Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Yeh I find the cups measurements very hard to work with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Re: Eczema, watch out for wheat and dairy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

i was unable to prevent a yolk from dropping into the mixture so the
    Do your separating in the bowl first before adding the other stuff, or separate it in a cup away from the mixture.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, ill do that in the future

can't find a single metric recipe so I'm just going to leave them until I can pick up some measuring cups myself. dont have too many eggs here and the coconut flour was dear enough that I don't want to go experimenting like crazy with it

I hate volumetric measurements. If you look online you can usually see conversions though, like 1 cup of coconut flour =150g. And work it out yourself.

You can also make your own measurement cups. 1 US cup is 236.5ml

If you have a good digital scale you could make one from a empty 500ml lemonade bottle. Cut the top off, zero the scale, fill until it is 118g with water, that will be a half cup, then 236g/ml (1g room temp water is about 1gram). Mark them with a permanent marker or scratch it on so it wont wash off.

• Advertisement

hrm 1 us cup of coconut flour is 112g apparently

ill give one of the other recipes a shot later in the day so

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

What dietary issues are generally linked with eczema?

My T line on my face along with my hair line is all red and inflamed. I've taken to rub e45 in.

Could I not getting enough vitamins/omega 3 or could it be something like wheat?

Vitamin D has been proven to help, can't find it now (not sure if it was published) but there was a little trial done on children that showed substantial improvement with supplementation.

Then there are a fair few trials with UVB lights that would effectively do the same thing. UVB does damage skin though, and hospital use is very carefully monitored, so be careful if going down that route.

Dietarily, anything that reduces inflammation could help. So curcumin (tumeric) and fresh fish, as well as a good vitamin e supplement (Jarrow's tocosorb is very good for skin overall in my experience)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Vitamin D has been proven to help, can't find it now (not sure if it was published) but there was a little trial done on children that showed substantial improvement with supplementation.

Then there are a fair few trials with UVB lights that would effectively do the same thing. UVB does damage skin though, and hospital use is very carefully monitored, so be careful if going down that route.

Dietarily, anything that reduces inflammation could help. So curcumin (tumeric) and fresh fish, as well as a good vitamin e supplement (Jarrow's tocosorb is very good for skin overall in my experience)

How many iu's of Vitamin D and E would i need?

How many iu's of Vitamin D and E would i need?

D depends on your blood levels, don't thing you'll go too wrong with 4,000IU in winter in Ireland. You might take 10,000IU for about 4 weeks to see if it makes a difference first.

Long term D supplementation needs to be balanced with retinol, magnesium and K2.

E just take one of the Jarrow tocosorb. You will notice a difference overnight.

D depends on your blood levels, don't thing you'll go too wrong with 4,000IU in winter in Ireland. You might take 10,000IU for about 4 weeks to see if it makes a difference first.

Long term D supplementation needs to be balanced with retinol, magnesium and K2.

E just take one of the Jarrow tocosorb. You will notice a difference overnight.

Thanks!

I started taking vitamin D today at 5000iu but i might increase to 10000iu in split dose to see if that helps. I'll look into the vitamin E

• Advertisement

Thanks!

I started taking vitamin D today at 5000iu but i might increase to 10000iu in split dose to see if that helps. I'll look into the vitamin E

Take it in the morning. Anecdotally it works better that way

coursera.org has a free video-lecture course which started yesterday.

About 3/4 hours of work a week for 10 weeks.

"Fundamentals of Human Nutrition"

No idea if it's going to be any good or not, but could be useful for some basics if people prefer lecture series to reading.

Am almost finished this week's lectures.

Woman is overweight, and has spent 15 minutes explaining how to log your food, fitting them into the USDA (GRAIN Farmers) recommended daily targets.

Sorry for the false alarm for something useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

hrm 1 us cup of coconut flour is 112g apparently

ill give one of the other recipes a shot later in the day so

If you'd like to make these instead and post me one I'd be very happy

Saw it on facebook

Ingredients (6 bars):
    - 75 g protein powder (I used micellar caseine, cocos flavor = night protein, XXL-nutrition)
    - 30 g coconut shavings
    - 40 g coconut flour
    - 300 ml low fat milk (or soy, almond,…)
    - 50 g 80 – 100 % dark chocolate

Directions:
    - toast the coconut shavings on a skillet
    - mix the toasted coconut shavings, protein powder, coconut flour and low fat milk together.
    - divide the mixture into six, and make six bars
    - melt your chocolate au bain marie (a glass bowl on top of a pot of boiling water).
    - when the chocolate is melted, coat your bars with it
    - Put the bars in the freezer or fridge (until chocolate is hard)

Nutritional facts (1 bar):
    Energy: 153 cal
    Protein: 15 g
    Carbohydrates: 7.5 g (sugar 7 g)
    Fat: 7 g (saturated 4 g = mostly mct’s from coconut)
    Fiber: 4.2 g

the only protein powder I have is unflavoured and I'm broke as hell this week but if I budget correctly next week I might pick up a scales and some coconut shavings and give them a go

i was gona give the tortillas another go tomorrow (i'm back at home) but I never realised when I was using the frying pan before that it's ****ing weird. it's raised in the middle, which explains why all my omelettes ended up falling apart when I tried to flip them so if I tried to make the tortillas (if i managed to get the mixture right) it'd be an absolute mess

have to buy a frying pan when I can before I can try them again, haven't given up on them yet.

Frying pans can warp if they are cooled to quickly, like if somebody puts it under a tap to clean after use.

You can try using your whey as an egg substitute in recipes too. I have for pancakes.

you mean like.. whey+water in place of the eggs?

Take it in the morning. Anecdotally it works better that way

I just realised I got this redness on my face after I started taking Difene last week. Side effects are skin rash :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

BBC News article on the addictiveness of sugar. Had to laugh at the bolded bit:
    Sugar Nutrition UK, a research body which is funded by the sugar manufacturers, refutes the suggestion that sugar is toxic or addictive.

"Sweet treats are not toxic. Major expert committees have considered the evidence in regards to sugars and all of the diseases addressed by Lustig, and all have concluded that there is no evidence of any harm attributed to current sugar consumption levels."
    They also said that sugar intake was not increasing in line with obesity rates.

"Sugar consumption in the UK has declined whilst obesity and diabetes rates have increased. Data from the government's national dietary surveys show that intakes of sugars have declined over the last decade, whilst rates of obesity and diabetes have been increasing."

Totally unbiased, yes? :D

you mean like.. whey+water in place of the eggs?
    Yes, I am always reading ingredients list and see whey in lots of things now.
    this page has some reasons, also says it can partially replace flour.
    http://www.usdec.org/files/Publications/1BAKERY.pdf
    http://www.usdec.org/files/pdfs/US08D_10.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

BBC News article on the addictiveness of sugar. Had to laugh at the bolded bit:

Totally unbiased, yes? :D

Whoops, here's the link that was supposed to be included in the quoted post:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21082629

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I just realised I got this redness on my face after I started taking Difene last week. Side effects are skin rash :(

Ah - I'm allergic to Difene too. I came out in a nasty itchy body rash about 10 years ago - after only 2 tablets - just as well there are other anti-inflammatories out there

Killer breakfast there.

Greek Yoghurt
    Frozen Raspberries
    2 tablespoons of milled linseed
    sprinkling of chopped hazelnuts
    sprinkling of dessicated coconut

Also a dessert option! Win win win

~ 20g protein, 25g of fat, 12g of carbs (8g fibre) - 400 kcals.

i had greek yoghurt and frozen berries for breakfast every morning for a good while, was delicious

I tried some nuts in there too but the crunchyness of the nuts and the fruit didn't go together as far as I was concerned. also tried some whey powder but it turned the yoghurt into some sort of horrible flavoured custard thing.

Whatever you do NEVER put descicated liver powder in yoghurt and eat it. You will gag and feel very sick. Tried this yesterday :o

liver... as in.... liver?

Ahhhh :eek: that reminds me of the guy making tuna milkshakes

Yep, this stuff:

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Liver-Powder-12-oz-340-g/656

One word. Bleeeuuuuughhh. I really can try most foods, I take cod liver oil by the spoonful but this was a bridge way too far..

I will try a smaller amount in some tomato soup tonight and see if that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Just got some test results back everything looks good thyroid is looking better, and lipids are now in range, LDL down from 5.8 to 2.7 HDL is up from 1.6 to 2.
    It's all thanks my thyroid hormone given to me by some pigs.

I also got serum B12 tested 700pg/ml no vegan here:D range is 200-660

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Orla K wrote: »
    Just got some test results back everything looks good thyroid is looking better, and lipids are now in range, LDL down from 5.8 to 2.7 HDL is up from 1.6 to 2.
    It's all thanks my thyroid hormone given to me by some pigs.

I also got serum B12 tested 700pg/ml no vegan here:D range is 200-660

Orla how long did it take for you to get a thyroid diagnosis? I seriously feel I have thyroid issues, I have a huge amount of the symptoms since I lost weight. Not to be a hypochondriac! I've had a thyroid check done 2/3 times and nothing :(

Advertisement