channel 4 you never know some of there documentaries can be very insightful others well full of stereotypes and sensationalism.

Oh and hi :), first time posting here. Still trying to get the hang of eating healthy and gaining weight but slowly but surely I'm still a novice though :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

• Advertisement

A guy tests non-gluten free beers and finds a lot of them are in fact effectively gluten free:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/523125#7430125

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I've stopped reading Doctorwhogirl's posts.

I just scroll down to the bottom and automatically thank it.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

I've stopped reading Doctorwhogirl's posts.

I just scroll down to the bottom and automatically thank it.

:)

awwwwwwww! I feel awesome! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cheese-to-be-excluded-from-advertising-ban-596508.html
    The rules on the advertising of unhealthy food to children have been drawn up and will come into force in September.

The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland has issued revised versions of its Commercial Communications Codes.

They apply to television ads which promote "High Fat, Salt and Sugar food and drinks" to kids.

Under the rules, advertisements that promote unhealthy foods will not be permitted during children's programmes.

There will also be restrictions on the amount of ads for unhealthy foods that run across the schedule.

However cheese, which had been mooted for a ban, is back on the good list.

Chief Executive of the BAI, Michael O'Keeffe, said: "We took the views of all on board.

"I think what probably swung it in the decision to remove them (cheese) from the banned list was that the members of the expert group took the view that on balance it should be exempted, but that we would include a message and there will be a requirement for an on-screen message on cheese
    I wonder what their definition of "high" is, will this include cereals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Zombienosh wrote: »
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cheese-to-be-excluded-from-advertising-ban-596508.html

I would really hope so.

• Advertisement

Stop food advertising to kids full stop. There is no need for it other than to pressurise parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Stop food advertising to kids full stop. There is no need for it other than to pressurise parents.

What if I want to sell them broccoli?

What if I want to sell them broccoli?

Well, you'll have to get around the well-funded broccoli cartel for starters.

Did someone here post up an online(and prob app) food log that wasn't fitday or myfitnesspal.

Thought it was a good one but can't find it now

Cronometer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

How do people calculate the nutritional information for their homemade stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Put all your ingredients into myfitnesspal. It will give you all the info.

You can't really. Most values come from the USDA database, the stock they use for analysis is far less nutritious. The cals are likely to be accurate enough (low enough anyway) but the minerals and other nutrients are likely to be listed as much much lower.

• Advertisement

Had this tonight:

263840.jpg

Italian style stuffed aubergine, rib-eye steak and Dijon Potato salad.. sooo good and filling, the steak was sort of superfluous, couldn't finish it!

Highly recommend the stuffed aubergine to vegetarians, so very filling and yummy.

"Heavy coffee drinkers beware: new study shows it could shorten your life"
    The study, which involved more than 4o,ooo adults, found that young adults under the age of 55 who drink more than four cups of coffee a day are more likely to die early than others.

More than 4 seems excessive anyway?
    but coffee rocks.

http://www.thejournal.ie/coffee-study-shorten-life-1041127-Aug2013/?utm_source=twitter_self

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

"Heavy coffee drinkers beware: new study shows it could shorten your life"

More than 4 seems excessive anyway?
    but coffee rocks.

http://www.thejournal.ie/coffee-study-shorten-life-1041127-Aug2013/?utm_source=twitter_self

It is reported that some other experts have cautioned the study stating that the research has major limitations adding that the findings do not actually find that coffee causes death.

I'd go through 4 cups easy in a day.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Had a hankering for curry chips after the gym this morning for some reason so here was my Friday treat:

756cals
    78g protein
    87g carbs
    9g fat

18301167a57ca3f6003db95c42165e0dfa9a2e21.jpg

Is there an irish site where people post recipes + macros?

I have loads of photos of nice meals I made and have the exact macros / calories recorded. Might start a blag

Start a blog bro,
    Now you have me wanting curry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Whats the general consensus on non fat natural yoghurt? Its a good source of protein but most of the carbs in at are from sugar? I'd usually polish off a 500ml serving for breakfast on training days.

Macros:

230 cals
    0.5g fat
    29.5g protein
    21.5g carbs
    sugars 21.5g

21.5g of sugar is just too much imo.

Swap to this

http://products.uk.fage.eu/yoghurt/total-classic-170g

Enjoy!

21.5g of sugar is just too much imo.

Swap to this

http://products.uk.fage.eu/yoghurt/total-classic-170g

Enjoy!

That has 19g of carbs from sugars per 500g so not that much better..

What I really want to know is, is this "bad" sugar?

I presume its better than eating 19.5 of white granulated sugar

• Advertisement

conzy wrote: »
    That has 19g of carbs from sugars per 500g so not that much better..

What I really want to know is, is this "bad" sugar?

I presume its better than eating 19.5 of white granulated sugar

the Fage Greek yoghurt is a lot better.
    --
    per 500g

~ 480 kcals
    ~ 45g Protein
    ~ 19g Sugar / Carbs
    ~ 25g fat
    --
    500g isn't a serving by the way, it's a "helping".

Advertisement