Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low/No Carb Restaurants

Options
  • 05-11-2013 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

Hey there, does anyone know of any restaurants that actually make an effort to serve low carb meals in Dublin.

I hate being looked at like a freak when k ask for no rice/spuds etc.

I know I could go to somewhere like Elephant & Castle and order Chicken Wings and and an omelette, but I can do that at home!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Aussie Bbq on south richmond street is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Yeah Aussie BBQ is king.

They'll even do your burger with no bread filler in the patty (for all the glutards) if you ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

just go wherever you are want and ask for extra veg instead of spuds or a burger without the bun and extra salad, if they want you back they wil oblige

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

Bison Bar Wellington Quay > Aussie BBQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Eddies burger in a bowel.
    Gourmet burger burger in a bowel.
    Shushi (Shashmi type yum yum) I like yamamori in georges street.
    Any steak place, just dont eat the carbs that come with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Eddies burger in a bowel.
    Gourmet burger burger in a bowel.
    Shushi (Shashmi type yum yum) I like yamamori in georges street.
    Any steak place, just dont eat the carbs that come with it.

I am hoping that is a bowl!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

There's a real gap in the market for this kind of restaurant. I was on low carb for over a year, but it was eating out that made me give it up.

I mean a burger in a bowl is hardly work the trip and BBQ sauce is quite sugary.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,563 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

irishbuzz wrote: »
    Bison Bar Wellington Quay > Aussie BBQ

If only for the saddle stools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Bunsen burger do lettuce wraps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I am hoping that is a bowl!

Goes from one to the other :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭donnbradman

Lux23 wrote: »
    Hey there, does anyone know of any restaurants that actually make an effort to serve low carb meals in Dublin.

I hate being looked at like a freak when k ask for no rice/spuds etc.

I know I could go to somewhere like Elephant & Castle and order Chicken Wings and and an omelette, but I can do that at home!

Man, you need carbs to live. Don't bother with these low carb fad diets, doomed to failure and an eating disorder!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Man, you need carbs to live. Don't bother with these low carb fad diets, doomed to failure and an eating disorder!

Popcorn time :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

There's a real gap in the market for this kind of restaurant. I was on low carb for over a year, but it was eating out that made me give it up.

I mean a burger in a bowl is hardly work the trip and BBQ sauce is quite sugary.

I'm not low carb anymore but low-carb has to be the EASIEST diet to eat out on!

Most all restaurant menus have a protein and hold the potatoes or rice option.

Try being vegan, or low fat or south beach or whatever, you really won't find it easier tbh.

BTW when trying to lose weight it's a terrible idea to eat out a lot. You just end up feeling deprived and caving.

Make most of your own food and you can create really interesting things and most importantly you'll know what goes into it.

Try being vegan, or low fat or south beach or whatever, you really won't find it easier tbh.

No, try being a coeliac vegetarian.

Possibly the worst combination of all time for eating out.

No, try being a coeliac vegetarian.

Possibly the worst combination of all time for eating out.

Yes, you definitely win! Most veggie options are pasta in 90% of restaurants.

Yes, you definitely win! Most veggie options are pasta in 90% of restaurants.

Thankfully it's not me. Brother's missus.

Was in an Italian with them before and they refused to drop the parmesan from the only main she could order so she had tomato and mozarella for starter and a larger version of the same for main.

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

Thankfully it's not me. Brother's missus.

Was in an Italian with them before and they refused to drop the parmesan from the only main she could order so she had tomato and mozarella for starter and a larger version of the same for main.

Jesus wept.

Excuse my ignorance here, but why was she able to eat mozzarella and not parmesan?

irishbuzz wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance here, but why was she able to eat mozzarella and not parmesan?

Parmesan is made with rennet, which comes from the stomach of a calf.

Mozzarella is humanely slaughter and not stored in cramped conditions while it matures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

but you are still paying for them, that's the issue some would have. People suggested asking for veg instead but some might be shy about it, or there could be language difficulties, or just want to know if they can get it without having to go in and ask first, i.e. with a group of people -wanting to be absolutely certain it is policy that they can get it.

This is what I hate about chinese takeaways, they are nearly always set meals automatically including rice/noodles/chips. I often just get starters because of this, they are usually enough for 2 people and enough for me on their own.

You could try the Chinese buffets. I'm surprised there are not more buffets with different foods about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I tried the Little Ass paleo box yesterday, it was nice but I prefer the Tolteca version I've had before - salad, adobo chicken, salsa & guac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

There's a real gap in the market for this kind of restaurant.

You can get chicken and beef anywhere!
    rubadub wrote: »
    but you are still paying for them, that's the issue some would have. People suggested asking for veg instead but some might be shy about it, or there could be language difficulties, or just want to know if they can get it without having to go in and ask first, i.e. with a group of people -wanting to be absolutely certain it is policy that they can get it.

Just don't eat it. If you are doing low carb you probably shouldn't be eating much veg anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Magenta wrote: »
    Just don't eat it. If you are doing low carb you probably shouldn't be eating much veg anyway.
    But you won't be eating much at all then! The carb portion of the meal might be quite small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

In FXB's, you can get your steak with a salad rather than mashed spuds or chips. Sauce choices are garlic butter, pepper sauce or red wine jus, as far as I recall.

For a more lunchie place, you can get burrito or fajita bowls in Boojum and probably other Mexican-type places.

And your chicken wings idea is something I always avail off if I want to low carb it whilst out. Chicken wings at home ain't the same at all! :P

I wish more places offered low carb breakfasts, or a reduction in the price of the meal if you don't get the bread/fried potatoes/etc. that come with.

I'm not low carb anymore but low-carb has to be the EASIEST diet to eat out on!

It's irksome to have to pay full price for only half the meal though. (unless they give you extra protein) So I definitely think there's a gap in the market there.

I think people complaining need to realise very little of what you pay for in restaurants is actually for the food. If you're not taking your potatoes its about 20c of cost to them not a whole other steaks worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,119 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't really consider "hold the potatoes" to be enough to qualify as proper low carb meal option. But a lot of places will swap spuds for veg/salad.
    A lot of menus in sydney come with low carb options. Especially in cafés for lunch.

I think people complaining need to realise very little of what you pay for in restaurants is actually for the food. If you're not taking your potatoes its about 20c of cost to them not a whole other steaks worth.

I don't think anyone is suggesting a whole other steak worth of protein to compensate. But from the customer's POV, you're paying the same amount of money for less food. So reduce the cost a little.

• Advertisement

And that's what I'm trying to point out what you pay in a restaurant very little is the cost of the food.

Advertisement