Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Are you kidding? Onions sauteeing gently in butter is the best smell in the world!

Throw a clove of garlic in there and you've got my idea of heaven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Are you kidding? Onions sauteeing gently in butter is the best smell in the world!

I did keto before and its lingered from then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I love the smell of liver frying, much to the digust of, oh, everyone. :o I never liked the liver we were served up as kids because it was overcooked to buggery, but I forgave it because of that smell. Adding onions to the mix, and I was in heaven.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I'm the opposite, used to like liver as a child, didn't even know it was liver, just thought it was a different cut of meat.

I've really tried to like it. It's not the taste it's the texture.. bleugh.

My next plan of attack is to try and hide it in a homemade burger.

Bah!

Just found out myfitnesspal doesn't allow you to adjust the goals by macros just ratios. The ratios increment in 5%. I guess its back to the good ole spreadsheets to work out a meal planner

• Advertisement

What about fitday?

What about fitday?

Fitday doesn't have really have irish brands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Bah!

Just found out myfitnesspal doesn't allow you to adjust the goals by macros just ratios. The ratios increment in 5%. I guess its back to the good ole spreadsheets to work out a meal planner

Where you adjust the percentages it has the macros beside it.

Ant11 wrote: »
    Where you adjust the percentages it has the macros beside it.

I just realised the calories was wrong so thats why I couldn't get macros right. Still not exactly right but fat is exact so protein/carbs can be a few grams up or down.

Why do all the militant vegans we get on this forum turn out to be fruitarians?

Either that or it's the same person coming back again and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

My next plan of attack is to try and hide it in a homemade burger.

I can struggle with liver, oddly I love it in a pate but I've no more toast to spread it on. I'm going to give that burger thing a go, I might but in some minced fried onion and garlic and I'll see what else I can shove in there! They will end up being massive!

Why do all the militant vegans we get on this forum turn out to be fruitarians?

Either that or it's the same person coming back again and again.

Zombie???(forgotten the last part) is either a vegatarian or vegan I don't remember but is normal.

I think it's the nature of the internet and extreme diets that they just search for people interested in health/diet/nutrition and try to 'convert' them but do a really bad job at it.

Orla K wrote: »
    Zombie???(forgotten the last part) is either a vegatarian or vegan I don't remember but is normal.

I think it's the nature of the internet and extreme diets that they just search for people interested in health/diet/nutrition and try to 'convert' them but do a really bad job at it.

Oh yeah, non-millitant veggies are fine, friend of mine is vegan and is so not like that. She makes the most amazing veggie dishes we can both enjoy!

Yeah the type I'm talking about is ones with 5 posts that storm onto random threads and start evangelising.

Oh yeah, non-millitant veggies are fine, friend of mine is vegan and is so not like that. She makes the most amazing veggie dishes we can both enjoy!

Yeah the type I'm talking about is ones with 5 posts that storm onto random threads and start evangelising.

I do have to credit the militant ones with something! I was watching a youtube video of one and a thought came into my head 'why bother?' I know it's going to take a serious health problem related to diet to make them change there minds and that mightn't even work. So what would getting into a back and forth arguement with them where they don't really pay attention to your points actually do? I realised it'd just get me annoyed. I decided with the militant ones that don't listen I don't bother.

It was about the same time as a raw food eater that ate raw fish and was going on about cholesterol and meat. They also said that they wanted to catch fish in the river when they saw them, I loled, I don't think they even new what tickling fish was(it may have a different name) since them I've been a bit meh about people like that.

There's also some other half reg posters that only seem to come on to argue, never anything constructive and it's arguing about the same thing everytime too and kind of pointless. I'm meh about them too.

I do have to credit the militant ones with something! I was watching a youtube video of one and a thought came into my head 'why bother?' I know it's going to take a serious health problem related to diet to make them change there minds and that mightn't even work. So what would getting into a back and forth arguement with them where they don't really pay attention to your points actually do? I realised it'd just get me annoyed. I decided with the militant ones that don't listen I don't bother.

It was about the same time as a raw food eater that ate raw fish and was going on about cholesterol and meat. They also said that they wanted to catch fish in the river when they saw them, I loled, I don't think they even new what tickling fish was(it may have a different name) since them I've been a bit meh about people like that.

There's also some other half reg posters that only seem to come on to argue, never anything constructive and it's arguing about the same thing everytime too and kind of pointless. I'm meh about them too.

Was it that duranrider guy?

"Eat 30 bananas a day!" Lol no.

Was it that duranrider guy?

"Eat 30 bananas a day!" Lol no.

I think the video was, I sometimes wonder does he have a few mental health issues due to a lack of omega 3, B12 or something.

I think the video was, I sometimes wonder does he have a few mental health issues due to a lack of omega 3, B12 or something.

Its all youtube fame game. Part of it is starting fights with other channels. I noticed he never calls out anyone with some scientific knowledge. The most popular target would be Ian McCarthy but he would make a fool out of him.

I say let the babies have their bottles. God knows they'll need liquid foods after their teeth start falling out from malnutrition. :D

Hey, I sympathise with them, I bet they feel phenomenal on their diet (for now). When you have that strong a reaction and you're surrounded by a slightly culty community to validate it followed by a slight persecution complex it's very natural to believe any ol' junky psuedoscience that backs up your personal experience. I was adamant for a while there that the healthiest diet was nothing but meat! Doi!:)

I've never seen a raw vegan that's been doing over 2 years and doesn't look like they just spent a long time in Auschwitz. It's very eating disorder-y.

He has publicly admitted he has B12 injections.

Right after working out a meal plan based on the above calculations and looking at the serving sizes, it is actually hard to overeat unless you are eating processed foods or drinking your calories. Cheaper too when you go Aldi :D

• Advertisement

Right after working out a meal plan based on the above calculations and looking at the serving sizes, it is actually hard to overeat unless you are eating processed foods or drinking your calories. Cheaper too when you go Aldi :D

Share! I'll guinea pig it for you!

Share! I'll guinea pig it for you!

No! you'll just drink a tub of double cream and say there is your calories :pac:

I'm happy with it now and have left space for tweaking between foods. I also secured some quark from Dunnes so I'll be mixing that with butterscotch whey to make angel delight :D

He has publicly admitted he has B12 injections.

I can't believe he did that, there's loads of videos of him going on about how paleo/primal people take a load of vitamins and he gets everything he needs from food blah blah blah.

His video of him saying he tried going primal and nearly died his really funny, he said he couldn't poo and that's why he nearly died.

Panda's post just reminded me there's new flavours of quest bars and I saw something about a cookie dough one coming out, don't know if that's true it's not on their website. But if it is I'm going to make icecream out of my cookies and cream whey get one of those bars chop it up along with chocolate pieces and mix it into the icecream. Protein cookie dough icecream!

I read this and I don't know what to think. Besides the comment Annette made reading through that page and another thyroid page it's full of people looking for help because they're not being medicated properly. It's horrible to think that people are going though most of their life feeling crap and with health problems and most of the medical community, in November Anthony Weetman was honored by Novo Nordisk Fonden he wrote an article “Whose Thyroid Hormone Is It anyway,” in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology he said if someone has optimal TSH then they must have functional somatoform disorder, or hypochondriacs

So a person having Sudden cardiac death is caused by imagining it:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I caught a little bit of the John Murray show this morning and they were doing the weekly piece on Operation Transformation. That 12 year old boy who weighed 21 stone was on; he's doing well with over 2 stone down already but god, it was depressing to hear his mother admit that one evening they came home and she had nothing prepared for dinner and she asked him if it would be ok if they got a takeaway curry if she got boiled rice with it :( Fortunately he said no but all I could think was what hope does he have if his mother doesn't seem to understand how serious his weight issue is.

hollypink wrote: »
    I caught a little bit of the John Murray show this morning and they were doing the weekly piece on Operation Transformation. That 12 year old boy who weighed 21 stone was on; he's doing well with over 2 stone down already but god, it was depressing to hear his mother admit that one evening they came home and she had nothing prepared for dinner and she asked him if it would be ok if they got a takeaway curry if she got boiled rice with it :( Fortunately he said no but all I could think was what hope does he have if his mother doesn't seem to understand how serious his weight issue is.

I didn't know 12 year old boys could weigh 21stone!

His mother is also fairly overweight. Good to know that he said no about the curry.

It's a shame that it got to a stage where he ended up at 21stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

His mother is also fairly overweight. Good to know that he said no about the curry.

It's a shame that it got to a stage where he ended up at 21stone.

It is good he said no to the curry, but I imagine that he is highly motivated at the moment because of the attention and getting a lot of support from the OT team, especially having to face the scary Dr Eva regularly. The trouble is, he has a long way to go and I don't know if the OT support will be there long term so at his age, he is going to be very dependent on his mother supporting him fully in eating healthily and keeping the necessary calorie deficit.

• Advertisement

Yeh that's very true.

One of the 'contestants' said last week something along the lines of wanting to make a permanent change and wasn't looking for a quick fix. I think this needs to be stressed more in the show.

I also think they should do more follow ups of the previous contestants.

Advertisement